Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ On The Top of The World ❯ On The Top of The World ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Don't own Prince of Tennis!

Summary: Someone pondered what would be left for Echizen Ryoma after he beat his father and became the best tennis player? [TezuRyo] one-shot

A/N: Got inspiration from the anime. "What will be waiting for him at the end of that tunnel?" said Tezuka (during Ryoma vs Shinji match) Silly buchou; it's you of course! 

--------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

I was panting as I dropped myself in a nearby bench; I took my glasses off and wiped my sweaty face with a white towel. My breath was harsh after a long and very tiring match though in the end I was lost. No one but him ever beat me in my whole entire tennis career. Only Echizen Ryoma who was able to do so, true he was lost to me in the beginning, but in only several years or so he has grown into a very strong player who could stand proud on the top of the world.

Before even we were twenty-year old, we have become pro-tennis players. No one was shocked with the fact knowing how good we were for our level. In our early twenties he and I have entered many world tournaments and won. From Grand Slam and Wimbledon to Olympic, both of us would win in turn. If I won the gold medal then he would get the silver and vice versa. The competition between us was the most waited one. The world crowned us The King and The Prince of Tennis which was complained by him since why was he the one who became the Prince not me. Secretly, I was agreed with it since he always be the little Prince of my heart.

No one, even he, knew that I have had my eyes on the small tennis prodigy since the day I saw him from the window of my class. It was all started almost twelve years ago when I challenged him a game in particular clay renovated Court of Haruno University. Enthralled by his ability, strength, power, determination, and beauty; I finally realized my feeling for him; that I have fallen for my dark green-haired kouhai. Only the sound of trains rushing by was heard when I told him to be the pillar of Seigaku. I knew since the beginning that he'd succeed so I decided and wanted to be a part of his remarkable journey in tennis. I also realized that it'd be his first loss ever and severely too. But I have to do it even if I have to sacrifice my arm and my future in tennis otherwise he might not end up like now. He might not become the best tennis player in the world and beat his father which was the cause why did play tennis in the first place.

Talking about his father, three days ago I watched his match against his father. After all these years of hard works and experience finally he has beaten his father. His father was playing with left hand but still he was able to counter all the attacks directed to him with such wonderful techniques. His game was almost flawless. It was a private game which only close friends watched; it lasted for almost three hours. In the end of the game he remained standing still full of pride when insultingly he uttered `Mada Mada Dane' toward his father. The expression in his face was full of satisfaction, happiness, pride, but there was also a tinge of sadness. The others, who watched the game, were confused why he was sad despite the fact he has won against a legendary tennis player `Samurai Nanjiroh'. They didn't know exactly what the reason of him playing tennis was.

I want to beat someone in tennis. That's why I play tennis.

He said once to me. And now, ever since that day, I've been chewing a great worry inside me. How if he quitted tennis since his ultimate goal was finally achieved. There'd be anything left after for him. Somehow in the corner of my heart I wished that he didn't win against his father, cruel, I knew. Because I didn't want him to stop playing with me since he always asked practiced matches with me albeit he has beaten me more than I beat him nowadays in order to defeat his father. I was selfish, I knew. But I didn't want to lose him since only because of tennis he would give a damn to me. Tennis was the only thing that bonded us even still in a term of partner and ex-captain. Therefore, the only solution of my problem was to ask him directly about this. What was he going to do next when there was nothing left for him anymore?

Sat up in the bench, I diverted my eyes to my secret desire for years who was sitting nest to me with towel covering his eyes and his breath was as peaceful as ever. Others might think he was sleeping but I knew he wasn't since we have known each other for years.

"Echizen?"

"Hn?"

"What are you going to do next… in the future?"

He took his towel off his face and golden eyes opened looking at me curiously, "In the future? What do you mean, Tezuka-san?"

"I mean in your tennis career in the future." Suddenly I felt my face warm and a blush started creeping up my cheek, I realized my question sounded like asking him about his future life and related things which were private. "After defeating your father, are you going to quit tennis?" I continued.

He paused pondering my question carefully, great, why did I ask again? How about if his answer was the one I've expected before! And for the first time in my life, I was afraid of such a simple answer,

"Why do you think I'll quit?" He raised an eyebrow.

Now, that was unexpected! "Because you've achieved your only goal in tennis by defeating Echizen-san!" I wanted to kick myself for being such a persistent idiot.

He frowned, "What make you think that was my only goal?"

I was confused; I knew I was supposed to feel relief that we'd still be spending time together though only for playing tennis. "You have any other goals?" I asked him curiously.

He folded his arm in the back of his head resting on the bench, "Actually, because of that, I might be able to achieve the last goal in my life!"

Last goal? So he has another reason for not quitting tennis; that was weird! I never knew this before. "Aah… really? And what it would be?"

"Do you want to know?" He said in a mocking tone, I nodded, and then he gestured with his index finger for me to come closer. "I'll tell you!"

I twitched but didn't know why I obeyed leaning closer to him. And what he did next was very unpredictable. He pressed his wet luscious lips against mine. It was just a slight touch of lips but enough to send jolt all over my body and made me frozen in my seat, eyes widen in shock. When finally we broke the kiss, I saw something in his eyes that I never seen before.

He was smirking, "You, Kunimitsu-kun!"

-owari-

--------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Bad? Not good? Review and tell me kay! [M.R.]