Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Rising to My Fate ❯ Cursed Wanderer ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"My Prince, are prepared to learn what fate the stones have foretold you?"

"Yes, I was prepared the very moment that I let my arrow fly." Ashitaka replied calm and quiet, never averting his gaze. 'My village, Kaya, i had to.'

Though now, looking back, I never knew that when I chose to rise to my fate, my fate, was not as I thought it was. I had to abandon my life, my family. I was dead to them. I was to leave, knowing I'd never come back. To know I'd die, far away from my home, away from family and friends, all alone, by myself; only Yakul, my faithful red elk, to carry my cursed body away from love and comfort. The last prince of the Emishi, not to be a nameless wanderer.

Ashitaka prepared to leave his only home, the place of wonderful memories, and never to return. She came to me, even though it was against the law to see me depart. I was upset she would do such a thing, but glad inside that I would say goodbye. She gave me her crystal dagger, it's blood-red jewel glimmering in the evening moon, and I felt the warmth of it from her hands.

"Kaya, you know I could never forget you." 'I will never forget you, I promise.' And I rode away, the clomping of Yakul's feet resounding in the silent night.


I traveled far to the west, passing streams and green empty fields. i was coming down a grassy slope when the rise of smoke, and shouts of people reached my senses. I looked down, my eyes sweeping the sight of a village below. The metal blades flashed in the noon sun.

"A battle?" I asked myself, not sure. I peered closer to my left, to watch armed men chase innocent woman. The females were slaughtered like an evening meal. "No, a massacre" I answered.

"Look up on the hill!"

"It's a warrior!" Men came from my right, bows strung tight, aiming right at me. i urged Yakul to gallop quickly. Arrows landed all around me. the sharp metal cutting through the air nearby. I covered my face, not wanting to be remember or recognized. I grasped an arrow, stringing it, ready to release incase of opposition. Up ahead I saw a ruthless man, beating a woman, who was bent over in oncoming death and pain. She cried out when his weapon hit her again. The rage seethed inside me, and I yelled out.

"You! Stop!" I pulled back my arrow, and suddenly pain shot through my arm, as it felt my muscles were being twisted and torn. I squinted the pain away, my arm realizing the arrow in pain. The arrow shot out, head piercing through the man's handle of the weapon. It was pinned against the tree, along with the man's arms; skin, bone, muscle and all, right up to the elbows, hands still clenched around the hilt. I was in shock as I passed the horrific sight.

"My arm!" I exclaimed quietly to myself, grasping it possessively. "What's happening to me?" 'Is this the work of my curse?' I questioned myself.

"Stop him!" I turned to see riders following suite, parallel to me.

"Let me pass, I'm warning you!" I reached for another arrow, wondering it it would happen again. A man across the way let loose an arrow on me. I let go, to find again, that strength flew with that arrow, cleanly cutting off the samurai's head, body still riding on the horse. I kept going, not wanting to hurt another. I just wanted to leave, go someplace else.

After a while I reached a stream, and I ran my cursed arm under the crisp water, trying to relieve the swelling and fiery pain that coursed though my limb. After some time and my arm became numb, I removed it from the water and peered at it curiously. I started at it, depression starting to seep in.

"The mark is getting bigger."



I decided to go to the nearest town, and buy some rice. As the young lady poured it in the bag, I offered her some of my gold.

"Will this be enough?" I said calmly and polite, knowing full well it was plenty. I wanted to leave, the people crowded around Yakul and myself, and I wasn't in the mood for company. The sooner I left, the better. I didn't know when I would die, when the curse would win me over; I needed to go to the west. Further west. I was surprised as the woman refused it, calling me a thief. That is when a man from the massacred village came up, and inspected my gold. In a smile, of exasperation, he proclaimed it's real worth, and I left, not finding it easy to leave the awestruck crowd.

"Hey! You can't just rush off now." I was leaving on an empty road out of town, following the setting sun when he ran after me. I just only turned my head. "We've only just met."

'Yes, we've only just met. Now leave, please.' The man was short, a red and white outfit. A red umbrella, a pack, and a white kimono .

"We've got your rice, and everything's fine. You are a man of few words, I understand."

'Then you would understand silence is what I am.'

"Don't you even think of thanking me, it was my pleasure." I just looked forward, not responding. " In fact, I should be thanking you, really." And the man continued, and I listened only with half interest. Then he talked about the battle. I wasn't in the mood to answer all these questions. I just kept riding Yakul at a slow pace, until he challenged me.
"I see you noticed we're being followed."

'ah huh. What are these plural nouns that involve me?' He kept talking, but I started to pay silent attention when his tone changed.

"What do you say we give'em a little demonstration of how fast we can run, huh?" He ran past me, in surprising speed, and in silent obedience Yakul followed, knowing his master's mind well.

In the evening, we had settled in a little outcropping. I had decided I could temporarily trust this man. I told him of the past couple of days. My head dipped slightly in sad embarrassment as I mention how I killed, no, slaughtered two men with my arrows. I still did not fully believe I did that. 'No,' I tried to rationalize it. 'the curse did it, the curse killed them.' But my logic flawed. I was the one who released the arrow. I raised my head when he asked for my bowl. I gave it to him carefully, it being one of the few reminders of my home I had left. Home. It was so far away.

I raised my head in surprise as he mentioned the Emishi people. I had learned years ago to control my emotions, and I kept my face passive. The man smiled, promising not to tell who I was. I relaxed a bit, but was unsure about this so-called monk now.




a/n: I know I half-neglected this fic, but now I'm picking it back up and planning it to be much better. More new chapters over Christmas when I have some time.