Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ One and Only ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14
 
Author's note: We're here with Mannen, the Ice Knight of the story. Hey, Mannen.
 
Mannen: Yo. *does double-take at author* Wait a second… Aren't you that one chick in the story… the one with the kitty ears?
 
Me: Yup. Glad you recognized me.
 
Mannen: So you're the girl and the author…
 
Me: Yeah…
 
Mannen: Kei was right. You do need a life.
 
Me: I'll kick your ass later. This anime doesn't belong to me.
 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
“Behind you!”
Brian threw his hand behind his back and blasted the oncoming ice spear with a fireball. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a light beam headed towards him. He quickly twisted his back and watched the beam fly by him, heading harmlessly into the atmosphere.
“Good job,” Ashlee's voice resonated inside of him. “But we're not done yet.”
Suddenly, he saw all the knights around him, all prepared to attack. He bit his lower lip and scowled, getting into position. All at once, every Leafe Knight fired off their power. Brian ducked to the left, allowing Go's fireballs to run into Mannen and Kim's ice blasts. He jumped up high into the air, dodging a wind gust from Hayate and Mary, while sound waves from Sesame and Bethany crashed into each other, making an explosion.
After the dust settled from the blast, Brian heard clapping from down on the ground. He looked away from the group of knights and saw Mawata, Takako, Himeno, Shin, Hajime, Hannah, and Shannon standing there with smiles on their faces. He swooped down to the ground and smiled back.
“How'd I do, Ashlee?”
“I think their clapping says it all,” her voice echoed inside of him with laughter. He felt the power leave him, and she formed next to him. She smiled at him, and punched him in the arm playfully.
“You were just fishing for complements, weren't you?” she asked.
“Maybe,” he replied, rubbing his arm with a half grin.
The rest of the group joined them, all telling him great things about his performance, and things he had to improve on. However, he was barely paying attention. He noticed that Ashlee had gone quiet since the rest had joined them. He also noticed that she seemed to be edging away from Go, the Japanese fire Leave Knight.
After a while, he snapped back into the present and waited for everyone to quiet down. “Alright guys. I think it's time we go back inside now. Hayate, Himeno. If I'm not mistaken… you guys have a date tonight, don't you?”
Hayate looked away, but everyone noticed the hint of red that was coming to his face. Himeno's face turned equally as red and she laughed nervously.
“Yeah, we're going to a movie tonight,” she said.
“I thought you were going Friday,” Ashlee commented.
“We thought it would be best to go tonight. They're showing a good movie, and there's a restaurant that shouldn't be busy since it's a weeknight,” Hayate answered. He made a casual shift of his feet and was suddenly right behind Himeno. He slid his hand around hers and whispered something in her ear.
“We'll see you guys later,” Himeno said. “We've got some things to do first.”
Everyone said their goodbyes as the two left. As they left, everyone started heading for the house. Brian casually made his way to Ashlee, who was still looking quite pissed. He nudged her, and she looked up at him.
“What's wrong, Pyro?” he asked. She looked ahead of her, the same angry look in her eyes. She shrugged. “Because you look like you're about to set something on fire, and I'd prefer it not to be on my lawn.”
It was a pathetic attempt for humor, but she let out a small smile and a roll of her eyes. He smiled back, but soon his expression soon became serious. He leaned closer and lowered his voice.
“Seriously, Ashlee, what's wrong?” he asked. When she didn't say anything, he continued his assumptions. “It seems to me that it might have something to do with the fire knight over there. Is that true?”
She shot a glare at him and said, “It would be wise of you not to irritate cats with fire powers.”
“I'm just trying to be helpful,” he defended. She sighed and looked away. “If you don't want to talk about it and be a sour puss, then be that way. But don't take it out on me, on the people in this house… or on my lawn, okay?”
She looked at him in surprise, expecting to see him with an angry expression, but instead saw a teasing smile. She forced a smile, but her face soon became melancholy. She sighed.
“The truth is…” she said gently. “Well, you've seen me and Go. He's a nice guy, and I think I like him.”
“So what's the problem?” he asked.
She looked at him with hurt in her eyes. “I can't do it. I can't go back to that. He's a guy, and guys have had a history of being bad news in my life. Plus, he's probably going to go back to Japan and not even give me another thought. I've been hurt too many times before, and I can't do it again. So it's best for me to stay away from him.”
She looked away, and he could see that she was in deep torment. He wished he could offer his condolences, but this was something he couldn't tread in. He couldn't interfere with this. They'd just have to let things take its course this time.
So, he said nothing. He gently put his arm around her and they walked back to the house in silence.
 
 
“Two tickets to Murderer's Scream, please,” Hayate said, pulling out his wallet with the American money he had just gotten from his new bank account. The lady gave him his tickets and he gave her the $10 under the glass. As he and Himeno walked away and into the theater, he let out a sigh. She looked up at him.
“Why are we watching this?” he asked, looking at his tickets. “I see enough horror every day when I wake up and see Kei's bed head.”
“We're seeing it because it'll be fun,” Himeno said, slipping her arm through his. And throwing my arms around you during a scary part will make it even more fun, she thought to herself, a grin sliding across her face. He looked down at her and sighed again.
She looked up and smiled at him innocently. When he looked back ahead of them, she grinned evilly. Oh yes. Soon, we won't even be watching the movie. And then I'll have you in my clutches, my dear.
They walked into the theater, looking around the practically empty room. Himeno could have laughed in joy. It was perfect. It was purely perfect. There was no way this could go wrong. She was in complete control, and Hayate didn't even know it yet.
She felt him gently tugging her to the middle of the theater, and panic suddenly coursed through her. She immediately stopped him, and he looked back at her.
“No,” she said with a nervous laugh. “Let's go to the back. The VERY back.”
“Why…?” he asked, giving her a suspicious look. Uh-oh. That wouldn't do.
“Well, you see, my eyes start to hurt if we're too close to the screen. The farther away we are, the less my eyes would hurt,” she explained calmly and coolly. Oh yeah. Good job. That was a great lie.
He sighed and followed her. As she led him to the back of the theater, she began to feel giddy. Yes, this would be a fulfilling trip indeed.