Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ The Story Behind Scyther ( Chapter 24 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
The battle between Max and Aragon was not going too well. Aragon had already lost three Pokemon while Max both of his Pokemon out and in rather good health considering how many Aragon had used. One was a fierce bird known as Fearow. The other was a strong and buff bird called Staraptor.
 
Aragon looked down and sighed. He pulled out two Pokeballs saying, “This is it. You two are my last hope.”
 
Max laughed fiendishly and said, “You should just give up. My Pokemon have both been trained to be able to take on entire flocks of birds! What chance can you possibly have!?”
 
“You may think it's over for me,” the gym leader remarked, “but you haven't seen the true powerhouses of my team yet.”
 
With that, he hurled two Pokeballs into the air summoning Honchkrow and… a Scyther? What was a bird trainer doing with that? Let alone that fact, why would he even consider using it against two overpowered birds?
 
Max simply broke out into hysterics as Aragon grinned wickedly saying, “My Scyther may be weak against your birds, but wait until you see just how powerful he can be.”
 
Max stopped laughing and sighed, “Alright, Fearow, let that Scyther hit you. Show him that you can stand up to his attacks.”
 
The Scyther soared towards the ferocious bird and sent out an X-Strike to its chest. Now, this being a bug type attack, it shouldn't have dealt too much, however, when this attack landed Fearow cried out in intense pain as its flesh opened up, blood literally raining out as if Fearow's chest was a fountain. Then the bird fell flat on his back as Max was just about to return it only to twitch and let down tears.
 
“It's not worth it,” Aragon stated with a serious expression, “That Fearow of yours is dead. I didn't want to have to resort to that.”
 
Max was furious now. How dare his life's work be in vein? Things were only looking worse for him as Honchkrow hit Staraptor with a Hyper Beam knocking the bird to the ground. Unlike Fearow, Staraptor had lived, so Max returned him and let down tears.
 
“How could a bug type do that much damage to a bird type?” he asked as Aragon smiled and said, “Stop crying and I'll tell you.”
 
Aragon remembered very well the day he'd met Scyther. He was only 8 years old at the time and was simply playing in his back yard which was out on a pasture. Yes, he wasn't born in the same place his gym was located.
 
During this, he noticed a Scyther being attacked by a flock of bird Pokemon. Feeling concerned, he ran over with a pitch fork shouting, “LEAVE THAT SCYTHER ALONE!!!!”
 
The birds flew off as the Scyther fell to the ground, covered in bruises. Aragon ran over to the bug Pokemon and took him in to be treated. And thus a friendship had started.
 
“Hey, Scyther,” he said while he applied ointment to the wounds, “why were those birds attacking you?”
 
Scyther looked down as Aragon gasped, realizing that the birds had no reason. He felt sorry for the poor bug, but what could he do?
 
“I've got it!” he shouted, “I'll train you to stand up to birds of all forms! You'll never be bullied by one again!”
 
“So you see,” Aragon said in present time, “like your birds, I trained Scyther to become virtually unstoppable, though unlike you, I made him good enough to defeat even the very beings he's weak against with no sweat. The only Pokemon he couldn't possibly beat are the legends.”
 
Max nodded in understanding and admitted defeat. He knew that Aragon was far too powerful a trainer for him to take.
 
Meanwhile, Derk and Miles were at each other's throats, not literally of course, as their Pokemon continued to duke it out. Charizard scratched Magmortar hard across the face delivering his Dragon Claw but the fire duck-like creature was not going to fall to such a simple attack. He shook off the pain send a thunder punch to the dragon's gut, Charizard crying out in pain while Miles laughed.
 
“I'm still better than you,” he said as Derk grinned and remarked, “Oh, really?”
 
Miles wondered what the man meant until he noticed Rapidash taking Camerupt apart. Camerupt attempted to hit the horse Pokemon but Rapidash was far too quick to be hit by such a slow creature as she dodged to the side and rammed her horn into his face.
 
“This is unexpected,” Derk stated, “It might just be me, but Camerupt seems weaker than usual.”
 
“SHUT UP!!!” Miles retorted, “Once he uses Earthquake, that advantage of yours will be gone!”
 
Silence filled the area as Derk blinked and folded his arms asking, “So, is he going to do it? I'm prepared to lose, you know.”
 
Miles let down sweat and sighed, “Alright, you may as well know. This Camerupt doesn't yet know Earthquake.”
 
“How did that happen?” Derk remarked as the evil gym leader spat, “My old Camerupt drowned, alright!? This is his replacement!”
 
Derk's eyes went wide for a moment until he put on a serious expression and said, “I see. That must have been hard on you. I'm sorry for your loss.”
 
“What are you yammering on about!?” Miles retorted, “I'm the enemy! You shouldn't be feeling sorry for me!”
 
“Excuse me!” Derk retorted, “Pardon me for having a sense of morals! You may be the enemy, but that doesn't stop you from having feelings! Forgive me for caring, you jerk!”
 
Derk realized that he was being harsh. He knew that Miles didn't mean what he'd said either. However, everything Miles had done made Derk angry, so angry that he didn't care. He wanted the former gym leader to pay for his actions.
 
“BOTH OF YOU FINISH THE JOB!!!!” he snapped as Charizard and Rapidash first charged at Magmortar, realizing he was the biggest threat in this battle. With a bit of team work, they dodged everything Magmortar used to try and stop them, taking the creature out for good.
 
All that was left was Camerupt who started to tremble as Miles returned him along with his other Pokemon saying, “My old Camerupt was much braver. This guy can't seem to battle tough opponents without help.”
 
“You may talk down on him, but I know you care for that Camerupt, right?” Derk asked as Miles glared, refusing to respond to that question.
 
Derk smiled, knowing that Miles still hadn't completely gotten over the loss of his old Camerupt. The two had so much history. The truth was Camerupt was the first Pokemon Miles had ever trained.
 
As a child, Miles didn't have much of an outdoor life. His parents made him study most of the time so he hardly ever went outside. He watched the other kids play and felt envious. He wished he could just join them.
 
See, he didn't know what he wanted as a career, and he only accepted his parents' drive to make him smarter so he could achieve the potential to get any kind of job when his goal became clear to him. He had majored in being a surgeon, mastered almost everything there was to know about Math and could write an English essay that was beyond Shakespeare-worthy.
 
However, the reason he could never decide which of his courses was more important was because none of these jobs he was overworked to gain were right for him. He just didn't realize it for he had no ambition.
 
One day, he was on his way to the store when an old man walked over to him and said, “Little boy, I see emptiness in your eyes. You don't feel satisfied by your undying success, do you?”
 
Miles thought hard about this and eventually shook his head saying, “No, I don't know what I want in life and I don't even think I'm going in the right direction.”
 
“Perhaps you shouldn't worry about such advances careers and do something exciting,” the old man said, “But you have to consider this. Someone with your brains could truly benefit mankind.”
 
That was true. Miles knew the importance of the careers he was working towards. He had enough knowledge of all these concepts to be a Scientist or a doctor or even an astronomer. But he didn't see anything enjoyable about these things. They may have been important, but there were many others who were far more experienced than him in a single one of these work fields. Why should the world need him when it had all the help it needed already?
 
“You want excitement,” the old man said handing him a small ball, the boy's eyes wide.
 
“Do you know what this is?” the man asked as Miles nodded happily saying, “It's a Pokeball! People use it to capture Pokemon!”
 
The old man nodded and said, “Come with me. I'll help you catch your first Pokemon with that ball.”
 
The man allowed Miles to borrow a clam Pokemon called Shellder to assist him. The old man took him to the mountains outside of his hometown where he knew Pokemon weak against Shellder, a water type, dwelled. However, catching a Pokemon with it as his partner was harder than he'd imagined. Even the Geodude living there were too good for Shellder to overpower.
 
“This is hopeless!” the boy shouted after ten attempts, “Even with a water type, I can't beat these things!”
 
“Don't give up,” the old man said with a warm smile, “Just keep trying.”
 
Suddenly, the boy saw a small camel with one hump walking by. This was a Numel, something he'd only dreamt of ever owning. Was this a sign? Maybe he could catch this one.
 
“GO SHELLDER!!!” the boy shouted unleashing his Pokemon who started off with an attack called Clamp. Despite being a physical attack, this was technically a water type move, so it dealt major damage to the Numel.
 
The Numel shook it off and unleashed an ember as Miles had the clam use Protect. With this move, he hid in his shell to avoid taking in any damage from the oncoming flames, not that they would have done much anyway.
 
Miles had a burning fire in his eyes as he shouted, “NOW USE BRINE!!!!”
 
The old man didn't even think Shellder knew Brine, but as luck would have it, his Shellder just learned it on the spot as if Miles' newfound passion was giving the clam Pokemon power. Numel felt very weak, too weak to escape as he was consumed into the Pokeball.
 
Miles let down tears of joy hugging the old man and crying, “Thank you so much, Mister! I know what I must do! I'm going to be a Pokemon trainer!”
 
And so he returned the old man's Shellder and eventually caught a small Magby, the pre-evolutionary form of Magmar. Through tough times, the two Pokemon developed into mean fighting machines and Miles was eventually accepted as the Mossberg gym leader.
 
Miles sighed and turned his back to Derk, folding his arms and saying, “Well, go on ahead, Derk. I can't stop you anymore.”
 
Derk let out a soft chuckle and walked past the man. He knew Miles wasn't truly as evil as he'd let on.