Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ PSoH: The Pokemon Legend ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own pokemon!
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
CHAMPIONSHIPPING WARNING
 
KiAnson - hai, hai, I'm updating!
Link Masters - thanks!
Star's Dreams - ah… thank you
Tomo Star - When are you updating your fic? ;.;
 
Chapter 6: Aprender
 
The next morning, Lance was teaching Ash how to concentrate his energy first. It took him a few days to learn that step.
Then, she started with the basic spells. Bubbles, drops of water, tiny flames, bits of light and darkness…
Wind, earth, weather in small sections…
It was two weeks before Ash could produce water and fire. Bubbles came easily though, that only took a day.
He was at the moment, working on producing a square foot of weather phenomenon. Wind wasn't too bad, but rain… on, that took energy.
Charlotte spent the days cooking up healing potions for him. He drank some each night, knowing he had to keep going.
Why?
 
Charmander and Squirtle and Delibird helped too. They learned a little magic themselves, not much, but some to get by.
“Lunch!”
All four trainees ran towards the voice. Charlotte passed out berries and toasted cheese sandwiches, as she studied their varying expressions of fatigue.
“That bad today?”
Ash sighed. “I managed to extend the weather to two by two feet, but it took a lot out of me.”
“Here's a Sunspark Potion. It's daylight now.”
“Thank you!” Ash ate the sandwiches and fruit, and then drank the potion as well as a bottle of water.
No fear of dehydration.
Squirtle held out his hands proudly, showing the flames dancing on them.
“Good work! You could hurt grass-types with that if you added more power.”
Squirtle beamed beatifically.
 
Delibird practiced calling up rain. After all, with Present as his only attack, anything else was greatly accepted.
Of course, pokemon had more of a connection to the weather, so it was easier for him than it was for Ash.
Still, Ash persevered at his studies. Pokemon League went on the back burner as he tried to better himself.
It took almost a year and a half before he had some semblance of control. He was fourteen, going on fifteen. But, he was proud of himself.
The rainy skies cleared as he flew to Viridian, the wind carrying him along on its currents, wings of dark glossy green on his back, an advanced spell.
He was truly stronger. It wasn't a lie anymore.
 
He landed outside the gym, and went inside.
The gym leader waited on a platform. Ash walked to the second and without a word, the battle began.
No fancy chatter or sky boasts.
Skill, power, and strength, were all he used.
 
A Rhyhorn? Squirtle landed it dead in seconds. A Golem? Same deal. A Kingler? Ah, that was more interesting.
Delibird.
Vines sprouted from the floor, rooting Kingler down as Delibird performed the spell. Then, the vines threw Kingler into the roof.
That could not have been healthy at all.
Ash smiled, as Delibird preened, before finishing the match with Present.
Presents were always fun to play with.
 
Giovanni looked slightly shaken. Of course, it wasn't every day you saw an ice pokemon do a grass move.
And it wasn't even Hidden Power!”
No, that wasn't quite true. Magic did count as a hidden talent, did it not? Yes… it would. Not many could wield it.
Ash smiled, waiting for the last pokemon.
Nidoqueen.
 
This time, Delibird whipped up a Blizzard. It could learn the TM legally, but Ash had never found that particular TM.
More magic. Luckily, connections to ice helped Delibird along.
Nidoqueen poison stung.
Ash hummed, as the proper song leeched off the poison condition. Delibird called up another storm.
Nidoqueen was frozen solid!
Ash smiled, taking the Earth Badge. It was time.
 
Lance followed him as he registered for the league and waited.
“Are you overconfident?”
“No, I don't think so.” Ash replied thoughtfully. “But I have an edge.”
“You do indeed, my student.” Lance said, kissing him on the forehead.
Ash blushed faintly, but made no other comment.
“You will do fine. For the threads that weave your tapestry of life are beautiful indeed…”
“I just feel like there's so much left to learn.”
“Oh, there is. In magic you never stop learning. But then, take pride in your accomplishments as well.”
Lance began levitating a boulder, idly waving her fingers.
“It will get simpler, I promise you.”
“I believe you.”
 
After all, hadn't he done advanced spells? Hadn't his magic improved? Of course he had!
True, he had sacrificed much time, but nothing good can come out of nothing. There is no such thing as a free lunch, in economics, everything must be paid for, if not in cash, perhaps in time or emotions.
It was just the way life worked.
Perhaps it was a trade-off. He could have caught more pokemon, instead of only having three, but he didn't care.
Those three were his loves, besides the two others in his life, and then his mom.
The judgment was made, the case decided.
Lance ruffled his hair as they watched the wind blow.
 
End Chapter
Completed 3/11/04