Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Just Because, It Doesn't Mean ❯ Just Because, It Doesn't Mean ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Summary: When ever anyone hears the name Echizen Ryoma, there are a few adjectives that come to mind: emotionless, asexual, serious, etc. Ryoma, sick of being misunderstood, wants to clarify things.
About: Has a little RyoSaku. A Oneshot. Written in 1st person, Ryoma's POV. No particular time or place in story. Inspired by... well, the thought just came across while I was sick and drinking soup (?). Rated K+ Just because. Intended for humor. Sorry if you don't laugh... I tried, right?
Just a Note: I've read the whole manga, but I've only watched up to Episode 67 I think. And I heard there are a bunch of differences between the two. So this is written according to my current knowledge. If there's anything wrong or something I need to add, don't be afraid to speak up!
Also, best to be read after completing the manga/anime series. Otherwise, you shall be very confused.

---------------------------------

Just Because, It Doesn't Mean
A Prince of Tennis Oneshot
Written by PynkPlayar

---------------------------------

The classmates, the senpais, the family --I swear, they all got me misunderstood here. It's beginning to get on my nerves! Are you freakin' kidding me? Upon getting to Japan, I was speedily labeled with adjectives. I don't quite understand how those adjectives got associated with me, but I'm here to clarify guys. And also, my actions: puh-leez, people! Could you interpret them any more incorrectly? Just because I'm Echizen Ryoma, it doesn't mean I'm what I appear to be.

Just because I show no emotion, it doesn't mean I'm emotionless.
There's a big difference between hiding your emotions and being completely void of them. So, I'm not very good at expressing myself. What do you want me to do, write a poem? Sorry, I'm not too into the whole literature thing. I express myself on the courts, people. End of that.

Just because I don't appear to like girls, it doesn't mean I'm asexual, gay, or whatever else you people wanna come up with.
What do you want? I'm twelve. Honestly, I don't care about those moronic magazines my father ogles. I don't even get girls. I have a cousin and a mom, yeah, but it's not the same. No way no how am I gotta degrade myself in anyway for a girl. Why should I? What am I suppose to do, drabble all over a girl and hammering her with compliments? "Oh (insert girl's name), you're so pretty. And cute. And funny. You make me feel all fluffy!" Ha ha. No. Any girl who wants me to act like that --more like you make me wanna gag. Sorry, nothing personal to you girls who are into that stuff. It just doesn't float my boat here.
And who said you need to have a "love interest?" Hey, if it isn't necessary for survival, I'm out. End of that.

Just because I don't talk to you, doesn't mean I don't like you.
Lemme tell all you folks out there. The first thing I did as a wee little tot (Don't start "aww"-ing me here, guys, trying to prove a point. Erase any mental image forming of baby Ryoma, okay?) was not talk --oh no, my idiotic father didn't feel that talking was all that important, now did he-- but play tennis. I basically just gurgled and drooled while aimlessly swinging some play tennis racket. It's what I did (I know this from being forced to watch home videos). By the time I learned how to talk, it seemed unnecessary. The first way I learn to express myself was by playing tennis. And mind you, Ryoma Echizen (or Echizen Ryoma, same difference) does not enjoy random change. He will not tolerate it; he will not be swayed by it. End of that.

Just because I point something out, it doesn't mean it's negative or bad.
I'm sick of people interpreting my words, hearing whatever they want. I told her that it was her fault for me missing the tournament. Well, I'm not too into fibbing so I told her the truth. And she looks positively depressed! Why? Just because I told her it was her fault, doesn't mean I was mad or anything.
And look, if I tell you "your hair is too long," I'm being practical. Who said I didn't like it? Who said I thought it was ugly? No one. I, being a devotee to tennis, am just interjecting what I believe is best if one would like to pursue a career in the life-long sport. Don't spaz.
Isn't it my job to correct your mistakes anyways? Every time I coach her, I get a dejected face after the training session. So I critiqued you. It's what I'm supposed to do. Good coaches will not shower you with good points. If I did that, then one would be so blinded by their achievements and prowess, adding the bad points would bring them down even more. Plus, no one needs to get a big head here. If I kept complimenting her, then she would get a big head. Not good. Only I can have a big head, 'cuz I have the skills to back it up. Don't be hating, I'm just not gonna lie to you.
That day for racket restringing, I told her that I thought she was talking more than usual one day. And what happens? She bursts into tears. What. The. Heck. Why? Who knows? I told her she was talking more than usual. I just noticed it, alright? Then everyone (well, specifically Momo-senpai) hordes me, telling me "you should apologize" and "wah, wah, wah, blah." Apologize for what? Pointing out that she was talking more? It's not that it was a bad thing or anything. Everyone just assumes such. I was feeling awkward. What am I suppose to say to everything she kept talking about? I don't do small talk. My tennis racket is my microphone. End of that.

Just because I don't smile, it doesn't mean I'm angry, mad, scary, etc.
People seemed to be intimidated by me. Sometimes it has its pluses, but other times not so much. When that girl talks to me, sometimes she looks at me as if... as if I'm the Grinch who stole Christmas! Well you know what? I am no Grinch, I love Christmas, and I'm just another freshman. Just another guy. She can talk to anyone else, but me: "R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-ryoma-kun." After stuttering endlessly, she can finally spit out my name. Is it really that hard and bad to be around me? I don't think I did anything, but I feel like I did. What does it take for this girl to just be normal around me? She can talk to other people, alright. But me, it's like I'm the Grimm Reaper, swinging around a scepter. I can see where she gets it: Grimm's got a hood, I got a hat; Grimm's got a scepter, I got a tennis racket... but still! That doesn't justify anything!

Just because I don't say thanks, it doesn't mean that the appreciation isn't there for her supporting me at every match.
Just because I don't say she is pretty, it doesn't mean I don't think so.
Just because I don't say her cooking is delicious, it doesn't mean I don't like it.
Just because I don't say "Are you okay," it doesn't mean I'm not concerned.
Just because I don't say thanks, it doesn't mean that I didn't appreciate the effort for tending to my wound. I'm just sort of in the middle of a match.
Just because I don't say anything about your tennis balls with my face, it doesn't mean I'm a tad-bit flattered. I said a tad-bit, mind you.

Just because I can't and don't say things, it doesn't mean that I don't want to show you how I feel.
But how...

Actions speak louder than words.

I'm going to make her see how I feel. How I think about her. I'll give her something to show her. There's no way this can go wrong.
...
What the heck do girls like for gifts? I don't think gift-giving for her is the same for Nanako or Mom...

Who else is very important to me?
But of course!
When ever I want to show him I care, this is what I give him...

-----------------------

"Sakunoooooo-chaaaaan! "
"T-Tomoka chan?"
"Don't think I didn't see that, because I did! Ryoma gave you something didn't you? Is it a gift? Is it, is it?"
"Well...uhhh, I guess so?"
"Open it, open it!"
"Alright..."
"..."
"..."
"... Sakuno-chan... what is that?"
"... I think... I think it's a cat toy..."

FIN


------------------
A/N:
I basically just wrote this all in one sitting! I had a lot of funning in Ryoma perspective. Can you tell? I also enjoyed brainstorming the last scene. Hee hee, I thought it was cute. Anyways, reviews, reviews, reviews! I want them all! Even if it's one word, I want to know how you felt after reading this, your response, your comments, your feelings, etc.
Unlike Ryoma here, you guys can express yourself with words! Right, right? ;)
Thanks for reading!!