Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ Fight Thunder with Fire ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
Once again, Jacob and his friends were on the road. This time, they were headed to Newheart City where the next gym leader awaited.
 
“So how long should this trip take?” Jacob asked as Izy looked over the map saying, “I'm afraid a trip to Newheart could take two days at least. If only we had a big flying Pokemon that we could all fit on, it would be so much faster.”
 
Jacob sighed at the sound of that. She was right. Sure, Izy had four flying Pokemon, but only Noctowl could lift one of them, and that was pretty much it. He could lift only one of them. For some reason, Gligar could only handle human weight for a mere twenty seconds, Scyther was too thin for such a task and Beedrill… does one need to ask?
 
Jacob did have Heracross, but his wings weren't exactly the strongest around and even if the insect could help them travel, they would still end up leaving Anna behind. It was best just to walk as they could stay together that way.
 
“By the way,” Jacob asked, “is there a specific flying Pokemon you have in mind?”
 
“As a matter of fact, there is,” Izy replied with a look of hope on her face, “A bird of legend with the powers of fire, the roaring phoenix known only as Ho-Oh!”
 
Anna's eyes sparkled as she thought that was a great dream to have. Ho-Oh was one of the most beautiful bird Pokemon to look at as it had the design of the mythical bird, Phoenix. It also had brilliant green feathers on the ends of its orange wings and a golden tail. Despite the evil look in its eyes, it was rumored to be a source of eternal happiness.
 
But even Izy realized that dream was hopeless. Not only was Ho-Oh legendary, but it lived in the Johto region, so it was impossible for the girl to even set her sights on such a magnificent creature. Still, it was always fun to dream.
 
During their travels, Jacob heard a sound coming from a bush. His eyes glared at it only for a small green wolf-like creature with yellow streaks emerge from it. His and Anna's eyes sparkled, like they always did, at the sight of this magnificent creature known as Electrike.
 
“This is excellent,” Jacob said, whipping out a Pokeball, “I always dreamed of catching an Electrike and it's finally about to come true!”
 
“Just for the record,” Izy said tapping her foot, “is this truly the last dream Pokemon you have, because you seem to dream of catching a lot of Pokemon. What happened to your love of Heracross?”
 
“That's an excellent suggestion!” Jacob remarked, Izy rolling her eyes. The boy hadn't answered her question at all, and she figured it was because he didn't have a straight answer, not just the fact that he was distracted right now.
 
“GO, HERACROSS!!!” he shouted sending out the Hercules Beetle who stood tall and proud.
 
Izy blinked and slapped her forehead. Had Jacob really made such a rash decision because the girl had brought up Heracross' name? Jacob was normally big on strategies. This just seemed weird coming from him.
 
In all reality, though, Cacnea would have been a much better choice but Heracross wasn't a bad one either. Maybe he could defeat Electrike. Jacob knew to avoid using flying attacks against an electric type, so his first command was for the beetle to use Night Slash.
 
Electrike hadn't exactly been warned of this battle and didn't even know Jacob was there, so when Heracross struck her with his Night Slash, she was caught off guard and growled in pain.
 
“Excellent job, Heracross!” the boy shouted, “Now use Horn Attack!”
 
However, this did not hit as Electrike leapt to the side, dodging the attack and sending Heracross flying into a tree, his horn lodged into it. Since Electrike was a canine and an electric type, she was quick on her feet.
 
Heracross was unprepared as the green and yellow wolf bit into his arm, sending a jolt of electricity through his veins. This was known as Thunder Fang and it made Jacob started to worry, Izy biting her lip and Anna looking neutral as she seemed to be a lot of the time during situations like these.
 
Lucario wished he could take Heracross' place, but the infant believed in good sportsmanship and knew that only his master, whoever it may be, could make that decision for him.
 
The Hercules beetle charged in for another attempt as Jacob grinned and shouted, “Heracross, stop your attack and spin your body around with your arms out!”
 
Izy's eyes widened at the sound of this. What was Jacob thinking? All became clear when Electrike ran right beside Heracross to avoid the incoming attack. Heracross stopped the second Electrike made his move and threw his arms to the sides, one of them smacking into the electric wolf and causing him more pain, Electrike growling.
 
The wolf's eyes started to turn red with fury as Jacob blinked, now looking alarmed. He'd really hoped that strategy would have done more for him, but he saw from this anger that Heracross wouldn't be able to win this battle.
 
As Electrike charged towards the beetle, electricity surrounding his body for a Volt Tackle, which by the way Electrike shouldn't have known in the first place, Jacob pulled out Heracross' Pokeball and returned him, Electrike now charging towards the boy. Jacob's eyes sparkled even more. He wanted this Electrike more than ever. How it had learned this move was beyond his knowledge, but seeing the wolf use it was just incredible.
 
Izy panicked and leapt to the side shouting, “JACOB, ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!?? HE'S GOING TO KILL US!!!!”
 
But Jacob had gotten far better at acting quickly as he sent out a replacement Pokemon, trapping Electrike in a ring of fire forcing him to run through one of the flames and burn himself, stopping his attack in response. Another odd decision Jacob had made as this time he was going with Monferno. Like his last choice, Monferno wasn't a bad decision but she wasn't the best choice Jacob could have made for this opponent.
 
Nevertheless, the boy had a glimmer in his eyes as if he just knew what he was doing. Izy sighed with relief as Anna had a warm smile, both knowing that Jacob would win this. The abrupt Fire Spin had worked, after all, right?
 
Electrike leapt at Monferno who dodged to the side and put a scratch in the wolf's waist. Just like Electrike, Monferno was very fast, so this was looking pretty promising.
 
Electrike angrily charged at the monkey preparing a Volt Tackle, and instead of having the monkey dodge, Jacob grinned and shouted, “COUNTER WITH FLAME WHEEL!!!”
 
Izy's eyes went wide as her jaw dropped. Why couldn't Monferno just try to dodge it? But she wasn't going to question this. Jacob seemed to know what he was doing as the monkey surrounded her body with fire and rolled towards her target.
 
Then something even Jacob hadn't expected happened. The flame wheel glowed and seemed to grow bigger and when the two elements collided, fire ended up overpowering electricity as Electrike flew into a tree, out cold and Jacob hurled a Pokeball capturing the green electric wolf.
 
Anna's eyes sparkled when the flame wheel vanished, Jacob and Izy both wide-eyed at the sight that explained why the flame wheel had increased in size and might. The Pokemon who had emerged from the wheel of fire was not the Monferno who entered but a different Pokemon, in other words, the final form of Chimchar.
 
The monkey was much more balanced in terms of build and almost looked like the monkey shamans told of in folklore. She had white fur on her ankles and her torso. She also had golden wrist guards, knee pads and shoulder pads along with a marking around her eyes that looked like a red mask. Her tail had grown longer and instead of the flame being there, it was now on top of her head. Monferno had evolved into Infernape and Jacob couldn't have been more proud.
 
Izy just smiled and sighed with relief, quite happy to see two good things come out of the battle for Jacob. Why did she seem to care so much about his success? Sure, they were friends, but she truly felt there was more to it, but she couldn't put her finger on it.
 
Now that that's over, let's go back to Team Advent and see how they're progressing with Palkia and Dialga, shall we? Varen smiled wickedly, patiently awaiting his plan to finally come into play. However, his hopes were crushed when a Scientist entered his office without knocking.
 
“This better be important,” the boss grunted as the man nodded saying, “It is, sir. It's in regards to the two legendary Pokemon Perona brought in.”
 
Varen turned to the man with interest as the Scientist continued, “It seems controlling their minds is a lot harder than we thought it would be. Their power is off the charts, so far off the charts that it could very well take an entire week to gain full control over them.”
 
Varen grimaced and snapped, “IT CAN'T TAKE THAT LONG!!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT COULD HAPPEN WITHIN A TIME LIKE THAT!!!!?? THEY COULD ESCAPE!!!!!”
 
“We're well aware of it, sir,” the scientist replied, “which is why we've been conducting a search on some kind of weakness that would make the mind control work faster.”
 
Varen hung his head with a sigh. Even he knew there was no way those two could have a weakness that Team Advent could get a hold of. It seemed highly unlikely.
 
But the scientist contradicted that thought when he explained that Palkia and Dialga were good friends of Shaymin. A search result had come up about their history explaining how a young Shaymin had provided her assistance in defeating the legendary menace, Giratina. Sure, she had not done a whole lot, but Palkia and Dialga owed her for the little she had accomplished, admitting that without the small bit of assistance she'd provided, Giratina could have turned things in his favor.
 
Varen grinned wickedly upon hearing this saying, “That's excellent. We happen to have that little friend of theirs.”
 
Palkia and Dialga felt helpless as they remained in the room they had been trapped in, but suddenly a door opened as Varen walked in, the two dragons snarling their teeth wanting to rip open the big man just as a way to get vengeance on Team Advent, however they halted when Varen held up a small white hedgehog with a bush instead of bristles, the small legend in an energy cage.
 
The dragon's were shocked when Varen grinned saying, “Attack me and your little friend dies too.”
 
Shaymin had a sad look on her face and started making high-pitched sounds to tell Palkia and Dialga not to worry about her, but they couldn't bring themselves to follow such a request. These two may have been ferocious in battle, but when it came to friends, whether they be used against them or not, they could not bring themselves to deal any harm to the ones they cherished.
 
“Excellent,” Varen said, “Shaymin will be spared if you stop resisting my mind control machine and allow yourselves total and complete obedience.”
 
The legendary dragons bowed their heads, Shaymin in complete shock as an electrical pulse filled their minds and their eyes glowed purple. Varen handed the legendary hedgehog back to his men and laughed hysterically. Now that the two dragons were under his control, his master plan was almost complete.
 
But unbeknownst to him, there was a small spy within the base sneaking about to be make sure it wasn't seen. In fact, there were three, all who were able to turn invisible. One had been hiding in Varen's office so as to hear out his plan. Another had been hiding in his office monitoring what his agent had captured. Finally, the third one had been hiding by the window that allowed people to watch Pokemon fall victim to the mind control machine to know just how far the evil man had gotten with his plans.
 
All three came together and agreed that they needed to report their sightings to Darkrai, who was the one giving them orders during all of this. These three were highly regarded in legends. One was Uxie, the being of knowledge. The other was Mesprit, the being of emotion. The third and final of the three was Azelf, the being of willpower. All three were to make sure Varen didn't go too far with his plans, and now that it seemed he was, they needed to take action and get the rest of the legendary Pokemon involved. They needed to hurry and defeat Team Advent before all legends were captured and suffered from the same fate.
 
They flew to the temple and reported their sightings, Darkrai's eyes wide with shock. He couldn't believe that Team Advent had gotten their hands on the most powerful of the legends.
 
“This has gone on long enough,” Darkrai said, “It's time to take action. Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, thank you for your cooperation. I am going to gather all the help I can get and launch a direct attack on those Team Advent bastards!”