Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ PSoH: The Pokemon Legend ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer/Notes: See previous chapter. I don't own pokemon.
SparkyKnight - thanks!
Star's Dreams - Lance is not quite sane in my opinion. Have you checked out my website?
Link Masters - thank you!
 
Chapter 5: Shadow
 
It had been a week.
The trainer-less Jynx had left.
Lance purred as Ash stroked her smooth scales. Charmander was dancing around happily. He had won Ash the Thunder Badge quite easily.
So it all went well.
Yes, Lance wasn't lying when she had told Jynx.
Charlotte could still remember the first time it had happened. It had only been a few months after he had purchased them from the shop.
 
Ash had taken Lance out for fresh air. When they had returned, Lance was carrying Ash in her arms, her scales streaked with crimson.
“What happened?”
“Mary.” Lance said, one short clipped word bursting with hate.
“Ah…” Charlotte said. Dragons were jealous, after all. “Did she hug him?”
“She kissed him.” Lance hissed, clutching Ash slightly tighter.
“She deserved her punishment then.” Charlotte said, and without another word, began laying out a clean set of clothes for Ash and filling the tub. The two of them gave him a bath, dressed him in his pajamas, and put him to bed.
Ash passed it off as a bad dream.
 
This continued for a few months until Ash finally got the hint. Since then, he avoided all girls like the plague.
His cousins were exempted, because Lance did not feel they were a threat.
Still, maybe Ash was too young to care, or there really was something dark lurking in his soul. Because that time the man had tried to mug him, Lance had killed with a second thought, and he had seen it all.
But all he had done was take her home and make them both hot apple cider. Then, he had practically given her permission to take care of him.
And after that, it was simple.
 
 
“Where to now?” Lance asked, as she followed Ash.
I won! I won! Charmander was still in a euphoric haze of glory.
“Yes, you did.” Ash said, favoring Charmander with a hug.
Charmander beamed beatifically.
Squirtle and Delibird hopped after them on the road.
Charlotte flew above, scouting for more danger. There wasn't any, so she went back to her cage and curled up for a nap.
Soon, another junior trainer reared up. Fortunately, this one was male, so Lance was not showing any jealous tendencies.
At least not yet.
 
“Cubone, go!”
“Squirtle… Bubblebeam.” Ash yawned. * That TM from Cerulean isn't useless after all. *
Squirtle nodded, foam spraying from his mouth and damaging Cubone.
Cubone flailed around, slipped, and banged its head on the ground. Thus, it was KO'd.
Squirtle cheered and jumped up and down while Ash patted him on the head.
The next Cubone was taken care of the same way.
One of the questions Ash would never understand was the futility of having many of the same pokemon on your team. What was the point? Was one Rattata stronger than another even though they were on the same level and had the same stats? Bizarre.
The third pokemon was an Oddish. Delibird was more than happy to shower it with bombs. Present did come in handy.
And finally, the last pokemon, a Tangela, fell to Charmander. Looks like the poor crispy pokemon could use a rest.
The battle concluded, Ash walked on.
 
…And on… and on… until nearly a year had passed, and he was standing in front of the laboratories on Cinnabar Island.
It had been a very good year.
Are you sure it's safe to go in there? Delibird asked.
“No, but there must be some mystery.”
I'd be careful, master. Charmander warned, as Ash lassoed the window with a rope and began hoisting himself up.
“I will be.”
 
Climbing in, Ash saw lots of broken machinery. None of it proved to be very interesting. However, after scouring the area, he discovered a scroll of pokemon hybridization techniques.
Ash tucked it into his backpack and then used Escape Rope.
This might come in handy…
 
Lance was making dinner, while Charlotte and Charmander were playing cards together.
“I'm back”
Did you find anything interesting?
“Yes, Delibird.”
Oh! What is it?
“A scroll.”
Hmm….
 
Let me see! Squirtle hopped into his lap and took a peek.
Nice find. This is very difficult to obtain a copy of.
“Something very special?”
Kind of like an instructional magic manual.
“So I can learn magic from it?”
if you have the talent, yes.
“Kakkoii!”
 
Lance purred, resting her clawed fingers on Ash's shoulders. “Dinner's ready.”
“Hai!”
They ate quietly.
 
“Lance, you can teach me magic, right?”
Of course I can.
“Will you?”
Of course I will, for you.
Lance smiled. * I'll do many things for you, if only you knew… *
 
End Chapter
Started 2/27/04, completed 3/11/04
 
I do have a Yahoo!group in case readers want to talk… the link is on my livejournal…