Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Homecoming ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Prince of Tennis. If I did, more characters would cross-dress canonically.

Warnings: crack, humor, potential badfic-ness, m/m action, cross-dressing, contrived plotlines, randomness

<center>Homecoming
by Solanum Dulcamara</center>

Chapter 2:

Before class the next day, Fuji approached Inui outside of his classroom, pulling the taller aside for conversation. "I will take care of making sure the losers of each match are properly attired. Nee-san has offered her assistance. Although they are not yet aware of it, I have planned a shopping excursion for this afternoon. I believe, however, it would be difficult to convince Kaidoh to accompany us and therefore request to be given leave to purchase his dress for him."

The data specialist absorbed the tensai's succinct proposition and put forth a request of his own, "May I at least have a say in his dress' color?"

At this question, blue eyes opened speculatively, "Are you his date?"

"Yes," Inui adjusted his glasses. "He doesn't know yet, but yes."

Fuji nodded. "You have his measurements, I presume."

One black brow arched over thick-rimmed glasses in disbelief that Fuji felt the need to ask, before before Inui willing wrote said measurements in a planner offered by his teammate.

AFter quickly looking over the numbers and notes in his planner, Fuji turned to go with a satisfied smile, only to be stopped by a hand on his shoulder. He cocked his head to the left slightly in question.

"One more favor," Inui answered, "As Kaidoh's only local female relative is his mother, can you help him with his preparations and allow me to retrieve him from your house?"

To this, the tensai smiled genuinely, "Please leave it to me," and headed to class 3-6 and his seat next to Eiji - he still had to inform the redhead and their temperamental kohai of the afternoon engagement.

Kikumaru listened intently as his classmate outlined their shopping trip. "Hoi! Good idea, Fuji. I didn't want to go alone and the idea of going with my sisters is scary enough to turn my hair white. Besides, Oishi has student government stuff to do today," he made a face to show exactly how he felt about 'student government stuff'. "Have you told Ochibi, yet? Or were you just planning on hijacking him after practice? If that's the case, I'll help."

Fuji smiled at his friend's enthusiasm. It would make the process more simple if all involved were willing participants... although, a small struggle could be amusing. "Not yet," he intoned lightly, "And I don't think a kidnapping will be entirely necessary. I thought we could pay a visit to the first year floor during lunch."

"Ha! We can visit Ochibi in his class..." but any more of Kikumaru's exuberance was quelled by the beginning of class.

*****

On the second floor, Momoshiro approached his homeroom representative hesitantly. She was a nice enough girl, but a notorious gossip. His purchase of a set of dance tickets would, no doubt, lead to embarrassing questions that he wasn't sure how to answer. But he'd told Echizen he'd buy the tickets, so buy them he would. Pasting his trademark grin on his face, he swallowed his fear. "Oi, Mitsuko-chan. I need a pair of tickets," he held out his money.

Mitsuko stared at he classmate. It was a well-known fact that Momoshiro Takeshi, the biggest flirt of their year, was utterly uncatchable. He'd smile and flirt and compliment most girls, but never dated a single one. What mystery girl had managed to snag him for homecoming? Maybe she went to another school. She accepted the proffered money and dug out a pair of tickets, holding them hostage with the question, "So, you have a date?"

"Eheh... sort of," the tennis player laughed, "We're going as friends. It's for the tennis club."

"Hmm... but who?"

"Se-cret," Momoshiro interrupted playfully and easily snatched his tickets out of her hand and headed back to his desk, chuckling over how easy that had actually been.

*****

Lunch found Kikumaru and Fuji invading first year class two to find Echizen trying to eat while being pestered by Horio. They exchanged a brief look of curiosity before interrupting the one-sided conversation. "Echizen, may we have a minute," the tensai began, diplomatically. His acrobatic companion, lacking a few of his social graces, simply dragged their kohai out of his chair, "Nya, come on Ochibi. We've got to talk to you." Horio watched with large doses of curiosity as the three relocated to the dubious privacy of the hallway. Fuji wasn't overmuch concerned about privacy, knowing the tennis team's newest 'project' was already cranking into the gossip mill.

Arriving outside the classroom, Kikumaru surprisingly not only released the underclassman, but also let his classmate do the talking.

"Echizen, I've been discussing with Eiji our unfortunate circumstances. But as we must oblige with the consequences of practice, wouldn't it be reasonable to make the preparations as efficiently as possible?" Fuji suggested in the honeyed tones of a master manipulator.

A guarded "sure" and bland look met his initial question, so Fuji pressed on. "Being male, none of us have experience with purchasing dresses. My sister has kindly offered both her experience and transportation after practice today."

Echizen considered the proposal, taking in the smiles of his senpai. He needed a dress. Help would be appreciated. Not being the only guy in the women's department would be a small comfort. Sure, it was sudden, but he didn't have plans anyway. Al in all, he couldn't see any problems with the idea. He shrugged with an indifferent, "Why not," and headed back to his bento. The third years watched him go, then exchanged brief conspiratory smiles and turned in the direction of the stairwell.

*****

As everyone dispersed after practice, Oishi watched his doubles partner leaving the school with Fuji, Echizen in tow, gesturing wildly to accompany whatever story he was telling. He wasn't surprised to find himself smiling while watching his best friend's theatrics - Eiji's propensity for expressing his thoughts with his entire body was one of his more endearing habits. According to Eiji's brief and vague explanation, the three were picking up unspecified items for the dance. If Oishi were a betting man, which he most definitely was not, but if he were, he'd say they were likely going dress shopping. He almost wished he could tag along, as it was likely to be an amusing excursion, but as fate would have it, dance preparations were also on his agenda this afternoon.

Setting off across the campus, Oishi took time to enjoy the crisp Autumn breeze and let his thoughts wander, reviewing his plans for the day. He had a brief meeting with the entertainment to finalize plans. Then he needed to review the budget, drop his suit off at the dry-cleaners, and stop by the florist to order Eiji's corsage. That last one provided only a minor problem. He wasn't sure what kind of corsage to get. He knew Eiji liked flowers, and after speaking briefly with his mother, determined that wrist corsages were preferable to the pinning variety, but that's where his ideas ended. He'd wondered briefly if Eiji would want a corsage and finally decided that because Eiji declared himself Oishi's date, he'd probably want all of the trappings that went with the title. The redhead would probably get excited about the corsage... he'd have to make sure he picked out a good one.

As he opened the door to the main building, Oishi briefly wondered if the thought of his best friend being his date should bother him at all. He was a bit nervous about the dance, but it was more tingling anticipation than nauseous worry. He'd calmed down quite a bit since he'd agreed to go with Eiji because he no longer spent his days dodging invitations from overly eager classmates. Girls could be quite persistent and scary when something like a school dance was involved.

The student body president had to chuckle at the thought of a Japanese middle school having a homecoming dance. The entire debacle had started with a conversation between their freshman regular and his fangirls. Apparently, Ryuzaki-sensei's granddaughter and her boisterous friend, Osakada, were interrogating Echizen about American school activities and "homecoming" came up in conversation. This notion of an Autumnal dance quickly swept through the Seishun Gakuen rumor mill. That very afternoon, Oishi'd found an official event proposal on his desk, along with a petition signed by the entire female population of the school. The fact that their school's American football club was nothing more than that - a club - didn't seem to matter, and the president had had little choice but to approve the dance. Girls could be more than persistent and scary when something like a school dance was involved. The subsequent weeks had been a nightmare as his days were divided between his usual duties as student body president and tennis club vice-captain, organizing the planning of the homecoming dance, and avoiding potential dates. The awkward practice that ended with Eiji as his date was actually quite a relief. Not only did he no longer have to worry about lame excuses to give girls who asked him out, he was also guaranteed a fun night at the dance. With Eiji at his side, he was sure to enjoy the evening.

Oishi paused in walking and thinking to look at his surroundings. He realized with a rueful smile, he'd been so lost in thought that he'd passed the student council room, and he turned back in a hurry. Although part of him was kind of looking forward to the dance, for the most part, he could wait for it to be over.

*****

A cab with two passengers in its back seat pulled up in front of Seishun Gakuen. Blue eyes peered through the glass of spectacles and window before their owner commented, "It's a bit drab for a private academy, isn't it?"

His redheaded companion rolled his eyes. "Don't be such a snob, Yuushi. And pay the driver," and with that, Mukahi Gakuto exited the vehicle.

After paying the fare with a healthy tip, Oshitari Yuushi joined his doubles partner on the sidewalk in front of the school and voiced a curiosity, "Gakuto, why did you come with me today? I didn't think organizational meetings were your thing."

Blue eyes flashed as Mukahi gave his partner a sharp look, "You know very well that I'm perfectly comfortable in meetings or whatever, if I want to be there. I came today because it seemed like it might be fun and I earned the right to follow as I please when you got me involved in this little project."

The two crossed the school grounds, heading for the main building, their body-language bespeaking comfortable intimacy. Oshitari chuckled, "So basically, you were bored and wanted to get out of Hyoutei, and you're hoping to be able to bait Kikumaru."

Mukahi didn't deign to answer, instead changing the subject, "How the hell did you end up singing at school dances anyway?"

Oshitari held the door for his shorter companion and answered after thinking, "I find the tradition and ritual of school dances to be quaint and charming, and performing at them is an excellent cure for ennui."

"Oh. I see. You love the lovey-doveyness because you're a total sap, but must hide behind you're well-crafted facade of objective amusement."

"Touché."

"You're cute, Yuushi."

Oshitari stopped in front of a door, checked its number and opened it with his doubles partner looking over his shoulder. It opened to reveal Oishi bent over a desk, paperwork spread in neat stacks before him, but he looked up with a smile when he heard the door open. Mukahi made a small sound of surprise, "You didn't tell me your meeting is with Kikumaru's keeper!"

Oishi felt his face flush slightly at the title.

"Oi! Where's your pet?"

Pet?! The student council president blushed furiously. Attempting to maintain his dignity while red-faced, OIshi cleared his throat before answering, "Eiji left school already."

Oshitari could feel Gakuto pouting behind him as he entered the room. "I guess you'll have to find some other way to entertain yourself-"

"I will," Mukahi interrupted, "Have fun at your little meeting. I'll be back in an hour." The door shut with a swoosh and slam, leaving Oshitari and Oishi staring after the quick exit.

"Well," the president said diplomatically, "Have a seat. Let's get started." The meeting proceeded smoothly, as both parties were organized, efficient, and professional. The hour passed quickly and the evening's entertainment plans were finalized. After brief farewells, Oshitari left OIshi to his budget and exited the room, looking around for his doubles partner. He heard, "Yuushi! Yuushi!" and braced himself, knowing by experience, that timbre of voice heralded a flying body. Not a moment later, his much smaller doubles partner landed on his back, slender arms and legs quickly wrapping around him to hold Mukahi in place. Oshitari smiled indulgently and began the trek to the front of the school with his Gakuto-backpack firmly in place, knowing the redhead would stay there as long as he wanted to. It wasn't like he weighed much anyway.

Mukahi, as his doubles partner started carting him outside, whipped out Yuushi's cell and made a quick call for a cab. That finished, he quickly returned to his earlier excitement. "Yuushi, get this shit. I wandered till I found the vending machines, 'cause I was thirsty, and there were some girls there talking about the tennis club, so invited myself into their conversation, but they didn't mind, 'cause they thought I was cute. So, after a few questions I find out half of Seigaku's team lost a bet or game or something, I couldn't get exact details on that, but it's not important because guess what they have to do since they lost. They've gotta go to this dance thing as girls! In dresses and everything. And guess who lost. Yep, Kikumaru. And I'm gonna be there to see it. Thanks for getting me involved in this, Yuushi. It's gonna be great." Mukahi continued in this vein and Oshitari let him. Half of Seigaku would be attending the dance in drag. The thought was interesting to say the lest. It, in fact, gave him an idea or two. This was turning out to be one of the best gigs he'd ever taken.

*****

Three people waited on a bench outside of a dressing room; two with calm anticipation, the other with bored indifference. Finally, Kikumaru emerged in a full skirted dress. The fitted, satin bodice has a scoop neck that lead to very thin straps and at the waist met a floor-length skirt with many soft layers of tulle and silk, fluffed by a layer of crinoline, all of which was a pink so pale it was just brushed by the slightest rose hue. The usually confident, energetic boy stood, nervously fidgeting with the topmost layer of his skirt as he awaited judgment. Echizen spoke first, "You look like cotton candy."

Kikumaru pouted slightly, running his hands over the soft folds of fabric. "I like cotton candy," he said in a little, embarrassed voice.

"And I like the dress on you, Eiji," Fuji reassured, obviously meaning it. He found pink oddly flattering on Eiji, and it played up his innocent appearance. Of course, it would need to be altered, all of their dresses would. Still... it fit Eiji uncannily well.

"It suits you," Yumiko added, her gentle voice so like her younger brother's in quality.

"I agree," Fuji seconded.

"It's still fluffy," Echizen retorted, wondering if it was a good thing that a dress "suited" any guy.

Beaming as he did under any kind of praise, Eiji spun once to display the dress from all angles. The soft layers of the skirt caught on the air and flared wide, displaying Kikumaru's red boxer briefs to the boutique. Echizen smirked. Yumiko giggled. Fuji smoothly noted, "We should look into bloomers."

"Bloomers?" Kikumaru blinked, "What's a bloomers?"

Still giggling, Yumiko stood. "If you've got things under control here, Syuusuke, I can find some bloomers," she offered.

Her younger brother nodded with a smile, and she moved off to speak with a clerk. Turning back to the task at hand, Fuji instructed, "Eiji, that dress is perfect. Quickly change, so we can fit Echizen next."

Echizen bristled unintentionally. He knew his senpai were helping him, but couldn't shake the feeling that they were enjoying his suffering... at least, Fuji-senpai was.

"The pain of this is relative, Echizen. If you let it bother or embarrass you, it will. If you don't, it won't."

And it was uncanny how Fuji-senpai kept making comments that answered his thoughts, whether or not the tensai had a point. He'd had little say in the potential dresses waiting for him in the fitting room. Yumiko-san and Fuji-senpai had monopolized that portion of time, dragging Kikumaru-senpai and him along for the ride. Not that he'd minded, of course. What did he know about dresses, anyway?

Kikumaru emerged with a smile on his face and his dress bunched in his arms, then motioned the youngest of their group toward the now vacant booth with a jaunty, "Your turn, Ochibi-chan."

Echizen pushed to his feet with a sigh of one resigned to his fate and trudged into the partitioned changing area. Quickly looking over the selection, passing by anything with lace or frills, he chose the least offensive dress. It was red. Wasn't Momo-senpai's favorite color red? Shrugging off that thought, Echizen set about trying to get into the dress.

On the bench outside, Fuji and Kikumaru sat, casually discussing other essentials - shoes, accessories, hair and makeup, and the subject of boutonnieres came up. It was an unexpected topic for Kikumaru. "I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks, Fujiko. When are you getting yours? Can we go together?"

The tensai chuckled quietly at Eiji's predicability. Of course he hadn't thought of boutonnieres - Eiji had no concept of dating rituals. It was rather cute that Eiji just assumed that he, himself, would need to purchase a boutonniere as well, not knowing if Fuji had a date. He supposed they could visit the florist together. He really shouldn't let Eiji go unsupervised. "Mn. It should be fun."

"Oh. Good. I didn't want to try to go alone."

Fuji turned his attention back to the rather silent dressing room. "Eiji, don't you think Echizen's been gone awhile?"

The redhead took this comment as impetus to solve the problem and jumped up to knock on the fitting room door, Ochibi! What are you doing in there? Come out and let us see."

"No."

"If you don't come out, I'll crawl under the door and drag you out."

There was a long pause from the other side of the door, but just as Kikumaru was preparing to drop onto the floor he heard Echizen mumble, "I can't figure out how to fasten this thing."

Kikumaru softened slightly at his teammate's frustrated and embarrassed tone. "Hang on a minute. Fuji will help." Good to his word, he beckoned Fuji, who knocked gently and was permitted grudging entrance.

The straps were presenting the problem - thin cords that tied in bows over each shoulder. Fuji made quick work of them, and properly attired, Echizen emerged behind Fuji and stood waiting like a man at the gallows. Kikumaru's eyes widened. "Ochibi, you're cute," he exclaimed with unbridled surprise.

Echizen felt his face getting warm. It must've been too hot in the store. The building wasn't properly ventilated. He couldn't have been blushing. He didn't blush. His dainty straps gave way to a straight-topped satin bodice with a vee-waist over a the gentle flare of an A-line skirt.

"He does look rather cute... especially blushing," Fuji thought with a smile, deciding to deepen the flush. "Indeed, Eiji. He's adorable."

Hazel eyes blinked at Fuji in shock before the freshman fled into the safety of the changing room. The frantic rustle of fabric could be heard from within, and Echizen quickly returned wearing his usual clothes, clutching the dress as if unsure what to do with it.

Fuji smiled and altered his grip so the dress was draped over his forearm. Just then, Yumiko returned with a small pink and white bag in one hand. "Here, Eiji-kun. This is my gift to you. Are we done here?"

"Mn. Thank you, Nee-san." Fuji stood and picked up two dresses he'd set aside earlier.

"Fuji, aren't you going to try on your dress?" Kikumaru asked while picking tissue paper out of the shopping bag.

"I already know my size. I'll just need to have it altered slightly, but that's a later stop."

"Do we want to know why you know what size dress you wear, Fuji-senpai?" Echizen asked a little warily.

"Saa..." was the only reply, as Fuji draped his and Kaidoh's dresses over an arm. Any further progress was interrupted by an unmanly squeak from the team's acrobatic player.

"Why did you buy me panties?" he asked Yumiko, holding up what appeared to be pink underwear with ruffles on the rear.

"Those are bloomers," Fuji explained, "Excellent choice, Nee-san."

"But how do I fit them over my underwear?"

"I don't think you wear boxer briefs under those, Kikumaru-senpai," Echizen answered sympathetically.

Kikumaru looked from the Fuji siblings to the undergarment and back again, and finally shrugged and returned it to the bag. "It could be worse," he said philosophically, standing to take his dress to the register.

The actual purchasing made Echizen glad he'd stopped at his house to swipe his old man's credit card. Dresses were expensive.

They bought shoes next. Rosey flats resembling ballet slippers for Kikumaru, as he'd likely kill himself in anything with a heel. Echizen got red satin Mary Janes with bows instead of buckles; they had little chunky heels that Fuji assured him would provide a little height without compromising stability or comfort. When Kikumaru and Echizen saw the shoes Fuji picked out, they both cringed. In an almost perfectly square box he held a pair of strappy silver five-inch stilettos that buckled around the ankle. Yumiko joined them with a pair of classic elegant black flats in a soft fabric that looked like suede. Shoes purchased, the four headed for their next destination. Fuji paused thoughtfully on the way, then made a suggestion, "Eiji. Echizen. You ought to consider getting your ears pierced."

Echizen only glared, leaving Kikumaru to voice the protest, which he was more than happy to do. "Pierce our ears?! Nya. We're not actually girls. Besides, it'll hurt."

The tensai's head tilted to the side slightly as he considered his friend's arguments. "Maa... you really should wear earrings, and clip-ons are tacky. It really doesn't hurt that much... sort of like a shot, but more brief." Both Kikumaru and Echizen were giving him suspicious looks, so he added, "And if you really hate them, you can take them out immediately after the dance."

Kikumaru was almost convinced, "Are you getting yours done, too?"

"My ears are already pierced."

"Fuji-senpai, do we want to know why you have pierced ears?" the freshman inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"Saa..." Fuji smiled.

Echizen shrugged. His pain tolerance was high, he didn't really care whether or not he had jewelry on his ears, and it was a decent way to spend his old man's money frivolously. "Whatever. Where do we go?"

Kikumaru's shoulders sagged in defeat. If Ochibi relented, he may as well go along with it. He just knew it was gonna hurt, though.

And it did. Fuji so owed him for this. Maybe he could convince Fuji to buy him the new Chocolates CD in repayment. It was an idea that should be considered. Kikumaru did have to admit, looking in the small hand mirror, that he kind of liked the small crystals. A glance at Echizen showed the freshman admiring his own gold studs. The redhead blinked in surprise. Ochibi looked rather satisfied. That was unexpected.

Yumiko, with her excellent timing, glided over as Kikumaru hopped down from the piercing chair. She had a small bag in each hand and held one each out to Echizen and her brother.

The first year took the bag and looked inside bemusedly. A red ribbon-thing and a barrette-thing that girls wear in their hair... he didn't really know what to do with them, but his cousin would.

Fuji emptied his bag to reveal a sheer, beautifully woven silver shawl. "Thank you, Nee-san."

She smiled, all lips. "Now, our last stop is for alterations. Shall we?"

TBC

Glossary:
-chan: childish or endearing suffix
hoi: similar to hey, an Eiji-ism
kohai: underclassman
-kun: casual honorific
nee-san: older sister
nya: cat noise, an Eiji-ism
ochibi: munchkin
saa: noise expressing lack of knowledge
-san: most common honorific
senpai: upperclassman
sensei: teacher
tensai: prodigy