Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Silent Prince, Perfect Collection 1 ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

Five years passed since Genji decided to live with Aoi's family. San Miaka was the best mother he could ask for, Mr. Yamcha the best father (even though he was hardly at home), and Aoi became his little sister. Soon, he became familiar with the other priestesses on the mountain and he was given more friends to be with. One of his best friends was San Rhapsody's stepson, Satoshi. There were more friends Genji had, and they all hung out at the Eboshi hot springs for dates. Genji avoided the activity; he was too shy to get a girlfriend himself.

He was apprenticed under a priestess named Battle Master Natasha. Natasha taught him the art of combat. Genji and his guardian spirit had a natural sense of fighting and Miaka encouraged him to study defense and the ancient arts of battle.

"It's in your blood." Miaka explained. "Your mother was one of the best warriors on the mountain, next to Rhapsody."

The mountain historian, San Sakuya also schooled Genji, and he was taught only the essentials. He learned to read and write so that he could write down what he wanted to say. He also took art lessons to help him draw better. He learned history, mythology, and geography; all of which, were his favorite subjects. Math, however, made his head spin. He loved studying and learning new things, and sometimes his guardian spirit would tutor him. When it came to test taking, however…Genji didn't do so well. He usually took drastic measures to pass his tests.

Guardian spirit, I need your help.

<You're using me to cheat?!>

No, I'm not. I just need help.

<You shouldn't be calling on me unless you need serious help.>

But I seriously do need help! I need the answer to this question!

<…>

Can I at least get a hint?

<No.>

Aw, dammit…

<You watch your language and take your math test!>

/|\

Genji was also leading a healthier life under Miaka. His apprenticing gave him plenty of exercise, and being outdoors gave him some sun. Also, Miaka made sure he ate plenty of food and never went hungry. He also took baths everyday, which made his skin soft and his hair shine. Since Genji had no need for frequent hair cuts (especially from a knife), he let his hair grow out long and spiky and a sunny shade of blond. He wanted to dye his hair white like Moro-sama's fur, but Miaka gave him a forbidding look. Genji soon tossed the idea. His hair had enough artificial treatment already.

The wolf gods fascinated Genji. He knew that long ago, there was three wolves on the mountain, and was being killed off at the time. Now, six thousand years later, there were hundreds of wolves on each of the five civilized mountains of the Wolf Jaw. They weren't the dog-sized kind either, the smallest of the full-growns he knew of were as big as him. The youngest puppies came up to his knee, and were no smaller. The wolves enchanted him, and he had great respect for all of them.

The wolves respected him too, oddly enough. Genji discovered that he had a strange way of talking to them. He found that he could give messages through eye contact…and that wolves and even the Shishi Gami had the power to do the same. Moro-sama was stunned when Genji used that power towards her.

**Good afternoon, Moro-sama!**

The elderly wolf barked in fear at Genji for a moment before calming down.

"What was that?" she asked in confusion. "Where did you learn to do that?!" she demanded.

**Learn? I discovered it. No one taught me. Perhaps I had this power all along.**

"No, you couldn't have. No one is born knowing the language of the Gods."

**The Language of the Gods? What's that?**

"It is a language spoken by Mononoke gods through their eyes. It is difficult for a human to understand the language, but it can be learned. No one is born knowing the language, not even a god; it must be taught."

**I don't know where I could have learned this language…**

"Perhaps your mother taught you before she died."

Moro-sama lay on the floor of her den, resting her head between her two front paws. Genji sat next to her head, patting the side of her face and looking into one of her giant eyes.

**Moro-sama…I've heard so much about my mother…everyone loved her and respected her as a strong and wise woman. I learned where she came from, why she became a priestess, and what she was like…but I have heard nothing about my father…**

"…"

**Moro-sama, who is my father? You must know**

"Your birth was a miracle, Genji. Your mother didn't have a husband or a mate. She was a virgin when she had you.

"?!?!???"

"I do suspect, however, that the man she loved found some way to give her a child. That man may be the closest thing you have to a real father. I know Yamcha-san treats you well enough…"

**Yamcha is always away playing baseball games in China! Moro-sama, please tell me! Who was my father?!**

"Many speak fondly of your mother. Her memories bring back joy, laughter, and smiles. Her lover, however, brings back sadness, shame, and tears. They do not speak of him because he was not a man of his loyalty. At the peak of their romance, he betrayed and left your mother, destroying any future they had together."

**What?! How could he do such a thing?!**

"…"

**Where is he now?!**

"He is dead to us. Genji, do not ask any more of him. He was not a man to be proud of."

Genji nodded. Moro would not tell him anymore.

I know I had a father…but no one will tell me about him…

Not even the wolf I trust most…

"Genji!" a young voice called. Genji looked up to see a young, white furred wolf as big as him bound into the den. It was Yume, grown big enough for a human to sit on her back and ride around on her like a horse. She and Genji had become very fast friends. Genji got up from Moro-sama's side, and went to his wolf friend. Yume licked his face as he patted her head and scratched behind her ears.

Even though he was spending time with his most trusted wolf, the man his father could have been was the only ting on his mind.

/|\

Genji rode Yume into the Eboshi city limits. The town was rather quiet, not very many people were walking the streets, and the usual town noise was low. Genji felt as though something was wrong. Yume was turning her head left and right, smelling around the town for any new aromas. She was keeping unusually quiet, which meant she didn't find anything interesting she could smell. Genji just concentrated on going home.

Soon, his biggest admirer rushed to him.

"Genji-san!"

Running to Yume's side to look up at Genji was nine-year-old San Toki, San Rhapsody's daughter. The little girl had a lot of her mother in her: tanned skin and black eyes. However, she had green hair and was lanky, like her father. Rhapsody was married to an ex-dragon priest named Biso. They had been married long before Genji was born, and they lived with Satoshi, Biso's son from a previous marriage, and the daughter they had together, Toki. The little girl was so obsessed with Genji, that she had pronounced the boy her future husband.

He smiled at her, and helped her up onto Yume's back. Toki made herself comfortable on her spot in front of Genji, then launched into her day as Genji walked her home. The little girl was suppost to be home, not stalking him on the open streets. She talked about her schooling and training and how bored she was getting with it. Then, she launched into what she the wedding day to be like and how in love with him she was…

Genji was blushing very hard. He was not getting married to Toki. Not that he would rather die…but she was just way too young!

Satoshi was waiting for his little sister by the front door to his house. He stood up from where he sat as Genji carefully lowered Toki to the ground.

"There you are!" Satoshi scolded his little sister. "How many times has dad told you not to go wandering off like that to see Genji?! He hates it when you hang out with him."

"Sorry!" Toki called unappologetically, and she rushed inside the house. Satoshi shook his head, swinging his green bangs in front of his eyes and he smiled at Genji.

"Hey man, waz up?" he greeted.

Genji gave him a thumbs up.

"And how about you, Yume-sama? How are you?"

"I'm fine." Yume announced, panting happily. Satoshi nodded, then looked at Genji.

"Hey, dad's in a bad mood today. You better high tail it out of here before he even looks at you. I'll meet you and the guys at the hot springs later today, 'kay?"

Genji nodded. He understood Sir Biso's problem. Biso was in love with Masquerade before he married Rhapsody. He was jealous of Genji, since the boy should have been Biso's. However, Masq wasn't in love with Biso, and she continually refused him. He was probably still in love with that woman today, and just wouldn't admit it…

After Satoshi went back into the house, Genji rode Yume home. Yume trotted off back to the den as Genji entered his house. Aoi was the only one home, playing into a flute and reading the sheet music in front of her. She was certainly getting better at the flute. He waved "hi" at her, and went into his room.

He sat cross-legged on the bed, and bent his head over slightly. Slipping easily into a meditative state, he called to his guardian spirit.

Guardian, please help me.

<Finally thinking of your old man now, eh?>

I have always thought of him…I just don't know who he was. Do you know who he is?

<Of course. Everyone knows your dad, Genji.>

Then why doesn't anyone tell me about him?! I don't even know his name! Was my mother so loved that they hated him for leaving her?!

<Genji, it's not what he did to your mother. It's what he did to others long before he even met your mother. He had such an evil reputation that others were too scared to speak of him. But your mother loved him nevertheless.>

Guardian…tell me his name. The least I must know is his name.

<Alright. If that's all you want to know…>

Genji braced himself. With just one name, he could find out everything for himself. His father would no longer be a forbidden mystery.

<His name was…>

Suddenly, Genji's heart lurched, and he grabbed his chest. He felt the world spin and himself hit something hard on his shoulder. His breathing seemed to stop, and his vision seemed to blur. He realized he was on the floor, and quickly pulled himself with his hands toward what he figured was the doorway. When he got into the main room, he heard Aoi's flute squeak in surprise and her footsteps running to him.

"Genji!" she screamed, turning him over on his back. "Hold on! I'll be right back!" He heard her run away. With no one around him, he panicked. His heart felt like it was on fire! He tossed and turned on the floor, squinting his eyes shut and clenching his teeth. No air was going into his lungs and he felt like he was falling down a deep hole. He thought he was going to explode!

Then…

"Evil spirits, be gone!"

He felt like he landed from his fall, and Genji snapped out of his pain. He breathed heavily, hearing his hoarse throat. His body relaxed and the pain was completely gone. He looked up at Aoi's worried face to see her smiling in relief. She leaned over and hugged him.

"Oh, Genji! You're alright!"

He noticed a Shinto scroll over his heart. The Japanese script read "purify." Aoi had remembered her training as a medicine woman and had slammed the scroll on his chest. It saved his life, he felt. He hugged her back.

Suddenly, the scroll began to crumble and smolder on its own. Genji gasped, drawing Aoi's attention to it. It folded into a black ball as though it was being burned, and it did not stop until it became a small mound of black ash.

"What the heck?!" Aoi wondered. Then, she looked at Genji. "Genji, don't move. I'm going out to get mom." Aoi hurried out the door and into the town to get San Miaka. Genji closed his eyes and relaxed on the floor.

Guardian, can you hear me?

There was no answer.

Guardian, are you alright?

No response.

Guardian?! Where are you?!