Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Bringer of Unity ❯ New Threat ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 6New Threat
 
Many days have passed since Kira left the forest, and headed east to the lands of the Emishi. Following the river just had her father done so many years ago she passed through plains, towns, and countless farmlands. She ignored all towns. She felt uncomfortable entering a town with humans she did not know. She didn't need anything from them anyway. She was able to get food for herself.
 
It was raining, and she was very cold and wet before Kira decided to rest for the night. Although she could usually see very well in the dark the rain and blowing gale blinded her in the night. By pure chance she managed to find a small cave nearby and she darted into it.
 
With a small fire started, Kira very quickly dried up and the small cave warmed up. Kira placed a small pot over the fire and started to cook some rice and gumbo. Even with the good fragrances filling the cave Kira could not get her thoughts straight. There were just too many worries and doubts in her mind.
 
Hopefully the Emishi can help me. They have to help me; I am a protector of the forest, and the daughter of their prince. But…they banished my father because of the curse! What if they refuse to help me even if I have heritage blood? Ashitaka was supposed to never exist after the banishment!
 
Before she could finish her thoughts she glanced up as someone entered the cave. She gripped her blade behind her as she stared at the stranger.
 
“Do not be alarmed,” the person said. “If you do not mind I also wish to get out of the rain.”
 
Still tense, Kira nodded. Her hand did not leave the blade's side. The stranger was completely covered in cloaks and other clothes so Kira could not deduce what the person looked like. However from their voice she guessed the person was a young male.
 
The hidden man sniffed the aroma and sighed with content. “That smells very good young mistress, however you are missing an ingredient. Do you mind?”
 
He took off the huge pack from off his back and took out a wrapped up package, motioning towards the cooking meal. Kira stared at it for a moment before nodding again. The man used a spoon and scooped the seasoning into the boiling broth and mixed it. He tasted it and sighed.
 
“That is much better! It is now finished, please give me your bowl.”
 
Still hesitant, Kira reached down and grabbed up her red china, a gift from her father, and handed it to the stranger. The man took it and admired it for a moment before scooping in some of the gumbo. He handed it back to her.
 
“Nice bowl, I have seen one other like it!”
 
He poured himself a bowl and using his chopsticks quickly ate it. He immediately poured himself a second portion and also drank that down.
 
Kira was thoroughly confused with this man. Who was he and whom did he think he was eating so freely out of her plate? She grabbed her chopsticks and slowly ate her meal not taking her eyes off him just once. He was just too mysterious.
 
The man finally slowed down at his third portion, actually chewing the food. Using his chopsticks he pointed outside at the dark and rain.
 
“It's a real shame you couldn't see outside. A few years back this use to be a real nice town. Many of the townsfolk were good friends of mine. It was just a farming community, but it was very nice. But about a year ago something came along, a flood, or a landslide. The only sure thing is that everyone dead.”
 
The man's voice suddenly turned from nice and friendly to dark and cold.
 
“All things, even gods, must eventually die Kira!”
 
Kira's eyes widened. She grabbed hold of her short blade and swiped at the cloaked man, but he was already gone out of the cave and into the dark stormy night. She breathed hard and shivered as a draft came in from outside.
 
He knew my name! I never said a word but he knew who I was the whole time!
 
She glanced down to where the man was sitting and noticed the small package of seasoning lying there, as if left by the intruder.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Kira softly hummed to herself as she walked along the path. She put last night's events behind her as she anticipated the meeting of the Emishi. And anyway the seasoning did make a major difference in the taste of her meal. She did not know who the man was but she did know she would meet him again.
 
The Emishi town was just over the hill ahead and she couldn't withhold her excitement. Inside she tried to stay as calm and collect as possible, but the teenager inside of her couldn't be held. Kira burst into a sprint and ran over the hill.
 
Her eyes widened. Complete and utter shock swept through her as her body tensed up. In front of her lay waste the town of the Emishi. The whole town was completely destroyed. Buildings were knocked down and it's lumber scattered around. The vegetation in the land around was burnt and dead. Dead men and women could be seen from the distance.
 
Could that man have been talking about this?
 
Speechless Kira stumbled down the hill to the remains of the Emishi Town.
 
Her eyes widened even more as she slowly walked through the rubble. After more then a week of travelling to find the Emishi and seek wisdom for her quest she finally found them. Some twenty bodies lay scattered around the center of the town. Men, women, a few children, and many elders were charred and scorched beyond reason. Kira held her breath as she touched one of the dead bodies. At her touch part of it crumbled into pieces.
 
“What in the world,” she whispered, “did this? No one knew that the Emishi people have still survived for the past 500 years and was living here! And these burn marks are not from fire, but something else. This is not human work. Not at all!”
 
Kira continued to walk through the town, taking in the scene. She felt tears brim as she tried to determine what had happened to her people. As far as she could tell the people have been dead for almost two weeks, about the same time she left her home. Lying around, near the dead bodies blades and bows lay, signifying that some kind of battle occurred.
 
The Emishi have really gotten weak in blood! There are so few of them, and the village was so small! Father said that they had once been a great tribe that co-existed with animals. However the Emperor disliked that and banished them east to here. Ever since their bloodline as been growing weaker and weaker each generation. Ashitaka's leaving must have been a horrible blow to their heritage.
 
A sob sounded from a fallen building. Kira's warrior instincts snapped back and she ran towards the sound. One building did not sustain as much damage as the others, but was only partially destroyed. Kira kicked through the crumpled portion and saw a crouched body at the corner. The body was swaying slightly and the sounds of crying came from it.
 
A bit tense, Kira spoke, `Who are you? What has happened here? Are you of the Emishi?”
 
The body didn't respond but the sobbing grew louder. Kira frowned and approached the person. She placed her hand on the one's shoulder, “I am not going to hurt you, I only want to help. Please, turn around and answer me!”
 
The person flinched away. “Go away!”
 
Surprised, Kira grew impatient. She reached out and grabbed the one's shoulder and turned them around, “Why are you acting like this? Just answer my question…What happened…ahh!”
 
She jumped back in alarm. The person was in fact a boy about her age but that was all she could tell from him. His face was completely covered with the demon mark. His physical features were completely blotted out by the brown and purple marks. Kira stared as worms burst out of various places on his face and re-entered. Also she could see the worms wriggle inside of his clothes, squirming around constantly. Tears fell from his eyes to his. Kira could see his hands were also completely covered in the cursed mark.
 
The boy cried out and twisted away hiding in the corner again. Kira felt a drop of sweat run down her face.
 
It was a demon of hatred! This young man is going through the final stages of the curse. He will soon die! But what is a demon doing out here?
 
She approached the boy cautiously. As softly as she could she asked, “When did this happen?”
 
Still turned away, the boy stopped his crying. In a low voice he whispered, “About two weeks ago it came and attacked. The town tried to fend it off but it swept aside our defenses. It…it killed everyone! I watched from this house as it completely slaughtered everyone, and I couldn't do anything! I tried to run away but one of its tentacles hit this house and hit my face. I was buried in the rubble.”
 
The boy tensed up as a spasm of worms tore through him. He looked at Kira, “Help me!”
 
Kira stared back into his eyes, surprisingly seeing them purple. She cringed when he screamed out in pain as his body squirmed with countless worms. Many waves of the convulsions shook the boy's body as he cried through them all. She felt her arm tingle as the boy's screams rang through the room. Finally the worms went away and he could speak again. He turned towards Kira and whispered.
 
“It came from the forest!”
 
Suddenly a chill went through Kira's body. She felt her right arm tense up.
 
Something is coming!
 
She left the teen in the corner and stepped outside. From the town center she could see the forest in the distance. She squinted to see that far, staring at the trees. Suddenly as if the sun went out the area by the trees went dark. The leaves almost instantly turned brown and died. Then out from the forest a giant squirming mass of worms piled out. It rolled along towards the remains of the town.
 
A demon! It must be the one that destroyed the Emishi!
 
Anger rose in her. She felt the pain and the sadness of the Emishi, and she felt the obligation to take vengeance. She reached into numerous pouches and drew out various throwing stars and knives. In the distance the pile re-shaped itself so it had many long spindly legs and a pair of beady eyes glaring forward. It glowered at Kira and charged towards her.
 
“AAHH!”
 
Kira screamed out as she threw blade after blade towards the approaching demon. She stepped into each throw powering the attacks. The flying blades tore through the creature but it showed no sign of weakening. A ripple vibrated through it. Suddenly tentacles of the worms from the demon shot towards her, blocking the flying blades.
 
Kira smirked and grabbed two short blades from their sheathes. She spun around slicing at the tentacles. The demon screamed as its tentacles dropped to the ground cleaved from her swords. It let out another scream and countless tentacles swarmed towards Kira.
 
Kira sidestepped and swung her blades archly around her. Even surrounded with the hordes of tentacles her blade dance protected her while it attacked at the beast appendages. She leapt up dodging a simultaneous attack from five tentacles. In the air she almost floated, gracefully flying towards the beast.
 
“DIE!” She screamed, swords overhead. The beast didn't even move. A large tentacle of worms shot out from the demon's head and slammed into her. Kira felt her breathe leave her as it pushed her away and smashed her onto the ground. The tentacle retreated leaving behind some worms trying to infect her with their curse.
 
Kira finally was able to breathe from the attack. She looked down at the wriggling worms on her and chuckled. “That won't work on me demon!”
 
She clenched her right hand, warmth spread form her arm to the rest of her body, freezing the worms into stone. The demon let out a shriek of frustration as its worms fell from her body. Kira rose and brushed off the rest of the stone worms. She glared up at the demon.
 
“Great demon of hatred, I shall not bow to you. You have destroyed my people, and now you shall be excised from this world. Now be gone!”
 
She took out the spirit staff. She held it in front of her and it extended to its full length. One end had two blades, one extended outward with the pole, the other perpendicular to the pole. At the other end of the staff a scythe elongated out to balance the magnificent weapon. Kira held it behind her and leapt into the air. The demon as well leapt into the air; tentacles swirled around it.
 
Kira landed smoothly, the Spirit Staff held out in front of her. She slowly stood and turned around. The demon fell to the ground, and huge gash swept along its whole body. It stayed silent as multitudes of worms poured from the opening.
 
Kira sighed, “Vengeance is done.”
 
She looked up at the building the boy still was in. Entering it she saw the teen lying at the corner unmoving. Crying out she ran to his side and turned his body over to face up.
 
“This is bad!”
 
The worms have almost completely covered him. The curse is about to kill him. He was no longer conscious; the hatred inside him has almost taken over.
 
“No!” Kira cried. She fell to her knees at the boy's side. “You can't die! You are the only Emishi left! You can't just leave me! Please…. Don't die!”
 
The Emishi gasped for air; he had no strength for anything else. Soon he would have no strength for that either. Kira held him close. She felt sadness for him. Although she did not know him, Kira was frightened. She never was alone before, and he was part of her bloodline. Once he died she would truly be the last of the Emishi.
 
She closed her eyes and listened to the teen's methodic breathing.
 
Do you wish to heal the boy Kira?
 
Kira flinched at the voice. She shivered at its gravely and low sound. She stared at her arm, but gave no answer.
 
Do you Kira? Because if you wish…I can teach you how to do it.
 
“Why are you doing this? You are a demon, you run around killing things for no reason except for pure rage. I've seen your kind. What are you trying to pull?”
 
I promised you power. Healing this youth's curse is part of your power. All I want in the end is for you to achieve your goal of….
 
“I know, unity among animals and man. But why do you want that?”
 
What will you gain when unity comes?
 
“I…I'm not sure. What?”
 
If you can answer that question for yourself, then you will be able to answer the question you asked me.
 
“What?”
 
Place your hand on the origin of the boy's curse.
 
“NO! Answer me! What were you talking about?”
 
Do you not want to save the lad Kira? Then do as I say!
 
Remembering what he had said Kira put her right hand on the boy's face.
 
Now concentrate; concentrate on the anger, the hatred, and the rage. Summon them; call them out of the boy and into yourself!
 
Kira concentrated. She felt a slight flicker, but then the curse hit her like a ton of bricks. She opened her mouth to a soundless scream as hundreds upon hundreds of pictures and feelings poured into her. She convulsed as the pure power of the emotion flowed into her leaving the young man.
 
“I can't handle this! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!”
 
Finally it stopped completely. She opened her eyes and relaxed. The cursed mark has disappeared from the boy's face. His eyes were closed and he breathed softly, apparently asleep. She gazed into his sleeping face.
 
“He seems so calm and tranquil. After the last few days it must feel nice to have this curse off of you.”
 
She caught herself staring at his face and looked away. Blood rushed to her face as she turned a deep red. She stood up and stepped away from him not understanding why she was feeling so embarrassed. She glanced quickly back at him to see him still deeply asleep.
 
Ah young Kira, what are these emotions inside of you?
 
“Quiet demon! How did I do that? I've never heard of powers like these?”
 
Very few others in this world have been integrated successfully with a demon of hatred. It would not be common to hear of their tales. Tell me Kira, did you see something while you were absorbing that boy's curse?
 
Kira thought for a couple of seconds. Now that she thought about it she remembered seeing flashes of images with all the emotions that impacted her.
 
Those images were the memories of pain and hatred the former being had before that demon infected it. You can probably find a clue there to where to go next.
 
“Wait!” She cried out, “Don't leave! Tell me more! What exactly is going on? What is the deal with the demons? And what did you mean with what you were talking about just now?”
 
I have told you before Kira, you and I alike share a same goal. I will help you to my fullest extent so you will be ready. For when the time comes if you are not ready, you will forever succumb to the hatred. Until I am needed again young Kira.
 
“Wait…WAIT!”
 
However the voice did not answer. Kira fell to her knees in desperation. She felt tears swell up, but she fought against them.
 
“I have always thought myself to be a strong person. Then why can't I pull myself together?”
 
Before she could answer her own question, Kira felt her warrior instincts rise. She leapt over to the boy and covered him with her body. Just as she did so the rest of the building was swept away by a tentacle. Slightly bruised but otherwise fine Kira rose and glared to where the tentacle had come from.
 
“I thought you were dead.”
 
The demon of hatred screamed back. A ripple tore through it and all its worms flew up in the air. Underneath all the worms a giant eagle stood, glaring at Kira.
 
Kira froze with shock.
 
What the??? Only boars were known to have the demon. They were the only race of animals to have enough hatred and anger. Now eagles carry the curse as well!!?!?!?!
 
The mound of worms fell back on the eagle and swirled around. It let out an earsplitting screech. Kira's eyes widened as two shapes formed themselves from the worms. From the worms tendons and rubbery skin was formed to create huge wings. From the still swirling mound of worms multitudes of thin spindly legs shot out and at the ends huge claws molded. The demon eagle flapped its mighty wings and rose high into the air, letting loose a huge gust of wind that threw Kira off her feet.
 
She got up off the ground and stared up at the sky at the demon. She squinted at the sun until the demon blocked it hiding her in the shade. Worry filled her from this new race of demon of hatred as it circled around for the final kill.
 
End of Chapter 6
 
 
Next Chapter---Battle of the Demon: Type II