Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ Veronica vs. Asuna ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
The battle between Asuna and Veronica seemed to be a stand-still. Sableye and Dusknoir attempted to hit one-another only to miss with each attempt. Asuna had a look of determination while Veronica had one of anger. How hard was it to hit a Sableye?
 
Well, Sableye was a very quick and nimble Pokemon. How Dusknoir had not been hit at this point was a mystery.
 
Sableye aimed a good Shadow Claw at Dusknoir as the mummy-like ghost glared at it and sunk into the floor, Sableye missing completely and looking confused. Sableye was just where Veronica wanted it to be? Suddenly, something was coming over Asuna as her eyes closed. Veronica could feel a strange power coming from her, but what was it?
 
“Dusknoir is going to appear right behind you in two seconds,” she said as Sableye shifted his body around immediately. As predicted, Dusknoir rose up seconds later only to receive a Shadow Claw to the face.
 
The ghost cried out in pain as Sableye struck him in the chest with a Shadow Ball and sent him flying into the wall. Veronica's eyes went wide, the Goth running over to her Dusknoir and embracing him asking, “Are you okay?”
 
“How pitiful,” the Team Advent ninja stated, “Do you realize how disgraceful it is for a warrior to get sympathy from others after losing?
 
Veronica started to shake with anger as Asuna continued, “Honestly, it would be better if you just returned him to his Pokeball now and spared him the humiliation of defeat. All you're really doing is making him feel bad about his loss.”
 
Veronica looked at Dusknoir who seemed content with her there. What did Asuna know? These two had a strong bond that had gone on for years.
 
When the Goth gym leader was ten years old, she didn't have much of a social life. She grew up without any friends because she was too shy to make an effort. Whenever she went to school, she would avoid eye contact with everyone except the teachers. It worried her mother a lot but most of all it worried the girl's father.
 
“Veronica,” the man said with a sigh, shaking his head, “I don't know what to do with you. Do you even want to make friends?”
 
The gothic girl looked away from him, refusing to answer his question. The man grimaced and said, “No daughter of mine is going to spend her life friendless!” and with that, he locked her out of the house and snapped, “Come back when you have a friend!”
 
Veronica couldn't believe it. Her own father had kicked her out of the house. Now she had to make a friend, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't bring herself to say a simple “hello” to anyone.
 
Feeling lost and helpless, she ran to her favorite place, the local graveyard in her hometown. This was her sanctuary, the one place she truly felt at peace. She liked to believe that all the ghosts and spirits here were her friends. It helped the girl feel at peace.
 
Suddenly, she heard a noise coming from behind one of the tombstones and turned with a worried look shouting, “WHO'S THERE!?”
 
The being started to tremble behind the tombstone, Veronica feeling a tad sorry. She didn't mean to scare anyone, and this was truly hurting her chances of making a friend.
 
The Goth walked over to the tombstone and sat by the side the figure wasn't on, her back rested up against it. She sighed and said, “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have freaked out like that. I was just startled is all.”
 
The being poked its head out from behind the tombstone and slowly approached the side Veronica was on, the girl's eyes wide open. This being wasn't a person. It was a ghost with a skull mask and a glowing red eye.
 
“I know what you are,” the girl said, “You're a Duskull.”
 
The ghost became shy again upon hearing that name and quickly floated behind another tombstone, Veronica running over to the tombstone and shouting, “I'm sorry!” placing her hands atop the stone and peering over to the side the Duskull was on.
 
After a few moments, Duskull's fear left him and the two got to talking… well, Veronica was doing all the talking. Duskull just listened while she told of how she'd been too shy to find a friend all her life. Duskull's eye started to sparkle during the conversation. He had finally found someone to relate to, someone who was just as socially awkward as he was.
 
From that moment on, the two became great friends. Veronica would come back to the graveyard to visit him every day and the girl's father was just glad she had someone to talk to.
 
One day, Veronica was in her room drawing a picture of her ghost Pokemon friend when her father called her into the kitchen. She sighed and entered the room asking, “What chore do you want me to do now?”
 
The man smiled and pulled out a small ball, Veronica's eyes going wide. He handed it to her almost instantly and said, “I am giving you this so you can capture that Duskull friend of yours. I think you two should be partners. That way, he can live under our roof and you can see him all the time.”
 
Veronica was rather skeptical about his at first, but she discussed the idea with Duskull and the skeleton ghost seemed to like the idea… well, it did take Veronica about ten minutes to convince him while he attempted to escape from what he saw as `imprisonment.' He wouldn't have even accepted if not for the fact that Veronica was his only real friend in the world.
 
And ironically, Veronica's life improved in many ways now that Duskull was with her all the time. She had found the confidence to talk to other humans in her school and just became all-around more socially active. At the age of thirteen, she started using Duskull for battle. It wasn't her decision but Duskull's. He wanted to be impressive like every other Pokemon owned by a human, and let's just say Veronica's boost in confidence boosted his as well. It was as if the two had an unbreakable bond.
 
Over the course of three years, Veronica earned herself quite a reputation and won a contest going on to decide who the new gym leader should be. Shortly after that, she found another ghost Pokemon, a flying all known as Ghastly. She had Duskull duke it out with the ghost. As a result, Duskull evolved to its next form, Dusclops, and Ghastly became Veronica's second Pokemon partner.
 
The Goth got to her feet and turned to Asuna shouting, “THIS DUSKNOIR MEANS MORE TO ME THAN A HEARTLESS WOMAN LIKE YOU COULD EVER UNDERSTAND!!!!! DO YOU EVEN CONSIDER THAT SABLEYE OF YOURS A FRIEND!?”
 
Asuna laughed and remarked, “Don't be ridiculous. Pokemon aren't friends. They are merely weapons used to help you in battle.”
 
Sableye turned to his master upon hearing. He had a sad look on his face, but he knew that he couldn't turn on Asuna. She had the power to seal him up in his Pokeball forever. He was bound to her and had no choice but to follow her commands.
 
Veronica fumed in response to these words. What kind of trainer was this ninja girl? She had no compassion for others. Such a being should not be allowed to own a Pokemon.
 
“YOU ARE DESPICABLE!!!” she snapped as Dusknoir angrily ignored the pain coursing through his body and rose. Veronica turned to him with a serious look and nodded, the ghost cupping his hands together and forming a large ball of energy.
 
Asuna laughed and said, “You just don't know your limits, do you?” and shouted, “SABLEYE, HIT HIM BEFORE HE CAN ATTACK!!!”
 
Sableye growled and stood there, folding his arms as Asuna turned to him and growled, “Do you want me to put you in your ball and never release you?”
 
Sableye trembled with fear before turning to his opponent and charging towards the ghost only for Dusknoir to release a large Shadow Ball three times the size of a normal one. Sableye covered his face, knowing he couldn't dodge this, but after five seconds, he didn't feel anything.
 
He uncovered his eyes and turned to see his master, Asuna out cold. The Shadow Ball had not been aimed at the Pokemon but at his trainer.
 
Veronica walked past Sableye who refused to stop her. The Goth proceeded to swipe Asuna's Pokeball and turned to Sableye saying, “If you want, you can come with me. I promise I'll take good care of you.”
 
The gremlin bits his lip letting down tears. This was the happiest moment of his life. He simply embraced Veronica as the girl smiled, returning him to his ball and keeping it for herself.
 
`You see?' she thought looking at Asuna's unconscious body, `Showing respect for your Pokemon is not a waste of time. Just like us, they are living, breathing beings.'
 
Jenna and Donavan were quite pleased to see their fully evolved Pokemon performing better than ever before. Gligar was on the ground groaning with pain and Noctowl had Purugly's claws digging into his back while pinning her there. Jacob's Pokemon weren't doing much better as Infernape was pinned up against the wall by Rhyperior and Crawdaunt had Lucario trapped between his pincers.
 
Jenna laughed maniacally shouting, “FINALLY, YOU TWO THORNS IN OUR SIDES HAVE BEEN DEFEATED!!!!”
 
“This is truly a celebratory moment,” Donavan said with a grin, “the boss will be so happy!”
 
Izy had an angry look as she gritted her teeth and clenched her fists. She couldn't believe this. The two has-beens of Team Advent were now beating her. This filled her up with rage she had never felt before.
 
Jacob bit his lip and trembled, worried that Lucario was going to die. When Lucario cried out in pain, he shouted, “STOP THAT!!!!” and lunged towards the battle area.
 
Izy stared wide-eyed and blinked. Was Jacob insane? That may as well have been the case for he had thrown himself at Crawdaunt, attempting to strike the crab with his fist.
 
Crawdaunt simply let go of his victim and held his hand out, blocking the incoming fist and hurled Jacob into the wall. Lucario saw his master out cold and let down tears as did Infernape. Jacob had sacrificed his health for Lucario's sake. His head was hurting badly and his arm was bleeding from Crawdaunt's claws.
 
The infant let out a cry of rage as he glared at Crawdaunt, his eyes glowing yellow. The crab had no time to respond as Lucario opened his mouth, unleashing a powerful Hyper Beam and knocking him out.
 
Infernape gritted her teeth and struggled before releasing her arms from Rhyperior's grip. It didn't stop there either. Her fist glowed as it hit the rhino hard in the chest. Despite the fact that Rhyperior had armor, this couldn't protect him from a fighting type move as he was weak against fighting attacks like Mach Punch.
 
The monkey proceeded to charged at the rhino unleashing a series of strikes. Close Combat had done a lot but it also hurt Infernape with recoil damage. Despite this, Rhyperior had been defeated and fell on his back hard, Donavan returning his two Pokemon with a sigh.
 
Upon seeing this, Izy smiled as she started to feel more hopeful. It had looked completely hopeless for Jacob's Pokemon and yet they still pulled through. If they could do it, certainly her Pokemon could too.
 
“DONAVAN, HOW COULD YOU LET THAT HAPPEN!?” Jenna snapped, her Pokemon glaring at the man as well. The man simply grinned nervously and let down a sweat drop saying, “Sorry, I was unprepared for that.”
 
Izy saw this as the perfect opportunity as she mouthed silent commands to her Pokemon. They nodded and flew towards their distracted opponents, Gligar slamming his scorpion claw hard into the back of Dragonite's neck Noctowl delivering a more powerful than usual peck to Purugly's back.
 
Purugly had taken in quite a bit of damage prior, so this peck was more than enough to finish the fat cat off and the attack Dragonite had just succumbed to was Guillotine, a move that was ensured to knock out whoever it hit.
 
Dragonite's neck was now bleeding as Jenna stared wide-eyed and turned angrily to Donavan shouting, “LOOK WHAT YOU MADE HAPPEN!!!!!!??”
 
“I'm sorry!” the man cried, “I'm terrible!”
 
And with that, Jenna returned her Pokemon in frustration and the duo fled. Despite them escaping once again, Izy was satisfied. To make things even better, Gligar's body was starting to change.
 
His wings were now three times the size they were before and his flesh was now purple rather than pink. His scorpion claws had been replaced with large crab claws and his teeth were a lot sharper. His tail was also longer with two stingers instead of one and his face was more menacing to look at. This new Pokemon Izy saw before her was Gligar's evolved form, Gliscor.
 
After that nice moment, she remembered something important and ran over to where Lucario and Infernape were now standing. The back of Jacob's head was bleeding along with his arm. Izy let down tears looking at his Pokemon and said, “I'm sure Jacob's okay.”
 
The group stood there for another minute and got no response, and to make things worse, Izy heard no breathing coming from the boy. No, it couldn't be.
 
Lucario broke out into heavy tears as Infernape sniffed, but before Izy had lost all hope Jacob opened his eyes slowly and asked, “What's everyone crying about? Did we lose?”
 
Izy's eyes sparkled as she embraced the boy in a rough bear hug, the boy groaning in pain while the girl shouted, “JACOB, IF YOU EVER WORRY ME LIKE THAT AGAIN THE NEXT ONE WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!”
 
The boy shuddered at the thought and soon all seemed like it had turned out for the better. With Donavan and Jenna taken care of, it was time for the group to move on. They had to stop Team Advent from achieving their plans no matter what.