Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ My Pokemon Adventure ❯ Ch. 4: First Battles ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own pokemon so don't sue. This was written for enjoyment purposes only. I'm making a big fat zero in profit off this.
 
A/N: Once again, I'd like to thank all of you who took the time to write me a review. I really like them. I hope this longer chapter will make up for the long update. Now story time!!
 
Chapter 4: First Battle!!
 
“Okay! One more time!”
 
Brian watched as Pikachu and Spearow continued to knock a tennis ball back and forth using Agility. He congratulated them when they did well, and encouraged them when they fell short. Dratini also watched and cheered on his teammates. Brian heard someone walking up behind him so he whistled to call a stop to the training.
 
Spearow grabbed the ball and raced Pikachu back to Brian. They got to him at the same time, and knocked him over.
 
The new arrival started giggling. “Your pokemon really like you don't they?” asked Nurse Joy.
 
Brian blushed a little. “Guess I'm a natural.”
 
“I have good news. Mankey's arm is all better now.” Joy stepped aside to show the fully recovered pokemon.
 
Mankey chattered happily the proceeded to give Brian what looked like a hug.
 
“I'm glad to see you all better too,” Brian chuckled as he got up. “What time is it?”
 
“About 9:30,” Joy replied. “You've been out here for over an hour.”
 
Brian blushed again. “Guess I got a little carried away. Okay guys, let's break for something to eat.” Each of his pokemon cheered happily. “Can I use the phone in the lobby?”
 
Joy nodded. “It's free for anyone to use. How about I feed your pokemon while you make your call?”
 
Brian smiled his thanks as he ran off.
 
-------------
 
“… and that's what happen,” said Brian as he talked with his parents on the videophone.
 
“WHAT!!!!!!!!????” cried his mother.
 
“Mom, I'd like to keep at least some of my hearing,” Brian grumbled as he rubbed his ear. “I promised to call when I was in Viridian City. I didn't say immediately.”
 
“If you called us, I would have been able to get you out of trouble,” commented his father. “You know I have my connections.”
 
Brian sighed and shook his head. “I thank you for the offer, but if I keep running to you every time I'm in trouble, I'll never learn how to deal with it.” His dad nodded while his mom still looked upset.
 
“Just don't forget that you can always ask us for advice,” Shanna said eagerly.
 
Brian smiled at his mother. “I know, and I will if the need arises.” He looked at the clock. “Oh boy, I've talked too long. I need to get back to training.”
 
“Okay son,” said David. “Don't push yourself too much, and I hope you call us again soon.”
 
Brian held up the PokeComplete and grinned. “With this I can call you anytime, or vice-versa.” His mom wished him good luck and he hung up the phone.
 
As Brian exited the Pokemon Center, he saw three familiar faces with a man. They were the boys he chased off the day before. The guy's probably the dad of one or all three of these brats, Brian thought as the adult approached him.
 
“Are you the trainer who accused my kids of picking on an injured pokemon?” The man asked in a gruff voice.
 
Brian was not intimidated in the least. The man was only an inch taller than him and was of average built. However, the man had a strange sense of authority around him. That was the only thing that made Brian a little uneasy, but he did not show it.
 
“If you wish to ask me questions, then be courteous, and introduce yourself first,” Brian replied evenly while keeping eye contact.
 
“My name is Robert. My son's are Joey, Nick, and Ben. They have asked me to challenge you to a pokemon battle.”
 
Brian raised an eyebrow. “Straight to point. I like that in a person. However I must decline the challenge.”
 
“What's the matter? You scared?” yelled Joey, the oldest of the brothers.
 
“I wasn't talking to you,” Brian replied. He turned his attention back to their father. “I decline the challenge on the grounds that you have no reason to challenge me.”
 
Now it was Robert's turn to raise an eyebrow. “You accuse my children of a crime, isn't that reason enough?”
 
“It would be, if they where innocent, or they where unable to fight for themselves,” Brian replied. “If they are old enough to pick a fight with someone bigger than them, like myself, they can fight their own battles. If you keep fixing the situation every time they get into trouble, they'll never grow.”
 
Robert looked into the teen's eyes and only saw pure truth behind his words. Robert smiled then he started to laugh. “Ha ha you are so right, young man. I guess I still look at them as my little boys that need to be comforted every time they fall.”
 
Brian also smiled. “If it will make them feel better, they may challenge me to a battle.”
 
“That brings me to the other reason they asked me to challenge you…” Robert began.
 
“They don't have their own pokemon,” Brian finished.
 
Robert nodded. “Joey only turned nine last week. Nick's going to be seven in two months and Ben turned six last month. None of them are old enough to enter the Pokemon League.”
 
Brian nodded. “True, they are to young to take on the Gym Challenge, but that doesn't mean they can't have pokemon.”
 
“What do you mean?” asked Ben. He was very curious as to what the teen was getting at.
 
“What I'm saying is that they can have their own pokemon to train anytime their parent or guardian feels they are ready,” Brian replied as if he was quoting a phrase from a book. Brian then dug in his backpack for a few seconds and pulled out three pokeballs. “Here you go,” he said as he tossed them to the brothers. “Have your dad help you catch your pokemon, then you can you can still challenge me if you want. I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning, so I hope you come back before dinner.”
 
Brian put his thumb and forefinger in his mouth to let loose a loud whistle. Soon his pokemon came running from the side of the center and stood at attention when they reached him.
 
“Where you all good for Nurse Joy?” he asked them. His pokemon all nodded their heads. “Good. Now we're going to do some training outside of town.” Brian pulled out his pokeballs. “Return.” All four of his pokemon vanished in flashes of red light.
 
“How long have you been a trainer?” Robert asked with some interest.
 
“Three days,” Brian replied with a small amount of pride.
 
“To have that much respect from your pokemon already, you must be skilled,” Robert commented. “I'd be honored to battle you as well.”
 
Brian smiled as he headed to the woods that surrounded the city. “Well I hope to see all of you back here later,” he called over his shoulder.
 
-------------
 
Around 3:00 a dirty young man walked into the Pokemon Center. Nurse Joy took one look at the individual and smiled. “Did you do some intense training in the woods, Brian?”
 
Brian smiled sheepishly. “Yeah… Could you look at my pokemon? I think they're pretty worn out.”
 
Joy smiled as she took Brian's pokeballs. “That's what I'm here for. I've moved your belongings to another room since Mankey's recovered.”
 
“Thank you. I'm going to wash up and change now.” Brian ran off with Nurse Joy just smiling after him.
 
-------------
 
Brian stood under the showerhead letting the water cascade down his body. Brian loved showers it made him feel clean in more ways than one. Every time he showered, it felt as though his troubles and anxieties of the day went down the drain with the rest of the dirt and grime. He always left the shower feeling totally refreshed and energized for the rest of the day.
 
As he left the shower stall, he heard someone knock on the door to his room. “Who is it?” he called.
 
“It's just me,” said Nurse Joy. “I just came to tell you that your pokemon are fully healed, and that Robert and his sons are here for their battle.”
 
Brian grinned. “Tell them I'll be out in a bit.” He quickly dried off and dressed in his favorite clothes. He was about to leave when he decided to try out another gift.
 
-------------
 
Brian raced out the front door of the Center to see his four opponents waiting for him. He grinned as he put on his sunglasses and stood across from the boys and their father.
 
“So…” said Brian as he tightened his new red and black fingerless gloves. “Who's first?”
 
Ben stepped forward. “I guess I'll go first.” He tossed his pokeball and Brian watched as the white energy took form.
 
“Pidgey,” cooed the bird pokemon.
 
Brian took a quick peek at his PokeComplete. “Pidgey, the Tiny Bird pokemon. A common sight in forests and woods. It flaps its wings at ground level to kick up blinding sand.”
 
“Spearow, time to attack!” Brian's bird pokemon let loose a loud cry as he appeared. “You got the first move, Benny-boy.”
 
“Uh… Pidgey, use Tackle.”
 
Ben's pokemon took flight and tried to hit the other bird pokemon, but Brian had other plans.
 
“Spearow, show them your Agility!” Spearow suddenly vanished from view causing Pidgey to stop in surprise. “Now a high speed Peck.” Spearow reappeared and struck his opponent at a very fast speed. “Now use Fury Attack.” Spearow started striking Pidgey with his beak, claws, and wings. Pidgey fell, and then it tried to get back up.
 
“Come on!” Ben called to his pokemon. “Try using Gust!”
 
Pidgey started flapping its wings and a small tornado appeared. The wind attack started moving towards Spearow, who was able to doge at the last second.
 
“Spearow, finish it with another Peck!” Brian's pokemon dove in and struck the smaller bird. Pidgey fell hard and did not get back up.
 
“Pidgey is unable to battle,” said Nurse Joy. “Spearow is the winner.”
 
“When did you get here?!” Brian asked surprised as Ben returned his pokemon.
 
“I figured you would need a judge,” she replied simply. She turned to the younger trainer. “That was good for a first time, Ben. Keep training and your Pidgey will become a strong pokemon.”
 
Ben seemed to cheer up a little after hearing that.
 
“I'll be next,” said Nick. “Go Bellsprout!” The skinny grass pokemon appeared and started swaying with the breeze.
 
Again, Brian took a look at his PokeComplete. “Bellsprout the Flower pokemon. It appears to use its root-like feet to replenish moister.”
 
Spearow would be the best choice, but I've already used him. “I'll go with Pikachu!”
 
“Pika!” cried Pikachu as he appeared.
 
“I'm waiting.” Brian taunted the younger trainer.
 
“Fine. Bellsprout, use Razor Leaf!” The grass pokemon flung several leaves at the electric pokemon. Brian watched the attack silently until…
 
“Dodge NOW!” Pikachu swiftly danced around each leaf. “Now use Quick Attack.” Pikachu raced in to hit his opponent.
 
“Now it's your turn to dodge,” called Nick. Bellsprout weaved out of the way of the full body charge. “Use Vine Whip.” A pair of vines grew from Bellsprout's small body and wrapped around Pikachu.
 
Cripes! He's better than I thought. “Pikachu, try using a Thundershock!” Pikachu charged up then released the electric attack. The sudden shock caused Bellsprout to release him.
 
“That didn't do much damage,” Nick said confidently.
 
Brian merely shrugged. “Didn't need to do damage. I just needed a way of getting your pokemon to let go of mine. Now that he's free; Pikachu, use another Quick Attack!” Pikachu charged in to deliver a powerful strike.
 
Nick's eyes lit up as he quickly came up with a counter-attack. “Use Sleep Powder!” Bellsprout took a deep breath then blew out a sparkling blue power right in Pikachu's face.
 
Pikachu blinked then he started to stumble. Soon he was lying fast asleep on the ground.
 
“Pikachu is unable to continue battling,” called Nurse Joy. “The winner is Bellsprout.”
 
“Oh…. crud…” Brian moaned as he recalled his pokemon. “Ya did a good job, Pikachu. I just didn't see that attack coming.” He turned to Nick who was celebrating with his pokemon. “That was very quick thinking. I wasn't expecting it.”
 
Nick blushed a little with the praise. “Uh, thanks.”
 
Joey ran forward with an edger look on his face. It seemed as though the last two battles sparked something inside him. He threw his pokeball to start his turn. Joey's small pokemon growled at Brian.
 
“Nidoran male, the Poison Pin pokemon,” said DAN. “Its large ears flap like wings when it is listening to distant sounds. It extends toxic barbs when angered.”
 
Nice, thought Brian. If he trains it right, it will become a powerful pokemon. “In this case I'll use the `weak' pokemon that you were picking on yesterday. Mankey, time to fight!”
 
“Mankey!” cried the fighting-type pokemon as he took on a ready stance.
 
Robert's eyes narrowed a little as he observed the teen's pokemon. That's a basic kempo stance…
 
“Let's see whatcha got, little boy,” Brian egged the new trainer.
 
Joey sent a small glare to the teen. “If that's the way you want to do it; Nidoran use your Take Down!”
 
Joey's pokemon just gave a confused look to his trainer.
 
“Mankey, start things off with Karate Chop.” Mankey ran in and struck his opponent sending him flying. Nidoran quickly righted himself and waited for his next order.
 
Joey smirked. “Even I know that Fighting-type moves have little effect on Poison pokemon. Now use Horn Drill!” Again, Nidoran gave Joey a strange look. “Come on…” Joey whined.
 
Brian sighed in sympathy for the pokemon. “Now use Fury Swipes, Mankey.” Mankey scratched at the smaller pokemon repeatedly.
 
Nidoran seemed to have trouble recovering from the attack.
 
Joey was growing frustrated with his pokemon. “Fine! Nidoran, use Hyper Beam!!”
 
Nidoran just gave Joey one last look before lying down and falling asleep.
 
“Nidoran refuses to battle, Mankey is the winner,” said Nurse Joy professionally.
 
“Errr! Nidoran return!” The dozing pokemon vanished into his pokeball. “Why wouldn't it listen to me?” Joey sobbed.
 
Brian sighed. “Because you kept confusing it,” he supplied.
 
Joey blinked. “W-what do you mean?”
 
“Nidoran is, in a way, a baby pokemon. It is very unlikely that it would know high level attacks like Hyper Beam or Horn Drill.”
 
Joey took a moment to digest the new information. “Then what attacks does it know?”
 
Brian scratched the back of his neck. “Well at the least it would know Tackle, maybe even Leer. But the only way is to know is to train with your pokemon.”
 
Joey nodded while Robert stepped forward. “Now it's time for me to battle you,” he said with a hint of excitement in his voice.
 
Brian smirked as he recalled Mankey and pulled out his final pokemon. “Dratini, time to fight!” The blue and white dragon pokemon cried happily as he appeared. “This is going to be a tough battle, ya ready?” Dratini nodded confidently as the two of them waited for Robert to select his pokemon.
 
“Here we go!” Robert yelled as he threw his pokeball. Soon the released white energy took the form of a large ox.
 
Brian gulped a little as he checked the PokeComplete. “Tauros the Wild Bull pokemon. When it targets an enemy, it charges furiously while whipping its body with its three long tails.”
 
This is going to get interesting, Brian thought as the bull pokemon pawed the ground. “You still ready, partner?” he asked his pokemon. Dratini looked back and appeared to give Brian a smirk of his own before focusing on the larger pokemon. “You're right, let's see what we can do.”
 
Robert smiled at the teen trainer. “I'll give you the first attack.”
 
Brian returned the smile. “Thanks. Dratini, start things out with your Slam attack!” Dratini jumped and twisted around and struck Tauros right on its forehead. However, Tauros barely budged from the direct attack.
 
“Tauros, use your Stomp,” called Robert. The bull reared up and tried to crush the smaller pokemon under its hooves.
 
“Get otta there, Dratini!” Brian yelled in concern for his first pokemon. Dratini used his serpent-like body to weave out of the way of each of the attacks. “Try using Thunderwave now!” The fins on each side of Dratini's head started crackling with electricity for a few seconds before shorting out. “Ah, cripes… not again…”
 
Robert decided to push his attack. “Tauros use Take Down!” Tauros lowered its head and charged at Dratini.
 
Brian tried to keep his cool in the difficult situation. “Try Slam again.”
 
The two pokemon collided and seemed evenly matched for a second, but Tauros' greater strength showed through and sent Dratini flying back. The dragon pokemon struggled a little to get back up.
 
“You going to give up?” Robert taunted.
 
Both trainer and pokemon sent a glare back at their opponent. “No way! Dratini try Thunderwave again.” This time the electricity built up enough to have the attack be successful. Tauros was struck and became rooted where it stood. “YES!!!”
 
“What happened?” asked Ben.
 
“Thunderwave is a move that paralyzes the opponent,” answered Nick. “Brian has the advantage over Dad now.”
 
“Let's finish it with another Slam!” Brian called. Dratini raced in to try and win the battle, however Robert and Tauros were not going to let them win that easily.
 
“Horn Attack!” commanded Robert. Tauros twisted its head enough to strike Dratini with one of its horns. The dragon pokemon was knocked back and did not get back up.
 
“Dratini is unable to battle. The win goes to Robert and Tauros,” said Nurse Joy a little sadly.
 
Brian helped up his pokemon. “You okay, Dratini?” The dragon pokemon nodded a little. Brian smiled. “That's good. Don't be disappointed, alright? Robert has been training that tauros for years, right?”
 
Robert nodded as he recalled his pokemon to its pokeball.
 
“That was a great first try, now take a nice rest.” Brian returned his pokemon and turned to Nurse Joy. “Umm… Could you take care of my pokemon, again please?”
 
Nurse Joy just smiled sweetly. “I can take care of all of the pokemon while the rest of you celebrate your first battle.”
 
Robert smiled. “I agree. Allow me to treat you to dinner as celebration and an apology for how my kids treated that mankey of yours.”
 
Brian did not need to voice his answer as his stomach growled loud enough to get everyone laughing.
 
End for now
 
A/N: Thanks for taking the time to sit and read my fic. Now please leave a review (one with ideas for rival trainers would be greatly appreciated.) Also, Brian will eventually be traveling with others, just not yet.