Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ My Pokemon Adventure ❯ Chapter 2

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Don't own Pokemon. Unless you count in a video game… Brian Amaru is my OC and no one else's. So there (sticks out tongue) biiiiiiiiiiiiii!!
 
A/N: This chapter is going to be a bit longer than my last one. And thank you to all who reviewed. My new muse really liked them.
 
Another thing, I will refer to pokemon as genderless until they are caught, or they are the kind with only one gender. (Jynx, Nidorino, etc.)
 
Now story time
 
Chapter 2: The PokeProfessor
 
Brian sat under a tree around Noon for a short break. He had been walking for the past few hours and was really tired, though he would not admit it. He was too excited to feel tired. His body on the other hand, sang different tune. Brian massaged his chest for a minute before digging in his pack for his medicine bottle.
 
Dang, he thought angrily. I thought I was over this, and my stamina was better. He took a pill from the bottle and washed it down with some water from his canteen. Can't go anywhere for a little while. Might as well see what attacks Dratini knows. “Dratini, come on out!”
 
“Tini!” it yelled as it appeared.
 
“Let's see what you can do, okay?”
 
Dratini cried happily as Brian started trying out different attacks.
 
-------------
 
Brian adjusted his sunglasses as he saw a town in the distance.
 
That must be Pallet Town, he thought with some anticipation. I should be there in less than a half-hour. After training with Dratini, Brian opted to continue traveling at a slower pace. It took him longer than he wanted, but he also knew it was safer for him.
 
He did arrive in the town sooner than he expected, so he was not too upset. Now I just need to find Professor Oak's lab. He looked around the relatively small town. “And that would be where?” he asked no one. Brian sighed as he realized he was lost. He wanted to ask someone, except there was no one around.
 
“GET BACK HERE YOU!!!!” yelled an angry voice.
 
Brian turned around to see a boy chasing a small yellow pokemon. Brian pointed his PokeComplete at the yellow pokemon.
 
“Pikachu, the mouse pokemon,” said the male computer voice. “It has small electrical sacs on both of its cheeks. If threatened, it looses electric charges from the sacs.”
 
“An electric pokemon, eh?” Brian pulled out the pokeball containing his partner. “Dratini, let's go!!”
 
Dratini appeared in front of the pikachu stopping it from running. The boy stopped as well but further back.
 
“Dratini, use Slam!” Brian called out.
 
Dratini twisted around to hit the pikachu with his tail. The pikachu dodged and countered with a Thundershock. Dratini was able to dodge as well, now the two pokemon just stared at each other.
 
Brian carefully watched the pikachu for any movements. This will probably hurt Dratini, but if I don't, the pokemon might get away. “Dratini, use Wrap!”
 
Dratini lunged at the pikachu and wrapped his long body around the smaller pokemon. The pikachu was to concerned with getting out, that it did not use another electric attack. Soon the pikachu stopped struggling and Brian took out one of his numerous pokeballs.
 
“Pokeball GO!!” The ball hit, and the pikachu vanished in a flash of red light. The ball then started twitching for a few seconds before staying still. Brian had a large grin on his face as he picked up his new pokemon. “Alright! I caught a pikachu!!”
 
“Dratini!” Dratini cried, happy that he was able to help get a new friend.
 
“Wow! That was so cool!” exclaimed the boy. “I've only seen pokemon battles on TV, but that was so cool and is that a rare pokemon? Can you tell me how—“ Brian held up a hand to stop the boy's rambling. “Eh heh, guess I'm talking to much. Sorry.” He bowed his head in apology.
 
Brian just smiled at the youth. “You can make it up to me by taking me to Prof. Oak's lab.”
 
The boy smiled. “Is that all? Sure. I can show you where he lives.”
 
Brian nodded. “Dratini, return.” The dragon pokemon returned to his pokeball then the two bays started walking. “My name's Brian Amaru, what's yours?”
 
“Ash Ketchum,” replied the boy. “I'm gonna be the world's best Pokemon Master!”
 
Brian smirked as he saw the look of complete determination in the boy's eyes. “If that's your dream, you're gonna have to beat me first.”
 
Ash blinked then smirked as well. “Fine then. When I get my pokemon, I'll challenge you to a battle.”
 
“You don't have one yet?” Brian asked surprised.
 
Ash scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. “I'm not ten yet. But I will be next month.”
 
Brian nodded. “Cool. By the way, why were you chasing that pikachu?”
 
Ash groaned. “The little thing was chewing the wires in my house. Mom wanted me to catch it and release it out in the woods, but it just ran off after almost zapping me.”
 
Brian started laughing. “That, I would pay money to see.”
 
Ash just pouted while thinking how he would never be able to train a pikachu.
 
-------------
 
“So that's it, right?” Brian asked in a slight awe as he looked at the white building on the top of a hill with a windmill in front.
 
Ash smiled. “Yep. You just go up this path and you'll be there.” He then started running up said path. “Come on! I'll race ya!”
 
Brian sighed as he looked up the long path. Better not risk it, he thought bitterly. “Sorry Ash, but I've been walking all day. I just don't have the strength to race you,” he half-lied.
 
Ash pouted again. “Your no fun. How about you have dinner with me and my mom?” he asked as Brian caught up with him.
 
Brian shrugged. “We'll see. I need to get my Trainer's Card from the Professor, and get registered. We don't have a Pokemon Center in my town, and this is the closest place.”
 
“Really? Where are you from?” Ash asked with interest.
 
“Pineseed,” was the simple reply. They entered the main building to find it very empty.
 
“Hello?” called Brian. “Anyone here?”
 
“Yes,” replied a voice from the back. “Come on in, I'll be right with you.”
 
Ash and Brian took a seat in the small living room to the right of the doorway. They did not have to wait long as an older man entered through another door.
 
“Ah, hello there Ash,” said the man. “I wasn't expecting you today. Who's your new friend? I haven't seen him around here before.”
 
“My name's Brian Amaru. I'm here to get my Trainer's Card.”
 
The man smiled warmly. “I see. You're the son of my dear friend David.” Brian nodded. “I'm Professor Samuel Oak, it's nice to meet you. So he finally let you go out on your own? I figured you'd be older than me before he'd allow it.” He started laughing at his own joke.
 
Brian grimaced. “I don't mean to be rude, but I'd really like to get my Card and be on my way.”
 
Prof. Oak looked at Brian with a small amount of concern. “Even if you left now, it'd be well after dark before to got to Viridian City. So just relax, the pokemon and Gyms aren't going anywhere.”
 
Brian sighed in defeat. “I guess you're right.” He turned and smiled at Ash. “Looks like I'll be able to take you up on that dinner offer.”
 
Oak smiled at the two boys. “You're in luck then. Mrs. Ketchum is one of the best cooks in town. Now if you would follow me, we'll be able to get you Trainer's Card.”
 
Brian and Ash followed Prof. Oak to his office, which was nearly three times the size of the living room. It had a spiral staircase that lead to a small loft next to a two-story window wall. The wall to his right had floor to ceiling bookshelves, all filled with books of various pokemon legends and research. Finally, at the back of the room was a large computer with a smaller counsel on a desk in front of it.
 
Brian could only say one word. “Whoa…”
 
Prof. Oak smiled as he watched his friend's son eagerly look at everything in his main study/office. “Now I need you to come over here and answer a few questions for me,” he instructed to get Brian's attention. “Now first: Name?”
 
“Brian Amaru.”
 
“Hometown?”
 
“Pineseed. Height: 6'1”, Weight: 158 lbs, Eyes: green, Hair: dark brown.”
 
“Starter?” Oak asked with some interest.
 
“Dratini,” Brian replied without missing a beat.
 
The pokemon professor stopped typing. “Stop joking and tell me which pokemon you are going to start with.”
 
Brian gave a frustrated sigh before releasing Dratini. When the professor saw the rare pokemon, his eyes nearly jumped out of his sockets.
 
“When… How…” he asked with complete disbelief as he tried to get a closer look at the dragon pokemon. Dratini hid behind Brian with a nervous look in his eyes.
 
“An old friend of my mom caught it for me,” Brian replied while comforting his scared friend. “Apparently he gets nervous around other people he doesn't know.”
 
Prof. Oak just looked at how the young dragon seemed to draw strength from his trainer. He's only had that pokemon for less than a day, and it's already very attached to him. He has great potential as a trainer. “Forgive me. It's just that I don't get to see such a pokemon in person very often.”
 
“So it is a rare pokemon?” asked Ash.
 
Brian nodded as he returned Dratini to his ball. “Very rare, but not as rare as some of the other pokemon out there.”
 
Oak went back to the computer to finish entering Brian's data. Everything was going okay until they got to a certain part.
 
“Medical problems?” Prof. Oak asked hesitantly.
 
Brian just sighed and handed Oak a small disk. “Just attach the file,” he said flatly. Ash looked at his new friend questioningly. “I don't wanna talk about it,” Brian stated firmly. “Please don't ask.”
 
Ash only nodded, but decided he would ask about it at a later date. Professor Oak finished putting in the necessary data. All that was left was Brian's picture. Brian gave a smirk at the camera.
 
“You know, there's no need to be cocky,” commented Oak.
 
“I'm not cocky, I'm confident. There's a difference,” Brian replied with a smile.
 
The professor just smiled as he shook his head. “Kids these days…” He handed Brain the completed Trainer's Card. “Here you go. This will allow you to enter the Pokemon League Challenge. Now, as I'm sure you know, all you have to do is collect at least eight badges. This is not gonna be an easy task.”
 
Brian sighed as he waved off the professor. “I know all of that already. I've study pokemon and the league rules for most of my life. If I'm not ready now, I'll never be.”
 
Prof. Oak sighed. “Okay. Just be careful. There are people out there that will mistreat pokemon and will try and steal yours.”
 
Brian gave Oak the same confident smirk he had in his picture. “Don't worry. I have a few tricks of my own. Come on Ash, let's let your mom know she gonna have a guest.”
 
-------------
 
Brian looked out the window of the guest room and smiled at the moon. He had a delightful evening and could not sleep. He was far too happy. He never expected to make a new friend his first day out of Pineseed, but he did.
 
I wonder how many friends or rivals I'll make on this journey? He thought as he laid down in the bed. I hope it's enough to keep the adventure interesting. He chuckled to himself at the thought of thousands of people lining up to try and beat him. If I'm going to be the best, then I have to train like the best. Tomorrow I train Dratini and Pikachu a bit before I head out. Then I catch more pokemon. He smiled at the idea of having a near unbeatable team.
 
He sat up suddenly and grabbed his chest. His face was contorted with pain as cold sweat dripped down his face.
 
Not here! Not now! He grabbed his pill bottle from the nightstand and swallowed two pills. Soon the pain subsided and he was able to breath easy again. “Danggit! Two in one day. This is not looking good…” Brian took a few deep breaths to try and calm himself. He fell asleep soon afterwards.
 
Outside the door, Ash's mother watched the whole event with troubled eyes.
 
-------------
 
Ash awoke the next morning to loud sounds coming from his backyard. He glanced out his window to see his new friend doing something with his pokemon. Ash quickly dressed and rushed out the door to see what was happening.
 
“Okay, Dratini. Try it again,” said Brian.
 
Dratini nodded a little tiredly, but it still looked determine to complete whatever his task was.
 
“What are you doing?” Ash asked with interest.
 
Brian looked over to give his host a big smile. “Good morning to you, too.” He then whistled. This caused his new pikachu to run over from the other end of the yard.
 
“What was it doing out there?” Ash asked as he tried to figure out what was going on.
 
Brian held up a figure to say he would deal with Ash in a moment. “Let's take a break. You two have been working hard.” He poured some water in a couple of bowls for his pokemon. “Now I can answer the questions of Mr. Inquisitive over here.” He smiled as Ash looked irritated.
 
“I want to know what you're doing out here so early in the morning!”
 
Brian smiled as he replied, “Training.”
 
Ash blinked. “Training? This early?”
 
Brian nodded. “Sure, why not? I'm willing to bet that there are trainers who are pushing their pokemon a lot more than this. But, I'm not them, so I'm not going to push them anymore than I feel is necessary.”
 
“So what are you doing, exactly?” Ash asked with interest.
 
Brian held up a tennis ball. “I'm having Dratini practice hitting these with his Slam attack. Also, I'm having Pikachu try and catch them with his Agility and Quick Attack.” Ash looked blackly back at Brian who sighed. “Dratini will be able to improve on his accuracy while Pikachu works on speed and evasion. Do you understand?”
 
Ash nodded mutely.
 
“Good. Now I'm going to be heading out after breakfast—“
 
“What? So soon?!” Ash asked with obvious disappointment in his voice.
 
Brian blinked. “Yea. I don't want to overstay my welcome, and it's gonna take me a while to get to Viridian City. So I'd like to get going as soon as possible.” Brian turned to his pokemon. “Pikachu, go find the other two balls and try throwing them over here.”
 
“Pika!” Pikachu cried happily as he ran off.
 
“Breakfast's ready!” called Mrs. Ketchum from the kitchen window. “Come get it before it gets cold!”
 
 
“Okay!” replied the hungry boys.
 
-------------
 
Brian smiled as he looked back at Pallet Town. I'll stop by soon enough, he mentally promised. “Now on to Viridian City!”
 
As he walked he felt something in one of his pockets. It turned out to be a letter:
 
Brian,
 
I know of your illness, but I won't tell anyone. Ash's father had the same thing, so below is a list of doctors that specialize in treating people with your condition. I know that there is nothing I could say to you to stop you. All I ask is that you be careful in you journey, you already seem like a second son to me.
 
Mrs. Ketchum
 
Brian smiled as he read the letter. She really does care. She even has the cities that they're located in. “I promise to take good care of myself, so don't worry. You'll be doing enough of that when Ash starts his own journey.”
 
He looked down the road that lead to Viridian City and gave the biggest grin in his life. “Look out world! Brian Amaru is going to make his mark in you!!”
 
End for now
 
Next Chapter: New City, New Pokemon
 
A/N: Read and review if you want. Muses like them.