Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ One and Only ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
Author's note: This anime isn't mine. This story's going to be long. I love Hayate.
 
Shin and Shannon grabbed hands and held them up. “Biyandios!” Vines spread from the two knights and enveloped the battleground, protecting the outside world from it.
“Kim, go to the other side of the larvae and spray it with ice from there, while I do the same on this side!” Mannen shouted to his buddy. “It'll make it slower faster… I mean, uh… slower quicker… or… NEVER MIND!!! You get it!”
Kim flew to the other side, just as he said, blasting it with ice, as well as did Mannen. The demon larvae responded with attacks of it's own. It shot out vines that wrapped around the two kids and tightened. Both cried out, getting louder in desperation when the vines shot electricity through them.
The vines snapped and came from around them, falling to the ground when sound waves cut them in half. Mannen and Kim looked around and found the Sound Knights teamed up against the beast, and had been close to the two kids. Both smiled at the Ice Knights, and then got back to their fighting.
Fire enveloped the demon larvae, turning vines and tentacles into ash on the ground. Go grinned at how well it was going, knowing that this had to be the easiest fight ever. The Demon Larvae was getting weaker, even without the Pretears there. He threw a few more fireballs at it, hearing its cries of pain like music to his ears.
“Watch out, Go!” cried his partner. His grin wiped away when he saw that the demon larvae had shot out spears at him and they were coming in to the kill quick. He didn't have time to block it or even counterattack it. All he could do was brace himself for the pain.
But the pain didn't come. When they were right at his face, they suddenly burst into flames. Go blinked in confusion, knowing that he didn't do that. The only person who could have was…
He looked towards his partner, who was smiling at him. “Keep your eyes open and you'll do much better!!!”
He smirked, but felt a little sting to his pride. “I'll remember that!”
The demon larvae was shooting out vines and spears left and right, but all of them were being shot by rays of light, sound waves, ice daggers, water spikes, or fireballs. The battle was going easily and everyone was fighting wonderfully. With the Pretears nowhere in sight, this might be the first battle they've won without the Pretears.
The demon larvae let out a loud cry, and seemed to be collapsing. The knights stopped attacking it, but kept up their guard. Still, Go stole a glance at Ashlee and grinned as a victory. She returned it, but turned back to the enemy, still on guard. All eyes watched it carefully. It let out another roar and then collapsed fully to the ground.
Sighs of relief went through the knights and laughter from Hannah, Hajime, Shin, and Shannon could be heard through the air. Ashlee and Go exchanged high fives, while Mannen and Kim looked at each other, and then quickly looked away snobbishly.
“Wait! It's not over!” shouted Sesame. Rumbling came from the demon larvae, and everyone stopped their victory dances, turning to watch in horror as it began its transformation. Plates of armor grew over its flesh and its size doubled. Spikes shot out from its body in all directions, and the knights scrambled to dodge them and shoot them.
Vines and tentacles thrashed around wildly, trying to find a prey to attack. One shot out directly towards Mannen, who held out his hand to freeze it. But it was suddenly was sliced in half before it reached him. He turned in surprise to see his partner with an ice sword, wiping sweat from her brow. He scowled at her, and she replied with a smirk and a wink. He turned with the same angry look, but no one noticed the blush that spread across his face.
Vines shot out and grabbed the Fire Knights with a death grip and shot electricity to their bodies. Both cried out in desperation and pain, struggling to get free. Sesame tried to come to their aid, but was shot in the arm by a spear, tearing a gash in his sleeve and arm.
“Sesame!” Bethany shouted, rushing to his side. She shot a vine that was coming for the kill. “Are you alright?”
“I'll be fine! Help Ashlee and Go!” he shouted. But neither went anywhere, when tentacles wrapped around them, too, putting them in the same place as the fire knights.
“Dammit!” Go growled. “Where are Himeno and Brian?”
“I don't know…” Ashlee gasped out, loosing strength quickly.
“Hold on, Ashlee!” Go shouted out. He looked around desperately, and found that all the knights were in the same predicament as them. “Dammit!”
Ashlee cried out in pain when the creature squeezed her harder.
“Ashlee!” Go cried. No! Not now! There was no way his partner could get this hurt on her first battle! He felt like he was failing her.
Suddenly, the vine around her snapped and loosened from around her, falling to the ground. She weakly closed her eyes and followed the vines. Go's vines snapped, too, and he swiftly flew to catch her before she hit the ground. Himeno rushed to his side. He assumed that she was the one who cut their vines.
“Is she okay?” she asked softly.
“I… I don't know,” Go said, shaking the girl a little. He put his fingers beneath her neck, felt a pulse, and breathed a sigh of relief. “She's just knocked out. Go help the others.”
“Himeno,” Hayate's voice radiated inside of her.
“Yes?”
“This one's going to be tougher than the rest. It's got armor on it. It'll be harder to get to the core. You and Brian have to combine powers to penetrate the outer shell.”
She nodded in understanding. She flew over to Brian, who had cut the others free, and relayed the message. He looked at the demon larvae in determination, Himeno doing the same. At the same time, they found the core of the demon larvae in its forehead. They looked at each other and quickly developed a plan.
Himeno flew to one side of the creature's head, while Brian went to the other side. They both shot windblasts at the center of the forehead, making two direct hits. They watched in satisfaction as the shell shattered and the demon larvae roared in pain, beginning to disintegrate.
As soon as the creature disappeared, Shin and Shannon retracted the vines, and all was in order again.
“Ashlee!” Elora shouted, seeing her fallen comrade. Everyone rushed around, each with wounds of their own, some serious and some not. Go held her propped up, and she opened her eyes a little.
“Dang it,” she laughed weakly. “Missed the action.”
“No,” Himeno said with a smile. “You got the bulk of it.” Hayate and Mary retracted their powers from the Pretears and formed next to them. Soon, the Pretears and Wind Knights were aiding everyone with their wounds, and all were headed for the house again to head to bed.
They had their first day of school the next day.
 
 
“So I don't have to wear a uniform?” Himeno asked the next morning, eating breakfast with the rest.
“That's right,” Mary answered with a grin. She had punk clothes on, all of them black. “It's the freedom of America, baby.”
“Which gets on my nerves sometimes with how many cheerleaders wear miniskirts at school,” Elora grumbled, stabbing her eggs with her fork. “Have half of the guys staring at their asses… bugs the hell out of me.”
“Miniskirts you say?” Go said, his ears perking up and a mischievous grin on his face. “Well, I'm liking America already!”
A hand flew out of nowhere and hit him on the back of his head, and all eyes turned to Ashlee, who was sitting next to him, not looking amused. “Pervert. If your eyes are going to be looking down, keep them looking at the ground.”
Go grumbled as he rubbed the back of his head in pain. He sighed and looked at Brian. “So when do I start looking for a job?”
“This afternoon,” he answered, rinsing out his cereal bowl. “We'll take you to a few restaurants and fill out a few resumes. You should have a job in no time. I know a lot of places that are hiring.” He looked at Hayate and said, “As for you, I hear the high school is paying for a groundskeeper after school and on weekends. You might want to look into that.” Hayate smiled and nodded.
“Thanks for the info.”
Brain turned to Himeno and said, “What do you feel about little kids?”
Himeno brightened up a bit and said, “Oh, I just can't get enough of them!”
“Good,” Brian said, giving her a piece of paper with an address and a phone number. “This is a day care agency. They're hiring teens to help out at $6.50 an hour. What do you say?”
Himeno looked up from the paper in her hands and smiled at him. “When do I start?”