Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ My Pokemon Adventure ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon so don't sue. I have nothing anyway.
 
A/N: Thanks again to the people who reviewed. My muse really liked them.
Sorry for the long update. I got a full time job, which takes up most of my time. Hopefully the next chapter will come out faster.
 
Now Story Time!!
 
Chapter 3: To Viridian City
 
Brian gave an irritated sigh as he glanced around the field. He had been out on the road for two hours and had yet to run into any wild pokemon. This fact was starting to eat away at his patients. He angrily kicked a stone into the tall grass.
 
“This bites!” he grumbled as he walked down the road. “I can't waste too much time here. I gotta get to Viridian City before dark or else—ACK!” Brian cried as he fell face first into a mud puddle. Great… just… super… He sat up and wiped some of the mud from his face. As he was getting up, something knocked him forward and into the puddle again. Alright! When I find out who's doing this…
 
Brian quickly jumped up and rolled into the grass to hide himself. “Let's see who the prankster is.” As he looked around something struck his head. “YEOW!!” He glanced up in the sky as he rubbed his head. “What the?” He pointed his PokeComplete at the bird pokemon that was circling him.
 
“Spearow, the Tiny Bird Pokemon,” said DAN, the computer voice of the PokeComplete. “Spearow has a very loud cry that can be heard over half a mile away. If its high, keening cry is heard echoing all around, it is a sign that they are warning each other of danger.”
 
Great, Brian thought sarcastically. That means that they fly in groups. I have to be careful. He squinted his eyes to try and see the bird pokemon better, and saw a big bump on the back of its head.
 
Brian gulped. “Did I accidentally hit it when I kicked that rock?” He shook his head. “Even if I did, this pokemon seems fearless to attack an opponent larger than itself. I've goatta catch it.” And fast. I don't feel like dealing with a whole flock of them. “Pikachu, time to fight!” He called as he threw the pokeball.
 
“Pikachu!” cried Pikachu as he appeared.
 
“Pikachu, use Thundershock on that spearow!” Brian pointed to the offending pokemon that was just about to dive bomb Brian's head again.
 
“Pika-CHU!!!” yelled Pikachu as he unleashed the electric attack at the flying pokemon. The attack struck home and the spearow started to fall out of the air.
 
That attack must have paralyzed it. “Pokeball, GO!!” The ball hit true and the bird pokemon vanished in a flash of red light. When the ball landed it shook a few times before staying still.
 
Brian jumped in celebration. “Yes! I caught my second pokemon!”
 
“Pi-pikachu!”
 
“Great job, Pikachu. Now return.” Brian smiled as he retrieved his new pokemon. “Soon you'll forgive me, Spearow. But for now, take a good rest.”
 
-------------
 
Brian smiled as he saw Viridian City in the distance. Great! Now I can clean up, he thought excitedly. He started running towards the city when he heard something that caused him to stop.
 
It was the sound of kids picking on someone or something. Brian altered his course and ran through the bushes until he came upon one of his most hated scenes. Kids throwing stones and sticks at a down pokemon.
 
“Hey! Cut that out!” Brian yelled at the three young punks to get their attention. The boys were no older then eight or nine, yet they seemed to have the attitude of someone twice their age.
 
“What's it to you?” sneered the tallest of the three boys. “This pokemon was in our secret hideout. So we have to make it leave.”
 
Brian looked at the pokemon. It was a mankey, but it did not look like it could go anywhere. “Did you ever consider why the pokemon was here?” Brian demanded hotly.
 
“Why should we care?” scoffed the second boy. “All the other pokemon that trespassed ran away as soon as we arrived.”
 
Brian glared at the youths as he took another look at the mankey. There are a lot of scratches and bruises. But those could be from the boys. He noticed that the pokemon was holding one of its arms. It could have a broken arm. That's why it didn't run off. It couldn't. He felt his anger rise higher.
 
“Hey, buddy,” called the last member for the little group. “You know you're also in our secret hideout. So you better leave before we ruff you up like that pokemon!”
 
Brain clenched his hands so tightly that his knuckles turned white. “Oh, someone's gonna be ruffed up, and it won't be me! Pikachu, use Thundershock!!”
 
Pikachu emerged and let lose a mild Thundershock on the three boys. This caused them to run away crying. Brian sighed a little in regret. I shouldn'tve done that. That makes me no better than them. He pulled out a potion from his bag and turned back to the injured pokemon.
 
“Hey there,” he said in a small kind voice. “The bad kids are gone, and I'm going to help you.”
 
“…key?” said the mankey weakly.
 
“This is gonna sting, but it will help prevent infection.” Brian then spayed the potion on some of the cuts.
 
“Mankey!!” it cried in pain. It then tried to get away, but fell down again.
 
Brian frowned as he ran through his options. I've got to get it to a center, but I don't know if I'll be able to get it there safely unless I catch it. But to catch it in such a state would be dishonorable. Brian nodded to himself as he made his decision. “Sorry about this, Mankey.” He tossed a pokeball at the injured pokemon and it vanished into the ball.
 
“Let's go Pikachu!” he called to his other partner.
 
“Pika!” Pikachu cried as he raced after his trainer.
 
-------------
 
Brian and Pikachu raced to the Pokemon Center near the middle of the city. As soon as he entered the Pokemon Center the nurse took one look at his ragged appearance and raised an eyebrow.
 
“I'll explain everything later, but right now I have a pokemon that is in very bad condition.” He released Mankey in his arms to show the nurse.
 
“Oh my goodness!!” she cried. She then hit a button on the counter. “I need a stretcher here ASAP and prep the ER!”
 
Suddenly a pair of chansey appeared and took the mankey away on a stretcher. Brian was about to follow, but the nurse stood in his way.
 
“Mind telling me how this happened?” she asked with an angry expression. “I might not be able to give it the correct care, unless I know how the injuries were sustained.”
 
Brian frowned. “I found it like that…” he answered sadly.
 
The nurse's face softened a little. “Go on.”
 
“It was laying hurt and three kids were throwing sticks and rocks at it. My pikachu and I chased them away. Then I tried to spray some potion on the wounds, but that only caused it more pain…” Brian started to feel tears in his eyes as he thought about the mankey.
 
A person who cares this much for pokemon, would never-- could never hurt one like that, thought the nurse. “Okay. I'll see what I can do, but it will be awhile until it's fully recovered.”
 
Brian smiled at the nurse. “Yes! I understand, just do what you can to save him.”
 
-------------
 
Brian paced around the waiting room in an agitated state. He had cleaned up and was feeding his other pokemon, but they were more interested in watching their trainer walk in constant circles.
 
Dratini and Pikachu watched with some worry on their faces while Spearow just kept a careful eye on Brian. He was curious as to why his trainer was worried over some pokemon that was stupid enough to get beat up by human children.
 
“Excuse me,” said a new voice. “Is that your pikachu?”
 
Brian turned to the speaker and saw a young woman in a police uniform. She had blue hair that sprayed in every direction under her hat. What caught Brian's attention was the stern expression that she had on. He gulped involuntarily.
 
“Uh… yes he is, officer. Why do you ask?”
 
The officer walked up Brian with her face never wavering. “My name's Officer Jenny. I just received a complaint from three local boys saying: a teenager and his pikachu bullied them. And you match the description of the teenager.”
 
Brian felt his hands clench into fists again as he thought of the lies the punks were spreading about him.
 
“What else did they say about me?” he asked as calmly as he could.
 
Jenny blinked. “You're not going to deny the charges?” she asked honestly confused.
 
Brian looked her in the eye. “Why should I? I know what I did was wrong, but I had good a reason for what I did.”
 
Officer Jenny just studied the young man in front of her. Most people would outright deny any charges brought against them, even if they were guilty. But here was a person honestly admitting that he did something wrong, something did not add up.
 
“It's standard procedure for me to get your statement of the incident.” Jenny pulled out a small notebook. “Now could you please tell me what happened?”
 
Brian blinked then told the officer a more detailed version of the event. As he was telling the story he noticed that Jenny was writing a lot harder than was necessary and she seemed to have developed a nice twitch with her left eyebrow.
 
“Um… Ms. Jenny? Are you okay?” he asked nervously.
 
“Huh? Uh, yes I'm fine,” she replied with an uneasy smile. Brian was about to continue with his statement when the light above the ER went off.
 
The nurse that talked with Brian earlier walked out with a small smile. “Good news. Mankey will make a full recovery.”
 
“What about his arm?” Brian asked.
 
“It was only sprained. It should be fully healed by tomorrow afternoon.” She then noticed Brian's other pokemon. “Are these your pokemon?” she asked excitedly.
 
Brian blushed a little. “Yeah… Dratini was my starter. I caught Pikachu while I was staying in Pallet Town, and I just caught Spearow.”
 
“Ahem,” coughed Jenny. “I don't mean to be rude, but I'm in the middle of an investigation, Nurse Joy.”
 
“Oh dear! Excuse me.” Joy blushed in embarrassment. “Does this have to do with the injured mankey?”
 
“That's what I was about to ask you,” Jenny replied. “Do the injuries on the mankey seem to be the result of being struck by rocks and sticks?”
 
Joy nodded sadly. “Yes. Many of the scratches appeared to—“
 
“That's all I needed to know,” the police officer interrupted. “Your diagnosis of the mankey supports Brian's story. Since I've never known you to lie, his statement must be the correct one.” She turned back to the accused teen. “I apologize for treating you like a criminal. Now that I have this information I'll take care of the real guilty party.” Jenny bowed to both Brian and Nurse Joy then left.
 
“I almost feel sorry for those idiots,” Brian commented as he watched Officer Jenny leave. “Almost,” he added with a smirk.
 
“Pika,” agreed Pikachu.
 
“Tini!” Dratini added.
 
Spearow just nodded then started eating.
 
Brian just smiled at his pokemon. That's right. MY pokemon. I've waited almost half of my life to train them. He turned to Nurse Joy. “Is it alright for me and my pokemon to spend the night in the same room as Mankey?”
 
Joy just smiled. “I don't see why not. I'll have a cot set up for you in a few minutes, I just need to do some paperwork first, okay?”
 
Brian smiled. “Take as long as you need, I'm a night owl.”
 
-------------
 
 
Mankey stirred as he woke up the next morning. The first thing he noticed was that he was no longer in pain. All of the bruises and cuts he got the day before where gone. The second thing he noticed was that he was not in a tree or in a small cave, but a white room and on a soft bed. He then noticed the other three sleeping pokemon in the room. All of them where sleeping with a familiar young man.
 
Mankey's eyes grew as he recognized the man as the youth who tried to help him the previous day. Dratini stirred and looked at their roommate.
 
“(Good morning,)” he said happily to his new friend.
 
Mankey looked around once more before he replied. “(How'd I get here?)”
 
Dratini told him how Brian chased off the kids that were hurting him. “(He regrets catching you without battling you first.)”
 
Mankey looked away. “(It doesn't matter, I have nowhere to go anyway. When I hurt my arm, I was left behind by the rest of my troop.)”
 
“(That's sad…)” commented Pikachu, who just woke-up. “(But I can tell you that Brian will never treat you bad.)”
 
Brian cracked open an eye. “If you guys want to talk, could you do so quietly?” He then laughed at the embarrassed looks each of the pokemon had. “Might as well get up now.”
 
Brian got out of the bed and stretched to wake the rest of his body. “Time to wake up, Spearow,” he said as he nudged the bird pokemon.
 
Spearow opened one eye then proceeded to peck his trainer's head. “OW! OW! OW! OW! OW!!” Spearow soon stopped and decided to try to go back to sleep.
 
“Oh no you don't,” Brian stated in most authoritative voice. “You're getting up with the rest of us and train.”
 
Spearow opened an eye and gave Brian a look that seemed to say: “Are you kidding me?”
 
Brian grinned. “Tell you what, Spearow. If you are able to complete the training, I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day. Deal?”
 
Spearow nodded the fluttered over to Brian's shoulder.
 
“Heh, it seems like you starting to trust me.” Brian looked over at Mankey. “When your arm is healed, I'll start your training.” He then smiled. “Like it or not, I've decided to keep you,” he finished. “Now for the rest of you, outside so we can get to work.”
 
Mankey watched the boy and his pokemon walk out of the room for their training. So that's my new trainer. It seems like I couldn't ask for a better one.
 
End for now
 
A/N: Again I'm sorry about the long update. There is only so much one can write in a short time each day. That and I'm currently hooked on Rouge Galaxy for the PS2.
 
Review if you want. Also any ideas for trainers will be welcomed. Until next time Ja ne!!