Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Mirar ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
I love Chinese and Japanese snacks…
Why is romance so hard to develop? *Sigh*
Chapter 3
 
Dice are strange things. They never fall the way you want them to… Lance was finding that the role of trainer was amazingly simple. He was also discovering that he had talent in pokémon observation. He had no conceivable clue why, but he was not one to discount fortune. Red often remarked on it and said that Lance should try and get a pokedex from Oak.
Lance did not bother to enlighten Red to the fact that he lived underwater and the pokedex wouldn't survive that very well.
In any case, the two of them tromped all over Houen, spending a few weeks in each city to see the sights. Red was particularly fascinated with the Battle tents and the rented pokémon one could use.
Lace participated in several of those events as well, gleaning knowledge of land pokemon through rigorous training. Red was quite surprised when Lance turned out to win more, but he was already League Champion and really had nothing to prove.
In any case, it wasn't until after they got to the dry, dusty town of Lavaridge that Lance started acting odd again.
Red wondered if he was allergic to dust and dirt. Well, maybe not dirt, but maybe he was sensitive to dry climates?
Lance had been drinking water nonstop and had looked at Red like he was insane when Red had suggested a trip into the desert to catch the rare pokemon there.
“Are you all right, Lance?”
“I don't think so…”
“You look sick.”
“I feel dehydrated.” He said, the answer coming out perhaps a bit sharper than normal, and Red winced.
“I'm sorry. Maybe if you go sit in the hot springs you'll feel better? They're rumored to have healing effects.”
That was actually a good idea. He didn't bother to shed his clothes as he slid into the water with a relieved sigh. It was water, and that was what counted!
Red shook his head. His new friend had some sort of quirk with water; always spending long hours in it whenever possible, but not all people were the same and Lance was nice. So what if he was a bit off?
It was better to have a friend like that than a false friend…
 
 
He wasn't after the Houen badges though. After seeing the devastation that could be wrought with the Kanto badges - Silph Co. and the birds, melding pokemon three in one was creepy…
He knew that things would be different now, and that they probably would not be very good, but that did not stop him form hoping.
He wanted a real friend. Green and Blue were his friends, but they had others. Green had Yellow, and Blue had Silver. He was alone.
Did he want Lance as his significant other?
No way! He was still just a kid, right? The thought of romance was far from his mind, but seeing them together… he wanted…
Someone just for him…
 
“Red? You're being very quiet. Is something wrong?”
Red shook his head as he watched Lance splash around in the hot spring. “It's nothing.”
“Are you sure?”
“I just feel tired I guess. Its so dry and dusty here that I feel lifeless.”
“Well then, maybe a dip in these healing springs will cheer you up and cure you.” Lance suggested. Red considered. Why not?
He stripped down to his boxers and jumped into he water.
“Ne, Lance, are you afraid of getting sunburned?”
Lance blinked.
“I mean, I would have thought that the cape was hot, but you never take it off…”
So that was what Red was speaking of. Lance laughed. “I'm fine, really. Don't worry.”
Red nodded as he lounged in the water, closing his eyes. It felt so nice and warm… maybe he could just stay here for a while and relax…
He wasn't sure why he was so tense. It was irrational. The Team Rocket threat had been dealt with already. There were no crazy trainers challenging him here. Then why did he feel edgy?
It was something he could not remember but haunted him like a dogged chain. Red sighed as he popped open a can of Soda Pop and began consumption. Maybe he was just edgy… maybe peace was dulling his reflexes?
Nah couldn't be! He still spent a lot of time training pokemon. He was just glad that the edge of danger was gone.
 
“So.”
“So.” Red said, as they clambered out of the water. He felt like a prune, but honestly, he'd needed that soak. Lance on the other hand didn't even look wrinkled. He must have really good genetics.
They dried off and then headed towards the forested area. There, they set up their tents and watched the sun go down over Mount Chimney. It was very pretty, from a distance of course!
Even the grass was so clogged with volcanic ash that it was thick and gray. He was surprised that grass grew there at all…
Still, the ashes could be used to make things like flutes and furniture. They could head to Fallarbor Town next, maybe…
Would that involve crossing the desert? Maybe Aeroy could fly them.
“Lance?”
“Hmm?”
“Do you feel better now?”
“Yes.” The reply was sleepy. Red snuggled deeper into his sleeping bag as the stars began to show in the night above them. Dinner had been canned chicken noodle soup, but it hadn't been that bad, really…
“I'm glad.”
“What about you?”
“I needed that… we both did I guess. Well, let's head to Fallarbor tomorrow.”
Lance nodded sleepily and they both drifted off.
 
End Chapter
Completed 2/22/06
Started 2/21/06
Aight~! Evil midterms are over! Everyone cheer! ^^
Random fluff alert!