Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ One and Only ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20
 
Author's note: *gasp* Bethany's turned evil! Oh, no! How will we go on? What do you think, Bethany?
 
Bethany: Why'd you make me evil?
 
Me: Makes the story more interesting.
 
Bethany: *grumbles* I'm not evil.
 
Me: In the story, sure you are! ^_^
 
Bethany: *glares with fire in eyes* Make me good again, or I'll rip out your intestines.
 
Me:…
You're really proving your point, aren't you there, dear?
 
Bethany: What's that supposed to mean???
 
Me: Nothing. Onto our story!
 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
Kei opened the door to the computer room and stepped inside. He stopped when he saw Elora at the computer, her arms crossed on the desk with her head resting on them as she slept. He smiled wryly. She must have fallen asleep while she was up on the computer last night.
He stepped behind her and looked at the screen. His smile faded as he saw what was on it. The screen contained a map of the Washington D.C. area that was colored green, with the exception of a few small red spots. It was a negative energy censor. He would bet that she was looking for the location of the Prince of Disaster and Bethany.
He sighed and looked down at her. Her brow was furrowed and her breathing was heavy. She had a big burden on her shoulders now. Since Bethany was gone, she was going to try everything in her power to find her and bring her back. They were friends. They had lived in the same house for a long time. It was hard not to want to go after her friend.
He didn't know why he did it. Maybe it was out of compassion for her. Maybe she just looked so sweet there, her pale skin illuminated by the light of the computer monitor. But for whatever reason, he leaned down, gently touched her soft cheek, and pressed a kiss to her forehead. She stirred a little, and he felt his heart jump.
However, she just readjusted the position of her head and went back to sleeping. He smiled, his heart going back to its normal rate. He slowly knelt down and scooped her into his arms. He noticed how light she was as he carried her down the hall and into her room. When he laid her on her bed, he covered her with the sheets and kissed her again on the forehead.
He went out of the room and closed the door behind him, not noticing the pair of joyful eyes that were peeking at him from another bed in the room.
 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
“Guys, you aren't going to school today,” Brian announced at breakfast. Everyone looked up from their bowls of cereal and plates of toast to see Brian standing next to Kei, looking at everyone seriously.
“Alright!” Mannen cheered, and he and Kim exchanged high-fives. But when they noticed that no one else was cheering, and Brian and Kei were looking at them with stern expressions, they sunk back.
“Early this morning, Kei found what we believe to be the place where Drake and Bethany are,” Brian explained. “We're all taking off from our normal duties to explore this. It's about thirty minutes away, even if we fly there. So everyone: get ready. This is going to be one wild ride.”
Everyone exchanged anxious looks. Himeno looked up at Brian and said, “Do you think everyone's ready?”
“Most certainly not,” Brian said, shaking his head. “But I don't think we're ever going to be ready. How can one prepare for something like this? So, whether we're ready or not, it's time for us to go.”
With that, he turned on his heal and said over his shoulder as he walked out of the room, “Finish your breakfast and meet in the living room. We need to get started right away.”
No one had much of an appetite after that.
 
“We're going to split up into groups,” Sasame announced. “Each person needs to be with their partner. Goh and Ashlee, Kei and Elora, Mannen and Kim, Hajime and Hannah, and Shin and Shannon all need to be together. Meanwhile, Hayate and Mary will Pret with Himeno and Brian. I'll be going with them. We'll all survey the area. If anyone finds anything, let us know. Be prepared for anything.”
Everyone transformed, and the Pretears were soon empowered with the Wind Knights. They all took off towards the dark area that Brian had told them about, and none of them were ready for what was to come.
 
 
“Guys, I think I found it!” Elora's voice radiated to everyone. “Man, is this ugly!”
“Where are you, Elora?” Himeno asked, her heart beating wildly in her chest.
“I'm a little to the north of the hospital,” she answered. “After that, you can't miss it unless you're blind.”
“Alright, I'm on my way,” Himeno said, flying fast towards the direction Elora indicated. “Goh, Mannen, Hajime, Shin! What about you guys?”
“On our way!” Mannen and Hajime chimed in.
“We're on it,” Goh said.
“Coming!” Shin's voice radiated.
Himeno and Brian scanned the area, and soon found out what Elora was talking about. They suddenly laid their eyes on a large, black tree; it's trunk wide and roots long. Where the roots extended, so did the darkness. That HAD to be it.
“Elora, I think we've found it,” Himeno said, breathless. It looked exactly like the tree of Fenril. Could it be…?
“Hayate!” Himeno said. “I thought we killed the tree of Fenril!”
“Not exactly,” he said from inside her. “No one can actually KILL the tree. Whenever one's heart is filled with enough darkness, the tree will come alive. But that usually involves someone… dieing. If there are only two people: Bethany and Drake…”
Suddenly Himeno's heart lurched. Someone had died? She hoped against hope that it wasn't Bethany.
“Technically, they don't die,” Hayate said.
“But you just said…”
“No, I meant they die spiritually,” he corrected. “They're technically alive, if you want to call it living, but they… ARE the tree.”
Himeno felt a sense of dread course through her as she flew swiftly to the tree. This was not going to be pretty.