Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ Heracross vs. Heracross ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
Jacob grinned as things were starting to look up. After that last attack, he thought Heracross had been defeated, but instead the male had survived the flying attack.
 
Nevertheless, he was still breathing pretty heavily, but Jacob knew he could pull through as he shouted, “Heracross, let's go in with a Horn Attack!”
 
Heracross sped towards the female with his horn lowered as Jonathan smiled and gave the command to dodge it. The female dodged to the right catching Heracross off guard and charged towards the male, preparing a Tackle Attack.
 
Jacob grinned and shouted, “LET'S GO FOR ANOTHER HORN ATTACK!!!” as Heracross nodded in understanding and turned to the female with his horn out thus causing her to slam head-first into it, a small cut appearing between her eyes while a green substance trickled down from it.
 
“Not bad,” Jonathan said with his smile never ending as always, “That was a very smart strategy, using my Heracross' momentum against her. But that doesn't matter to me anyway. Heracross, use Aerial Ace again!”
 
Things had gotten alarming again as the female flapped her wings and soared towards the male Heracross. What was the Hercules beetle to do now?
 
Lucario clung to Jacob's leg while trembling. Izy had a worried look on while Anna's facial expression was once again neutral. If this landed, Jacob's Heracross would surely fall to the hands of Jonathan's.
 
Suddenly, something came over Heracross as his horn started to glow. When the female was only a mere second away from hitting him, he threw the horn out bashing it into the female's face causing her to fly into a pebble, breaking it to pieces upon collision.
 
“That was far more powerful than Horn Attack!” Izy exclaimed as Jacob's eyes sparkled, the boy shouting, “My own Heracross knows Megahorn! I'm so happy!”
 
Jonathan laughed feeling very impressed by this but also quite envious. Even his female Heracross, who had seen far more battles than Jacob's, didn't know that move.
 
However, while Megahorn was a large upgrade from the usual Horn Attack, unlike Horn Attack it was a bug type move. This meant that the damage dealt by it had been cut in half when it hit a fellow Heracross. As such, the female was still standing.
 
“You've done a good job with that Heracross of yours,” Jonathan said with his same creepy smile, “but it would seem that now would be the time to finish this. Heracross, use tackle!”
 
Why would Jonathan choose such a weak move at this point? Nevertheless, it was a predictable attack, so Heracross could easily dodge it. However, this was not the case as the second Heracross attempted to dodge the attack, the female changed her strategy and sent five consecutive punches to the male's gut. This was known as Fury Attack.
 
Heracross looked like he was about to pass out, Jacob biting his lip with anticipation, Lucario once again nervous and Izy with a worried look. Anna was once again neutral. It was truly amazing that it was even remotely possible for her to get upset, wasn't it?
 
Despite the pain Heracross was feeling, he managed to muster up the strength to smack his horn down upon the female's head. Both of them had swirling eyes as they fell to the ground, neither able to stand up.
 
“I simply can't believe it!” Jonathan exclaimed while laughing, “The battle ended in a tie! You did train that Heracross well!”
 
Jacob couldn't believe it. He managed to match blows with a fellow Heracross lover in battle. This was truly the best day of his life.
 
He let down tears of joy, returning his Heracross and said, “You did great, Heracross! I promise I will work harder, and someday my Heracross will be strong enough to beat yours, Jonathan!”
 
Jonathan, creepy smile and all, returned his own Heracross saying, “I look forward to that day, Jacob. I really do.”
 
Izy rolled her eyes, rather annoyed by all these fan boy moments Jacob was having. Nevertheless, she was just glad that he'd managed to defeat Jonathan's Heracross. The only problem was that now, both only had one Pokemon left.
 
Jonathan pulled out his last Pokeball and hurled it shouting, “GO, SCIZOR!!!”
 
With that, a red bug Pokemon that resembled Scyther with claws instead of blades appeared. This was Scyther's second form, Scizor.
 
“No way!” Izy shouted as she said, “That's what my new Scyther can become.”
 
Anna's eyes sparkled at the sight of it while Jacob put on a serious look and smiled at Lucario, who nodded in understanding and entered the battle area. Jonathan had actually hoped for the battle to be this way. He wanted to not only show off all of his Pokemon but also see all of Jacob's at full strength, and with both previous battles in a row ending like a draw, his idea of the perfect gym battle was finally happening before him.
 
“You are a very impressive trainer,” he said, “I am honored to have had you as an opponent.”
 
Then he got serious again and shouted, “SCIZOR, USE QUICK ATTACK!!!”
 
Scizor charged towards Lucario who knew that he couldn't possibly dodge this move, so Jacob commanded him to do the same. Both Quick attacks collided, each elbow ramming into the other while both leapt away from one-another taking minimal damage from the move.
 
“Good job, Lucario!” Jacob shouted before flipping through his guidebook. He wanted to know just what Lucario could use for this battle. Lucario's best attacks were mostly fighting types and that wasn't good enough, and Quick Attack only seemed like a waste of effort.
 
While he flipped through the book, Jonathan shouted a command as Scizor charged towards Lucario with his claws crossed, the infant dodging to the side and Scizor chopping down a tree with X-Scissor.
 
At this moment, Jacob found the perfect move and shouted, “Lucario, use Dark Pulse!”
 
Dark Pulse was a Dark type move. While it was smart of Jacob to avoid using fighting moves, Dark attacks didn't have much of an effect on bug types either.
 
Lucario unleashed a dark aura that composed of negative thoughts. Scizor tried to dodge the aura, but Dark Pulse couldn't miss unless Lucario's accuracy had been thrown off, so Scizor took in the blow and groaned in agony. Despite this success, Izy pinched her forehead with an angry expression thinking, `Was that really the right time to consult the guidebook?'
 
“That's the stuff!” Jacob shouted as he next ordered Lucario to use an attack called Feint.
 
This was a normal attack, so it was more effective, but Jonathan was ready for this one as he shouted, “SCIZOR, DON'T LET HIM HIT YOU!” the winged bug nodding and countering with a series of slashes from his claws.
 
The Fury cutter had created a few cuts on Lucario's body, but the infant was not ready to give up just yet. See, bug type attacks were weak against Lucario, so this was no problem.
 
Lucario's eyes glowed violet much to Jonathan's surprise as he leapt at Scizor, a dark energy claw surrounding his paw. Jonathan was too spellbound by this sudden action to give Scizor any commands as the bug took in the powerful slash, three cuts forming on its chest.
 
“Was that Shadow Claw?” Jonathan asked, his smile still on his face as Anna's eyes sparkled. Even she was aware that Lucario couldn't just learn Shadow Claw.
 
Jacob had to admit, this was unexpected. It had been a while since the infant had used that. Just how did it work?
 
He could have gone further into this, but Scizor was still in good enough condition to keep battling. Jonathan still had his creepy smile on while he shouted, “SCIZOR, USE METAL CLAW!!!”
 
Scizor charged at Lucario as his claws became metal, but just as this was about to hit, Lucario, despite having no orders to do so, turned his own claws metal and both sent simultaneous slashes to each other, Lucario's paws colliding with Scizor's claws.
 
Anna's eyes once again sparkled as Izy looked at this with uncertainty. While Quick attack was a rather generic move, Metal Claw wasn't, so this was anyone's game now.
 
The standoff lasted for a good minute and a half until Lucario started to weaken, Scizor overcoming his attack and sending him flying into a tree. Jacob's eyes widened as Anna took on her neutral expression and Izy cringed.
 
Lucario rubbed his head in pain as Jacob noticed the pond right next to him. He grinned and said, “Lucario, look beside you.”
 
The infant looked to the right and noticed the pond blinking. Jonathan wouldn't allow any plans to work that easily, so he shouted a command, Scizor flying towards Lucario with an X-Scissor prepared.
 
Suddenly, Lucario started to understand as he dove under the water, Scizor pausing midway and trembling, not even daring to get closer. This seemed to have frightened it.
 
“I get it,” Izy explained, “Winged creatures can't go in water, so by diving under the water, he rendered Scizor useless.”
 
Jonathan laughed as he exclaimed, “You impress me more and more all the time, Jacob!”
 
“It doesn't just end there,” Jacob said, “You and I both know that Lucario can't stay underwater forever.”
 
That was true. Lucario was a mammal, after all, so he needed to be above water to breathe. And rise up her did, but this was a surprise. Jacob had planned for Lucario to splash Scizor in the eyes with water, but this was much more effecting.
 
Lucario's eyes were glowing blue as he rose up while riding atop the water, which was now in the form of a tidal wave. There was just no way he could be using this attack. Jacob and Izy's eyes went wide, Jonathan still having that creepy smile on, while Anna smiled warmly, not questioning the logic behind this at all.
 
Lucario had set himself up to use Surf, one of the most powerful Water attacks in existence. As the name implied, this attack involved a Pokemon controlling water to create a tidal wave and unleash it upon the opponent.
 
The entire area was silent as Lucario hit Scizor, who was too shocked to even attempt dodging the attack and knocked the bug Pokemon out for good. Jonathan quietly returned Scizor, his smile still on his face as he slowly clapped.
 
Jacob smiled as Izy and Anna joined Jonathan in giving Jacob applause. The boy blushed and said, “Hey, it was all Lucario. I didn't know he could use that.”
 
Jonathan walked over to Jacob handing him a badge that resembled a Heracross' head saying, “That Lucario of yours is very unique. You are very lucky to have him in your team.”
 
And there was much rejoicing afterwards. Jonathan waved goodbye to Jacob when he left the gym and the boy took his Pokemon to the centre to be healed. Izy still couldn't believe that ending while Anna had her calm smile that she was known for.
 
Jacob sat in the waiting room in the centre while his Pokemon were being healed, looking rather down. Izy looked at him and asked, “What's wrong?”
 
“It's this whole thing with Lucario,” the boy replied, “I need to know how he's able to use these attacks and why he can't seem to control them.”
 
“I'm sure these answers will come in due time,” Izy replied placing a hand on his shoulder, “Just celebrate your second Gym Badge. That's what you wanted, right?”
 
Izy was right. Jacob needed to look on the bright side of things. He had taken another step to becoming a true champion.