Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Bringer of Unity ❯ The new guardian of the forest ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3 Destiny Calls
 
A small man in dark robes entered the chamber. He walked up to the man in the throne, and said, “Your monarch; the lady has arrived.”
 
The Emperor smiled. In the shadows he beckoned with his hand, “Yes, let her in.” The attendant bowed, and left. Footsteps echoed as a one-arm figure walked into the room. The Emperor nodded, “Greeting Eboshi.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
San shivered. The air outside hadn't changed a bit as she sat in her chair, but the shiver ran through her violently. Ever since Moro; her mother; died, she became the Guardian of the Forest. This of course means she became a spirit. Her presence gives the forest it's magic, and the animals their intelligence. She soon realized she could never leave, or the forest would die.
 
But being spirit also gave her the power to feel with the forest; and now she feels the forest, the fear it is sensing. It must be just me she thought, quickly forgetting the earlier presence. She looked up at Ashitaka, seeing him preparing to help train Kira.
 
She has grown so much she smiled. “Go easy on her!” she yelled out to Ashitaka. Ashitaka nodded, and grabbed his blade.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
“Unng, errr!” Kira groaned. She fought to control her arm as the `worms' reached out from the scar. Finally the reaction stopped, and the arm became passive. A drop of sweat dripped off Kira as she stood up and sat on her bed. She looked at the scar, My parents told me stories of this demon of hatred. How it uses hatred by others to fuel it, and how my father survived its curse.
 
Kira lay back into her bed, When I was born; this mark wasn't there. But as the years passed, it appeared. I knew better then to tell them. I kept it a secret.
 
Kira looked at her arm, stroking the scar, now as smooth as her skin. It seems to get reactive whenever I feel resentment and hatred, but otherwise, it never does anything else. It just stays there, as if it is a part of me.
 
Kira stood up. “I mustn't keep my dear father waiting,” she said mockingly, “After all, I have a fight to win.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira stepped outside. She had just put on her fighting outfit. It was one of the few things she was proud of. It comprised of loose cloth pants and soft moccasins. She had a belt; which had on it smoke bombs, 6 short blades, and many throwing knives and shuriken. Besides weapons she also included an extremely light thin chain with a grappling hook at the end (compliments of Iron Town) which hardly weighed 5 pounds, and a few matches and flares. On top she wore a tight sleeveless shirt and had a shoulder belt she wore over it. On the belt she had even more shuriken and throwing knives. She had her dad's sleeves, and used it to cover her arms, especially with the scar. On her left arm she wore one of her prized possessions, a small thin steel bracer. Also one of the last things Iron Town made, it fit on the front of her arm. It was extremely light, and is claimed to be impenetrable from any other blade or weapon.
 
She nodded to her father, and drew her blades. Ashitaka smiled and shook his head, “No, today we shall practice going against an armed opponent, without a weapon for yourself. Stand ready to battle.” Kira scowled, and sheathed her swords. She bowed, and went into a stance. Ashitaka mimicked her, and charged.
 
Kira dodged left, rolling out of the way as Ashitaka sliced twice where she just was. Kira spun around to trip him, but he jumped up. Ashitaka struck at Kira, aiming for her head, but she slid back to miss it. She jumped in the air, and aimed a kick at Ashitaka's head, but he swerved and punched her midair.
 
Kira fell to the ground, her side hurting from the strike. “You cannot depend on strength,” Ashitaka stated flatly, “You have none, you must depend on your speed and skill. Now come and get me.”
 
Kira clenched her teeth in anger, and charged at Ashitaka. She strafed right to dodge a strike, and kicked at Ashitaka. He easily dodged the kick, and swung his blade at her stomach. Kira twisted around, the blade slicing at her tight shirt. Her twist swung her feet in the air, and she slammed her feet into Ashitaka's hands. Ashitaka let out a yell in surprise as his blade flew through the air and landed some feet away.
 
Ashitaka turned to Kira, “You surprise me, but I had many opportunities to kill you. You are sloppy and slow. Now try and hit me.” Kira glared at her father, he was pissing her off. She stood up straight, and beckoned with her hands, “Come and get me.”
 
Ashitaka sprinted towards her, and leapt in the air, and did roundhouse kick. Kira dodged back, and with all her strength punched at him. Ashitaka caught her fist easily. “Wha . . . What?” she exclaimed as he clenched her fist.
 
Ashitaka sighed, and kneed her in the stomach. As she fell to the ground, he lectured, “I told you that strength is not always the key. You will never do anything if this is how you fight.” Ashitaka turned around and slowly walked away.
 
Kira stood up, wincing from the pain in her stomach, but that didn't matter. Ashitaka was making her mad. Years of mistreatment and hardness swelled in her as one thought came to her, revenge. She dashed at him, fists tight.
 
Ashitaka smiled at her anticipated action, and spun around to kick her off guard, but she wasn't there! He turned around just in time to see her foot coming towards him. Ashitaka jumped back, and tried to strike back, but she was nowhere to be seen. “There you go!” he cried in enjoyment, spinning around in time to block her kick, “Now you are fighting with skill!” The fight continued.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
San sat in her chair, watching the two people she loved. It was amazing at how skilled her daughter had grown to be. After all, she thought, Kira does have some spirit inside of her, and some human. But Ashitaka is still better then her. San sat back to avoid the rays of sun in her eyes.
 
Oh how the years have gone by! She smiled. And so they had. 15 years ago, the Spirit of the Forest died, and the war here ended. Her and Ashitaka finally could live together in peace. At first Ashitaka lived with the Iron Townsfolk, but soon he moved in the forest with her.
 
For months the people of Iron Town didn't trust her, but soon they grew to like her, and all the animals of the forest. Soon animals with intelligence could walk into the town at anytime for food and play.
 
And I have changed as well San chuckled. It was hard for her to learn all of the human customs, words, and meanings of actions; such as public nudity. She would never understand as to why she should feel ashamed it. But there were also things she enjoyed, like her first kiss with Ashitaka. There were many things she learned, and soon started to live by. But through all of it, she never forgot her spirit ways and beliefs. She just did this to become closer with the one she loves.
 
And the Iron townspeople have changed as well. Over the years, the art of the rifle was forgotten since no more iron was mined. The people started to learn the arts of battle. Ashitaka and herself taught them all they could; and soon they learned from their own practice. Amazing discoveries were made. Toki turned out to be an expert sword fighter; she outranked all the other women greatly. Her husband, Koroku, surprisingly was the best archer Ashitaka claimed he had ever seen, even better then himself!
 
This change of culture also changed the attitudes of the people. Toki soon became a good and deep friend of San, San's first human friend besides the one she loved. And Gendo, San's older brother, became friends with Koroku. He said Koroku was an odd human, and though simple, had an interesting way of thinking. Kaji, San's younger brother, always in his free time would come and play with the children of Iron Town. Even Eboshi had a change of mind, and regularly spoke with the nearby Ape Tribe.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira cried out in rage as she kicked at her father in the stomach. Ashitaka smirked and side stepped out of the way. “You will always be weak,” He sternly said. He dodged another blow and kneed Kira in her stomach. Being the second time struck there, Kira fell to her knees and coughed up some blood.
 
Ashitaka chuckled, and kicked Kira again, “Get up.” he ordered.
 
Kira got up clutching her side, “I will beat you,” she gasped.
 
Ashitaka laughed, “You will never beat me, or anyone else. You are only a foolish little girl that dreams impossible dreams. You strike in anger and hatred, which shows how immature you are. You must learn to fight calmly.”
 
Kira cried out, and charged at Ashitaka, “My anger gives me strength!” she yelled as she sent a flurry of punches at him. Ashitaka blocked them, and disappeared. He reappeared behind her, and pushed her to the ground.
 
Kira fell hard. Dirt and dust flew in the air as she groaned in pain.
 
Ashitaka stepped on her back and said strictly, “You must learn to keep calm. Rage may give you power, but you lose your sense of self and skill. Only by being calm in the face of anything you may gain victory.”
 
Kira growled, and swiped at Ashitaka's face, but he caught her hand, “Anger and hatred cannot give you what you want.” Kira growled again, and slipped from under him, and stood back up. Ashitaka stepped back, and kicked at her, but she had already left the spot.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
San smiled. Ashitaka may seem cruel, but he is doing the right thing to teach Kira how to control herself. She cannot be as reckless as I was. She births the demon in her if she has no control. San looked at Kira. He must teach her. She glanced at her love, and for a second saw something in his eyes. Yet, there is something different about him. But ever since what happened to Yakual, he has never been the same.
 
Yakual was Ashitaka's best and most trusted friend. Raised together, it was a perfect example of human and creature harmony. But many years back, a little bit after the death of the Forest Spirit, there was a fire that threatened to destroy all of the surrounding lands. This was the first time the people of Iron Town and animals worked together for a shared cause. However during the fire a falling branch that broke off from the flames hit Yakual. He was knocked unconscious while trying to help aid other elk and deer. He never woke as the fire burned through him.
 
Ashitaka took it very personaly. He changed that day, never again the same calm and leading person. He seemed harder, and seemed to work Kira a little tougher then he should. He never again spoke Yakual's name. He forgot him, fleeing the distant memory.
 
San looked again at Ashitaka, but only to Kira he seems harsh. Everywhere else he is his normal self. It doesn't seem right, for Kira. San sighed, I hope she realizes he loves her.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Ashitaka smirked as he caught Kira's attack again. He spun her around and threw her on the ground. Kira landed in the dirt. She spat out some blood, and charged at Ashitaka, sending another flurry of punches at him. He jumped back, and spun around, roundhouse kicking her in her stomach.
 
“Uh!” Kira gasped as she flew back. She landed in a pile on the ground. Ashitaka smirked, “You will never be strong.”
 
Kira lay on the ground, thoughts of Ashitaka's words swarmed into her. You will never be strong You are weak You must learn to fight You have no control You are pathetic. You are no warrior. The thoughts of everything Ashitaka has done to her fueled her. Her hatred towards him took control as she slowly stood. She felt her right arm pulsate, she felt the strength flow into her.
 
Ashitaka smirked at Kira, “Your persistence his irritating. Let's end this.” He lunged towards, and swung his fist at her with extreme speed and strength. Kira raised her right arm, and caught Ashitaka's fist as if it was nothing.
 
Time stopped for a moment. The forest sat, complete silence hung over the place. San stood up in complete shock and surprise. Ashitaka just stood there. He was so surprised he couldn't believe his eyes. “Wha . . . . What???” Kira froze. She took her arm away from Ashitaka and just stood there.
 
The wind blew through the area, and not one person moved. Suddenly Kira cried out in pain as her arm convulsed and shook. Even through her sleeve the sight of the worms of hatred squirming was clear. Kira shook in fear and pain, and ran off into the forest.
 
“Kira!” Ashitaka shouted, “Kira!!!” San walked down to her husband, “No, let her be. She needs to deal with this on her own.”
 
Ashitaka looked down at San, “But if Gendo is right, she could be in danger! The curse she inherited from me could overwhelm her! She must learn how to control it!”
 
San shook her head, “No, let her learn herself.” They both stared off into the woods, “Let the Forest Spirit help her.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira kept running. Her arm was in immense pain, but she tried to ignore it and continued to run. Finally she came to water. She thrust her arm into the water and let the coldness seep into her.
 
“Unng!” she stared at her arm, trying to control it. The worms writhed, and burst out of her skin. “AAAHHH OOOHHH!” She screamed as the worms flailed all over her arm. The worms shot around her, just moving in random directions as if it was moving with her screams.
 
Kira let out a long gasp, and tried to calm down. Father has taught me how to remain calm, and keep calm! She thought. As she calmed down, the worms stopped coming out of her arm. Soon her arm was clean, and all that is left was the ones wriggling in the grass.
 
Kira look at her arm and scar. None of it looked damaged in anyway. “I must keep calm,” she said to herself, “I can't allow this to happen again.” She shook at the thought of loosing control of the demon that was in her. She stood up, and looked around at the surrounding area.
 
“Oh my God!” she exclaimed. She stood in the middle of what used to be the Spirit of the Forest's domain. She backed off from the water, as if from fear. I brought the demon into here! She stamped at a worm on the ground, and looked around fearfully.
 
A light glow caught her eye as she looked across the grounds. In a small isle in the center on the lake was an eerie glow.
 
“What?” she muttered, and made her way through the water. She reached the isle, and gasped, This is the Forest Spirit's island! She warily made her way to the glow, and pushed away some brush. The glow was coming through the dirt, so she started to dig.
 
Kira's hands hit something solid. She cleared away the last of the dirt, and her breath hitched. In the ground was a large flat stone, covered in writing. All over it was writing and symbols: ones of animals, beasts, humans, and all sorts of creatures. The writing was nothing like she has ever seen. The strangeness of all this went through her mind.
 
Why has no one ever told me about this? Has anybody uncovered it before? She looked through the symbols, and one caught her eye. She pondered over it for a moment before exclaiming,
 
“It's the symbol of the wolf!” The symbol in question was a triangle with two smaller triangles in it.
 
As Kira looked through the rest of the symbols, she started to recognize some others; “There is the eagle! And the boars, the serpent, wildcat! And here's the ape!” Kira said. She looked through the rest of the symbols eagerly.
 
She stopped at one symbol, and stared at it intently. The sign looked like mass of worms. She shook as she realized what it was.
 
The demon of hatred. She suddenly felt something crawl on her. She tore at her clothes trying to get it off.
 
A single demon worm fell from her skin. Still clutched to her even through the water. She stared as the worm crawled towards its mark. It reached it, and melted to a mass of goo, and soaked into the stone.
 
“Oh no,” Kira spoke, and felt the ground under her give way.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Ashitaka and San sat, quietly talking. “I have been hard on her,” Ashitaka admitted, “have I?”
 
San nodded, “You have, but it is probably for the best. She must learn to control herself, and that demon in her if she wants to do anything.”
 
Ashitaka nodded, “It has fully integrated into her. Do you think she can use it as a weapon?” San shook her head violently, “I hope not! That demon is our enemy. She must never use it out of rage. It could consume her if she tries to use it!”
 
Ashitaka nodded. He looked up into the sky; “It is my fault. This all is my fault.”
 
San held her love close, “No, it isn't. We are still here because of you. But you only saved a part of the world. The rest of the world is at war, and that is someone else's job to save. However, I have a feeling that Kira is going to be involved with it's saving. Whoever the savior is, I'm sure him and Kira's destinies will be intertwined.”
 
Ashitaka looked over at San, “Is this the forest speaking?”
 
San chuckled, “No, I am just assuming. She is a strong girl, but is it enough?”
 
He smiled, “We can only pray. If you are right, then she is the one everybody is putting his or her hope into. Let us only hope she is on the right path.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira fell through the darkness, and hit the hard surface below. “Ouch,” she muttered as she held her side. She spat some blood on the ground, and looked up at the hole high up.
 
There's no way I can reach up there. It looks like I have to find another way out of here. She got up, and started through the cave passageway. She silently thanked her mother as her eyes started to glow in the dark. The shadows disappeared and the cave way opened up to her.
 
It's nice being part spirit. A doorway could be seen in the distance, so Kira started walking.
 
Kira found a huge door. She gaped at the immense size of it, and the millions of carvings on it. But in the center of the door was a huge sign, one that Kira knew instantly as the symbol of the Spirit of the Forest.
 
So this must be its secret realm. Her eyes came to the symbol of the demon again.
 
Well, if it worked before. . . . She concentrated hard, and thinking of her dad managed to summon a single worm out of her palm. She placed it on the symbol, and it melted like before, but the door didn't open.
 
“What?” she shouted. She became to get annoyed as she peered again at the huge door. Another symbol caught her eye, one of a wolf, but wreathed in flames. Her mother's words of such a symbol came to her from years past . . .
 
Look Kira San said, and showed Kira a symbol she had on some paper. Kira was only 4, and was jumping up and down for the fun, but she stopped long enough to glance at the picture.
 
Pretty picture, she said, What is it?
 
San smiled, and hugged her child; It is you Kira! This is the symbol of the spirit. It could be with any creature, but anything covered in fire signifies its spirit. You have the wolf spirit in you!
 
Kira's eyes widened, Do I really? San smiled, Really really!
 
Kira shook away the distant memory and looked at the symbol again.
 
Maybe I need another . . . She grabbed one of her shuriken, and made a tiny cut at the tip of her finger. She smeared the blood on the symbol of the spirit.
 
The cave shook. Kira dropped the blade by surprise, and grabbed the wall to steady her. Rocks and sand fell from the ceiling as the cave rumbled. Slowly, the doors opened.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
The whole forest shook. Ashitaka and San grabbed hold of the chairs they were sitting in as the rumble ran through the lands.
 
“What the hell was that?” Ashitaka exclaimed, his hands to his sword already.
 
San waved him down, “I don't know, I have never heard such a thing before. Could it be involved with the Forest Spirit? That's the only thing I can think of that that has this kind of power.”
 
Ashitaka shook his head, “But how could that be? The Spirit is dead. All that is left of it keeps this forest alive. It is in the creatures and the plants, and you! Something else is at work here.”
 
Ashitaka looked up at San, and asked, “Where did Kira go?”
 
San gasped, “Do you think she is involved? What could she have done?”
 
Ashitaka sighed, “No, she could be in danger. I saw her running towards the domain of the Spirit of the Forest. Do you suppose she is there?”
 
San stood up, “I don't know. We should go . . . . . . . . . .” She trailed off. Her eyes widened with fright. Her pupils barely dots she turned towards Ashitaka,
 
“I sense something!”
 
Ashitaka looked at his wife. Her connection with the forest gave her a strange intuition that is never wrong.
 
“What?” he asked, “What is it?”
 
San barely breathed as she stared ahead; “ Something is coming!”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
In the dark room of the emperor, Eboshi stood. The Emperor look at her disappointedly, “Is that all you have for me? I have done so much for you, and yet you have given me nothing!”
 
Eboshi bowed, “I am sorry. They do not trust me, and do not confide in me often. Have I not given you the first tribe just like you asked for? And I have shown you how to attack the Boar Tribe.”
 
The Emperor chuckled, “Any fool could attack the Boar Tribe and win. They are foolish and gullible. You have given me nothing, the tribe you gave me is nothing to my true goal. Now, do you have anything else on the matter that is of any use to me?”
 
Eboshi looked to the Emperor's feet, and shook her head.
 
The Emperor sighed, “Very well. You are dismissed.”
 
Eboshi stood up and almost ran out of the room. The Emperor scared her and she don't like speaking to him at all, but it was now over, and her goal is done. Soon she will get what she deserves.
 
The Emperor looked over at his aide, “Come here.”
 
The aide bowed before the Emperor, “Your wishes?”
 
The Emperor spoke clearly, “Send word to one of my armies. Tell them their next target is Iron Town. Eliminate completely.”
 
End of Chapter 3
 
Next chapter The Battle of Iron Town
 
Authors notes: So how did I do? Please review!!! I enjoy coming up with more and more for this story, so I'll continue writing it. I apologize now; I used the names Gendo and Kaji for the wolf brothers from another fanfic. I liked how they sounded, please forgive me. The next chapter is going to be good, so wait for it!
 
I should mention that I should credit to two other people. They always read my chapters first, and correct the grammer and flopw and all that. Here is credit to them, think about them while reading these next chapters.