Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ Kevin vs. Jacob... sorta ( Chapter 33 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
The battle began with Floatzel charging towards Nidoking with Aqua Jet, her nose pointed towards the large rat's chest and a burst of water surrounding her body. But just as the attack was about to land, Nidoking lowered his horn, which was now glowing. Jacob recognized this as Mega Horn.
 
With that, the horn and the coat of water collided with one-another, Nidoking putting all of his force into keeping Floatzel from damaging him. Anna wasn't sure who would win this bout, but she was rather impressed by this clash of attacks.
 
One would probably think Floatzel had the advantage. After all, Megahorn was a bug type attack, to which Floatzel was average against, whereas Aqua Jet was a water type attack, which Nidoking was weak against. However, there was a large difference in power between the two that made things more interesting, Aqua Jet being average in terms of power and Megahorn being three times stronger.
 
After a few seconds, an explosion came from both sides as the buff rodent and weasel were sent flying into separate walls of the gym. Jacob winced, worried about Floatzel's health while Anna had a neutral look on.
 
Floatzel slowly rose to her feet, rubbing the back of her head as Jacob shouted, “WAY TO GO!!!!” but his tune changed when he saw her body struggling to stay up. Floatzel had taken in far more damage than first anticipated from that blast.
 
Jacob's eyes went wide with fear when he noticed that Nidoking had only taken in a minor scratch. Any signs of pain were nearly unnoticeable and the rodent was standing as if nothing had just happened.
 
The boy realized things were looking bad and returned Floatzel immediately. He let out a sigh and said, “You've done a good job so far, Floatzel, but it's time to rest.”
 
Nidoqueen had a worried expression, but her worry left when Nidoking turned to her, folding his arms and grinning proudly. That previous attack from Floatzel wasn't enough to do him in.
 
`Okay, that didn't work too well,' Jacob thought with a serious look on his face, `but who else should I use? Cacturne's weak against him, Electrike barely has anything that could harm him…'
 
His train of thought was interrupted by a small tug on his pant leg. He looked down and noticed Riolu looking up at him as if wanting a taste of the action. Jacob was shocked. Ever since Riolu had been reborn, he seemed to be afraid of powerful opponents. Was the new and weaker Riolu even ready for this?
 
Jacob grinned and said, “Alright, get in there and make me proud,” the infant stepped into the battle field with a look of confidence.
 
Godly powers or not, Riolu was Jacob's best friend and nothing was going to change that. Jacob always had faith in Riolu since the beginning and no matter what the circumstances, that trust would never leave his side.
 
“Riolu, don't attack yet,” Jacob stated, “Wait for Nidoking to make the first move.”
 
And that Riolu did as Nidoking charged towards him, his horn downward and a gust of air surrounding him. This was bad. Nidoking was using Peck, and even though Nidoking couldn't fly, this still counted as a flying attack and Riolu was weak against flying attacks.
 
“RIOLU, DODGE IT AND USE FORCE PALM!!!!” Jacob snapped as the infant attempted to side-step the move but was too slow to react, taking in the blow and suffering major damage.
 
Anna still had her neutral look on as Jacob grimaced and thought, `Before, Riolu would have easily dodged that. This is going to be difficult.'
 
Then he realized something that would be more effective and shouted an attack that Riolu had used in his previous life on a Nidorino. As Nidoking went in for another Peck attack, the infant dashed towards the rodent, shifting his body to the right and avoiding the incoming blow and making a U-turn, ramming his elbow hard into the rodent's face.
 
Nidoking grimaced, rubbing his face while Riolu took advantage of this, ramming his palm hard into the large rat's cheek. Despite the fact that Force Palm was a rather average move and Nidoking having an advantage over fighting type moves, this still seemed like enough to take the Pokemon down.
 
Jacob let down tears of joy, embracing his partner shouting, “There's the Riolu I know!” Anna's warm smile forming.
 
Next up was Nidoqueen with a furious look in her eyes. Apparently, she seemed to feel very compassionately towards Nidoking and let's just say seeing him defeated wasn't a satisfying feeling.
 
“Sit this one out, Riolu,” Jacob said as the infant returned to his master's side, Jacob pulling out a Pokeball and saying, “I think she's rested long enough,” sending Floatzel into the battle.
 
Apparently, Nidoking had done a lot more damage than expected. Floatzel was still a tad shaky from the last battle. Jacob stood there and blinked asking, “Are you okay?”
 
Floatzel turned to her master with a look of confidence and nodded before turned to her opponent. Luckily, Nidoqueen's temper was far worse than one could ever imagine as the beast charged towards Floatzel furiously. This was good because it was clearly clouding her judgment, leaving her wide open for Floatzel's Water Gun.
 
The blast of liquid rammed hard into the horned rodent's chest as she flew into a wall right next to where Nidoking had been sent earlier. Before she could respond, Floatzel rammed hard into her shoulder with Water Pulse, dealing some massive damage to it. To only make things more painful, the weasel proceeded to sink her fangs into Nidoqueen's arm, powering it with ice for an attack known as Ice Fang.
 
Jacob's eyes sparkled as he sniffed, “Even under a terrible injury, she's still kicking butt for my sake! I'm… so proud!”
 
But Nidoqueen was not going to let this slide. She was even angrier now and this alone gave her enough strength to resist the pain on her arm. To start things off, she used her free hand to scratch Floatzel across the cheek, the weasel releasing her fangs immediately afterwards.
 
“This isn't good…” Jacob stated as Nidoqueen proceeded to ram hard horn into Floatzel's chest, a small bit of blood trickling down. This wasn't Megahorn as Nidoqueen couldn't learn this attack. It was Poison Sting and it seemed to be working as Floatzel had a rather weak look to her now.
 
`What can I possibly do?' Jacob thought, `If Floatzel attacks, she'll take in additional damage, but if she doesn't, Nidoqueen will beat her anyway.'
 
He realized what he had to do and whipped out Floatzel's Pokeball, but when the beam came towards her, the weasel stepped to the side and shook her head towards Jacob. The boy's eyes went wide as a tear ran down his face. Floatzel was willing to continue fighting just so he could win the gym badge. This loyalty was truly awe-inspiring.
 
Unfortunately, this touching moment didn't last long as Nidoqueen hit the weasel hard in the back, knocking Floatzel out for good. This was Nidoqueen's strongest attack, Superpower.
 
Jacob let down a tear and returned his Floatzel saying, “I'm very proud of you, buddy,” as Riolu charged towards Nidoqueen without warning. Jacob was shocked. He hadn't even told Riolu to battle, but Riolu's compassion towards his allies seemed a lot stronger than it had been in his past life.
 
Before Nidoqueen could even respond, she took a hard Force Palm to the face. This wouldn't have been enough to take her down had she not taken in a lot of damage from Floatzel earlier, so she was out cold, Jacob happily embracing Riolu and Anna still with her warm smile.
 
This was a good sign. Sure, Floatzel was unable to fight, but Jacob still had Cacturne, and unlike the last two opponents, Hippowdon was actually weak against grass types. His plan to save Cacturne for Hippowdon had worked.
 
“Go get him, Cacturne!” Jacob shouted as the cactus man took form, standing tall and proud.
 
Hippowdon let out a loud roar and unleashed large amounts of sand from the holes in his back, hitting Cacturne hard in the face with it. This was known as Sand Attack. It didn't necessarily deal any damage, however, it did get sand in the opponent's eyes. This mean attacks would be harder to land.
 
Jacob cringed at the sight of this as Anna had a neutral look, Hippowdon slamming his foot into the ground and unleashing a shockwave. Cacturne didn't see the Earthquake attack being used and took in the blow at full force, flying into the air and landing hard on his back.
 
“Hang in there, Cacturne!” Jacob shouted as the cactus Pokemon slowly rose back to his feet. It would take a lot more than that to finish him for good.
 
“Let's start things off with Leech Seed!” Jacob spat as Cacturne nodded, unleashing an array of small seeds from his arms. Despite the loss of accuracy, the attack seemed to be well-aimed as the seeds scattered all over Hippowdon's body, covering him in vines. This meant that every time Hippowdon attacked, he would have to give up some of his health to Cacturne.
 
The cactus proceeded to drawing in energy towards his body. This attack was known as Absorb, and it did just as the name implied. It sucked health from the opponent.
 
However, due to Cacturne's lack of vision, he had failed to hit Hippowdon this time around as the hippo charged at the cactus, ramming hard into him with Tackle. The attack had done a good amount of damage to Cacturne, but Hippowdon had also lost a bit of health in the process thanks to Leech Seed, so the cactus ignored the pain just dealt to him.
 
“Good,” Jacob said with a grin, “That last move was a minor set back, but it seems we're back on track now. Cacturne, hit him with Needle Arm!”
 
Hippowdon was far too close for this attack to hit, despite Cacturne's lack of accuracy, so the hard punch landed hard into Hippowdon's face dealing major damage due to the hippo's weakness to grass type moves. However, this was not a time to celebrate as Hippowdon ignored the pain, biting hard into Cacturne's arm, which the cactus stupidly left sticking out when he didn't even realize he'd hit his target.
 
“CACTURNE, NO!!!!” Jacob shouted with fear as fire started to seep out of Hippowdon's teeth. This was Fire Fang and Cacturne being a grass type was weak against this.
 
Jacob's eyes were wide open as Hippowdon proceeded to whip his head around, releasing his grip on Cacturne's arm and sending the cactus flying into the wall. Cacturne had been defeated. What could Jacob possibly do now?
 
“Well, I guess all I got left is you, Riolu,” he said as the infant started to tremble now. Where was all that courage earlier? Then it hit Jacob. Perhaps the only reason Riolu was so confident before was because he knew he had protection from Jacob's other allies. Then logic hit Jacob like a rock.
 
“I can just use my other Pokemon,” Jacob said with a sigh, “It's not like there's a rule against that.”
 
“Actually, there is,” Anna said clearing her throat and taking out Kevin's letter saying, “P. S. - Challengers may only use three Pokemon for this battle. Anyone who uses more than three will not receive the badge. I have made sure my Pokemon would enforce this rule without problem.”
 
Jacob sighed and said, “Riolu, please, don't be afraid. If you get hurt too much, I'll just take you to the centre.”
 
Riolu looked up at his master and nodded, slowly walking into the battle area. Hippowdon opened his mouth as Riolu braced himself only to get a loud yawn.
 
“What was that?” Jacob asked as Riolu stood there blinking, Hippowdon not even moving.
 
“That's it?” the boy asked, “Not even so much as an attack?”
 
Jacob sighed as he and Riolu both felt a tad disappointed, but Riolu remember he had to win as he leapt at Hippowdon, unleashing a powerful Force Palm to his forehead. However, after the attack hit, Hippowdon groaning in pain, Riolu started to feel drowsy as he slowly fell into a deep sleep.
 
All was silent until it hit Jacob like a blow to the head. “Of course!” he exclaimed, slamming his fist into his palm, “That yawn earlier was Hippowdon's Yawn attack. Yawn puts an opponent to sleep the second the opponent retaliates with a move of his own!”
 
This was certainly bad, but if Jacob returned Riolu, he would lose. He wouldn't dare lose after all that hard work leading up to this.
 
But things were certainly looking bad as Hippowdon lifted the infant up with his teeth, sending fire all throughout his body. As Riolu was part steel type, this was dealing a lot of damage. And just like before with Cacturne, Hippowdon hurled the infant hard into the wall, Riolu falling to the ground.
 
“RIOLU!!!!” Jacob shouted with tears forming. Forget the badge. Riolu was in extreme pain now.
 
However, Anna had a calm smile on as she said, “Don't worry. He's okay,” Riolu slowly opening his eyes and rising to his feet, Hippowdon's eyes wide with shock and Jacob letting down tears of joy.
 
“Riolu, I don't think you should overexert yourself,” Jacob sniffed, “Come on, let's go to the centre and try again later.”
 
But Riolu did not like this idea in the slightest, and much to everyone's surprise, his body started to glow. His body changed shape, his ears and tail longer and spikes coming from his wrists. Jacob and Anna's eyes sparkled as Riolu had just evolved into Lucario.
 
Jacob let down tears of happiness shouting, “IT'S GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN, LUCARIO!!!” the infant nodding and cupping his hands together before unleashing a devastating Aura Sphere, knocking out Hippowdon who was too shocked to react.
 
At that exact moment, Lucario ran over to Jacob and embraced him tightly. This hug was much more compassionate than the ones earlier and soon the reason came to Jacob.
 
“Lucario,” Jacob said biting his lip and letting down a waterslide of tears, rubbing the Pokemon's back, “You remember, don't you?”
 
Lucario nodded as Anna looked curiously saying, “It seems that big display of friendship coming from you two restored his memory.”
 
Jacob laughed in response to this saying, “Well, it's good to have the old you back, buddy, but… just for the record… does this mean you have your godly powers back?”
 
An awkward silence followed before Jacob grinned saying, “I'm just kidding. I know that's asking too much of you.”
 
Then Jacob and Anna's eyes went wide before the two shouted, “WE NEED TO CATCH THE END OF IZY'S POKERINGER CONTEST!!!” but before the two could leave, a small robot walked towards Jacob with a small object that resembled a piece of gold saying, “Congratulations on winning the Gold Badge!”
 
And so, Jacob gladly accepted his gym badge and the three friends were off to make sure they didn't miss the end of Izy's contest. What kind of friends would they be if they weren't there for her in the end?