Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ My Pokemon Adventure ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Pokemon. If I did… I'd be filthy stinky rich, and this would be animated, not written.
 
A/N: This is an idea that started running around in my head and would NOT leave me alone. This will give me a small break from my other works, and let my other muses recover.
 
BTW this will overlap the canon series a little.
 
 
Chapter 1: Every Journey Needs a Start
 
A young boy sighed as he dropped the book he was reading and stared up at the ceiling of his room. The lad's name is Brian Amaru, son of an inventor and a former gym leader. At sixteen years of age, he was more of a young man than boy. He sighed again as he glanced at the wall clock in his room.
 
Tomorrow, he thought with a bit of excitement. Tomorrow I'll finally be able to go on an adventure.
 
“Brian!!” called his mother. “Dinner is almost done. Come help set the table!”
 
Brian got up off his bed and went downstairs to help his loving mother. Being six foot one, Brian had a large reach advantage over his 5'4” mother, so he was expected to help when she needed something on a higher shelf.
 
Despite her small size, Shanna Amaru used to be one of the best gym leaders in Kanto. She had dark brown hair that went to her shoulders, and shinning green eyes. She had to retire when she became pregnant with Brian, but she was not upset. When asked why she never went back to the gym, she simply stated it was now time for her to be the leader of her family.
 
Brian chuckled as he took out the plates and bowls from various cabinets. “You know, you could use a few of you pokemon to help you out, instead of me.”
 
His mother looked up from the pot she was stirring and smiled back at him. “If I did that, I'd never get you out of that room of yours. And I happen to like seeing your pretty little baby face.” She pinched his cheeks for emphasis.
 
“Mom…” Brian cried. “I'm not a little boy anymore. I'm a teenager, and should be treated as one.”
 
“That will happen when you start acting like one,” said a new voice.
 
Brian looked to the kitchen entrance to see his father leaning on the frame of the doorway. “Hey Dad. How was work at the lab today?”
 
David Amaru was a large man, a 6' 3” man to be exact. He had done a lot of weight training in his youth that resulted in giving him an intimidating figure. But to everyone that knew him, he was nothing but a big softy. David was the head of the R&D department of the Silph Co branch that looked for new ways to help trainers and their pokemon. Several of his ideas had already been put into mass production, including the famed PokeGear.
 
David just smiled as he ruffled his son's long hair. “My co-workers couldn't stop asking about ya. They all send their best wishes for you tomorrow. What's for dinner Pretty Momma?”
 
Shanna smiled at obvious flirt. “You'll see soon enough, you good looking man.”
 
Brian diverted his attention away from his parents. They've been married for 17 years now. Yet they still act like newlyweds at times, especially when I'm in the room. There are just some things that kids just did not need to watch their parents do. “If you two are done over there, everything's ready for the food.”
 
His folks laughed at the embarrassment in his voice and brought the food to the table.
 
“So,” began Shanna. “Have you said good-bye to all of your friends yet?”
 
Brian nodded a little sadly. “Some of them are a little jealous of me, but all of them wished me the best. Some of them even got me a few gifts.”
 
“Really?” asked David. “What did they get you?”
 
Brian smiled. “I got a new jacket, a new hat, and gloves. Also, I currently have more pokeballs than I can count. Along with the tent and sleeping bag from grandma, I'm all set for this.”
 
Shanna smiled as she shared a look with her husband. “On another note, have you decided what your starter is going to be?”
 
Brian shook his head. “Each has their pluses and minuses, so it's kinda hard to decide.”
 
“Why don't you sleep on it?” suggested his father. “Maybe you'll figure it out in your dreams.”
 
Brian rolled his eyes. “Dad, I've been studying pokemon for over half my life. I think I'll be able to make a logical decision.” He sighed. “Besides, I doubt I'll be able to get the pokemon I really want.”
 
Shanna shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe you'll come across it in your travels.”
 
Brian smiled wistfully. “Maybe. I still can't believe you're gonna let me go off on my own. I know you're gonna worry about me and all, but this is something that I feel that I must do.”
 
His dad looked at him with appreciation in his eyes. “We've gone over this a hundred times already. We know we couldn't stop you if we tried, but you do remember the conditions, right?”
 
Brian nodded. “If I can't get eight badges by the time of the next Indigo conference, then I have to stop and come home.”
 
His mom rubbed his back. “Don't worry to much about it, you have about a year to do it. Some trainers get their badges in only a few months. And I do hope that you'll try and visit sometime.”
 
Brian laughed. “It almost seems like I'm leaving right now.”
 
Shanna smirked. “Well you're not leaving until you finish all of your chores for the last time.”
 
The whole family laughed at that. The rest of the conversations were nothing but small talk.
 
-------------
 
Brian smiled as he watched the sun rise the next morning. He had barely slept a wink. He quickly took a shower to get cleaned and refreshed then tried to decide on what to wear. He smiled as he remembered the gifts.
 
Soon Brian looked at his finished project in the full-length mirror. He wore his favorite pair of jeans that had a tare in the right knee. He liked the way his new long sleeved red windbreaker looked over his favorite shirt. The shirt was white with a red pokeball around the stomach. Brian picked up the hat his best friend got him. It was red with a black symbol on the front that meant “dragon”. He tied his long hair back into a ponytail that reached the middle of his shoulder blades then slipped on the hat. He put it backwards and off-centered to his right. The final touch was his sunglasses.
 
These held a special place in Brian's heart, as they were the first, and last, present from his uncle. He shook his head to clear the unhappy memories. This is gonna be one of the best days of my life, he told himself. I can't get sad. He then proceeded to pack a few change of clothes as well as a relatively large pile of pokeballs. As he was tying on his sleeping bag and tent to his backpack he heard his mom call him for breakfast.
 
Brian grinned, as he smelled all of his favorite breakfast items: Eggs, bacon, toast, and pancakes. A huge helping of each was piled on his plate. He eye sparkled as continued to gaze at the mountainous mound of food.
 
“If you keep your mouth open, you'll attract zubats,” his dad joked from the stove.
 
Brian's mouth shut with a loud snap. He then grinned and started eating his full.
 
Shanna giggled as she watched her son eat his last meal with his family. If only he wasn't an only child, she thought sadly. Then this wouldn't be so hard. She placed a pill bottle in front of the rapidly vanishing pile of food. “Don't forget your medicine,” she said in a singsong voice.
 
Brian paused long enough to send his mother a small glare, then continued to stuff his face. “I know, Mother,” came the muffled reply. Shanna smacked him lightly on his head.
 
“First: Don't talk with your mouth full. Second: Don't talk to your mother in that tone of voice,” she stated in lecture mode. She then started going off on how she was going to miss her baby boy and so on. Brian just rolled his eyes as he tuned her out.
 
That's one thing I know I'm not gonna miss, he thought with a smile. This food on the other hand… Brian continued to eat until he felt like his stomach was going to burst. He sighed with content as his parents cleared the table and set the dishes in the sink. “Um… Do you want me to do those before I leave?”
 
His mom just shook her head.
 
“But we do have a couple of presents for you,” said David. “If you gather up the rest of your stuff and meet us outside, you'll see what they are.” He laughed as he watched his son race up the stairs. “I haven't seen him move that fast since the ice-cream store had a three-for-one sale.”
 
-------------
 
Brian hopped from one foot to the other as he waited for his parents. He was very excited to find out what they were going to give him. Soon they walked outside with a couple of wrapped boxes.
 
“Here,” said David. “This is from me and my co-workers.”
 
Brian hurriedly opened the package to find a strange device. “What the heck is this?” He asked as he examined it. The device was red, about 5 inches long, and as wide as his wrist. There was a screen in the center with a few buttons around it.
 
His dad grinned. “That, my son, is the latest version of the PokeGear, called PokeCompleate. It has all the functions of the PokeGear; Phone, map, and radio as well as an internal PokeDex.”
 
Brian blinked as he looked at the device. “Really?” His dad nodded. “Can I still wear it on my wrist?” His dad nodded again and showed him how to do it. “This is wicked! Thank you so much!!” Brian gave his father a big hug.
 
“You still haven't opened my gift,” Shanna said simply.
 
“I don't see what could be better than Dad's gift,” Brian replied with a huge grin on his face.
 
“You might be surprised,” she said with a wink. “Now open it.”
 
Brian did so with high hopes. Soon he came upon the contents of the box and it was…
 
“… Another pokeball?” he asked with a mix of confusion and disappointment. “No offence, but I already have about fifty of these.”
 
Shanna and David smiled. “Try throwing it,” suggested Shanna.
 
Brian looked at his smiling parents then at the ball. He shrugged and tossed it a short distance away. “Pokeball, GO!”
 
The ball opened with a flash of white light. The light soon took the form of a five-foot blue and white pokemon.
 
“Tini,” said the pokemon as it looked happily at Brian.
 
Brian stared in disbelief at the rare dragon pokemon in front of him. “It's… it's… a Dratini!!” he cried excitedly. “I don't believe it!! How'd you get one?”
 
Shanna giggled as she watched her son start fawning over his first pokemon. “An old friend of mine caught it for me. Since you couldn't decide on your starter, your dad and I figured that this would make the best one.”
 
Brian was so happy that he was almost in tears. “You have no idea how much this means to me.” He looked at his new partner. “It looks like we're gonna be the best of friends, right?”
 
Dratini smiled and tackled Brian in what appeared to be a hug. This got everyone laughing.
 
“One more thing, Brian,” said his father as he calmed down.
 
“What is it?” he asked.
 
“You know you can only carry six pokemon at a time, and the rest get sent to wherever you got your PokeDex?” Brian nodded. “Well, since you got your PokeDex here, your pokemon will be sent here.”
 
Brian blinked. “You serious?”
 
Shanna nodded. “Your dad fixed up the shed in the back to have a Pokemon Transporter. Now all of you pokemon will be sent to us.”
 
Brian looked at his parents with a small smile. “If that is everything, I guess it's time I hit the road.”
 
His mother started crying. “Be safe my baby. Don't forget to take you medication. And call home often, and—“
 
“Dear,” said David calmly. “It's time for him to go.”
 
She nodded sadly. “Alright. I wish you a safe trip.”
 
Brian gave both of his parents a good-bye hug and returned Dratini to its pokeball. “Okay I call you after I make it to Viridian City. Until then, see ya!”
 
Brian took off at a slow jog out of his hometown of Pineseed, towards a life of adventure.
 
End for now
 
A/N: In the next installment Brian gets his trainer's card from Prof. Oak, as well as catches his first pokemon. You also get a glimpse as to why he could not go on this journey earlier.
 
Brian is not going to be a super powerful trainer. He will lose on occasion, but like Ash, he will become victorious in the end. Also, Dratini is going to be his only super rare pokemon, all the rest are going to be ones he catches like other trainers.
 
In case you're wondering: The PokeCompleate looks similar to a red GBA.