Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ There for You ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"There for You"

A _Price of Tennis_ Fanfiction

By Andrea Readwolf [andrea_readwolf @hotmail.com]

Chapter: 1/1

Rating: G

Pairings: Taka-Fuji

Genre: drabble

Warnings: Characters are written in character according to author's interpretation.

Spoilers: the Tezuka-shoulder-Germany thing... if that can still be considered a spoiler...

Summary: How far would you go for a friend?

Disclaimer: Tennis no Ohjisama, characters and settings are the property of Konomi Takeshi.

Date: August

Status: complete

Word Count: 417

"There for You"

The first week, Fuji was fine.

The second week, Fuji was a little stressed.

By the third week, Fuji was dangerous.

Not to others, but to himself.

Takashi knew it wasn't his place. He shouldn't go sticking his nose into other people's business, but this was Fuji, and while the Golden Pair Fuji and Takashi were not--nor were they that exclusive--they *were* still partners.

And they were good partners, too, and--Takashi hoped--they were friends. And friends were there for each other, right? That's part of what it meant to be a friend and a partner. You were there for each other. On and off the court. Just like when they played tennis together, Takashi would be there to help Fuji win the game.

But...

"Ah, Fuji?"

"Mm?" the smiling teen turned back to face him as all the other club members continued to file off the courts. "What is it, Taka-san?"

"I--I just want you to, ah, to know, that, well, if you... you know, ever wanted to talk to someone...or, well, maybe not talk, but, well... not be alone, while Tezuka's away getting his shoulder healed up and all, or, well, even afterwards, when he finally gets back, because well, if you ever just don't want to be by yourself or something, well, there will always be a plate of wasabi sushi ready for you at my place."

By the time Takashi managed to spit all that out, he was so embarrassed he couldn't even look at Fuji directly, but instead, he was staring more in the vicinity of their tennis shoes.

"Taka-san..."

The look on Fuji's face was a blend of hurt and shock before he could hide it away behind a placid, smiling face.

Tentatively, Takashi reached out and brushed an errant bang away from Fuji's eyes.

"All I mean to say is--I know, I -- understand. And--I'm here for you, if--no, when-- you need someone," Takashi tried again, fingers lingering along side Fuji's cheek.

It was the smallest of gestures--a slight press against Takashi's fingers as Fuji's eyes slit shut once more, and then Fuji stepped back out of Takashi's immediate reach.

"You know me so well," he said, smiling up at Takashi. "I never could resist wasabi sushi and some good company."

"Then don't be a stranger," Takashi gently chided him. "Come over anytime."

"Ah. I will. I... promise," Fuji said, following after the departed club crowd. "And, Takashi?

"Thank you."

Takashi smiled.

~~Fin~fin~~

Zan: Ahhh now that was a development I hadn't anticipated, but since it's Fuji …