Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Cat Got Your Tongue?... ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

Shampoo sat atop the roof of the building that bore the curious name of Saint Hebereke. Hebereke was the Japanese word for "Falling Down Drunk," or so someone had informed her the other day when she asked about the upcoming contest. Supposedly the place had originally been named for some European god named Bacchus, back in the days when it had belonged to some religious order called the Christians, but foreign studies had never been one of her strong points of interest.

Falling down drunk was a good description of these Japanese, however, the way they carried on in a slightly mad and obsessively formal manner that was both vexing and confusing. Then again she supposed that the ways of the Amazons would seem as incomprehensible to outsiders, so she would try not to be as judgmental as her overly critical Great Grandmother to all things not Amazon. If the Japanese wanted to honor a god known for indulgence and excess, then who was she to question their wisdom? All she knew was that this was the home of her beloved, and as such a sacred land, one that she would try and come to accept as her own.

Even if it drove her mad in the process.

This whole business was leaving her in a very depressed state of mind. How much simpler life had been in the days of her childhood when training to be the best warrior of the Amazons had been everything, and her Great Grandmother was a voice of infinite wisdom seeking to guide her future. Shampoo studied hard to master complex techniques and maneuvers that older children had difficulty grasping, and in time she had surpassed them all in knowledge and ability. No warrior dared challenge her and none came close to matching her prowess.

Only one dared raise her hand to spar with Shampoo, one who was not so feared and respected, yet who tried just as hard to excel. That one was her adoptive cousin, Perfume, whom Great Grandmother had also favored with personal training.

There were singular differences between them, of course. One being that Perfume had a special condition that made her vulnerable to the least skilled of opponents, the other was a curse that Shampoo herself had laid upon her. It was the memory of this that made her so sad, even if she had been doing the bidding of Great Grandmother at the time. Training in Jusenkyo was risky business, but who knew that Perfume would pay the terrible price of their relentless pursuit of perfection?

Perfume. Perhaps the only real friend she had left in the world, not including Nabiki, who was stubbornly resisting her acknowledgement of their wedding. Perfume who had been weak and frail as a child, whom other girls despised for being weak, yet who had a kind of dignity about herself that had convinced Shampoo at an early age that the others were wrong, that Perfume was worthy of respect, having great courage in spite of her weakness. Great Grandmother had only reluctantly accepted Perfume as a student, having decided that she would be a good sparring partner for Shampoo to train with. Great Grandmother had been very surprised when Perfume outlasted her most optimistic expectations to become a warrior of skill of whom other fighters would learn to be wary.

Perfume seldom complained about the harshness of their training. She was determined to make Great Grandmother proud, to prove to her family that she had worth. It was more than pride that made her endure the rigorous torture of mastering the Bakusai Tenketsu, not to mention a dozen other dangerous techniques, who showed greater courage than anyone Shampoo had ever seen where it truly mattered. Shampoo had been inspired by Perfume's tenacity to withstand the taunts and abuse of their trainer, to work to earn her place as Kho-Lon's designated heir, to be twice the Amazon that they both were together. Perfume had always been there for her, and yet when the time finally came to choose between two loyalties, Shampoo had chosen to betray her.

Well, actually Nabiki-chan had figured the Jusenkyo curse out for herself. Locking her up in a cage had seemed needlessly cruel at the time, but Shampoo accepted it as a temporary condition to keep her cousin from attacking her Airen. The point was that she had been ready to betray her, had in fact told the Ranma boy of Perfume's vulnerability to water, and this would have probably bolstered the eventual outcome when Ukyo had stumbled on the truth by herself and unwittingly became Perfume's new Airen. This complicated everything, however, because Ukyo was also betrothed to Ranma, and by tying him down this way she effectively removed Shampoo's only other obstacle to cementing her relationship with Nabiki. What an irony that in trying to force Nabiki to accept the marriage she actually made it that much harder to resolve this mess, and now Perfume was trapped in the exact same situation.

Well, maybe not quite so similar. Shampoo had at lease one night of blissful passion to assure her that Nabiki cared for her and would make a very fine husband, if she could only be convinced to return to Joketsuzoku. Nabiki's interest in Ranma, however, was a problem. There seemed to be a lot more than obligation binding those two together, and--like it or not--Shampoo was actually jealous of their closeness. Ranma was an obstacle to her plans, and obstacles should be removed, or so Great Grandmother had always told her. Somehow here, however…it just did not seem right. How could she hope to win Nabiki over by attacking this boy? More likely it would make Nabiki very angry and much less willing to cooperate. Even Great Grandmother would have to concede that!

Or would she? Shampoo was not so sure, and she was dreading more than ever the inevitable arrival of her imperious Elder Kinswoman. Kho-Lon could be so insistent on the adherence to principle, and by strict reading of those principles both she and Perfume were acting in violation to traditions. It was difficult to know how the Elder would interpret matters, and without knowing her mind it was impossible for Shampoo to make any contingency plans for the future.

And what was Nabiki planning? She had been very curious about the precedents set by other Amazons caught in similar dilemmas. She had seemed to latch onto the rules concerning multiple marriages. Was it possible that she was thinking about…?

"Shampoo!" Nabiki's voice brought her around to find Nabiki standing behind her on the opposite end of the roof, "There you are, I've been looking all over for you!"

Shampoo felt her heart leap into her mouth as she got to her feet and said, "Airen want find Shampoo?"

"We need your help," Nabiki said, "Perfume's been kidnapped. I thought maybe you could help us find her."

"Perfume?" Shampoo felt twin emotions war in her: concern for her cousin and disappointment that Nabiki had not been seeking her company for other reasons. The former won out and she cried, "Who do this to Shampoo-cousin?"

Somehow before Nabiki uttered the name Shampoo had known it would be, "Kodachi."

"Her?" sudden anger made Shampoo go rigid with the need for retribution. She had never much liked the sneaky, sultry gymnast, whom she only tolerated because Nabiki's sister insisted that she was her friend, but that issue meant nothing now as Shampoo cried, "SHAMPOO KILL!"

"Later," Nabiki urged her tensely, "We've got to find Perfume first. She may be somewhere inside this building. Is there any way you know to trace her while she's in her cursed form?"

Perfume frowned, "Know way to send message to Cousin, but would need something back from Perfume to tell Shampoo where find her."

For some reason Nabiki looked at her in surprise, "You mean Telepathy?"

"What that?" Shampoo frowned, "Is called Sending. We learn do many springs ago to keep from getting lost when separated…"

"Fine," Nabiki said, "Any way I can help out?"

Shampoo thought a moment then shook her head, "You watch, Shampoo do rest."

"Good," Nabiki softly averred, privately hoping that they could wind this all up soon because she wanted to see the fight. She had business investments to attend, and this business about Perfume was far too distracting. Quite apart from seeing to the other Chinese girl's welfare, though was her concern that Perfume would find her way to hot water, then would come after Nabiki again. That was not a risk she was willing to take, so she hoped Ryonami could manage things in her absence, because there was no telling what might happen with Kodachi…

Keiko entered the ring with grand flourish, hands raised in the air as though she were back in the Mu Tai surrounded by bloodthirsty fans eager to see the spilling of crimson. These students were not quite that bad, but the analogy was close enough as the rivalry between schools did seem almost as intense. Though she was the surprise replacement contender for Furinkan, they wanted to see her dethrone the reigning champion of Saint Hebereke.

It was almost enough to make her feel homesick.

Akane, who stood at her side with her ankle wrapped up in a heavy bandage, leaned closer and whispered, "Be careful. Kodachi always likes to make a grand entrance, so be ready for more of her 'little surprises.'"

As if on cue the lights in the gymnasium went out, then one by one spotlights appeared, shining on a spot above the arena, where everyone could now see a form in shimmering white sitting upon a swing. As Kodachi was lowered down to the stage it became evident that she was wearing a frilly white wedding dress--complete with veil--and had one of her trademark black roses clenched between her teeth. She looked like a Heavenly Kami drifting down to earth, but a the gleam in her eyes was anything but divine as she flashed a smile at Keiko before alighting onto the stage and doffing her veil to reveal her leotard in one quick and easy motion.

"I see what you mean," Keiko murmured to Akane.

"Just remember," Akane hissed, "You rely on weapons, no physical contact permitted."

"I'll keep that in mind," Keiko replied as she eyed Kodachi warily, then flashed her trademark smile and said, "Gee, I'm flattered, 'Dachi, but I didn't know you were proposing."

Kodachi took the rose from her teeth and threw it at Keiko, who snatched it easily out of the air while being careful to hold it away from her face as Kodachi flashed her an angry look and said, "This dress is for my beloved Kaneda-sama, whom I shall woo and marry…"

"You have talked with him about this, right?" Keiko asked, wondering if Nabiki were anywhere within earshot, or Shampoo for that matter.

Kodachi gave Keiko a look of loathing and said, "Peasant! I will not sully myself by trading insults with your like…"

"Fine by me," Keiko smiled, "Shall we get on with it?"

"But of course," Kodachi stepped forward, extending one hand, "Shall we do as Westerners do when two combatants meet in the spirit of challenge? A handshake…"

"Ah, no, I'll stick to our traditions, thank you," Keiko declined the handshake, instinct warning her to expect something worthy of some of the less honorable Mu Tai fighters she had gone up against. No telling what Kodachi had hidden up her non-existent sleeve, and Keiko was determined to give the loony as few opportunities to cheat as could be managed.

"If you insist on being a boor about it," Kodachi's smile was as patently false as the padding under her leotard that inflated her breast size. They bowed instead then stood ready in their corners.

The referee was about to give the command to begin the match when Kodachi struck first, her hand blurring as something came hurtling at Keiko, who instinctively raised one arm to deflect, only to find her wrist contained by one end of a handcuff.

The other end was a long narrow chain that connected to a birdcage, and in that cage was none other than Perfume!

"Perfume?" Keiko started, finding the cage was dangling above the floor from her wrist with only a meter of chain between them.

"Mrow?" Perfume seemed dazed and confused, as though partially drugged and quite uncertain of her surroundings.

"Kuno Kodachi has struck the first blow!" cried the announcer, "A symbolic gesture of the nature of this Neko-fight, and isn't her dress simply lovely?"

"Hey!" Akane cried, "Referee! You're not going to allow this, are you?"

"This competition is waged by exchange of weapons," the Referee replied, "There is some flexibility beyond the traditionally permitted weapons of Rhythmic Gymnastics, so Kodachi's clever strategy is legal."

"What?" Keiko cried, "What kind of rigged match is this, Ref?"

Kodachi's hollow laugh rang out, "Oh, how pathetic you are, blaming your own shortsightedness upon others. You will hardly last one minute against me as you are, but if it's any consolation, you do look rather nice with that fashion accessory on your wrist."

Keiko growled at Kodachi, "You're just pushing all the wrong buttons, lady. When P-chan here wakes up, you're going to be soooo sorry, assuming I let you live."

"P-chan?" Akane blinked, wondering at so peculiar a nickname.

"Get ready, set, GO!" the Referee cried out, and with no need for further warning both adversaries launched offensives with streamer ribbons lashing out while each darted and dodged as best they could, Keiko only slightly hobbled by the cage while Perfume gripped the floor of the cage with her claws and tried to hold on for dear life.

It was going to be one hell of a Martial Arts demonstration…

"Where am I this time?" Ryoga asked to no one in particular, trying to put two and two together in sorting out his badly shaken sense of directions.

It had always been like this for as long as he could remember. He could not recall a time when he knew how to find his way from one place to the other without the turns and twists of random access. Small wonder he had not seen other members of his family in years, let alone his poor mother. He could not even remember where his house had originally been, every time he came close it was as if someone had moved it to Hokkaido.

But now that he really and truly had someplace that he wanted to be, it was as if the whole city of Nerima was conspiring to throw him off his track. It might have helped if he knew where this Saint Hebereke School for Young Girls was at…or maybe not knowing was a decided advantage. All he knew was that he had set out intending to follow somebody who was headed in that direction.

Strangely everyone he asked denied any knowledge of the place, or even the way to the Tendo dojo. He had a promise to fulfill, and he was sincerely trying his best, but his best was sadly lacking at this point as he beseeched the heavens for mercy. If he could not find Saint Hebereke, then how in the name of the Gods was he going to find Akane?

"Ryoga?" a familiar voice asked, "Is that you, old buddy?"

"Ucchan?" Ryoga whirled around, finding his childhood friend outside of a building that looked strangely like a school gymnasium, only Ukyo was in full battle gear, spatulas at the ready and a serious business look flashing in her gorgeous sandalwood eyes.

"About time you showed up!" she sounded genuinely pleased and vexed at one and the same time, "Akane's been looking all over for you, you big goofball."

"Akane?" Ryoga looked around, "Then…I've come to the right place?"

"Saint Hebereke, yeah," Ukyo replied, "I thought you were going to tag along with us. How did you manage to get lost this time?"

"I don't know," he replied, a slow smile growing to a broad grim as the realization hit him, "But I actually made it! I found my way! This must mean that my heart…Akane! I'm here! Wait for me, I'll…"

"This way, you Jackass," Ukyo steered him around and shoved him towards the building, "I need your help to find Perfume!"

"Perfume?" Ryoga was well known for having a one-track mind, so the sudden shift in gears was jarring.

"Yeah, that psycho Kodachi kidnapped her when my back was turned!" Ukyo snarled, "When I get my hands on her she'll be soooo sorry she messed with me…"

"Kodachi…?" Ryoga blinked, recalling the girl who had helped him train Akane for the past several days, "But…she seemed so nice…"

Ukyo said something very unladylike as she continued to drag him into the building…

The sound of a cat-like scream shocked Nabiki as she glanced down at Shampoo, unprepared to hear the lovely Amazon utter such an incongruous sound, or the look in the Amazon's eyes as her lids fluttered open, and then she jumped to her feet and cried, "Cousin! Perfume needs Shampoo quick!"

Before Nabiki could ask for an elaboration her companion was already in motion. Shampoo headed for the stairs leading down from the roof and Nabiki followed close behind as they headed down to the gymnasium floor, hearing the bout already under way with students on both sides of the arena cheering the combatants on. Nabiki took note of the flash of the ribbon but was more caught by the sight of something dangling from Keiko's left arm, hampering her movements.

She hesitated, but Shampoo did not even flinch as she reached the side of the arena platform and rocketed onto the stage, moving like a guided missile and quite heedless of the flashing ribbons as she shot one hand forward and Kiia-ed.

The chain binding Perfume's cage snapped as Shampoo grabbed it up with her other hand as she reached the opposite side of the arena, cradling the cage in both arms as she said, "Cousin, you forgive Shampoo? Shampoo not realize you in danger until you send to her…"

"You!" Kodachi suddenly halted in the middle of the fight and pointed with her streamer, "The villainous wench who dares try to ensnare my darling Kaneda! How dare you now interfere in the affairs of Kuno Kodachi?"

"Shut mouth, stupid Rose person!" Shampoo whirled around, her face livid with outrage, "You no bring Airen into this or Shampoo stomp you like ricepaper!"

"Shampoo?" Akane came up to her, "Thank the Kami you're here! That cage was slowing Keiko down something awful, but now she can fight fairly again. You'd better get Perfume to Ukyo quick before she has a fit! She's been so worried ever since she was taken."

Perfume came to full attention within her cage. Ukyo was worried for her? This was news! It almost made the whole stupid experience worth all the bother, although she was still finding it hard to keep her eyes straight. Whoever concocted Kodachi's potions ought to be cited for excessive overmixture of the components. No competent apothecary worthy of the name would allow for these sorts of unwholesome side effects!

"Yes," Shampoo agreed, "Shampoo take Cousin to Ukyo now. Be back in time to watch end of fight. Keiko-san, stomp Rose girl into canvas for Shampoo!"

"My pleasure," Keiko smiled, "All right you rotten cheater, this is where we take the gloves off!"

"Indeed?" Kodachi said with a haughty lilt, "You overestimate yourself, Peasant, and when I am done with you I'll get even with your little friend and her pet kitty, and then I'll have Kaneda-sama for my very own! Won't that be lovely?"

Nabiki had just caught up with everyone in time to hear and cringe at that last comment. She watched Shampoo take off with Perfume in tow and felt a sort of relief at not having to confront her this way…and before a room full of people. She was about to address herself to Akane when Ryonami suddenly appeared and said, "Sempei! How good that you're here! I've got the latest bet figures if you'd care to see my ledger?"

Nabiki sighed as she watched Keiko easily dodge a billy club that suddenly jutted spikes, then saw the Referee look away as though ignoring the clear weapons violation. She knew a fixed match when she saw one, but Keiko had dealt with this kind of thing in a ring where professionals were survivors. She suddenly had no doubt about the outcome. Kodachi had her bag of tricks, but Keiko had limitless determination, and it was plain from her expression that she would be fighting in earnest.

She nodded to Ryonami and accepted the girl's proffered ledger, scanning over the names and numbers while mentally adding up the figures. In some ways business would come before pleasure, she was just glad to note that her bet on Keiko was at substantial odds that insured a quick profit. Something told her she might soon be in need of some easy spending money.

Unknown to her Ranma saw this exchange and frowned. Kuno Tatawaki noticed his expression and said, "What distresses you so, friend Saotome? Your friend Keiko is doing very well to have lasted this long against my twisted sister's vile efforts."

"It's Nabiki," Ranma sighed, "I just can't figure her out sometimes, Kuno-Sempei."

"Ah yes," Kuno turned his head to regard the lovely middle Tendo daughter, "She is a rare flower of womanhood, one I would gladly seek for a date if she were not your promised iinazuke. I envy you for the company you keep, Saotome-kun."

"So do I…mostly," Ranma murmured, wondering what Nabiki found so interesting about one of the foremost bet takers of Furinkan High School…

"Uh…this way?" Ryoga hesitated.

"This way, you…" Ukyo bit off her frustrated reaction and sighed, "Sorry…just nerves. This business with Perfume has got me rattled."

"Uh, I don't mean to pry, Ucchan," Ryoga said as he stayed close to her side so as not to get lost while they searched around behind the Gymnasium, heading for the boiler room, "And I know it's not my business, but this Perfume…well…"

"You want to know if I'm interested in her?" Ukyo asked, "I'm not…at least not that way, but I do feel obligated to her, this whole Amazon Law business and such…"

"Oh," Ryoga seemed relieved, which caused Ukyo to eye him sidelong.

"What?" she said in challenge, "You don't believe me? You think I'm some kind of a…?"

"No, Ucchan," Ryoga assured her, "I'd never think anything like that about you. It's just…well… until a few days ago I…thought you were a boy…"

"And you think that means I'm a Hentai?" she sniffed, "Believe it or not, Ryoga-kun, I can still feel like a girl even when I'm dressed as a boy. I like men, even if I've avoided allowing myself to feel anything for any guy until Ranma…" she sighed, then said more insistently, "I didn't stop being a girl just because I stopped dressing like one!"

"Well, I…wouldn't know about any of that," Ryoga hesitated, "It's just…"

"Just what?" she turned on him, "Spit it out! What were you just thinking, Ryoga?"

"You might not have much of a choice either way," Ryoga shrugged, "I know Nabiki thinks the same way about Shampoo, only there's got to be more to her story than she's telling us. The way she looks at Shampoo sometimes…"

Ukyo blinked as she looked at the boy more alertly. Ryoga seemed so dense most of the time, that he might actually be capable of such sensitive insight had never occurred to her as she gasped, "You think so?"

"It's…pretty obvious to any guy who cares about her," Ryoga looked down, refusing to elaborate.

Ukyo slowly smiled, "Why Ryoga-kun…don't tell me you have feelings for both Nabiki-chan and her sister? And here I always thought you were such a loner…"

Ryoga was about to say something when Shampoo turned the corner with the caged Perfume in her arms. Shampoo smiled and said, "There Ukyo-san is! Shampoo has present for Ukyo-san, you see?"

"Perfume?" Ukyo gasped in relief as she turned around to see the caged creature, when all of a sudden that cage exploded outward. Perfume was so overcome with joy to see Ukyo in her battle dress, realizing that she was the probable reason, and her enthusiasm caused a sudden burst in Ki energy that allowed her to claw the bars of the cage as though they were made of sugar instead of wire.

Before Ukyo had a chance to react she found a bundle of fur plastered onto her face, knocking her down as though she had been clobbered by a powder puff. Perfume curled up on her chest and started purring contentedly while Ukyo struggled to try and pry her off.

Shampoo stared at the ruptured cage in her hand, then softly murmured, "Shampoo not know Cousin could do that."

"Love knows no boundaries," Ryoga philosophized, then remembered his own personal quest and said, "Um…which way back into the Gymnasium?"

Shampoo just gave him a snort and pushed him in the right direction, "That way, stupid boy!"

"MPH RRR PHAMEE!" Ukyo's muffled cry sounded more incomprehensible than most other Japanese to Shampoo's ears, so she just smiled and ignored the happy couple. It was far from her place to interfere in her Cousin's happiness, and she wanted to see Nabiki again, so she elected to take Ryoga by the hand to make sure he actually got where he was going. She was glad that Ukyo seemed to be gradually coming to accept Perfume as her Airen, and it was good that she was this strongly protective. Great Grandmother might even approve, but for now she wanted to see Arigami Keiko hurt Kuno Kodachi very badly.

Then it would be her turn! She smiled at the chance to finally vent some of her frustration against the Kuno family, both members of which were becoming an annoyance, the sort Amazons knew how to deal with…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/UFO sightings: Shadowmane@msn.com