Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pencil Lines ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Whee! *chases plotbunnies* Angst…
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
This is het Championshipping
 
Chapter 6: Self-portrait
 
A month passed, then two, and slowly but surely, Red's performance began to slip. This did not please the Dragon Master at all.
< What a waste of time! If he's not putting his heart into this training, then he'll fail the test for Mastery! Well, if he's not going to work harder, I'll go help Claire. It is almost time for her to test for mastery. >
With that decision made, Lance left Red a note and then flew back to Dragon's Den.
 
Red was shattered when he saw that page of typed paper. It only drove the last nail into the coffin.
Lance-chan doesn't want me anymore… he's traded me off for some girl in a cheap leotard! Oh gods…
Why? WHY!
She's ugly! That ponytail does nothing for her looks! Who has blue hair anyway? Besides, she's a golf course slut.
I mean, who wears that clothing on a regular basis!
He shouldn't love her! She doesn't deserve him!
And she only has dragonair and Kingdra while I have three dragons!
So she's weaker than me too!
Why did he pick her?!
What does he see in her! Well, I'm not taking this!
He's _my_ teacher, not hers!
And I want him back! I'm not giving up this easily!
Grr…
 
Huffily, he threw on his black cloak and climbed on Aerodactyl's back before they flew off.
Dragon's Den, here we come!
 
Lance was busy fine-tuning Clair's magic when she felt Red's presence. * What is it now… *
A very angry-looking child jumped off an Aerodactyl. “Clair! I challenge you!”
“What for,” Her cousin was properly confused. * Don't tell me, actually. *
 
“If you want him for yourself you'll have to go through me first!”
“Red…” Lance shook her head. “Unfortunately, I doubt that will do much good.” Firstly, she was not a prize to be won, and secondly, she was not male. She could not help being flat. Also, she got more respect if people thought she was a man.
Nonetheless, Red's recklessness was irritating.
“Wait, I'll take it.” Clair said. * After all, I'm about to take the test of mastery so I should be able to win. *
“Very well, Clair. You two may begin.”
 
Red started out by calling up a storm with his Dragonair, but Claire and her own Pokemon weather locked and then unleashed a deadly hail of ice needles.
Startled by the unusual move, he spent several precious seconds trying to figure out a counter. He couldn't waste them, as the needles simply broke his shield of lightning and plunged into his flesh.
“AAHHHHHHH!”
Gritting his teeth against the pain, Red charged in blind fury, only to run straight into Clair's dragon blade.
He surrendered before he passed out.
 
 
“What was he thinking?” Lance asked, as she healed the Trainer. “Surely not trying to take the test for mastery now? His performance has been truly abysmal.”
“I don't think that's it, cousin.”
She frowned.
“He put in pretty explicit terms the fact that he wanted you.”
Lance blinked. “And…”
“Well, I don't think he'd go this far if he only wanted to sleep with you.”
“Maybe…” The Dragon Master still did not sound convinced. “You think I should give him another chance to prove his skill?”
“That might be a good idea.”
“Well, I'll deal with my own affairs, thank you very much. After all, if I started peeping in on your dates with Drake…”
“Point taken!” Clair said, as she ran out faster than Lance thought was possible.
 
Lance opened his eyes and checked him for any missed injuries, than tapped a shiatsu point to wake the Trainer up.
Red opened his eyes carefully. Upon realizing that the other Trainer was holding him, a faint frown crossed his face.
“Why?”
“Why what,” Lance asked, confused.
“Why did you heal me?”
“Did you think I would leave you to die?”
“You might have.” He said bitterly.
She shook her head. “I may be disappointed with your recent performance, but that is no reason to kill you.” He was such a little prima donna!
“No? But I failed.”
“Red, you honestly believed I would toss you out?”
“You weren't being very nice!” He burst out. “What was I supposed to expect! You want perfection, and I can't touch that! I'll never be as good as you! I'm not even as good as she is!”
Lance frowned. “I'm older than you and I have more experience.”
 
“That's not the point! I'll never be good enough for you! I can't even love you! You won't allow that! Why do I want the future, if you're not there with me?”
There. It was out in the open.
He waited patiently for Lance's reaction.
After all the agonized waiting, this was it. The final step.
 
It's your choice now.
I love you, but if you don't accept that, then I cannot accept your training either. It's too cold for me.
So, we are at an impasse now.
Who will break?
 
End Chapter
Completed 3/21/04
Edited 8/17/09
Yes, I'm obviously using Red… ^^V