Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey Onward ❯ Chapter Four: Fight! The First Big Battle! ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Four: Fight! The First Big Battle!
 
 
 
“Geez Kathryn, say something already!”
 
Kathryn stared straight ahead as though Krissy hadn't said a word. Her posture was so ridged that Krissy felt for certain that forgiveness was a long way coming. Come on though, a stone tablet in the middle of the woods? Kathryn tried showed them a videotape of it but there was only static. Then, when she'd tried to drag them back to where she'd “found” it, Krissy had firmly put her foot down. Now, Kathryn was sulking because they didn't believe her. They'd made it to Viridian City but she still hadn't said a thing since leaving the forest…
 
And not for a lack of trying on their part either.
 
They'd been trying to make up with her all day but she'd have none of it. It was really starting to worry Krissy. After all, Kathryn knew all about Pokémon. If she saw a dangerous one, she might not tell them about it. Not that she thought Kathryn would actually do something like that, mind you (but it's better safe than sorry!).
 
“Look Kathryn,” Rachel said as they returned their Ponytas to their pokéballs. “Krissy and I are sorry we didn't believe you. We'd like to make it up to you.”
 
Kathryn sent a hooded glance Rachel's way, then at Krissy, listening.
 
“You can nickname two of our Pokémon, any two you want.”
 
“Really?” She seemed doubtful, once more looking towards Krissy.
 
“Yeah,” Krissy's flat tone droned out. “Go ahead.”
 
Kathryn instantly smiled and cheeped out. “I want Charmander to be Pyro and Chikorita to be Briar.”
 
“Alright then,” Rachel swiftly interjected before Krissy could say anything to make Kathryn mad again. “Briar and Pyro it is.”
 
“Which way to the Pokémon Center?” Even her walk now had a cheerful air to it.
 
“I'm not sure.” Rachel turned her map this way and that. “It's not listed here.”
 
Krissy looked at Kathryn. “What about your map?”
 
“Nope, mine's almost the same as Rachel's `cept mine's a hologram and Rachel's is on paper.”
 
“Did I hear you say you're looking for a Pokémon Center?”
 
All three girls turned to see a woman in a police uniform looking at them. Rachel was the first to give a slow nod.
 
The officer gave them directions and they quickly headed to the Pokémon Center. A nurse named Joy took their Pokémon and promised to look over them and make sure they were all “fighting fit!” Since the process was going to take a while, Kathryn used the digital phone to call Professor Oak. Maybe she didn't have proof of what she saw any more, but he was an expert! He had to know something about the words…
 
She could remember it word for word, the inscription carved in stone. The passage struck something in her head, something that she should know, maybe had known once a long time ago. Had she heard it somewhere before?
 
Unfortunately, the Professor wasn't there so Kathryn hung up the phone to see what her friends were up to, which was—
 
“Nothing!” Krissy threw up her hands in exasperation. “There is nothing to do here!”
 
Rachel was lounging on a worn couch that had most assuredly seen better days. She flipped through a magazine, only half interested, before closing it.
 
“You're right.” She tossed the magazine back on the table near the couch.
 
“Of course I'm right!” Krissy paced to the window then paced back to the table and started the process all over again, gesturing wildly. “There has to be something to do!”
 
“Krissy, relax.”
 
Krissy ignored her but couldn't disregard the soft voice of Nurse Joy.
 
“Perhaps I could help… It's true our gym leader is away but you could try your skills at the Trainer House.”
 
Kathryn scanned her memory for any relevant information on the subject but came up with nothing. Seeing this, Nurse Joy smiled and elaborated.
 
“It's a new attraction here in Viridian. Trainers go and battle other trainers there to test their skills. You can have one battle a day with different trainers and it's good experience for trainers and Pokémon.”
 
Her brow wrinkled a little in thought. This might be a good opportunity to see exactly where she stood with her battling skills. “What are the requirements?”
 
“There are no requirements, having Pokémon makes you eligible. The trainers all have Pokémon with different levels so the owners try and match up fairly equal members. Would you like the directions?”
 
“Yeah, that might be fun.” Kathryn gave a big nod and a smile.
 
“I'll bring it along with your Pokémon. Just give me a moment.” With a bob of her pink hair, Joy was out the door.
 
“Might as well go with you, there's nothing to do here.”
 
“Thanks for sounding so enthusiastic.” Kathryn's own dry voice made Krissy smirk.
 
“No problem.”
 
“You going to battle?” Rachel stopped playing with the lint on the couch, intrigued.
 
“Depends. Coming?”
 
“Sure.” Rachel hopped off the couch. “But only if you give me the directions.”
 
“You don't trust me?”
 
Kathryn's hurt tone only made Rachel smile and reply sweetly, “I trust you.” She put her hand on Kathryn's shoulder, smile breaking to a full blown grin. “I just don't trust your sense of direction.”
 
Kathryn turned to whine to Krissy but didn't get to say a thing as Krissy spoke first.
 
“Rachel's leading.”
 
There was a momentary pout before Kathryn consented and went to see how their Pokémon were doing.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Why shouldn't you enter?” The discussion had been going since exiting the Poké Center. “You have awesome Pokémon!”
 
Kathryn shook her head, frustrated. She'd been trying to explain to Rachel why she shouldn't but her friend was insisting. Finally, she settled on a plausible excuse.
 
“I only have five Pokémon. I bet everyone there has six, that alone puts me at a disadvantage.” Kathryn figured Rachel would drop it but she was strangely surprised when Krissy grudgingly spoke.
 
“You can borrow my Charmander.”
 
“What about Briar?” Rachel eagerly pulled out his Pokéball, enlarging it as they entered the Trainer House.
 
Now, Kathryn was tempted. She had a Dark/Fire, Bug/Poison, Fire, Water, and Normal… if she borrowed Briar—Nah. None of her Pokémon had any outstanding moves and her strongest Pokémon were leagues away from the other three.
 
“Oh!” Kathryn slid her backpack off her shoulders and kneeled down to the floor. “Why didn't I think of this sooner? I'm so stupid!”
 
“Do you hear anyone saying otherwise?” Krissy muttered to Rachel, just loud enough for Kathryn to hear.
 
Kathryn shot Krissy a dirty look before frantically digging around in her bag. After a few minutes, she successfully retrieved ten square boxes from the black hole known as her backpack.
 
“These,” she explained to her friends (figuring they'd ask sooner or later), “are Technical Machines, TMs for short. They're used to teach Pokémon things that they can't learn otherwise or things that would take a while to learn.” She checked the numbers on the sides of the box, pointing and naming each one. “I've got Fire Blast, Thunder, Blizzard, Dig, Rock Smash, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Giga Drain, and Dynamic Punch.” She let out a soft whistle and made a note to thank her mom.
 
“We'll just stand here and nod like we know what you're talking about,” Rachel replied, watching sort of blankly.
 
“You'll see when I battle. Now,” Kathryn released all her Pokémon except Blaze. “Chomper, you're first.”
 
Chomper walked up to her and waited as she selected four of the boxes and opened them over his head. After that, she did one for Nashley, two for Urusaiwan, and one for Surfer. When she was through, she brought out Blaze and asked to borrow Briar from Rachel.
 
Getting them to huddle around her, Kathryn glanced at each one before speaking softly.
 
“Well everyone, this is our first big challenge. There's definitely going to be some strong Pokémon here but we're never going to get stronger if we don't battle. I know we haven't done much or had any trainer battles (at this, Urusaiwan and Chomper cast her a funny look) yet but I want to see what you guys think. Should we do this?”
 
There was a lot of chattering all at once, everyone seemed to be trying to say something but from what she could make of it, they were willing. Motioning for silence, Kathryn waited for them to quiet down.
 
“Who would like to, raise a…” she trailed off. “Um… well, just raise something.”
 
Nashley sat up prettily and waved a paw forward, the first and clearly the most eager. Urusaiwan laid down and for a moment, Kathryn was worried she didn't want to battle but the Meowth lifted her tail ramrod in the air. Chomper hopped and danced and made a fool of himself but got his point across. Spinarak turned a circle, clearly confused as to how he could get his point across before lifting his head up as high as he could. Blaze reared in the air, holding its pose for as long she could before her hooves clicked back on the floor. Briar simply raised a vine, seeming rather smug with itself.
 
“Sweet.” Kathryn put her fist “in” before raising it in the air. “Let's do this!”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^==^.^=
 
 
 
The sign up process didn't take long and Kathryn was quickly ushered into a room. Her friends had been taken through a different entrance and were sitting in bleachers away from the main action. She sent them a wave before checking out the arena, slowly starting to focus.
 
There was a small pond at the center of the arena, a great spot for Water Pokémon to attack from. The rest of the area was flat and plain, apparently a Water and Normal friendly battlefield.
 
A door on the other side swished open and someone walked in before it closed. The darkness shaded him from view for an instant before he stepped into view.
 
He walked forward with confidence but not the swagger that would have marked him as arrogant. He could be her age but she wasn't sure, it was hard to tell and she was bad at guessing. His chestnut hair was shorter than most guys she knew (who had it gelled up and sticking out at funny, pointed angles), curling unruly into many little locks. She couldn't see his eyes from here but she felt them on her and it made her stiffen a little.
 
Calling out to him, she heard her voice echo all around her. “Six on six?”
 
He nodded slowly, watching her still. She reached for her belt, touching over the pokéballs while she waited for the signal to begin…
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^==^.^=
 
 
 
“Who do you think's going to win?” Krissy leaned to prop her elbows on the chair in front of them. She had to say, these chairs were nicer than some of the movie theater ones she'd sat in.
 
“I think he will.”
 
Krissy almost toppled forward. “WHAT?!”
 
“Kathryn only has five Pokémon that are technically hers, most of which have little or no training.” Rachel watched even more intently as the signal for start (a loud bell that reminded her of school) chimed. “Besides, I think he's been at this a lot longer than she has.”
 
“I bet you she wins.”
 
The speedy retort was unexpected and Rachel had to check to make sure Krissy was serious. “How much?”
 
“Five bucks.”
 
“Deal.”
 
Rachel sat back into the plush chair, waiting to see how the battle would play out, a small smile on her face.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^==^.^=
 
 
 
My first Pokemon should be well rounded so I don't have to switch Pokemon right away…
 
Making her choice she pulled out the Pokéball and called out,
 
“My name's Kathryn. Ready?”
 
“Yeah, Kat. Let's go.”
 
She was mildly irritated that he didn't give his name (even more annoyed by his shortening of her own name) but didn't say anything as the both cast out their Pokémon at the same time. Kathryn had gone with Urusaiwan first, her opponent had chosen a Water type of some sort (it had dived into the lake before she could see it).
 
“Water Gun!”
 
A Sedra's head popped out of the water, rapidly attacking with blasts of water at the Meowth, who frantically dodged the blasts (more out of her dislike for water than the damage the attack might do).
 
“Urusaiwan, use Screech!”
 
After evading the initial attack, the feline let out a horrific, banshee shriek that caused Sedra to shiver and decreased his defense.
 
“Agility, Sedra!”
 
“Fury Swipes!”
 
As they both found out (to Kathryn's glee), the pool didn't have much in the way of maneuverability and, while Urusaiwan couldn't (and wouldn't) leap at the Sedra to attack directly, he didn't have room to escape the new move Kathryn had taught Urusaiwan.
 
“Forget Fury Swipes, use Thunder!”
 
Arching her back, the hairs along her body began to tingle and spark, rising in the air. With a loud yowl, a bolt of electricity rose up from her body and took a nosedive into the pond. Soon, an unconscious Sedra appeared.
 
While her challenger returned Sedra, Kathryn congratulated Urusaiwan wholeheartedly before he revealed his next Pokémon, a Gligar.
 
“Fury Swipes!”
 
“Gligar, Harden!”
 
Urusaiwan got in some good swipes before they started having little effect.
 
“Payday!”
 
The charm on Urusaiwan's head gleamed then glowed before pelting Gligar with random assortments of coins. Gligar recovered from his minor wounds while following with the newest order, Sand Attack. Kicking up sand with his wings, the sand flew into Urusaiwan's eyes, making her yowl in pain and anger. She pawed at her eyes frantically before calming herself. She'd had this happen before, after all. Pidgey commonly used it, she just needed to focus. Continuing to paw at her eyes, Urusaiwan listened for her prey. A sudden flap of Gligar's wing was all she needed.
 
Gligar tried to get out of the way but Urusaiwan succeeded in pouncing and sinking her teeth into the softer leather of Gligar's wing. He tried to fly away but couldn't because of the extra weight.
 
“Payday!” Victory for the match was close in coming, she could feel it!
 
“Harden!”
 
The order came too late. At close range, Urusaiwan's Payday was intense. As soon as the attack finished, she dropped the wing and backed away, tears having finally cleared the sand from her eyes. Fur puffed out, she hissed softly as Gligar righted himself, fluttering his Meowth-free wing.
 
He's got maybe one or two attacks left. Out loud, Kathryn cried out. “Finish it, Fury Swipes!”
 
“Guillotine, Gligar!”
 
The two Pokémon clashed and Kathryn must have blinked because the next moment she saw Urusaiwan's claw marks on Gligar's face and Gligar's claw clamped heavily on Urusaiwan. Both toppled over, almost on top of each other, fainting.
 
Returning Urusaiwan, Kathryn made a note to praise her feline for a battle well fought. Deciding her next Pokémon, she threw the ball into the air.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Totodile?” Krissy felt her five dollars slipping away. “Why not Nashley?”
 
“Maybe she wants him to get some battle experience.” Rachel rolled her shoulders. “Who really knows what Kathryn thinks at times?”
 
Both girls were stumped by the other Pokémon he threw out and Rachel pulled out her Pokédex to find out. Aiming the camera, it dinged and clicked.
 
“Sunflora,” the Pokedex bleeped. “The evolved form of Sunkern. Sunflora is the sun Pokemon. In the daylight, it converts sunlight into energy, rushing about in a hectic manner but it comes to a complete stop when the sunsets, closing its petals and becoming still. ”
 
“Grass Pokémon, doesn't look good for Kathryn…”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
Kathryn, meanwhile, appeared surprisingly calm despite the obvious level and type disadvantage.
 
“Chomper…” She weighted the situation carefully in her mind before calling out, “I want you to evade any of its attacks and use Dynamic Punch!”
 
“Sunflora, let's get this over with! Solar Beam!”
 
Sunflora began absorbing light from the artificial bulbs and slowly began to glow. Kathryn cringed at the thought of that attack hitting her poor little Totodile and changed gears. “Chomper, new plan! Up close for a Blizzard!”
 
She thought she saw her opponent's jaw drop but she might have been mistaken. It didn't matter, there was nothing he could do. Sunflora was so wrapped up in absorbing light that it didn't even move when Chomper sent a gust of ice at it. The plant Pokémon squealed and fluttered its leaves in dismay, running this way and that, but didn't faint.
 
His voice drifted crisp and clear over the arena. “Looks like your Totodile isn't at a level high enough to take down my Sunflora.”
 
“Don't underestimate him!” His laugh rankled her and she turned to Chomper, wanting to issue an order but her adversary got to it first.
 
“Solar Beam!”
 
The Pokémon bobbed its overly large head and aimed its face at the Totodile. Chomper made a startled sound just as Sunflora released the energy it had been storing. The attack filled the stadium with light and, for an instant, everyone was blinded. When the spots had finally cleared (and they could see), Totodile was gone.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“He…vaporized Totodile!”
 
Rachel had jumped out of her seat and Krissy had to look up at her now, her friends normally rich complexion a bit on the paler side. She wasn't sure what to say. He couldn't have been vaporized… but where was he?
 
“Hey Rachel, why is there a hole in the ground?”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
Kathryn felt her legs give but quickly stiffened them, less she fall on her face. Chomper had used one of the other TM techniques she'd taught him (Dig) to burrow an escape route under the floor to steer clear of the Solar Beam attack. Now, at any moment…
 
“SUN!!” The Pokémon yelped as the ground beneath it exploded upward, Chomper breaking through the ground to deliver some serious damage.
 
“To-to-todile!” Her Pokémon seemed especially happy with itself (not that she could blame him, it had been very clever).
 
“Great! Now use Ice Punch!”
 
While Sunflora was still a little stunned by Chomper's last attack (and a little drained from the huge release of sun light it had used earlier) Chomper managed to land a solid punch on Sunflora. Ice began to form around the punch and Sunflora's smile was erased by an open-mouthed expression, its leaves frantically flapping as it nearly tripped over its feet in an attempt to back away.
 
“Vine Whip.” The trainer's voice had dropped a notch, becoming rougher. Eyes flicking upward to look at him, Kathryn realized her mistake instantly when she heard Totodile's frantic cry. Ignoring the trainer, she hastily dragged her attention back to the battle.
 
Chomper was entangled in the vines of the angry Sunflora, crying out desperately as it squirmed frantically to get free. She shouted out the first attack that came to mind.
 
“Blizzard!”
 
“Get rid of him!”
 
Sunflora flung the littler Pokémon away but Chomper was able to nimbly spin in the air and send a blast of ice at the Grass Pokémon.
 
“Razor Leaf!”
 
“Water Gun.” Kathryn's hand flew through the air, too caught up in the battle to realize. “Blast the leaves out of the air!” Wisps of her hair were tugging their way out of her confining ponytail and she shook her head, annoyed, before brushing the bothersome strands out of her eyes as Totodile blasted the leaves, knocking most of them out of the air. Some he wasn't able to stop and he cried out when they struck his flesh.
 
“Chomper!”
 
“D-Dile!”
 
He pulled himself up, shouting a loud cry at the Sunflora. It seemed he was still willing to fight!
 
“Another Blizzard!”
 
“Mega Drain.”
 
Totodile's attack hit Sunflora hard but the Grass Pokémon had managed to wrap its vines around Chomper, slowly starting to drain the Water Pokémon's energy into its own body.
 
Kathryn panicked for a moment before the perfect move flitted into her mind. Grinning, she gave him an order that she felt sure to work.
 
“Chomper, Bite!”
 
“Toto!” Filled with resolve, Chomper bit hard on the vine, causing the plant Pokémon to pull at its vine, attempting to jerk it out of Chomper's mouth. Totodile wasn't called the Lockjaw Pokémon for nuthin! No matter how hard Sunflora swung it about, Chomper held tight.
 
“Sunflora, Absorb!”
 
“Release, Chomper! Then, Dynamic Punch!” If Chomper could just wear down the Sunflora a little more, that would be enough…
 
Chomper let go of the vine and the momentum sent him flying towards Sunflora and strengthened his punch. The impact knocked them both to the floor, a trail of dust kicking up behind them as they skidded to a halt. Chomper rose first, haggard and panting. She considered calling him back but he still stood defiant and she didn't have the heart.
 
“Blizzard!”
 
“Razor Leaf!”
 
Sunflora hefted itself up, tilting its head this way and that as it seemed to think over the answer, unable to grasp the command. Sidestepping unintentionally, it released its attack at the same time as Chomper.
 
The Pokémon were too close to each other to evade the attacks and Chomper crumpled after a long, hard battle. Sunflora remained standing but seemed to be in a stupor as it swayed and stumbled, its overly large head bobbing and weaving as though too heavy for its body to support.
 
Returning Chomper, Kathryn's fingers flew over her pokéballs once, twice, and thrice before she picked out the one she wanted and threw it.
 
“Surfer, let's finish what Chomper started! Poison Sting!”
 
“Sunflora, Tackle!”
 
Sunflora glanced around the room, weaving in a distorted manner. It swayed drunkenly towards the Bug Pokémon, tripping before getting anywhere close and causing damage to itself. Spinarak lowered its head, thin, brittle needles of light shooting from its horn to imbed itself in the floundering Sunflora (who gave a weak cry as the needles shattered against its skin). It looked distinctly unhappy as it stood, its petals wilting and its leaves curling and turning sickly brown, sure signs of poisoning.
 
“String Shot!”
 
“Body Slam!”
 
Sunflora wobbled to its feet and cast a puzzled look at its trainer. “Sun…flora?”
 
Surfer took this time to begin spewing strong, sticky thread at the befuddled Grass Pokémon. Promptly, Sunflora was bound and toppled over into a heap, making pathetic whimpers from its cocoon.
 
The trainer withdrew his Pokémon, barely giving Kathryn even a second before releasing-
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
“Scizor,” the Pokédex hummed. “It swings its eye patterned pincers up to scare its foes, making it look like it has three heads. Its wings are not used for flying but rather to flap at high speeds to adjust its body temperature. This Pokémon's pincers, which contain steel, can crush any hard object it gets a hold of into bits.”
 
“How cool!” Krissy liked the look of this Pokémon. It was definitely a tough fighter, one that could battle to the very end if it had to.
 
“Kathryn forced me to watch a documentary about them. Scizor is a Steel and Bug Pokémon that's quick and agile. It can do a few fighting moves too.”
 
Krissy gave a small nod of her head but her real focus was on the Scizor. She could definitely see where having one of those would come in handy. Power and speed, not something many fighters had.
 
“…you can't catch one in the wild though. You have to get a Scyther, I think, and train it, evolving it somehow… I can't remember how. It was weird though, not the normal way.”
 
Sounded difficult… lets see if it would be worth it.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Poison Sting!”
 
“Kiral, Agility!”
 
Surfer's poisoned darts struck the after-shadow of the fast moving Scizor. Though it couldn't be seen, the larger insect's wings made a low buzzing sound, using the extra strength its wings gave to give it even more of a boost.
 
“Quick Attack!”
 
“Surfer, Scary Face!”
 
Kiral suddenly appeared, leaping to smash Surfer with his clubbed hand but Surfer's Scary Face made him falter and left his defense open for an attack.
 
“String Shot, Surfer! Slow him down!”
 
“Spin-spin!”
 
The webbing tangled up Scizor's legs, distracting him. When he reached a pincer to try and cut the sticky mess, Surfer launched a Fury Swipes attack at him. The tiny spider frantically scratched at the larger one's legs with his own, doing very little actual damage. The larger Pokémon raised an eye ridge, kicking out a leg to push the other away.
 
“Giga Drain!” She hoped her Spinarak could hold its ground…
 
Surfer obliged, scurrying up Scizor's leg (despite much kicking and lashing out on the other's part) and firmly secured himself on Kiral's back. Slowly, he began replenishing his energy from the larger insect's.
 
“Kiral, shake that bug off!” If Spinarak kept sucking Scizor's energy the fight would be over far too soon.
 
Scizor frantically tried to reach at Surfer with its claws before using Agility, attempting to force Surfer to lose his grip. Surfer just stuck tighter, absorbing all he could. Without warning, Scizor threw himself backwards, slamming his back into the ground. Surfer had no chance to escape and when Scizor unsteadily pulled himself out of the crater he'd made, the little spider lay still with his legs twitching in the air.
 
Chewing at the inside of her lip, Kathryn returned Surfer and smiled as she sent out Briar.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Why didn't she send out Blaze?” Rachel tried to puzzle this out but couldn't find the logic in Kathryn's thinking. “She could have finished it easily.”
 
“Maybe she didn't want to.” Krissy leaned forward, her focus leaving the battlefield to examine the trainers. Kathryn waved her hand with each command, almost threatening to walk onto the arena herself. The male hardly moved, ridged but for the movement of his lips. When he spoke, his voice boomed over Kathryn's softer tones, thunder over rain.
 
“Why, do you think?”
 
“I don't know,” Krissy snapped.
 
Rachel said nothing else, uncertain how she had earned Krissy's ire.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Briar, Reflect then Tackle!”
 
Briar's defense got a boost as it rushed to land a successful Tackle on Scizor before the Bug Pokémon got a second wind.
 
“Growl, followed by Razor Leaf!” Her hand clenched into a fist, her nails digging unnoticed into her flesh. “Come on!”
 
“Focus Energy!”
 
Briar's Growl and Scizor's Focus Energy canceled each other out. When Briar used Razor Leaf, Scizor managed to avoid the sharp leaves but was soon worn out from the effort.
 
“Finish it!” Kathryn punctuated the order with a sweeping hand motion. “Tackle!”
 
Briar rushed at Kiral. Before the Scizor could raise a claw in his defense, he found himself lying on the ground, unable to get up.
 
“Yes! Go Briar!” Krissy and Rachel cheered, the little leaf Pokémon chortling happily and proudly trotting.
 
“What about me?” Kathryn whined. “Aren't you going to cheer for me?”
 
Krissy and Rachel both avoided her gaze.
 
“Well, thanks.”
 
“Hey.” Kathryn's head jerked back towards her opponent. “Are you going to battle or what?”
 
Annoyed, Kathryn gave a curt nod. He sent out his next choice, a large Victreebel.
 
“Let's go, Bell.”
 
Victreebel gave a battle cry that Briar hastily answered.
 
“Razor Leaf!”
 
“Briar, Vine Whip them away!”
 
After the last leaf fell, the trainer ordered Bell to use Sleep Powder. The Victreebel belched out a great cloud of the stuff but Briar gave one mighty sweep of its leaf to blow it all away.
 
“Vine Whip!”
 
“Do the same right back!”
 
The two Pokémon's vines lashed out, wrapping and twining in a tangled mess. Each pulled at their own vines, trying to topple the other. Briar's small size proved to be his undoing, the much larger one yanking Briar off his feet, sending him into the air with a squeal. Bell retracted his vines leaving Briar to smash into the floor. The little Grass Pokémon staggered up, determination etched on his face. Clearly, the larger Pokémon's size wouldn't daunt him.
 
“Growl!”
 
“Bell, Acid!”
 
“Dodge it!” Her lungs were heaving, her throat growing hoarse. This is what she'd waited for all her life!
 
Briar dodged the black sludge as best he could but some splashed on him, stinging and burning at his skin.
 
“Bell, Body Slam!”
 
The Acid kept Briar too occupied to evade and that last attack did him in. Kathryn pinched her lips together, returning the fainted Pokémon. She hesitated, uncertain as to which of her Pokémon she should send out next.
 
“Two-two.” Kathryn's mind went blank, realizing that the other trainer was finally electing to talk to her. “Not bad.”
 
Kathryn shook her head, disoriented for a moment as she tried to retrace her thoughts. “Yeah, you too.” Sending out Blaze, she hoped the fire pony could stand a chance against Victreebel with such a huge level difference.
 
“Sleep Powder!”
 
“Agility!”
 
Blaze gave a shake of her head before taking off, the dust unable to touch the (literally) flaming fast equine.
 
“Vine Whip, trip it up!”
 
“Get in close, Stomp!”
 
Blaze's faster speed allowed her to get in close to Bell and bring both front hoofs slamming down on the Grass Pokémon. Victreebel gave a furious cry of pain, slightly stunned by the attack.
 
“Good, now Ember!”
 
The pony shook its coat and sent little Embers of flame at Bell. The sting of the Embers brought the plant back to its senses. It shrieked angrily, hurting from the burns it had received. It lashed out, trying to whip Ponyta with its vines as it pulled them back in.
 
“Stomp! Quick!”
 
Just as Bell's vines struck Blaze's hindquarters, Blaze's hoofs came down on the plant, knocking it out. Returning Bell, a grin overtook his features.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Something's wrong.” Rachel spoke softly, just barely loud enough for Krissy to hear. “He must have a really good Pokémon in reserve.”
 
“Why didn't he use that one first?”
 
“Perhaps he wanted his other Pokémon to have a chance?” Rachel gave an exasperated sigh. “How would I know?”
 
“You're suppose to know everything.”
 
“School things, yeah. Pokémon, you'll have to take up with Kathryn.”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Ready?” His voice practically purred, his hand already drawing forth his final Pokémon. It seemed like a bad sign considering she still had two Pokémon to his one.
 
Kathryn gave a slow nod and he sent his last Pokéball flying through the air. When it opened, darkness leaked from it and seemed to dim every light in the room. Slowly, it took form.
 
“Gengar!” She stared, complete surprise on her face. She'd never expected to see one of those on her journey. Once again she took to chewing the inside of her cheek.
 
“Going to forfeit?” He sounded smug and that instantly stiffened her spine.
 
“Come on, Blaze! Take `em down!” Blaze reared half way, whinnying as her flames sparked higher and brighter. “Stomp and Normal attacks won't work, stick to Ember as an attack with Agility, Tail Whip, and Growl for back up.”
 
“Taman,” the trainer barely spoke at all when giving the order. “Nightshade.”
 
“Agility!”
 
Gengar formed dark energy in its hands, eyes glowing a faint magenta as he blasted it at Blaze, or, rather, where Blaze had stood.
 
“Use Growl, don't let it hit you!”
 
Taman followed Blaze's movements with the dark orbs, blowing up chunks of the ground when they hit, but unsuccessfully hitting the Ponyta. The growling also seemed to be making Gengar nervous, it's attacks began to weaken and hardly do any damage.
 
“Tail Whip!”
 
Blaze slowed down when she neared Gengar, waving her tail in the Ghost's face. Taman fell back, startled. His defense went down greatly.
 
“Lick.”
 
“Turn up the heat, Blaze!”
 
Taman's tongue was a few inches from the equine when Blaze lived up to her name. Her mane and tail increased in size and the heat sent off could be felt by both trainers. Needless to say, Taman's tongue received a nasty burn.
 
“Garrrr!” The Gengar wailed in pain, trying to use its hands to cool its scorched tongue.
 
“While it's standing still, use Confuse Ray!”
 
Gengar's eyes glowed white. Blaze pulled away, stumbling.
 
“Shake it off Blaze, use Ember!”
 
Blaze seemed to have come to her senses but stumbled slightly after her Ember attack hit the Ghost.
 
“Finish it, Nightshade.”
 
Kathryn shouted. “Agility!”
 
Blaze looked around and ran. Unfortunately, she ran right for Gengar. The Ghost Pokémon gave a wide grin, powering up a blast and sending the energy right at Blaze's chest. The fire pony tripped when it was struck and fell through Taman, trying to rise once before fainting.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“One-one.” Krissy licked her lips, wishing she had a pair of binoculars. She inched further on her seat, taking in every aspect of the battle. Watching Kathryn fight against a trainer was definitely more interesting than she'd originally thought.
 
“Wanna change your bet?”
 
Krissy made a sound. “You wish.”
 
Rachel's perplexed tones reached her ears. “Why not?”
 
“A cornered Pikachu will put up the fight of its life.”
 
Rachel gave a small shake of her head. “Sometimes I think you're weirder than Kathryn.”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
Returning Blaze, Kathryn reached for her last pokéball.
 
“It's all up to you, Nashley,” she murmured softly, tossing it out onto the field.
 
Nashley appeared, fur bristling as she stared down the Gengar.
 
“Smog!”
 
“Hypnosis, Taman!”
 
Nashley opened her mouth wide, Smog belching forth in dark clouds to fill the arena. Gengar's hypnotic gaze couldn't penetrate the thick fog.
 
“Faint Attack!”
 
“Taman, try to get rid of the fog!”
 
Gengar took a deep breath and let it out, blowing the Smog away but Nashley was nowhere to be seen. The Ghost Pokémon glanced around once before being plowed down, Nashley re-emerging a moment later.
 
“Nightshade!”
 
“Nashley, evade it and use Fire Blast!”
 
Gengar's energy blast nicked Nashley's side as it passed her but did little harm, as weak as it was from Blaze's Growling. Her attack, however, proved much more fruitful. The flames hit Taman hard, knocking it down with a cry.
 
“Taman, Curse!”
 
“Gaaarrrr!”
 
“Oh poop.”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Curse.” The Pokédex clanged. “An attack that cuts the users energy in half to place a curse on its opponent. The curse will slowly drain the energy of the Pokémon it was cast on. If the Pokémon casting Curse doesn't have enough energy to pay the cost, it will faint in the attempt to cast it.”
 
“A desperation move.” Krissy hummed. This Ghost Pokémon was interesting but she'd much prefer a solid, Fighting Pokémon.
 
“I think he realizes that Nashley and his Pokémon are on the same level so he's trying to pull out all the stops now.” Rachel replied.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Nashley! Make him faint before you do, Fire Blast!”
 
Nashley opened her mouth, flames gathering into a spinning orb before erupting outward.
 
“Taman, Destiny Bond!”
 
“Shoot!”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Destiny Bond,” the Pokédex whirled. “If the user of the attack faints, so does the attacking Pokémon that the spell is cast on.”
 
“So, if Gengar faints…”
 
“Nashley's going to faint too.” Krissy could feel her money slipping away and bitterly went on, “either he's going to win or it'll be a draw.”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“Nashley.” Kathryn kept her voice soft, knowing the growling Pokémon could hear her by the flicking of the Houndour's ears. “We have a slim chance but it means you might be fainting as well. I'm glad we got as far as we did, if you want to go on, it's your call.” She watched her Houndour intently before saying loud enough for everyone to hear. “Do you want me to forfeit?”
 
Nashley gave a sharp bark, hackles raised as she gnashed her teeth together. Her sight was solely on her opponent, ready to take him down. Flames flickered around her mouth, curling like wisps of smoke around her muzzle.
 
“Alright Nashley.” Kathryn gestured with her hand towards Gengar, yelling. “Fire Blast, Full Power!
 
Nashley's mouth opened wide, her eyes gleaming red as cobalt-emerald flames burst out of her mouth. The flames melted the floor on their way towards, a nasty burnt plastic scent wafting in the air. The Ghost Pokémon never had a chance. His screams resounded as the fire hit, his arms desperately trying to wave them away to no avail. As soon as he fell, Nashley's eyes went white and she collapsed, her fire attack dying out before she dropped. Kathryn ran onto the arena, kneeling before Nashley's fallen form. She put her hand on her companion's side, checking for injuries. Nashley lifted her head scantly an inch from the ground, offered a weak growl, then completely fainted dead away.
 
“Good girl,” Kathryn soothed, stroking her pet once before returning Nashley (Mean Look having no effect any longer due to Nashley fainting). She then turned her attention toward where Rachel and Krissy were.
 
“Hey, I'm going to get my Pokémon healed.” She waved. “I'll meet up with you guys at the Center!” Kathryn started to head out but a hand on her wrist prevented her from leaving.
 
“Aren't you even going to shake hands?”
 
There was a trace of laughter in his voice and Kathryn prepared to let loose with several of her own “vocal” attacks but the words caught in her throat when she went to face him. Her eyes met his dead on and were held, as was her breath. He had extraordinary eyes, the color of chocolate flecked with gold. She forgot all about pulling her hand away, about the words that she'd been about to say.
 
“Kat?”
 
Her face flushed when she realized the laugh was still in his voice and she tugged her hand out of his grip but he caught her fingertips, giving her hand a light shake.
 
“That wasn't so hard, was it?”
 
She gave one more yank and retrieved her hand, quickly leaving for the Center, ignoring his voice as he called after her,
 
“Hey, wait up!”
 
She was gone, the doors slamming shut after her. The beginning of a smile tipped at the corners of his mouth as he followed after her at his own leisurely pace. After all, it wasn't as though he didn't know where she was.
 
Meanwhile, Rachel and Krissy were discussing the winner of the bet.
 
“It was a tie,” Rachel argued.
 
“But Nashley made Gengar faint first!”
 
“By League standards, it was a tie! All their Pokémon fainted, therefore, it's a tie.” Rachel gave a firm nod, not willing to give in.
 
Needless to say, the argument went on for quite a time.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
Kathryn sipped her orange juice through her straw, staring intently at the perspiration drops on the glass as they trailed unto the table. Krissy and Rachel were taking their sweet time and she really didn't know what to do in the meantime. Laying her head on the table, she continued to watch the water droplets without much enthusiasm.
 
“There you are, Kat.”
 
She'd barely lifted her head up when the trainer from before slid into the seat across from her. Indignation flared inside her, he could have at least asked!
 
“You left so fast, I thought you didn't like me or something.”
 
Humph. Or something.
 
She didn't say anything, just stared at him, narrowing her eyes purposefully so he'd take the hint. Rather than leave, he leaned back against the seat and made himself at home.
 
“How long have you been traveling then? A month?”
 
“Less,” she gritted out.
 
He gave a nod, his curls moving slightly with the bob of his head. “Been a few months for me, looks like I still have some work to do.” He grinned at her but it slowly faded. “Hey, what's wrong?”
 
“Nothing.” She replied rather curtly, turning her head to look away.
 
“Something is.”
 
“No, nothing.” She pinned him with her gaze.
 
He was silent. “Are you sure?” he ventured slowly.
 
She stood up quickly, arms pinned at her sides. “Nothing means nothing, alright!” She made her way out of the booth, abandoning her half finished juice, but he followed after her.
 
“Hey, whatever I said, I'm sorry.”
 
She continued on without hearing him, making her way to the rooms she and her friends had been assigned to for the night. The corridor was void of people and Pokémon, most having already left the Center for the day.
 
“Look, Kat…”
 
She swiveled to face him, her voice cracking as she shouted, “You don't have any right to call me that!”
 
He took a step back as she took one forward, tears forming as she thrust her index finger at him, continuing on. “I don't know who you are but you're not him so don't even try to call me that!” She took in a breath, drawing herself to her full but meager height (he was almost a half head taller). “You have no right to be so formal! You haven't even offered your name yet!”
 
“Brandon,” he offered meekly, taking yet another step back. “Brandon, from Sugar Cane Valley, South of Safari Zone.”
 
“Nice to know nooow,” Kathryn drew out sarcastically. “Why couldn't you have said that in the first place?”
 
“You didn't ask!” He protested, trying to dig himself out of the proverbial “hole” he was in. “I thought you were being snide!”
 
“That still gives you no right to call me that.”
 
“Alright, I take it back!” He rose his hands up in the international sign for surrender. “I'm sorry, okay?”
 
Kathryn drew in a shuddery breath. He couldn't know what the name meant to her, the memories that were brought up with fresh feelings of pain instead of joy. There were very few who called her “Kat,” and only one used it so freely.
 
She pulled off her glasses, wiping frantically at the tears that marked her face, new ones forming despite her best efforts. When his hand touched her shoulder, she'd almost completely forgotten his existence.
 
“Hey, you've had a long day. Why don't we get you to your room? Would you like a new glass of juice?”
 
She shook her head, sniffling, irritated to find that one of her nostrils had already clogged up with snot. “I'm fine,” she mumbled, rational enough to be ashamed by her behavior.
 
“Come on.” He put his arm around her shoulder and gently led her along. “Which one's your room?”
 
“One-twenty-six.”
 
She sniffled every once in a while but didn't speak and the trainer, Brandon, chose not to say anything either. When they got to the room, she pulled out her key and plunged it into the lock but he opened the door for her.
 
“When do you think your friends will be back?” he finally asked.
 
“Don't know.” She went to sit on the bed, rubbing at her face with the back of her hand. “Soon, I guess.”
 
“Do you want me to stay and wait with you?”
 
She wanted to say “no.” She didn't know him and her mother's words of caution of strange men rang in her ears but he spoke kindly to her and she gave a small nod before dragging her backpack from under her bed. She opened the top and retrieved her stuffed Teddiursa, hugging the worn thing tightly to her chest.
 
He was kind enough not to comment.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
Rachel and Krissy simultaneously sneezed and abruptly their argument ended as they looked around. They'd been so busy “discussing” that they hadn't noticed Kathryn's departure. They rushed out in a hurry, each a little steamed that Kathryn had left them behind.
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
“So…” Kathryn spoke first, cautiously from behind her stuffed Teddiursa. “Where are you headed next?”
 
“I'm not sure, I might head towards Pallet or stay here for a while.” He shifted uncomfortable in the plastic dining chair, the only chair the room had to offer. “I just pick a direction and go with the flow of things.”
 
She digested this information slowly. It was hard to imagine traveling alone. Still, the idea of just going sounded very appealing. She couldn't get lost if she didn't know where she was headed! (Wait, wasn't that the same thing?)
 
“What's Sugar Cane like?”
 
“The Valley?” He gave a casual roll of his shoulders. “S'alright. The people can be jerks though. They're stuck in their ways and don't like change much.” He offered a query of his own. “What's your hometown like?”
 
“Petal Brook's nice. People don't live very close together so there's lots of room. We had a creek in the back, that was nice, cept for when the Houndours got in it.” She made a face. “They'd always come home dripping in mud. It smelled like they were playing with a Grimer.”
 
He laughed, a deep sound like Bare's barks. “And your friends? Same?”
 
“Nah. Ever hear of Cedar Pine?”
 
“Nope. What's it like?”
 
“Too many people.” She shook her head disdainfully. “Lots of big buildings, business, and other unnecessary things. I don't know why they even bother calling it Cedar Pine, there aren't any trees there, Cedar, Pine, or other.”
 
He gave a wide, open grin. “Country gal through and through, aren't ya?”
 
“Yup.” She stated this proudly, answering with her own grin. “Wide open spaces, scents of fresh grass and the tell tale signs of rain.” She shook her head. “Paradise.” There was a pause as her nose wrinkled. “Cept the grass. I hated cutting the grass.” This time her headshake was much more emphasized.
 
“Still, it sounds like you loved living there.”
 
It was odd, being so far away from it, she found she really did miss it. “Yeah, I guess I did.”
 
It looked as though Brandon was going to say more but he never got a chance. The door banged open, making Kathryn jump from her spot on the bed as an enraged Krissy stormed in, clouds practically visible, sparking lightening bolts over her head.
 
“Kathryn!” The other girl frantically tried to find a spot to hide but Krissy had already spotted her. Towering over Kathryn, Krissy's eyes practically shot out flames. “Why didn't you tell us you were leaving?”
 
“I did,” Kathryn squeaked, scooting further unto the bed and out of “Krissy Kill Zone.”
 
“Why didn't you say it louder?
 
“Looks like she wanted to talk to her boyfriend.” Rachel's smug tone made Krissy's attention waver from her prey, diverting the need for bloodshed temporarily. Rachel, being more rational minded, had spotted Brandon upon entering (unlike Krissy who had tunnel vision when enraged).
 
“Oh no, don't bring me into this,” Brandon said at the same time that Kathryn blurted out, “He's not my boyfriend!”
 
“She's blushing!” Rachel's voice took on a sing-song tone.
 
“Am not!” Kathryn protested, despite the flaming sensation she felt behind her cheeks.
 
“Why don't we leave these two alone for a while?” Rachel suggested, moving to playfully elbow Krissy who replied with a grin.
 
“Why don't you stay?” Kathryn's voice was a little too sweet. “I was just going to show Brandon my Spinarak.”
 
Krissy and Rachel couldn't get out of the room fast enough.
 
“I didn't think you got your Pokémon back yet,” Brandon said, uncertain if he'd missed something.
 
“I didn't,” Kathryn replied cheerfully. “But they didn't need to know that.”
 
 
 
=^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^==^.^= =^.^=
 
 
 
Brandon hung around a for a short time, the two talking about light hearted things. Home, family, Pokémon, and other simple things. He left afterwards, needing to retrieve his Pokémon from Nurse Joy. Kathryn remained on the bed, cuddling her Teddiursa till Rachel and Krissy returned.
 
“Looks like your date went home,” Rachel ribbed.
 
Kathryn reached for a Pokéball, Nurse Joy having delivered her Pokémon to her room, and tossed it haphazardly to Rachel. Rachel fumbled to catch it, not wanting the Spinarak to appear.
 
“Thanks for letting me use Briar, Rach.” With a mock salute, Kathryn laughed.