Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Bringer of Unity ❯ The New Guaudian of the Forest ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2 The New Guardian of the Forest
 
Leaves and brush swept aside as a figure ran through the bushes and small trees. The person came to an edge of a hill, I'm here, she thought.
 
People bustled all around, working hard at the wetland, farming away at the land. Shouts of people and clanks of tools could be heard as all worked hard to sustain their crops here in Iron Town. Much has changed since the day of the death of the Spirit of the Forest. Instead of being a trading economy, Iron townsfolk have learned how to farm, and make their own food.
 
Everywhere townspeople moved their mules and oxen, shipping rice, onions, and all sorts of vegetables to and fro. Children played in the streets of Iron Town as people who weren't farmers made their living selling and fixing.
 
The girl approached Iron Town. The long road opened to the huge spiked walls, and the enormous gate. She smiled as she came to view of the guards. One of the guards noticed her and called out politely, “Welcome Lady Kira. It is good to see you again.”
 
Kira nodded, “Thank you guardsman. May I enter Iron Town?” The guardsman nodded, and turned to the gate. “OPEN THE GATE!” he shouted. A second passed, and the gate slowly creaked opened wide. Kira smiled, and walked into Iron Town.
 
Inside, she was greeted by a group of kids. “Hey!” she said, fending off the children gently as they tried to pull her down. “You know the rules, you can't play until you greet someone properly. Now . . . .” the children sighed, and said in unison, “Greetings Lady Kira.” Kira nodded, “Good . . . .”
 
The kids leapt onto Kira, and pulled her to the ground. “Noooo!” she laughed, “NOOOOO!” The children all giggled as wrestled to keep her on the ground. “You've got me!” she smiled, “Now what?”
“TICKLE!!!” the children screamed, and tickled Kira on her feet. “HAHAHAHAHAHAH!” she laughed uncontrollably.
 
“Stop!” a voice rang. The kids got off Kira and stood straight up. “Hello Toki,” they said together. Toki chuckled, and said, “You kids better go off and play somewhere else. Kira and I have some business to do.” `OOOOOHHHHH!” the children moaned, but they ran off into the town square.
 
Kira smiled as she rose off the ground, “Thanks. What business are you talking about?” Toki smiled, “None, I just wanted those little rascals out of here.” Toki sighed, “It's good to see you again Kira.” Kira embraced Toki, “It has been a long time.” Toki nodded, “Yes, too long. Come, lets go to my place for something to eat. I'm sure that daughter of mine has already started dinner.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira relaxed in the hard chair in Toki house. Toki looked over at the door to see Jeisu, Toki's daughter, coming with a plate of food. “Thanks,” she said as she started to eat the steaming plate of rice, beans, and beef. This is the first hot meal she has eaten in a while. She inwardly chuckled at the beef, It's a good thing these people made a deal with the forest. They can have domesticated animals, and do whatever they want with them, but they can't hunt. So now they won't have to become vegetarians.
 
Toki came, and sat down at the table, “Kira, so tell me, where have you been all this time? It's been almost a year since your last visit, and you left with no trace.” Kira sighed, and put down her chopsticks. “I . . . . . . I went away for a bit. My parents told me that to become more fit of a Guardian. I then decided to go on a journey to become stronger. One morning, I traveled to the south, and traversed around the wastelands there.”
 
“But why?” Jeisu asked, “Why would you want to go down there? There are monsters and a lot of dangerous things down there.” Kira smiled. She knew Jeisu well, they were childhood friends, but in reality, they were very different. Jeisu preferred the easy life. No dangers, little worries, and a warm home to go to every night. But Kira was the opposite of that. She loved the adventure, the danger, and the need to survive. That is what her mother lived like, and how she will as well.
 
There was an uncomfortable silence before Toki broke it, “Let me get these dishes.” She grabbed the empty platters on the table, and walked into the kitchen to clean them. Kira breathed softly, and sat back in the chair restless. Jeisu walked over to Kira, and sighed, “You don't believe how such beautiful hair you have.”
 
Kira jumped at the unexpected comment, “What?” Jeisu took Kira's long wild hair in her hands, and combed through it, “It's texture, and sheen. And should I mention how perfectly two toned it is? If it was washed and . . .” Jeisu gasped as an idea struck her, “I know!!! Why don't we wash your hair, and let me fix it up?”
 
Kira smiled, “I think not. I don't think . . . “ but Jeisu interrupted her, “Please? It'd be fun, I promise. And you will be surprised at how you look. C'mon.” Kira looked at Jeisu's pleading face. “Alright. I guess we can try it out.” Jeisu jumped up in joy, “Follow me, we'll start now!” Kira followed Jeisu outside. Toki stood at the doorway smiling, Kira may act tough and strong, but truly she is still a girl with simple pleasures. However, she is in for a surprise.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
 
Ashitaka sat on a wooden bench, relaxing an his front porch. Since he and San was the guardians of the forest, they must live in it, and living in a cave when they gave birth to Kira was not the best idea. That is why they decided to build a small house in the center of the forest, where the Spirit of the Forest's realm use to be. The Kodama's mother tree towers over the small house, giving it shade.
 
A small bird fluttered down, landing on the armrest of Ashitaka's chair. “Why, hello there little bird. How are you doing?” The bird looked up at Ashitaka, and chirped sharply. Ashitaka's face grew pale, and he slowly nodded, “Of course. Please send my thanks for the notification. That is all.” The bird gave a quick bow, and flew off.
 
Ashitaka fell back into his chair, “Oh no,” he whispered. San walked out of the house and over to him. “Ashitaka?” she asked, she instantly saw the shock in his face, and grew weary, “What is the matter?” Ashitaka turned to San; “I just received a message. The Serpent Lord has been pressuring the other clans. He has finally convinced one to fight. The Boar tribe is doing a frontal assault on the Empire's capital. They attack in a week.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Jeisu laughed with enjoyment, “You look so beautiful Kira! It looks so great on you! I must teach you how to do it. It is quite simple, and you will be able to keep on doing it.”
 
Kira sighed, “You're overreacting, I . . . . . . .” Kira looked at herself in Jeisu's crystal mirror, her breath hitched. In the mirror she saw herself, but in a completely new way. Her once straggly hair was clean and shining in the sun. A few bands kept the long ponytail in the back in order. Now without the mud, Kira could see her whole head was brown like her mother, except the sides and back, which was gray, like a wolf. Actually clean, she saw the color in her face, the dark bronze tan. She saw face that people have said was like her father, except the eyes, which belonged to her mother. She actually noticed her body shape, how lean and thin it was from the constant training and running about. Jeisu helped Kira. She helped her see her beauty.
 
Kira was still stunned. “I . . . . I . . . . this . . .” Jeisu jumped up, “I know!” she squealed, “Isn't it amazing? And you never knew!” Kira looked away from the mirror, actual fear came into her. “I . . .don't know. It's scary; I never really looked at myself. I never paid any attention to me.”
 
Jeisu just smiled, “Kira, you had no idea did you.” Kira shook her head, “I . . .still can't believe it.” Toki walked into the room, and gasped, “Oh my Spirit of the Forest! Kira, you . . .you look great!” Kira blushed, and looked down. Jeisu giggled, “C'mon Kira, I'll teach you how to do it, and I'll give you a few headbands as well!” Before Kira could say anything, Jeisu dragged her out of the room.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Ashitaka and San sat in their chairs, a blank look filled their faces. “What can we do?” San asked, he said nothing, just staring into the space ahead of them. San sighed, “I guess the only thing we can do is wait until my brothers return with news from the Wolf Tribe. I'm sure the Head Wolf will have some plan.”
 
Ashitaka continued to stare ahead. Without moving, he softly asked, “What is this world coming to?” San looked at him quizzically, “What do you mean?” Ashitaka smiled, and continued, “I mean, this world is slowly tearing itself apart. Humans are killing off creatures, and other humans. Animals are attacking men, and in the process, destroying their own land. What is to come of this world?” San smiled at Ashitaka, “You must have faith my love. I am sure that whoever's job it is to bring peace to the world, and end this war will do a fine job. You believe in him or her.”
 
A twig snapped in the brush, making San and Ashitaka swirl to look in the direction. They sighed as they saw Kira walking up the path to them. “Welcome back Kira,” San said, “Did you . . . “ San slightly gasped as she saw Kira, “Your . . . .your hair! It's beautiful!” Kira blushed, “Thank you, Jeisu taught me it. How do you like it father?” Ashitaka gave a quick look, barely blinking an eye, “It looks find honey, go inside, and get dressed in some dueling clothes, I'm sure it's time for some training.”
 
Kira looked at Ashitaka, “Is something wrong?” San quickly shook her head, “No honey, your father just has something on his mind. But he is right, go get changed, you do need some training.” Kira sighed, and walked inside the house. San glared at Ashitaka, “You don't have to make it so obvious, and you should have actually looked at her hair, it's the first thing she's done human like and you don't say a word.” Ashitaka shook his head, “It doesn't matter, and why must we soften everything up for her. She is a grown lady. She can handle it.” San sighed, “I just don't want her to get too worried and try to do something.” Ashitaka took his wife's hands, “Do not worry, she is a strong person, she can handle anything.” San looked up at him, “I hope you're right.”
 
Kira walked into her room. She threw herself on her mattress, her face scrunched up with anger. “Why can't they tell me anything? They still treat me like a cub. I can handle it. Jeez, they don' trust me, after all these years.” Kira stood up, now obviously mad, “Its always been like this, I mean, anytime there is something important, they . . . . . .Aaaaahhhhh!!!” Kira fell to her knees as extreme pain ran up and down her arm. She clutched it, and tensed up as her arm wriggled in agony. She let out a breath of relief as the pain receded. She rolled up her right sleeve to reveal a purple blotchy scar encircling her arm. She breathed hard as she watched the mark writhe, as if there were worms in it.
 
End of Chapter 2
 
 
 
 
Chapter 3 Destiny Calls