Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Rising to My Fate ❯ Start of a beginning ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


The next day, I arose early in the morning, as the sun's rays pierced through the mist, leading Yakul onward, leaving the man behind in his slumber.

Meanwhile...

Torrents of rain poured down the mountain side, making the path slick for oxen who carried the food for the town. The rain pelted down, but one figure seemed unafraid of the harsh storm. She stood out amongst the men, and held a stature of a fine leader. A vigilant guard stood beside her, talking to her quietly. Her shouted words of encouragement enlightened the dark mood. Quickly a man came running towards her, carrying to what seemed to be a closed umbrella.

"Coming this way! Wolves!" The herders looked up, to see white wolves starkly contrasted to the ugly mountain terrain, sprinting quickly their way.

"Don't let the oxen panic! Stay calm! Take up your positions." The female quickly gave precise orders, wise and calm. Guns were fired at the 2 large wolves, one carrying a particular being. The white wolves easily dodged the attacks, intent on their target.

Suddenly the wolves were gone, as it afraid. But soon even a larger Wolf, Moro, attacked the traveling men, a large oxen looking like meager snack in her mouth. Through the efforts of gunman, the large pale wolf fell off the mountain, falling below in the mist. But before the beast had fallen, great damage was done.


Other where...

Ashitaka rode quietly through the woods, sunlight turning the canopy a bright green. Loud, short bursts of sound could be heard, like thunder, coming from the mountains.

'Gunfire' Ashitaka thought. He rode further into a clearing, where the light shown bright. He came to a large, muddy river, overflowing it's banks with the abundance of rain. He searched around the mossy rocks, hoping to find away across the incrossible. As he searched, he saw what appeared to him a dead oxen and some containers being swept past him quickly in the swift current. It was then he noticed the pale, limp body strewn over the rocks, not a far distance away. he jumped off Yakul quickly, making his way to the man.

"He's still breathing." Placing his head between the string and wood curve of his bow, he lifted the prone body out of the murky water.

"Hang on" he whispered, hoping the man would live. He quickly made his way across stones, to behind a huge boulder, where another man lay, carrying him back to land. Yakul tensed, ears flicking. Ashitaka went on the stones again, peering between a fallen tree. What he saw was not what he expected. Three white wolves, one particularly larger than the other, and a beautiful girl. She had a cloak of wolf hide and skin, short unruly hair. She pressed her face into the wound of the large on, until it growled unfriendly. She turned, beautiful face smeared with blood. Her eyes immediately sought his. Ashitaka was sure he found the land of the gods, and certainly she was a goddess.

Her charm was less than her looks, as she spit out blood, wiping her mouth on the back of her forearm, just smearing more on her delicate face. Ashitaka rose, knowing he was already found. He stood up, revealing his face, proclaiming aloud:

"My name is Ashitaka. I have traveled far from lands to the east. Are you ancient gods and have I come at last to the realm of the Spirit of the Forest?

They paid no attention, save for the girl, who shouted before she left,

"Go away!" One wolf made sure to take an ox with them.

Ashitaka snapped out of his revere by the cry of a man. He hurried across, fearing the worst. But all he found was a scared man and a little kodama.

"A Kodama! I never thought I'd see one of them here." The tried to soothe the scared man, who must have a concussion, for Kodamas are good luck. What did they have to fear?