Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Bringer of Unity ❯ The Battle of Iron Town ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 4 The Battle of Iron Town
 
San and Ashitaka tore through the forest. “What is it?” Ashitaka yelled in panic as he chased after his wife. “What is coming?”
 
San continued her way, not turning around. “Some kind of army!” she yelled, “It's coming here to destroy everything. We must warn Iron Town to prepare for war.”
 
Ashitaka gasped, and nodded, “Yes, we must. Turn around, and arise the elder spirits. I shall prepare Iron Town for battle. How long do we have?”
 
San stopped, and looked up at the midday sun, “They will be here by nightfall.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
The doors swung inward, opening up a great chamber. Kira gawked as she slowly walked in. “Didn't expect this.”
 
The chamber was huge. The ceiling was domed, and completely covered with pictures of animals and plants. It looked like a still life of a huge forest, so many aspects and things were in it. There were six walls, each with a huge black symbol and different pictures behind each one. One had a giant symbol, and pictures of boar surrounding it. Another had eagles. Each wall had an individual emblem, and its corresponding creature. In front of each wall was a stone altar. Plain and simple, cobwebs covered each one as if it hadn't been disturbed for years. In the very center of the room a single small fountain stood. It's been dry for years.
 
Kira slowly walked in, complete shock grasping her now feeble mind. She walked to the closest wall and brushed away the webs and dirt to reveal the familiar wolf symbol.
 
“What . . .” she stammered, staring all around, “is all this?” She looked at the altar directly ahead of the wolf wall. The altar rose from the ground and opened at the top; jagged spikes surrounded the opening. Kira looked inside, and saw a pool of water sitting in it. She ran her fingers in the cold liquid, finding nothing out of the ordinary with it.
 
“What is all of this?” Kira repeated herself. She walked around the room, looking at each of the walls. Each one had a picture she was very familiar with. Wolf, Eagle, Wildcat, Boar, Serpent, and Ape, these were the six main tribes of beasts that guarded the ancient forests that gods lived in.
 
Each Beast Tribe had their own section of the world to protect. Moro, her grandmother and mother of San, was chosen specially to protect the Spirit of the Forest, the rest of the Wolf Clan was somewhere else. Kira sighed; she had no idea where the rest of the wolves were. Gendo and Kaji were the only wolves she has ever met and known, besides Moro.
 
Kira stared at the final thing in the room, the fountain. She approached it cautiously, and looked inside. It was dry; there wasn't a drop of water in it.
 
What and odd room. Kira thought, I wonder the point of it is . . . . “
 
This is the True Domain of the Forest Spirit
 
Kira leapt back, her hands already holding throwing knives. She knew she heard something, but it felt like the voice spoke directly in her head. As if she heard it with her mind, not ears. A bright light emitted from the fountain. Out of it came a ghastly image of a deer, except it had bigger then normal antlers with many points. And the face of the deer was a human face.
 
Kira gawked at the ghost, “The . . . the . . .The Spirit of the Forest!”
 
The spirit shook its head, No. The Forest Spirit is dead. I am just a memory of it.
 
Kira put her blades away, “What is this place.”
 
The spirit nodded, This is the true domain, a place of contact. This is where the Spirit was able to communicate with the other guardian tribes.
 
Kira looked at the memory of the Forest Spirit intently, “What are you here for? Why were you left behind?”
 
The Forest Spirit left me here. I have been waiting for you young Kira.
 
Kira glared at the ghost, “What do you mean waiting for me? You had no idea that I would ever be here. Or that I would be born! You were dead even before my father and mother got married!”
 
The spirit laughed silently, and shook his head, No Kira. The Forest Spirit knows all. He knew of your existence, even before your parents did. You have been part of his great plan for some time.
 
Kira was thoroughly confused, “What are you talking about?”
 
The spirit nodded, Allow me to explain. There was once a time, when the land was covered in forests. Man and beasts alike lived in complete harmony.
 
Kira nodded, “Yeah, I heard this story. Then the humans came up, and destroyed it all.”
 
Not exactly. The thing that arose was the Empire, or more specifically, the Emperor himself. In that time, the Emperor sought all. He changed the humans to their today way. The ones who refused to change; he banished to the west.
 
Kira gasped, “The Emishi!”
 
The spirit nodded, Yes. Through the years, the lands changed. Forests were destroyed, human settlements were built, and the land was destroyed. Animal spirits started to die off, making the creatures dumb beasts. And then there was the war. The one of the remaining Animal Tribes and the Humans, one that will end very soon.
 
Kira sighed, “Yeah, I know all this, but what does it have to do with me?”
 
The spirit smiled, I said the Forest Spirit knew of you. That was partially untrue. He knew that you would eventually exist. The day when Ashitaka came to his forest, scarred and cursed from the Demon of Hatred, he knew it was only a matter of time.
 
Kira shook her head, “But you still haven't explained, what am I?”
 
You young Kira? You are the key. You are the one that shall make peace between the humans and beasts and end this war. You are the Bringer of Unity.
 
Kira gaped, “Are you crazy! I can't do that! You must have made a mistake; I am just one person. I have no power, I am nobody. This is a job for someone else.”
 
NO! You are the only qualified person in this world. You are living proof of the unification of the three species.
 
Kira looked down, murmuring, “Human, Spirit, and . . . . . . . . . .Demon.”
 
The ghost nodded, Yes. Only you can do this.
 
She sighed, “The Spirit of the Forest knew that if Ashitaka and San had a child, it would be a part of all three races. How could I not realize that? But I still can't do it! I am only one person.”
 
The spirit spoke, Yes young Kira. But perhaps it is a difficult task. Maybe you do need help. You should gather the rest of you.
 
Kira looked up, “What rest?”
 
The rest of the ones who have united with spirits.
 
Kira stood in amazement; “There are others that have animal spirits?”
 
The ghost almost laughed, Of course! Do you think you are the only one?
 
Kira shook her head, “I just never knew.”
 
The ghost smiled, Yes. Destiny calls Kira. Do you accept?
 
Kira stared at the ground for a moment, then said, “What must I do?”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Ashitaka, Toki, San, and Koroku knelt at the wall top. The sun was almost completely under the horizon, still giving off its last rays of light. Clouds swelled in the skies, forecasting the future event.
 
“We have gathered, and prepared everyone we could.” Toki whispered. Even with its quietness, their voices carried through the whole town. Everyone was silent with nervousness.
 
San nodded, “I have spoken with the animals, bears, boars, apes and all sorts volunteered. A good three hundred or so.”
 
Koroku shook, “But is it enough? Ashitaka?”
 
Ashitaka stayed silent, staring off in the distance. San patted him on the shoulder, “Honey.”
 
Ashitaka sighed, “I don't know. Maybe we should get everyone out of here. The animals too.”
 
Toki was furious, “And abandon all we worked so hard to achieve. NO, we stay and fight. We must uphold ourselves.”
 
San ignored Toki, and continued to look at her husband, “What are you thinking? Is it Kira? She hasn't come back yet.”
 
Ashitaka shook his head, “No, she is strong. I am worried for the people. I don't think this is a good idea.”
 
A horn blasted, catching everyone's attention. Toki stood up, “Well, its doesn't matter now. It all begins now.”
 
The sun died off, leaving all in the darkness. Rain began to fall as Ashitaka stood up. Off in the distance he saw the army, marching towards Iron Town.
 
The rain turned to a torrent. Ashitaka grabbed his blade, “Let the Forest Spirit give us mercy.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
“What must I do?” Kira asked.
 
The spirit spoke very quickly, You must go to each of the Animal Tribes, and speak with the Grand Elders. You must convince each of them to stop all fighting with the Empire. You must get them to unite with whatever nearby humans there are.
 
“Wait, wait!” Kira stammered, “You are saying the impossible. There is no way I could convince the beasts to ally with the humans! Their hatred is too great!”
 
You must, the spirit stated, That is the only way that you can bring the Empire down. Beasts can't do this alone. You must unite every human and beasts out in this war that is against the Empire, and take it out with one final swoop. Only then can there be peace.
 
“What do you mean one final swoop?”
 
I mean one final battle, with beast and man alike fighting for one goal. They must completely destroy the Empire, or it will start all over again. While the battle is going, you must personally kill the Emperor. He is the source of all this evil.
 
“This is impossible!” Kira stated, “I can't even dream of a chance to do this! How can you say all this like you're certain that I will?”
 
But you must! For if you fail, the consequences will be horrible.
 
The air shimmered. As the surroundings changed, Kira clapped her hands over mouth to stop from screaming.
 
This is the future if you fail young Kira.
 
The sky, the land, everything was covered in ash, the future if she failed, where fire burned the world. No vegetation existed. A few scrawny pheasants gnaw at a few dry bones for food. No animals could be seen. No birds cried out, no deer galloped. Humans had become degraded to vile beasts, pathetic, weak, and mad with hunger. The scene moved to a city, where there were a few farms with food, but all of it went to the Empire. They distributed it how they wanted. The rich gained all, the poor got poorer. Casinos, bars, many more places to spend money filled the streets as the few lucky men with money had fun.
 
It took Kira all the strength she had to not cry. This was too much for her, she couldn't take this kind of pressure! She couldn't take this task. So much is now on her shoulders and it was bringing her down.
 
The spirit nodded solemnly, This is why you must not fail. The Emperor will bring this to us all if he succeeds.
 
This will aid you. The spirit spoke. A small metallic rod materialized in front of Kira. She gently took it, and examined it.
 
This was made for you Kira. It will appear at your will. Use it on your journey.
 
Kira did not respond, she stared off at nothing, her eyes glazed over. The spirit spoke to her, do not worry. Your journey has already been written. Do well Kira.
 
Kira knelt weakly, “Why me? Why must I stand alone in the face of all evil?”
 
The spirit sighed; it is your choice Kira. And remember you will never be alone when you have this goal. Others will always follow. With that, the spirit disappeared; an echo of his final words was left in the room.
 
Kira gasped for air. Panic began to overcome her as she tried to think. I . . . don't know what to do. I . . .I must do this. But I don't even know where to begin. I must consult my parents.
 
Kira looked around for a way out. She sighed, and walked to the giant hole that opened to the forest outside the room where she fell. She shivered, partly because night has come and it was cold, but mostly because she was frightened.
 
I can get up there. She thought. Kira grabbed her chain, and swung it around. She threw it up and it caught hold of the ground. She smiled, and climbed up into the domain of the Spirit of the Forest. She could tell it was raining, but only a few drops made it through the canopy of the forest.
 
Only the sounds of the water could be heard as Kira wrapped up her chain, and put it back in belt. Suddenly something dawned on her.
 
Where are all the animal sounds???
 
She strained her ears, but heard nothing. Something is wrong!
 
Faintly she sensed something at Iron Town. She turned, and sprinted in that direction.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Smoke and ash rose from Iron Town. Kira stood on the hill overshadowing the village, and could not believe her eyes. The whole town was on fire; even from the distance she could hear the screams of pain and pleads. Thousands a men surrounded the town; even more was inside, massacring the innocent people inside.
 
Form the hilltop Kira saw the mounds of dead people, whose she did not know. She could see all the dead animals and she could hear the continuing sounds of battle.
 
Where did this army come from? Why is it attacking us? What should I do?
 
Rain fell harder to the ground, chilling Kira to the bone.
 
Am I too late?
 
Kira shook her head, “No. They can't be dead.” Kira grabbed two blades, and charged down at the army.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Ashitaka knelt with pain and exhaustion. His rest was brief for 4 more soldiers charged at him. He spun around, and swiped at their stomachs. His blade pierced their armor and they fell dead. San leapt to his side. She was also covered in sweat, soot, and blood.
 
“Is this it?” She asked, “Is this our end?” Tears swarmed out of her eyes as she gazed around.
 
Hundreds of dead people lied on the ground. Most of the town has died men, women, and children alike. All the animals were gone; their carcasses lie about, their fur singed. Very few of the Iron Townsfolk were still alive. Toki and Koroku still fought, husband and wife side by side. None others lasted any more time before being killed merciless. The town was completely destroyed. The flames licked every corner, turning all the black ash.
 
Ashitaka nodded, “This army was sent for only one reason, to entirely destroy Iron Town and its ways.” He ducked at an incoming blow, and shoved the blade in the attacker's chest. He pulled it out, and parried another. He traded blows before beheading the soldier.
 
San blocked a spear coming down at her head, but she felt her strength ebbing away. She fell to her knees as the soldier grinned. He kicked her blade away, and stomped her head into the ground.
 
“San!” Ashitaka screamed. Momentarily distracted, one soldier took advantage of it, and thrusted his sword at Ashitaka.
 
“Augh!” Ashitaka screamed. The blade jutted from his gut, blood dripped down his leg. He fell to the ground, feeling the blade slip out of him. He awaited the final blow.
 
Swwwp . . . . .Swwwp. The two soldiers above Ashitaka and San fell to the ground dead, small shuriken embedded in their heads. Kira leapt through the smoke, and swung her short blades around, beheading two soldiers. Jumping up to dodge a strike, she threw her blades at the attacker. He fell to the ground dead.
 
Kira came up to San and Ashitaka, “MOM!!” Kira gazed at her mother, tears swelling in her eyes; “She's still breathing!”
 
She turned to Ashitaka, “What is going on? Who is this army?”
 
Ashitaka lifted San's body off the ground, and cradled her. Blood dripped from her head as she breathed shallowly. Ashitaka looked up at Kira, “I . . .don't know. It must be the Emperor, he must have sent them.”
 
 
A single tear fell from his eye as he gazed down at his wife, his love. He gently hid San under a fallen plank. His eye of sorrow quickly turned to flames of hatred and anger. He grabbed his machete, and stood up. Ignoring all pains, he glared at the fresh batch of warriors charging them.
 
“Save whatever is left of the town, then run as fast as you can.”
 
With that, Ashitaka charged at the army.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
“It must be the Emperor, he must have sent them.”
 
The words spoken by Ashitaka struck through Kira. She didn't even notice what he said next, or him leaving. Only one thought ran through her mind.
 
It's beginning!!!
 
The end is coming; the Empire is taking over by eliminating the few humans who are peaceful with nature!
 
Kira shook with rage. The smoke swirled around her as the wind picked up. The rain fell around her, but didn't touch her. The ground shook, and her arm writhed with the worms.
 
I can't let this be allowed.
 
She felt the anger take over, the rage consume her, the hatred rule her, and she let it.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
The soldiers all gathered around Kira. They stared at her in fear and confusion. The rain didn't seem to touch her. And from her arm emanated spiritual purple worms. Suddenly she looked up. The soldiers jumped back in surprise, her eyes were not normal, and the eyes were like slits, but had another symbol in them.
 
Kira grabbed a thin metal pole from her belt. She held it in front of her.
 
“You bastards!” the sergeant shouted, “Don't just stand there, kill her!”
 
With the order, 20 men charged at her.
 
Instantly a huge staff appeared in her hands from the small pole. At one end, two huge blades shot out from it, one pointing out with the pole, the other pointing away, perpendicular to the pole. At the other end of the staff a huge scythe was there, balancing the 7-foot staff.
 
The 20 men died instantly. Kira spun the staff around at astonishing speeds, chopping people in half, slicing their stomachs and chests. No one could get near her.
 
Kira leapt up, and swung the staff around, killing the sergeant and his horse. She dodged an attack from a nearby soldier. She blocked another with the hilt of the staff; she kicked up breaking his neck.
 
“AAAAHHH!”
“RUN AWAY!!”
“SHE'S A DEMON!”
“RUN!!!”
 
The soldiers all fled from Kira, saving their pathetic lives. Kira heard a familiar scream, and sprinted towards it.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
On top of a burning wall, Toki fell to the ground, her sword slipped out from her weak grip. Koroku stood in front of her, rapidly firing arrow after arrow at the swarming army in front of him.
 
Kira leapt onto the wall, and swept the mass away with her new weapon. She spun around in circles, ignoring the cries of pain and fear from the dying fighters. She turned to Koroku,

“Are you okay?”
 
Koroku gasped for air; “We're fine, but what about Jeisu? She was at the main gate!”
 
Kira nodded, “I'll go find her. Can you hold?”
 
Koroku smiled, “We'll hold, go Kira.”
 
Kira turned towards the main gate, and ran towards it. Koroku looked over the edge of the wall. The sight of the hundreds of more fresh soldiers greeted him. He knelt at his wife's side,
 
“Let us pray. Perhaps a miracle will save us.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Jeisu tended the wounds of dying townsfolk. Very few were still alive. The ones that still stood used all their strength to reseal the gate doors, but the constant and persistent pounding of the ram reminded them of their imminent deaths.
 
Jeisu walked to another person, and started to wrap his wounds, but he hit her hands away, “It's no use. The army has ladders climbing over the wall, and that gate won't stand long. We will die soon. You are still able to walk, run Jeisu!”
 
Jeisu shook her head, “No. Iron Town is where I belong. I will stay here forever, always doing what I can.”
 
With that she tied a bandage onto the man's injured chest. He smiled, “You are devoted. Let heaven have a place for you.”
 
“Let's hope she doesn't have to go there.”
 
Kira's voice alerted Jeisu. She spun around and hugged her wailing, “Kira! I thought you were dead!”
 
Kira smiled weakly, “Jeisu, this is no place for you. Go to the east side of the town, there is an opening in the wall that the army is not using. Use it to escape to the forest. Quickly!”
 
Men and women got up and through their injuries, stumbled to the east. Kira turned to Jeisu, “What do you think you are doing? You are no fighter! Do you have any idea what would happen to your parents, or me if you died?”
 
Jeisu's eyes started to tear up, “I just wanted to help.”
 
Kira sighed, “C'mon, let's get . . . . . .”
 
Before Kira could finish the sentence, the gates burst open. Swarms of soldiers and men poured out through the small opening, and at Kira and Jeisu.
 
“JEISU, STAY BACK!!!” Kira cried. She pulled out her staff, and extended it to full length. She twirled it around, holding back the stream as much as possible.
 
“GO JEISU GO!”
 
The soldiers swarmed past Kira, and started to massacre the fleeing townspeople.
 
Jeisu stood frozen in fright. She just stared as one of the soldiers ran towards her.
 
“JEISU!!!!”
 
Kira cried out. Momentarily distracted someone slashed at her back, leaving a gaping gash. She spun around, clipping off the assailant, but tears flooded from her eyes. She watched as Jeisu's body fell to the ground.
 
Kira snapped. She felt the curse, the demon itself speak to her.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Do you want power?
 
I do.
 
Then accept me, and let us be one.
 
But you are evil. You will kill me.
 
What is more evil, the Empire, or I?
 
The . . .Empire.
 
Then let us fight together, so that we can reach our same goals.
 
You want unity with man and beast?
 
I do.
 
Why?
 
You will soon know Kira. Now let us together get vengeance!
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira rose her right arm. Somewhere in the background she heard someone shout her name, but she didn't care. She looked up at the army that still surrounded the village. She felt the worms swarm around her skin, and writhe around her. And like an explosion, they shot out everywhere.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
“KIRA . . . . . . .KIRA . . . . .DON'T DO IT!” Ashitaka shouted. He watched helplessly from a distance as Kira rose her arm. Suddenly, a flood of worms shot out from her, pouring into the army dissolving them like salt in water. The mass of worms surged towards him. He closed his eyes as they came.
 
But they never hit him. He peeped an eye open and saw in amazement that the worms were missing him completely, as if on purpose. Ashitaka looked around and was surprised to see the surge of worms was not touching any of the townspeople, dead or alive. The flood was careful to only destroy the army and its soldiers. Even the buildings stayed intact!
 
Ashitaka looked in the direction of his daughter; She must be controlling it! I don't know how, but she can control the demon!
 
The army very shortly disappeared.
 
And the sun rose . . . .
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira awoke in her father's arms. He smiled at her, tears falling from his eyes and wetting her face. “You saved us.”
 
Kira smiled, “Yeah.”
 
Ashitaka wiped away some water from the rain, “How did you . . . ?”
 
“Let's just say I made a deal with the devil.”
 
Ashitaka chuckled weakly. Kira looked up to him; “I spoke with the Forest Spirit.”
 
He glanced down at her, “And?”
 
“Apparently he wants me to solve this problem, me to bring unity.” Kira tried to laugh, but burst out in a series of coughs.
 
Ashitaka looked up at the rainbow forming in the sky, “I guess this means that you are leaving? Going out to save the world?”
 
Kira nodded, “Something like that.”
 
He laughed again, “Toki, Koroku, and your mother are the only other survivors.”
 
Kira tried to wipe the tears from her cheeks as her thoughts came to Jeisu, but she didn't have the strength to. Ashitaka wiped them away. Kira held in a sob,
 
“Let me tell them, kay?”
 
Ashitaka nodded, “Of course.”
 
He stayed silent for a few moments before saying, “Kira?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
Kira smiled, “I know . . . . . . . . me too.”
 
With that, Kira passed out.
 
Next chapter
 
Chapter 5 The leaving
 
 
Author's Notes: WOW, that was some chapter. Here I am 10:30 at night finishing it because I have it all planned out in my head and if I sleep I would forget it. I know 10:30 isn't late, but it is late for me to write cause I screw up on the grammar. Ask my editors! They corrected so much of my original that it was 2 pages longer!!! Let me mention my 2 editors now, they do most of my correcting. I thank them.
 
Now the story unfolds. Please, review!!!!!!! I take any type of critique, and I want people to criticize (unless you are someone I know, and you know who you are). See ya!