Pretty Sammy Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ When Two Worlds Collide ❯ Awakening to A New World ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

When Two Worlds Collide
Chapter 1: Awakening to A New World
Story Idea By: Sailor Star Moon
Co-Written By: Steve R.

Ayeka, Ryoko and Mihoshi had quickly gathered in Washu's extra-dimensional laboratory. Their pint-sized 'resident scientist' was busily examining the two latest arrivals to the Masaki household--a small, blue-haired girl and a tiny, brown-furred cabbit, who seemed to be exact duplicates of Ayeka's little sister and her pet! The pair now lay side-by-side, sound asleep, on a pair of examination tables, while Washu's devices ran every test she could think of.

"It's incredible!" Mihoshi whispered, while she checked the child over for any possible injuries. "She looks just like you, Sasami!"

Sasami herself stood next to her elder sister, staring at the child on the exam table, unable to take her eyes off of this other version of...herself! "It's like I'm looking in a mirror...and my reflection just came to life! Is...is she going to be all right?" Sasami asked anxiously.

"Hush, Sasami!" Ayeka tried to reassure her sister. "Washu and Mihoshi know what they're doing...Well, Washu should, anyway. Let them do their work."

"Patience, little one. I'm almost finished."

"Washu?" Mihoshi called out. "She doesn't seem to be seriously hurt."

"Good!" Washu replied as she worked on her computer. Her fingers danced over the keyboard as twin scanners ran over the sleeping forms of Sammy and Ryo-Oki. "I'm finding nothing wrong inside, either." Washu studied her computer's display screens as a pair of DNA patterns appeared. "Hmmmmm." The small redhead frowned for a few moments, and then clapped her hands. Her computer keyboard instantly vanished, disappearing back into the same dimensional pocket she had originally retrieved it from. "Well, I'm done! Mihoshi? Clean them up as best you can, and let them sleep. They'll wake up on their own, when they're ready."

"Sure thing, Washu!" The new arrivals had been found after what seemed to be a hard landing in the nearby carrot patch. The tall, tan blonde smiled as she bent over Sammy with a damp washcloth, and began to clean her smudged face. Taking a moment to caress the child's hair, Mihoshi thought, 'It's the same color as Sasami's...It even feels the same!'

"Well, Miss Washu? What can you tell us? Who is this Sasami look alike?"

Washu stared at the others for a moment, sighed, and confessed. "I really don't know, Ayeka."

"You...don't know?!?" Ryoko couldn't help smirking. "The self-proclaimed 'greatest mind in the universe' actually doesn't know?" The blue-haired demoness loved to tease, and Washu was one her favorite targets...next to Ayeka and Tenchi, of course.

Washu, however, proved ready for the occasion. "They say there's a first time for everything...daughter!" the redhead needled. "Like you calling me, 'Mother,' for instance..."

"IN YOUR DREAMS!!!" Ryoko snarled. She hated to admit that Washu had anything to do with her 'creation,' and would only acknowledge the fact under the most extreme of circumstances. Washu and her 'daughter' got along about as well as Ryoko and Ayeka did, which wasn't all that well---a fact that was very well known to the rest of the Masaki family.

"Hey, you guys!" Mihoshi hissed from the exam table, where she was now cleaning Sammy's arms. "Keep it down! You'll wake her!"

"Ryoko, please?" Sasami pleaded. "Not now!"

Ryoko patted Sasami's head, managed a smile, and backed down. "Sorry, honeybunch. I promise I'll behave." Ryoko and Ayeka shared at least one common bond--Sasami. Their mutual love for the little girl often kept them from each other's throats. That, and the fact that Sasami was easily the best cook in the house, and would often threaten not to feed them if they didn't keep the peace!

"As I was about to say," Washu started to explain, "before I was so rudely interrupted..."

"Hmph!" Ryoko sniffed.

"Ryoko..." Ayeka warned. "Please continue, Miss Washu."

"What I can tell you all for certain is that this child we found possesses the same basic genetic code as our Sasami, but--contrary to appearances, she is not an exact duplicate!"

"What do you mean, Washu?" Ryoko asked. "She looks just like her!"

"She may look like her, for all we know, she may even talk and act like her, but--she is NOT our Sasami! There is a major difference!"

"Which is?"

"Yes, just what might this 'difference' be, Miss Washu?"

Washu shook her head is genuine amazement. "I'm surprised at you, girls! I thought for sure you'd have noticed by now!" The small scientist indicated the sleeping Sammy. "Look at her face. Look at her forehead. See anything missing?"

Sasami caught on instantly. "There's no caste mark!" she gasped.

"Exactly! Very good, Sasami!" Washu grinned. "You go to the head of the class!"

"Yay, Sasami!" Mihoshi cheered, then suddenly remembered that she was supposed to keep quiet. "Oops! Sorry..." she grinned sheepishly.

"If I might go on..." Washu raised an eyebrow, then walked over and stood behind Sasami. "This Sasami, our Sasami, is from the planet Jurai. She bears the caste mark of the Royal House of Jurai, which also links her to Tsunami, the tree-goddess who has helped keep our Sasami alive since she was three-years-old."

"We know all that, Washu! Get to the point!" Ryoko was bristling again.

"Hush, Ryoko! Let her finish! Please, go on..." Ayeka prompted.

Washu now indicated the slumbering Sammy on the exam table. "As our Sasami has pointed out, this Sasami, the child we found outside, has no caste mark. And for a very good reason..." Washu folded her arms and stared hard at the others. "She's an Earthling!"

"What?!?" the others gasped in shock.

"You mean, she...she's human?!?" Sasami stammered. Never in her young life had Sasami thought that a human child could look so much like her, and yet, here she was, staring at her!

"Yup," Washu replied. "She's human, all right, through and through! And apparently, an extraordinary little human. I keep getting an unusually high power reading from her. It keeps changing every time I scan her."

"What?!?" Ayeka stared in disbelief from Washu to the small girl on the table. "What sort of power reading? What do you make of it?"

"Difficult to say, at this point. It seems dormant right now, anyway. I'll have to study her some more after she wakes up. But, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, eventually."

"OF COURSE YOU WILL, WASHU!"

"THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN'T DO, WASHU!"

Washu's twin robot-dolls suddenly appeared out of nowhere like they usually did, sensing yet another opportunity to pump up their master's already huge ego...which seemed to be their only function.

"WASHU'S THE GREATEST!"

"WASHU'S THE BEST!"

"Oh, SHUT UP!"

"I beg your pardon..." Washu eyed her 'daughter' coldly.

"Not you, Washu, THEM!" Ryoko snapped. 'Damn,' she thought, 'that woman can be so irritating, sometimes!'

"So what's wrong with a little hero worship?" Washu reasoned.

"If we could please return to the matter at hand..." Ayeka prompted again.

"Suits me. This all sounds well and good, Washu, but what about this other cabbit we found?" Ryoko gently petted the sleeping animal on the other exam table, next to Sammy.

"Yeah, Washu! What about him?" Sasami piped up.

"Sasami, I'm proud of you! You've pinpointed the difference once again!" Washu explained to the others, "As far as I can determine, our two cabbits seem to be identical twins, except for the gender difference. The one lying on the table is a male. Our Ryo-Oki, of course, is a female."

"Myaa!" Ryo-Oki had hopped out of Sasami's hands and onto the exam tables, where she was now studying the male cabbit with genuine interest. "Myaa! Myaa!"

Ryoko, who could understand Ryo-Oki's language, chided the little creature. "Hey! I know he 'looks' cute, Ryo-Oki, but be careful! You don't even know him yet!"

"Yeah, Ryo-Oki!" Sasami added. "You don't want to make Ken-Oki jealous, do you?" Ryo-Oki looked sheepish as the others laughed.

"All right, so we know they're alike in some ways, and they're different in some ways," Ryoko summarized. "Now for the big question: Where did these two come from?"

"Good question," Washu muttered. "Let me think..." It took several seconds before Washu brightened. "I've got it!!" The mini-genius rushed to one of the many devices that were scattered about her laboratory. "Earlier today, my long-range sensors went crazy. They reported that a minor disturbance had occurred in the space-time continuum; a sort of rip, if you will, in the space-time fabric. They also reported that something had fallen through the multidimensional strata. At the time, it seemed inconsequential, but if my calculations are correct...and they usually are, if I do say so myself..." Washu smiled broadly.

"OF COURSE THEY ARE, WASHU!"

"YOU COULDN'T BE MORE RIGHT, WASHU!"

The robots were at it, again.

"OH, KNOCK IT OFF!!!"

The robots took one look at Ryoko, and immediately vanished from sight.

Washu barely noticed, she was still absorbed in her lecture. "If I'm right," she continued, indicating the pair on the tables, "then I would say that these two are what fell through that interspatial rip, and that they are travelers from some sort of Other Dimension, a sort of 'Twilight Zone,' so to speak, full of similarities and differences. This other Sasami may look the same, but she may not necessarily act the same, just as we may look the same to her, but act differently." Washu finally looked up to see confused looks upon the faces of her little audience. "Uhhhh...Did any of you understand anything of what I just said?"

"Nope," Ryoko answered.

"I must confess I did not, Miss Washu." Ayeka added.

"Well, maybe a little bit..." Mihoshi offered, to everyone's surprise. "Ummmm...'Fraid not." The others nodded. Mihoshi was known for several traits, but high intelligence wasn't one of them.

"Uhhh...Not really, Washu. Sorry..." Sasami said while Ryo-Oki meowed her agreement, as well.

Washu sighed heavily. "O--Kay. I'll say it just once more, and you all had better get it this time..."

Actually, it took a couple of tries, thanks to Mihoshi. But the light of understanding finally dawned upon everyone.


"Hey, you guys! She's coming around!" Mihoshi's call brought everyone back to the examination table, upon which Sammy's body was slowly, but finally, beginning to stir.

"Don't crowd," Washu ordered. "Give her some room!"

"Oooohhh, I can't wait to meet her!" Sasami cried excitedly. "I bet she'll be just like me!"

"You'll have to wait and see," Ayeka chuckled. "You did a nice job, Mihoshi. Our guest now looks at least...somewhat neater."

"Thanks, Ayeka. But the poor thing could still use a good, hot bath. And some clean clothes, too."

"She can wear mine! I'm sure they'd fit!"

"I wonder if she's hungry..."

"We can worry about all that later, you guys!" Ryoko frowned. "Right now, I want to know just who this kid is and where she comes from!"

"You and me both, daughter, but...please let me do the talking, all right?" The others fell silent as Washu began to gently coax Sasami's counterpart into awakening. "Sasami?...Wake up, honey...It's your friend, Washu, dearie. Can you hear me?"

Sammy's initial response was a soft moan as her mind fought its way out of the blackness. She was slowly becoming aware of the sound of familiar voices, except that she couldn't yet understand what they were saying, or quite figure out where they were coming from. However, she was certain that one of the voices had sounded very much like...her own!

"Miss Washu? I just had a thought; that 'power reading' you were talking about? You don't think...Could this child be any sort of threat to us?"

"Well...I'd doubt it, Ayeka, considering the way she landed here. If she'd wanted to attack any of us, she'd have done so, right off the bat. Still..." Washu motioned to Ayeka's sister. "Sasami, it might be a good idea for you to stay out of sight for a little bit..."

"But I want to meet her!" Sasami protested.

"It's for your own good, little one! Just until we're sure about her."

Ayeka added, "When it's safe to come out, we'll call you."

"Promise?"

"Promise!" Ayeka nodded.

"Well...OK, then. C'mon, Ryo-Oki!" Sasami quickly gathered up her pet cabbit, and Ayeka found them a safe place where they could hide in the shadows, but still see what was going on.

"Wh...Wha..." On the exam table, Sammy began to slowly open her eyes, but winced and snapped them shut again upon encountering the bright glare of the lights above her. Mihoshi tried to help by finding the dimmer switch, and brought the lights down a notch or two.

"Sasami?" Washu tried again. "Wake up, little one..."

'She looks like Sasami,' the scientist thought, 'she even sounds like Sasami, but she isn't our Sasami!' That fact was confirmed when Sammy blinked her eyes, focused on the first face she recognized, and spoke her first coherent word---

"Sensei?!?"

"Sensei?" Washu glanced up at the others; they were just as startled as she was. "Why would she call me that? I'm a scientist, not a teacher!"

Sammy looked up into Washu's face with surprise on her own. "W-Wa-Washu-sensei? What are you doing here? Wh-Where am I? Whoa!" Sammy tried to sit up, and immediately lay back down; her head still felt a little heavy. She tried to take in her new surroundings, and saw that she was in some sort of infirmary that looked more like a laboratory of some kind. Another familiar figure bent over her, gently caressing her head and shoulders. "Mi-Mihoshi?"

"Hi, sweetie-pie! How are you feeling, hmmm? Does it hurt anyplace? Any aches or pains anywhere?"

"I...I feel all right, I guess..." Sammy's eyes then caught sight of Ryoko and Ayeka watching her with concerned expressions.

"Mihoshi? Ayeka? Ryoko? Washu-sensei? What's going on, you guys? Why are we all here? And...where is here, anyway?" Sammy finally managed to sit up.

"Sasami's voice, no doubt about it." Washu placed a small device on Sammy's forehead. "Hold still a moment, dear. I just want to take your temperature." Washu then took the child's pulse while the tiny digital thermometer did its work. Moments later, its measurement was complete. "Ah! Normal!" Washu smiled, removing the device. "Sasami," Washu began, "you obviously know who the four of us are, am I right?" At Sammy's nod, Washu continued. "Well, my dear, you're in my laboratory."


"Your laboratory?" Sammy looked around. "But this doesn't look like our school..."

"Uhhh, no, dear, you're at home, our home," Washu replied. "We found you unconscious, outside in the carrot patch, with your cabbit..."

"My cabbit?" Sammy's eyes widened. "Ryo-Oki? Is he here, too? Where is he? Is he okay?" Sammy asked hurriedly while looking around for her pet.

"Relax, kiddo. He's right here! Here you go." Ryoko picked up the still unconscious cabbit and handed him over to Sammy's waiting hands.

"Ohhh, thank you, Ryoko!" Sammy hugged the cabbit close to her, cradling him like a baby and speaking softly to the little creature. "Hi, Ryo-Oki! It's me, Sammy! Are you okay? I'm so glad you're here..."

Washu and Ryoko took a moment to exchange a few telepathic thoughts---

{It's uncanny! She's acting just like our Sasami would!}

{Well, if she's not from Jurai, then she's one hell of a human impressionist! Ask her how she got here!}

{Right!...Here goes...}

"Sasami," Washu asked kindly, "do you mind telling us what happened to you? You were out cold for about half an hour! Do you remember anything about how you got here?"

"Uh-oh," Sammy worried. "Now what do I do? I hate lying, but I can't tell them about my identity as Pretty Sammy, or about Pixy Misa!" "Uhhh...well," Sammy began, trying to quickly think of a plausible story. "The last thing I remember was walking home from school. I said good-bye to Misao, and I went on by myself..."

"Misao?" Mihoshi interrupted. "Who's Misao?"

Sammy couldn't believe her ears. "What do you mean, 'Who's Misao'?" Seeing everyone's confused faces, she continued, "Come on, you guys! You all know very well who Misao is! She's my best friend! We're in the same class together! Geez, Mihoshi, how could you forget something like that?!?" Sammy sounded genuinely angry. 'How could Mihoshi be so stupid?!?' she thought.

Mihoshi was still confused but also a little hurt by Sammy's outburst. She started to stammer out a reply, but Washu held up a hand, gesturing her to stop. "Never mind about that now, Sasami. Please go on. You left Misao, you were going home, what happened next?"

"Well...Suddenly, this strange light appeared out of nowhere! It was really weird, but I remember that it kinda looked like that wormhole thing on 'Deep Space Nine.'"

'Oh boy,' thought Sammy, 'like she'll really go for that!'

Washu just raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh," she nodded. "Then what?"

"Well, I don't know where that thing came from, but the next thing I knew, we were being sucked into whatever it was! I remember trying to hold on to Ryo-Oki, but I lost him! And then...I woke up...here. That's all I remember..." Sammy's voice trailed off. 'Please, God,' she silently hoped, 'let Washu believe me!'

{You buy any of that, Washu?} Ryoko asked telepathically. {Since when does Sasami go to school?}

{This one apparently does!}

{So, she walked home from school, with Ryo-Oki?}

{You know our pair; those two go everywhere together!}

{And a wormhole, like on TV? This kid's hiding something, Mom!}

{I know, daughter, I could tell. And that power reading I got from her definitely intrigues me.}

{So, what do we do about her? You still don't think she's a threat?}

{For the moment...let's give her the benefit of the doubt.}

Washu pretended to study her computer displays while she and Ryoko 'talked.' Then, she turned to Sammy with a face she hoped masked her suspicions. "Well, okay, Sasami," Washu said. "From what my examination tells me, you're not seriously hurt! Just a few minor bumps and bruises."

"Thanks, Washu-sensei. I feel fine, really!" Sammy smiled and continued stroking her Ryo-Oki.

Meanwhile, Ayeka and Ryoko had been sharing some concerned looks, and some private whispers. Ayeka now stepped closer to the exam table.

"Sasami," Ayeka asked gently, "are you sure that you are all right?"

"Of course I'm all right, Ayeka! Why?"

"Then...why do you address Miss Washu as, 'sensei'?"

Again, Sammy couldn't believe what she'd heard! This was almost too much! "Oh, come on, Ayeka, not you, too! Washu's our school science teacher! I'm in her 4th-grade class! Why shouldn't I call her, 'sensei'? Geez, what's gotten into you guys?" Now that Sammy was talking to them, she was finally beginning to get a good, solid look at Ayeka and her other friends. They all looked and sounded right, but they were sure acting strangely! And their clothes were different, too! Ayeka, Ryoko and Washu were wearing very ornate, colorful, Japanese style robes. Even Mihoshi seemed to be wearing some sort of uniform! "And why are you all dressed like that?" Sammy asked. "Are you all going to some kind of costume party?"

The other four ladies all exchanged puzzled looks. "I don't see anything at all improper about our attire. Do you, Ryoko?" Ayeka asked with a frown.

Ayeka's rival shrugged her shoulders. "We all look fine and dandy to me!"

"Sasami," Mihoshi tried to explain, "we've always worn clothes like this, you know that!"

"No, you don't!" Sammy shook her head earnestly. "You never wear fancy stuff like that, unless it's to some party. Usually, you guys wear...everyday stuff! Pants, T-shirts, jeans, dresses...you know, like me! Except when we wear our school uniforms..."

"School...uniforms?!?" Ryoko was utterly lost.

'That's it!!!' Sammy thought to herself. 'If this is some joke of Pixy Misa's, it is definitely NOT funny!!!'

"Yes, school!!!" Sammy exploded. "In Tokyo! Where we all live!" Sammy was shocked at the blank stares she was getting back. "Where Washu teaches science, and Ayeka's the student-body president! Where Misao and I are in the 4th-grade, and Ayeka, Ryoko and Tenchi are all in high school!" Sammy finally calmed down. "Is Tenchi here, too, by the way?" she asked, looking around the laboratory.

"Tenchi? What about him?" Ryoko asked, a little too sharply.

Ayeka held up a cautioning hand. "Why do want to know if Tenchi is here, Sasami?" she asked.

"I just want to know where my brother is, and if he knows where I am, silly!"

To say that Sammy's explanation came as a great surprise to everyone else would be a major understatement!

"Your...BROTHER?!?" the others chorused.

"Yes, my brother!" Sammy snapped in exasperation. This had gone far enough! "Come on, you guys, this IS a joke, right? You guys all know that Tenchi's my big brother! Mom put you all up to this, didn't she?"


"Well, Sasami, you see..."

At that moment, a buzzer sounded, and Tenchi's voice could be heard coming from a nearby speaker. "Washu? Have you got a minute?"

'Whew! Saved by the bell!' Washu thought as she moved to answer the lab intercom. She had come to appreciate its installation over the past several months. It helped keep away unwanted visitors while she worked, but made her available to the rest of the family for mealtimes or whenever she was needed. "Yeah, Tenchi, what's up?"

"Well, Kiyone's making dinner, and Dad and Grandpa are anxious to hear how our new little friend is doing."

"She's up and around, Tenchi," Washu replied, glancing at Sammy. "And she's anxious to talk with you. I'll get the door for you. Be right there!" Washu gave Sammy a quick smile before she hurried away. "Just sit tight, little one! I'll be right back!"

Sammy continued stroking her cabbit as she watched Washu disappear into the shadows. She then quietly asked herself, "Is it just me, or has everybody here gone slightly bonkers? Even Washu-sensei's acting weird!"

Ryoko couldn't help overhearing. Without thinking, she replied, "If you ask me, kiddo, when it comes to weird, my Mother wrote the book!" The others gasped in alarm, and a moment later, so did Ryoko. "Oops! Shouldn't have said that!"

"Your...Washu's your...Mom?!?" Sammy was having a lot of trouble accepting this new concept.

"Oh, well," Ryoko shrugged, "too late, now." "I know how you feel, kiddo. I often can't believe it myself," she dryly replied.

As Sammy tried to digest this new bit of information, she looked up to see Washu returning with Tenchi. She immediately noticed that a quiet, but urgent conversation seemed to be passing between them, with each of them glancing at her every so often.

'They must be talking about me,' Sammy thought. 'I hope Tenchi isn't acting weird, too!'

Actually, Washu was doing her best to quickly bring Tenchi up-to-date on the 'Sasami situation.' They were just approaching the others when 'their Sasami,' still crouching in the shadows with her Ryo-Oki, whispered from her hiding place.

"Psssssttt!! Washu! Can we come out yet? I'm getting tired of sitting here!"

"Just a little longer, sweetie! Let's see what happens with Tenchi, first." Tenchi gave her a quick smile as they hurried past, and Sasami replied with a small wave of her hand. Looking up, Tenchi noticed that the Sasami who was sitting on the exam table was giving him the same wave!

"Hi, Tenchi!" Sammy called to him. The others quickly greeted him as well, with Ayeka inadvertently calling him, "Lord Tenchi," before she caught herself, and hoped that Sammy hadn't overheard.

"Sasami! It's good to see you! You really had us worried for a little while!" Tenchi moved to the exam table and sat down next to Sammy, taking her hand and smiling at her. "So, how are you feeling, princess? All better? How's Ryo-Oki?"

Sammy looked at everyone watching her, then she returned Tenchi's smile. "I'm fine now, Tenchi, thank you. Ryo-Oki's still kinda out of it, though. But Washu says he'll be okay."

"Well, that's great..." Tenchi started to reply, but broke off when he noticed that Sammy's smile had disappeared.

"Tenchi..." Sammy hesitated, then plunged ahead. "Can I ask you something, please?"

"Well, of course, Sasami," Tenchi replied. "What's on your mind?"

Sammy waved a free hand at Washu and the other girls, indicating that what she wanted to say involved all of them. "What's with them? They all act like...like they've never seen me before!"

Tenchi got an uncomfortable look on his face as he looked from Sammy to the others and back again. "Well, you see, Sasami," he tried to explain, "it's just that it was a big surprise to see you appear out of nowhere like that with Ryo-Oki."

"But why should it be a surprise? You all know who I am! I'm the one who's surprised, because everything's all mixed up! Everybody's all dressed funny, Ryoko says Washu's her Mom, and...and nobody knows anything about Misao, or about school, or that Washu's a teacher, or...or that...you're my brother!" Sammy was starting to visibly tremble, her eyes were on the verge of tears as her mounting confusion began to take control. "Ten--Tenchi, you are my brother, aren't you?"

When Tenchi, at a loss for words, didn't reply right away, Sammy really did start crying. "Tenchi, please tell me! I wake up in here, and it seems like my whole world is coming apart!"

"Sasami..."

"Tenchi, don't lie to me, please! I need the truth! I need to know what's going on! I need to know I'm...I'm your sister!" Sammy fell sobbing into Tenchi's arms. Not knowing what else to do, he gave the child a hug and stroked her back, trying to soothe her.


"Myaa!"

Sammy looked up. "Huh? Ry--Ryo-Oki?" No, it wasn't. Her cabbit was still pooped out! "Then who's meowing?" Sammy wondered.

"Myaa! Myaaa!"

There seemed to be a small commotion taking place in the nearby shadows. Everyone could hear the sounds of meowing and then---

"Stop! Ryo-Oki, wait! Don't go over there yet!"

"That's MY voice!!! But how...? Who...?"

Sammy could only sit and stare as the answers to her questions suddenly came into view. First, another Ryo-Oki came bounding down the aisle, leaped onto the exam table, hopped into her arms, bleated a friendly "Myaa," and began licking her face!

"Ryo-Oki?!?" Sammy looked from one to the other. "But you're...How can...?" And as if two Ryo-Okis weren't enough, they were followed seconds later by the sound of running feet, as another little girl appeared. Sammy's jaw dropped as her mind screamed, "THAT'S ME!!!"

"I'm sorry, Washu, but Ryo-Oki wouldn't hold still and I couldn't...hold on...to...her..." Sasami's explanation trailed off as she found herself staring into Sammy's eyes. The other girl's stunned expression mirrored her own.

"This is a dream," Sammy told herself. "This has GOT to be a dream!!!"

Putting down both Ryo-Okis, Sammy got off the table and stood up, first making sure that her wobbly legs would support her. She then summoned her courage and stood face-to-face with...herself!

Ever protective of her little sister, Ayeka moved to intervene and separate the pair, until Washu caught her arm and held her back.

"It's as good a time as any," Washu said. She then faced the little girls with what she hoped was a cheerful expression. "Sasami, meet...Sasami!" Washu finally said resignedly. What more was there to say?

Ayeka stared fearfully at the small twosome, fervently hoping that this new experience wouldn't prove too much for both of them. Everyone in the laboratory could feel the tension, falling silent as they watched their two Sasamis look each other over.

For a few moments, the Sasami twins gazed at themselves in openmouthed astonishment, each wondering if the other was a product of her imagination.

"He--Hello," Sasami timidly offered her hand. "Don't be afraid! It's okay, I won't bite!" she said, managing a weak smile.

Sammy cautiously reached out and felt her other self's arm before taking her hand. "You're...You're for real!" she gasped.

Sasami's smile grew broader. "So are you!" Then, she positively grinned. "Wow!" she exclaimed to the others, "It's like we're twins!"

That certainly seemed to be the case. Both Sasamis looked to be the same height and weight. They both had the same sky-blue hair done up in the double-ponytail style. They both had the same plum-pink eyes, even the same freckles!

"Who...Who are you?" Sammy asked, still not quite believing this sight before her eyes.

Sasami gave Ayeka and the others a questioning look, as if to say, "Do I tell her?"

Ayeka smiled encouragingly. "Tell her the truth, Sasami."

Sasami nodded and faced her twin, taking Sammy's hands in hers. "I'm Princess Sasami Jurai Masaki, Second Princess of the Royal House of the Planet Jurai."

Sammy just stared back at Sasami for a very long moment before replying. "Princess Sasami?!? From the planet...Jurai?!? Are you saying you're...some kind of space alien or something?"

"Well, yeah," Sasami chuckled, "I guess you could say that." She then moved over next to Ayeka, and put her arm around her. "And since my big sister is the Crown Princess of Jurai...well, I guess that makes her a 'space alien,' too!" Sasami broke into a fit of giggles, which helped to ease the tension a little.

Sammy's mind was racing a mile a minute, but she still managed to put two and two together. "Ayeka...is your sister?!?"

"Yes, indeed," Ayeka replied, "I most certainly am. And now, Sasami, would you mind telling us your name?"

"But," Sammy answered, "you already know my name."

"Tell us anyway, little one," Washu encouraged. "Your full name. We just want to make sure you have your head on straight."

At this point, Sammy wasn't sure about anything, let alone her head! But she forced out the words, nevertheless. "My...My name is Sasami Kawaii. I'm ten-years-old, I'm in the fourth grade, and...and...I--I gotta sit down!"

Sammy's legs gave way beneath her as she very nearly fainted! Tenchi and Washu quickly helped her back onto the exam table as Sasami and the others watched anxiously.

"...Dreaming," Sammy was babbling. "Gotta be dreaming!"

"Sasami!" Sasami cried with alarm. "It's OK! Everything's gonna be OK!"

"Tenchi, do something!" Ayeka pleaded.

"Sasami, look at me. LOOK at me!" Tenchi got a firm grip on Sammy's shoulders, and forced her to face him. "You are NOT dreaming! This is for real, and you're going to be all right!"

"NOOOO!!!" Sammy shut her eyes and batted Tenchi's hands away. "This CAN'T be real!!! There CAN'T be two of me!!!" Sammy was sobbing hysterically.

"Washu?" Mihoshi offered, "Maybe if you told her about that other dimensional space-time thingy?"

Although surprised that Mihoshi had actually come up with a good idea, Washu nodded and set to her task, grabbing Sammy's flailing hands and forcing them to her lap. "Sasami, listen to me! LISTEN TO ME!!!" she shouted loudly. Washu then took Sammy's tear-streaked face in her hands as she tried to calm the child down. "Sasami, please listen to me. I need you to listen very, very carefully to what I have to say."

Thankfully, Sammy finally quieted down. "O--Okay."

"That's my girl!" Washu tried to make herself sound as soothing as possible. "Little one, what I've got to tell you is going to be very difficult for you to understand, so I'll try to put this as simply and bluntly as I can."

Sammy sniffled and blinked back her tears. "Ye--Yes?"

Washu looked Sammy straight in the eye. "Dorothy," she said, "You're Not In Kansas Anymore!"

To Be Continued…