Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ In Lieu of Perfection ❯ XX - The Perfect Freedom ( Epilogue )

[ A - All Readers ]

The familiar rooftop of the day-care center came into sight. When is the last time I visited this place? “Down here,” I instructed Azure with a gesture of my hand pointing towards our destination.
 
My loyal Altaria squawked in agreement and lowered the altitude of flight. The puffy wings of clouds angled as she concentrated on descending from the sky without me falling of her back. Those intelligent eyes narrowed in concentration. I can feel the speed of the winds against my face increasing in intensity.
 
Land approaches. Soon Azure landed smoothly and gently on the ground, like a hot-air balloon. “Good job,” I praised her as I gave her a congratulatory rub on her head. She cooed delightfully as her tail waved from behind the white clouds that constitute her body.
 
Taking out my pokeball, I recalled her and turned towards the day-care center. She should have sensed my arrival by now, I guess. Taking a deep sign to compose myself, I pushed open the fence and entered.
 
<Welcome to the day-care. How can I help you?> her warm voice sounded in my head. There was no real sound, just the voice that goes straight into your mind, filling you with warmth.
 
The Gardevoir stood at the counter, playing cheerfully with a couple of young pokemon. After leading them back to the garden, she turned towards me. <Komicer,> her voice resonated in my mind, <How are you now?>
 
Hikari sure has changed, she has matured into an almost motherly figure here.
 
Things are fine, I guess. I came to see you and Blaze... where is the day-care lady?” I replied as I looked around for the old lady, it was habit to at least greet her.
 
Looking for me, young lad?” I heard and then, the small, bent figure of the day-care lady appeared at the door frame, “Came to check on your pokemon? I don't think they grew by a lot but you can take them back if you want.”
 
I laughed lightly. Technically, Hikari and Blaze are no longer my pokemon. I can officially released them but someone has got to repay the damage to the day-care center. They will have to work here until they fully repay the full sum.
 
Are they helping you much?” I asked the old lady. <Komicer!> Hikari exclaimed in indignation. The old lady nods with satisfaction.
 
They have helped us by quite a bit, I am very grateful for their presence. But I believe that the debt is cleared. Do you wish to take them back?”
 
I shook my head. A promise is a promise. “It is up to them,” I looked to Hikari.
 
The old lady smiled gently and then, bidding her farewell, she retreated back to her room.
 
What are you two going to do?” I asked. Hikari hugged an Abra and rocked it slightly in her arms, thinking.
 
<We would like to stay here. It is not that bad.> she finally answered, <We are thinking of adopting a child since...> she quieten down.
 
I nodded in understanding.
 
She smiled, almost sadly and continued in a happy tone, <I wanted to adopt a Mime Jr. but Blaze wanted a Magby. We decided on a Meditite in the end.>
 
What?” A vision of a pokemon with a garlic-liked bulb on its head appeared in my mind.
 
<Oh! It's not that bad...> Hikari exclaimed, evidently reading my feelings, <We have decided that I will teach him the psychic skills while Blaze trains his fighting ability.>
 
Where's Blaze?” I asked, not wanting to hurt Hikari's feeling by sticking to the subject. I personally thought that they could have just adopt both the Mime Jr. and Magby. They have after all became the de facto parents of all the abandoned pokemon in the center. There was also that new fighting/psychic evolution for male Kirilia in that other island elsewhere. I never liked that queer, blue pokemon they had in mind.
 
<Blaze should be back soon...> Hikari thought. Speak of the devil, Blaze came out of the door behind, with a number of sweaty, exhausted pokemon trailing behind him.
 
Blaz!” the Blaziken growled fiercely as he saw me. He had never truly forgiven my past deeds, the ugly scars that streaked across his arms and chest acts as a constant testament to those. For both him and I. According to Hikari, during rainy days, Blaze would lose all senses on his left arm.
 
<Blaze, calm down...> Hikari chided gently as she approached the fire pokemon. He relaxed, his frame sagged as Blaze grudgingly let himself down on the sofa, ordering his trainees to seat themselves down on the floor. Hikari sat down on the sofa beside him.
 
Blaz...iken?” Blaze asked, tending to the more boisterous youths of his group as he gave his best scowl.
 
I did not need Hikari's translation for that. It was the same all the time.
 
Ms. Kang is doing well, she seems to like water a lot. Junior too. Shockhound is still as lazy as ever, he had enjoyed his hibernation too much... Azure's here, you want to speak to her yourself?”
 
I took out Azure's pokeball and released the Altaria. The fluffy dragon pokemon started to talk animatedly with Blaze, small chuckles could be heard from them. They must be talking about the latest exploits of Kireihana.
 
Somehow Kireihana had gotten into her mind that the Scizor needs to be babied after he returned from that fight all injured. Now, she would not let the helpless Scizor out of her sight, keeping perched on his shoulders all the time. If she could ingrained herself, she would have done so.
 
Poor Scizor was at a loss on how to deal with the unusually feisty Bellossom. Interpersonal skills were never his forte. He could communicate better now, but he would rather be fighting. To think that my original plan for him was to be a baton-passer.
 
He had a strange habit nowadays of disappearing for a couple of days without telling anyone. It drove Kireihana so angry and even more clingy when he returned. We never knew where he went... then again, a lot of these younger pokemon at the day-care center somehow learnt to perform that sword dance...
 
I looked to Hikari and Blaze suspiciously but they gave nothing away.
 
It was admittedly, very peaceful now. Less stressful and less pressure. The pokemon seemed happier too.
 
When did I first notice it? I could not remember... these days of happiness just flew by so swiftly, leaving behind short, precious memories in its wake...
 
It was time to go. I slap my lap twice to remind Azure of the time.
 
Alt...” My dear Altaria squawked disappointedly as she made her final goodbyes with them.
 
It's okay, we'll be back,” I cheered her up as she returned to her pokeball.
 
<So soon?> Hikari asked gently.
 
Yes, I've got an appointment to keep...”
 
Hikari and Blaze stood up and walked me towards the door in silence, all of us thoughtful.
 
Just before I left, I turned around and looked back at my old pokemons.
 
Hikari was waving her green, slender hand to bid me farewell. <Come back again!>
 
Blaze with his right arm around her, gruffly mumbling something in Blaziken tongue at the constant nudging of Hikari. Probably a goodbye.
 
Them, surrounded by all those young, curious pokemon, yet to seen the outside world with all those different possible trainers. Some of them tugging gently at Blaze's feet, as if asking who that strange human was.
 
A strange feeling came to me... then,
 
Are you happy?”
 
I blurted out my question. Then I looked at them, looking at the scene I sense I was missing on.
 
They looked at each other, Hikari and Blaze. They did not speak a word but there was an understanding between each other.
 
Then, Hikari smiled warmly,
 
<Yes.>