Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ PSoH: The Pokemon Legend ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Plotbunnies are like candles. They keep flickering in the wind, on and off.
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This is non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfic written by me and so it's mine!
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokémon talks
Air Sylph - thanks!
Akiko Koishii - I know, read your profiles
Link Masters - haven't seen you in a _long_ time, how have you been?
 
Chapter 7: Display
 
Ash watched the coils of electricity arc over his arms in complicated patterns, satisfied with his control and the amount he had created.
“Very good.” Lance said. Without warning, she lunged at him, claws shining.
Ash immediately shielded, the air hardening around him to form a barrier. The lightning continued to play in his hands.
“Not bad, you did not lose concentration.”
Ash relaxed. “No.”
“See? I told you that you had improved.”
“You have never lied to me.”
Lance smiled wryly, as she sat down next to him. “Are you certain?”
“I scried, remember?”
“Oh yes… but water will never show everything.”
Ash chuckled. “Perhaps not, but I learned enough. I'm glad you're protecting me.”
Lance smiled, her scales shining with happiness.
 
From a convenient tree, Charlotte shook her head wryly. Ever since Ash had come to the pet shop so long ago, she knew he had not chosen her.
But it was all right.
The fresh air and freedom were more than she had ever hoped for.
She watched, amused, as Lance poked Ash and he tried to avoid her tickling without much success.
Laughter and half-hearted threats drifted though the warm spring air.
Oh yes, life was good.
 
It began to snow, as Ash and Lance began a practice battle. Charlotte immediately set the fifteen-yard radius circle around them, as not to cause unnecessary damage.
It was going quite well, fire and ice and water clashing and flaming and boiling and freezing all over the place.
But Ash was getting better, he could hold his own most of the time now.
So much the better. Who wanted a weak master?
At least Ash wasn't stupid. That would be absolutely torture.
 
Flames seared and licked at Lance's scales, but they were deflected. She wasn't a dragon for nothing.
She yawned as a snowdrift buried Ash.
Ash quickly shifted his form to vapor and escaped, before launching electricity at her.
Lance's eyes flashed, the air itself immobilizing him.
“You still need to be on your guard. Do not always make overly dramatic gestures, sometimes it gives away your plan.”
Ash nodded mutely, as she freed him and stepped back.
 
Ash's eyes glowed, two copies of him appearing as well, they all charged with a sword of earth energy.
Lance ignored one, knowing it was a clone, as the Dragonite Spirit she had summoned finished it off.
The other two kept charging.
Lance formed her twin daggers of ice, and blocked.
Defense, she could hold out longer than Ash could attack. As she slashed across his arm, she began to leech off his magic.
Ash didn't realize it until a few minutes later when his spell to summon a meteor failed.
“You must be more careful though.'
Ash nodded, as he took two potions from Charlotte and drank them. “I will have to be. Danger is everywhere.”
“Exactly. Protect yourself somehow.”
“Hai.”
 
Charlotte coated him with the healing flames of a phoenix, and then let the battle resume.
Sparks flew, but there was no real malice in either of their parts, just dedication and devotion.
Nevermore.
 
Timeline: 2 months later…
 
“The championships are beginning today.” Ash said nonchalantly as he ate the scrambled eggs and toast his mom had cooked up. He had swung by Pallet two weeks ago and stayed.
“How wonderful!” Delilah said, admiring his badges.
“Yes.” Ash smiled. “I can't wait.”
“But dear, you only have three pokemon. That's risky.”
“Don't worry mom.”
“All right, if you know what you're doing. And you didn't evolve any of them either.”
“Evolution isn't everything. Plus, people underestimate me.”
“I guess that's true…”
 
It was sunny outside the gingham curtains, butter melting on the white picket fences in shades of gold.
Sunshine meant he could draw magic from the sun.
Sunspark potion didn't really taste like anything, but Moonglow was like peaches.
Ash could feel his body glowing invisibly, as it refilled its magic stores. His endurance had also improved with training.
It was time to brag.
 
Not literally, but Ash couldn't wait to see the frowns on the faces of his `rivals'.
Joe, who was eight, and Kelly, who was seven.
Kelly had bouncy purple hair and a Bulbasaur, while Joe was extremely quite, with mousy locks.
He had an Oddish.
But of course, Ash had fire and water on his side. He didn't even know if they were competing, but he assumed they were.
After all, they could not have possibly won championships the year before. A freak accident at Indigo Plateau had cancelled the grand event.
Pity.
 
End Chapter
Completed 3/11/04