Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Food Fight... ( Chapter 53 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

Kasumi answered the knock on their door and looked out into what, on first impression, appeared to be a solid wall of muscles.

It took a moment for her to correct the angle of her vision, and then she gazed up, and up until she finally found the face of a very large man with broad, square features, blond hair short-cropped in a flattop buzz-cut. The man had on a pair of dark sun glasses and was wearing a short-sleeved vest that gave her an ample view of broad shoulders and rock-hard biceps. The man's arms looked as though they would have intimidated your average gorilla, but in proportion to his basic size they somehow seemed natural. The man radiated power, and even at rest he seemed to contain effortless grace and an abundance of robust stamina, the sort of man you might dream about if you were anyone but Kasumi.

If she had to guess his age she would have put him somewhere in his thirties, but that could just be his physical condition making him seem younger than he was. Despite his robust constitution she would have more conservatively placed him in his early forties, noting just a touch of gray about the temples.

"Excuse me," he said, his voice very deep and manly, "I was wondering if you might help me, miss…?"

"Ah," Kasumi caught herself blushing and merely smiled before replying, "Tendo Kasumi. And you are?"

"Colonel William Guile," the man replied, flipping open his wallet to show a United Nations ID card. He removed his glasses and said, "I'm very sorry to intrude on you like this, Miss Tendo, but I was hoping that you might help me locate someone whom I understand has been living at your address?"

"Hai?" Kasumi asked, noting that the man was obviously an American but spoke excellent Japanese and seemed to know something of proper manners. She also noted that he did not wear a wedding ring on his left hand, as was the American custom, so there was a very good chance that he was single.

The man thumbed through his wallet again and came up with a photograph that looked very old and slightly faded with signs that it had been handled quite often and was fraying about the edges. He held it out to her as she reluctantly glanced down to see the face of a young girl, perhaps no more than seven or eight years of age. Red hair, blue eyes and a face full of mischief. Without meaning to Kasumi gaped at the face and managed to stammer out, "Nani?"

"Have you seen her?" the man sounded very excited at noticing her reactions, "Please, it's been close to ten years but I have to know if you have seen a young woman named Arigami Keiko anywhere about Nerima? Is she the one you have living under your roof?"

"Ah," Kasumi tried to think of something proper to say but found herself at a loss.

He sighed, taking back the photo, "I'm sorry if I have come at an inconvenient time. If you like I could come back later…"

"Oh, no…that won't be necessary," Kasumi said as she stepped back from the door, "Would you like to come inside and have a seat? My Aunt Nodoka is here…would you mind if I go fetch her, Guile-san?"

"By all means," Guile replied, feeling a surge of excitement building up in him, though he knew that it was dangerous to get his hopes up yet again. One too many false leads had led to tragedy--not to mention some awkward situations that he would rather not remember.

"I will be right back," Kasumi assured him as she left the man in the main room and sought Nodoka in the kitchen…

"Okay," Nabiki sputtered as hot water cascaded off of her body, "We know that works. What temperature was it this time?"

Doctor Tofu Ono examined the thermometer then made a notation on his pad as he replied, "Twenty-point-three Celsius, approximately eighty seven-point-four degrees Fahrenheit. Below that, the change is much slower than the instant change you want when you're in a hurry. It takes about three seconds for the transformation to occur at this low a level."

"All right," Nabiki replied as she picked up the marker pen and made a notation on the wall chart they had erected, which showed a steady Bell-curve effect from all the previous notations, "Rate of speed versus degree of change with the lowest setting occurring around about eighteen-point-one degree Celsius, or just over eighty one degrees Fahrenheit. At that temperature it rakes almost as much as half of a minute to change, so we've pretty much established that there is a remarkable consistency with which Jusenkyo curses are temperature affected."

"You don't sound very surprised by all of this," Doctor Tofu noted.

"I was expecting something like this when we started conducting these tests, Sensei," Nabiki replied, "In spite of appearances to the contrary, it seems Magic does work along rules and set principles very similar to the ones applied to normal physics. I guess that just confirms the odd adage about technology resembling magic to the uninitiated. Magic is just a form of science that goes well beyond conventional understanding, which means that it is possible to comprehend its functions…"

"With the hope of some day mastering it and binding it to your will?" Tofu concluded for her, "Sounds to me like the operating definition for a magician."

Nabiki had to smile at that as she said, "Well, I've been studying Ki Force mastery with Gramps and Elder Cologne, and ever since our run in with the Ronin a few weeks back I've taken a serious interest in learning all that I can about the operational principles. It just occurred to me that maybe I might be able to somehow turn this curse to my advantage in a way I haven't yet been able to. Up until now I've been totally subject to the whimsy of fate, which seems to be intent on getting me wet at every possible opportunity. I thought it would help to know for a fact if there might be some ground rules about the Magic that could work to my advantage."

"That is reasonable," Tofu nodded, "And whatever you discover could ultimately benefit the others who have a Jusenkyo curse."

"I sure hope so," Nabiki smiled, "At the very least it would be a good thing if we could teach Perfume not to turn into a…ah…furry beast whenever I'm around. I know Ukyo would appreciate that, not to mention Keiko and Kodachi."

"And of course my assistant," Tofu noted suggestively, "Your Uncle Genma."

"Yeah, well…whatever," Nabiki said in a more absent voice, setting aside the towel she had just employed for drying herself off.

Tofu looked at the young woman with the forward bangs and Chinese pony tail that bound her auburn hair down the middle of her back and smiled, "You certainly do have a very interesting life, Nabiki-san."

"Tell me about it," Nabiki snorted in reply, "I turn into a guy when I get wet, I'm married to a purple haired Amazon who's having my kid, the guy I'm engaged to is engaged to my best friend who also happens to be married to another Amazon who is cousin to my wife, and on top of all that her wife also changes into my worst nightmare, and that's just the domestic picture! I won't even go into the details of what school has been like lately."

"Oh yes," Tofu adjusted his glasses, "I'd heard Principle Kuno had recently been reassigned to Furinkan. He's been away for a couple of years visiting Hawaii. I imagine Kodachi must be pleased to have her father back…"

"You think so?" Nabiki looked at him in surprise before explaining, "Tofu-Sensei, Kodachi and Tatawaki Kuno have not seen their father in years, and from what I've been able to glean they haven't missed his company either. Kodachi complains that old man Kuno is a certified nut case, which ought to give you some idea of how extreme that is. I think the man is a complete loon and I'm not at all surprised that she prefers to hang around our house and avoid him."

"I guess mental instability must run in that family," Tofu speculated with a sigh, "Of course I blame it mostly on their father. I…would hate to comment on what I know concerning the mental state of their mother. I was not the family physician who treated her prior to her…suicide…but I heard some details about the case. I'm afraid…the Kuno children did not have the best sort of upbringing."

"I've never been able to get Kodachi to open up about that," Nabiki said thoughtfully, "Akane knows a lot more, but I think even she's in the dark about just how bad Kodachi and Tatawaki had it growing up. There's been some hint of child abuse…"

"Yes," Tofu coughed and looked away, "Kodachi's mother taught her gymnastics, but when she was eleven…well…I've heard the rumors. The official records are sealed at the request of the family, but I do know that I saw bruises on her arms once when I filled in for a colleague and briefly treated patients from her school. I can only imagine what sort of ordeal she endured before her mother decided to end it…"

"So now she's a virtual orphan on both sides of her family," Nabiki noted, "I do feel sorry for her, which is probably why I haven't made more of a fuss about her relationship with Akane."

"Your sister does seem to have been a stabilizing influence on her, though," Tofu pointed out, then saw the wry smirk on Nabiki's face as she fixed him with her most sardonic expression.

"Not that kind of relationship. I happen to know beyond question that Kuno Kodachi has been…intimate with my sister."

"You mean they share more than dress sizes?" Tofu smiled at the thought, then his expression became pronounced as he slowly comprehended what Nabiki was really implying, "Nani?"

"I've no proof of it, of course," Nabiki shrugged, "And it really is Akane's business what she does with her friends. It's not like I'm in a position to go pointing any fingers…"

"Nab-chan!" Ranma called out as he rushed into the office without knocking, "There you are, I…"

"Yo, Ranma-kun," Nabiki turned around, her expression brightening immediately as she caught sight of her iinazuke, "Where's the fire?"

"Fire?" Ranma blinked, slowly looking down to find that Nabiki was wearing a very tiny bathing suit that looked like three tiny patches of cloth held together with dental floss and he most notably swallowed.

"Sure," she continued to smile, enjoying the way he was studying her near-nude body, "The way you came rushing in just now I figured the house must be on fire or something. Usually you're more polite than this."

"Ah…" Ranma swallowed, his eyes very round as he forced himself to look into her eyes before saying, "Actually I wanted you to come with me to Ucchan's restaurant. She and Shampoo…"

Nabiki groaned, "Not another food fight? Excuse me, Tofu-Sensei. It's business as usual for my home-life."

"Not at all," Doctor Tofu replied, "We'll continue these tests another time."

"Swell," Nabiki said as she pulled on her golden silk Chinese-style pajamas and headed for the doorway, pausing to slip her feet into her sandals, then grabbed Ranma by the arm as the two headed off to deal with their latest outbreak of domestic problems…

Nodoka was not entirely thrilled at the news that they had company and said so.

"Kasumi-chan, haven't I spoken with you before about inviting strangers into our house while your father and my husband are away? Remember what happened the last time?"

"I know, Obasama," Kasumi replied in tones less cheerful than was her usual wont, "But this man has a photograph, and he knows Arigami Keiko."

That got Nodoka's attention, and in good order both women confronted the huge foreigner whom they found kneeling on their floor in an attitude of proper respect. He looked up at Nodoka and nodded politely to her as he got to his feet and made a proper bow. He then once more showed his credentials before saying, "Forgive my intrusion, it was not my intent to disturb the harmony of your house."

"Well," Nodoka said as she quickly recovered from her pleasant surprise at finding this man had some manners, "My niece informs me that you have some business with Keiko…"

"I'm afraid so, Tendo-san," the man replied with a note of sadness in his voice.

"Saotome," she corrected, "Would it be rude of me to ask the nature of your business?"

"It is personal, Saotome-san," the man replied with a frank look that told of his reluctance, "But for what it is worth I am not here to cause trouble. If anything, I am here to make amends for a great wrong that I did to Keiko-chan and her mother a great many years ago."

"You were a friend of Keiko's family?" Nodoka asked in surprise.

"No," he said with infinite sadness, "Not a friend…at least not a true one, not the way it really mattered. I only just found out what happened to her and her mother, which is the reason why I've sought her out now after so many years. It is very important that I speak with Keiko-chan as soon as she can be told where to find me…"

"Ohiyo!" called a cheerful Akane as she appeared at the rear patio, along with her friends Kodachi, Ryoga, and--of course--Arigami Keiko. The quartet at once took note of the strange man, and Akane said, "Don't tell me we have company again? Who is it this time, and what's his complaint?"

"Complaint?" the blond haired giant replied with uplifted bushy eyebrows, right before he locked eyes with the astonishing redhead who had moved out from around behind Akane.

"Daddy?" she managed to gasp out in tones of astonished disbelief.

"Daddy?" everyone else managed to chorus as the burly giant slowly rose to his feet and stared down at Keiko with eyes that drank her in like a tall mug of beer.

"Keiko-chan?" he finally managed to speak with a gentleness that was surprising in a man so huge and rugged looking, "You've…grown…you look almost like your mother…"

All at once Keiko was smiling and priming her long red hair in a way that looked foolishly feminine in one so tomboyish, "You think so, Daddy? Ah…wait a minute…I'm mad at you for abandoning Momma and me…"

"I know," he winced, "It's too late to say that I'm sorry. If I'd only known how long I'd be gone I would have asked your mother to marry me."

Keiko was smiling, either from joy or something else, as she took two steps forward then threw a solid punch at the man's mid-section, which he did not block and fully absorbed, rocking back a little on his heels with a mild grunt.

"Better," he managed to cough before speaking normally again, "I see you've also been keeping up on your lessons…"

"Come here, Daddy!" Keiko cried as she threw her arms around the man and hugged him tightly, "I've missed you so much…"

"How interesting," Kodachi finally spoke, "So you are the mysterious father we have heard so much about, the Air Force officer from America who fathered our good friend here."

"Guilty as charged," Guile replied as he reached out and picked Keiko up by her shoulders, lifting her a foot off the ground as he held her at arms length and said, "What have you been telling them about me, little one?"

"Nothing but the truth, Daddy," Keiko replied with an honest smirk.

"Uh oh," the man winced, "I'm in trouble…"

"This is all very interesting," Nodoka remarked, "And I'm happy for you, Keiko-chan, being reunited with your father and all…but did you not just say that you were here on personal business?'

"Now that she's here, I don't suppose it matters if we have an audience," Guile said as he set his daughter back on her feet and once more looked down at her grimly, "Keiko-chan…I know I haven't been much of a father these last ten years, and I know what happened to you after I went back to the States…"

"You don't have to say it, Daddy," Keiko's expression was pained, although she still managed to say it smiling, "It's all in the past, and I've learned to turn a new chapter…"

He shook his head negatively, "I'm afraid it isn't that simple. Look…I don't know how else to tell you this, and there's no gentle way to say it but…" he faltered.

"What?" Keiko saw the tenseness around his eyes as the man before her fought to control his emotions, "Look, what happened to mother really wasn't your fault…"

"That's just it," Guile said grimly, "It was my fault, it was all my fault, the abandonment, your family rejecting the both of you, and then that cruise you took that…well, actually, some of that wasn't really my fault at all, but it's not because of that…unpleasantness…that I came looking for you now."

"What is it then, Daddy?" Keiko was growing worried by the man's hesitation. If she did not know better she would have thought that her father was related to Ranma.

Colonel William Guile took a very deep breath then spoke the words that he knew would shatter his daughter's peace, quite possibly forever, "It's your mother…she's alive. I just learned about it a few days ago while on an assignment. I dropped everything and came here once I got word that you were staying with the Tendos."

"Momma?" Keiko gasped, "Alive? But…where is she?"

"Lao Kung," Guile answered, and that was when the trouble really started…

"What the…?" Nabiki paused at the entrance to Ucchan's restaurant, seeing Perfume lounging against the counter with a slightly pained expression while Mousse was running here and about trying to fill out orders at a speed that left him slightly ragged.

"Perfume," Ranma turned to the Amazon, "Are they still at it?"

Perfume nodded towards the kitchen, then at once launched herself from the counter as four bowls of ramen came sailing out through the menu slot, which she caught effortlessly and delivered to the customers while receiving their applause, making it seem almost like it was all rehearsed for their enjoyment.

Nabiki sighed, "Come on, Ranchan, let's see what those two baka are up to."

As expected the kitchen was in pandemonium with two figures darting about the place furiously snatching up food at seeming random while pitching it across the room to be fended by the other. Ukyo was presently scooping up noodles from a boiling hot pot and tossing them at Shampoo, who swatted them onto the grill where she furiously played with them before flipping them off with a spatula for Ukyo to catch upon a hot plate. Ukyo applied the garnishes and seasonings then threw the results out the slot for Perfume to intercept and deliver. She then slung her baker's peel around and used the spatula to flip a loaf of unbaked pan bread at Shampoo, who caught it with one hand while using a foot to flip open the door to the oven and slide it inside with one easy motion.

She also removed a roasted duck with her bare hands and tossed it--pan and all--at Ukyo, who used her peel to knock it from said tray so that she could scoop it out of the air with a silver tray and set it down for preparation and garnishing, in seconds rendering it fit to serve before royalty. She set this on the edge of the ledge of the menu slot before turning back to intercept Shampoo's next food offensive.

Nabiki shook her head sadly and watched in silence as these two continued their culinary match with back-and-forth precision that would astound the chefs at a Benny Hanna's. She was about to say something when Cologne appeared, hopping on her staff to intercept Nabiki while the battle raged with on oblivious to circumstances.

"Don't interfere, Daughter-in-law," the Amazon Elder urged, "This is training. My Great Granddaughter and other Daughter-in-law are practicing the arts of Kitchen Kung Fu, once practiced by the Monks of Shaolin in ancient times when food was plentiful and the favors of the Emperor were courted."

"And of course those pesky Monks stole the basic principles from the Amazons?" Nabiki asked with droll sarcasm.

"Of course," Cologne replied matter-of-factly, "Everyone tries to copy or steal from us. The method this was based upon is called Two Wan Noodles, but I have modified it somewhat to accommodate such Japanese delicacies as Okonomiyaki."

Nabiki idly noted five said Japanese pizzas currently sailing out of the kitchen like a formation of miniature UFOs and said, "It's not that I object to the training, but I thought we had agreed that Shampoo was going to take it easy from now on. After all she is into her second trimester…"

"Tut, tut," Cologne said dismissively, "You think I would let her do anything that was too stressful? Never forget that I have borne children as well in my time and know precisely where the line must be drawn. But you can't exactly expect her to sit out the entire nine months like some pampered Japanese housewife, not after I have seen to it that she has spent the better part of her life training to be the best of the best. Shampoo has her pride and dignity to think of, and a certain amount of exercise is actually good for the development of her baby."

"I don't know about that," Ranma said as he watched Shampoo toss the now-baked bread at Ukyo, who was ready with a pair of spatulas in hand to slice it up before it landed neatly on a plate, "Seems to me that she could tire herself out a lot faster at this rate."

"Oh?" Cologne eyed him drolly, "And tell me, Son-in-law, just how many babies have you had or delivered? I've been doing this for three hundred years, never forget…"

"How could we forget it?" Nabiki snorted, "You never let us."

Just then Shampoo took notice of their audience and turned away from her opponent to grin, "Airen! You back from seeing Doctor-friend?"

"Hey, Nab-chan," Ukyo smiled broadly, "Come to watch us spar together?"

"More like ask what you two are doing," Nabiki sniffed as she looked around at the kitchen. It figured that the place would actually look neater after such a melee where neither girl would permit the other the satisfaction of leaving a mess in their wake, "This is your idea of training?"

"Sure is for my School of Anything Goes Martial Arts Cooking," Ukyo replied, then saw the scowl Cologne gave her and said, "Hey, I can take a break now and then, you know…"

"Of course," Cologne said with a touch of frost in her tone, "When I say you can. It is bad form to allow yourselves to be distracted when there are visitors present. You must work harder and build up your speed so that you can prepare your meals in half the time that you presently manage."

"Slave driver," Ukyo muttered under her breath, then adopted a sickly sweet smile as she gave Cologne a heartfelt, "Please…?"

Nabiki saw Ukyo mimic a hand-wringing gesture and could not help chuckling, in spite of the sour look this earned her from Cologne's direction. She just nodded her had and said, "Better give her what she wants this time, Elder, or we're all going to get cavities from this performance."

Cologne just sniffed as she eyed first one daughter-in-law, then the other, "I suspect you are right on that score. Very well, a ten minute break, but no more than this will I permit."

No sooner had she said this then Perfume burst through the menu slot and came vaulting into Ukyo's arms with a joyful, "Haiya! Airen take break to be with Perfume-bride? I good way to make time fly while Ukyo-chan gets wind back."

"Hey, easy, let me breathe first!" Ukyo cried as she fended off Perfume's affections, albeit with less urgency than she might have employed had she truly been in any distress.

"Shampoo think Cousin have right idea," Shampoo smiled with a leer as she came up alongside Nabiki with a sultry purr, then surprised everyone by turning and grabbing Ranma to plant a big kiss on his mouth that left the poor boy's mind reeling.

"Hey!" Ukyo protested, turning away from her own Amazon assailant, much to Perfume's obvious annoyance.

"Spatula girl no worry," Shampoo grinned as she removed her lips from the stupefied Ranma, "I give boy kiss to make him know what he missing. Airen no mind if Shampoo give boy her affections," she coyly eyed Nabiki over one shoulder and positioned herself between Ranma and her Airen, "If Airen want, she and boy Ranma can share Shampoo at same time, maybe both do her as men, Shampoo much like that."

"Hah?" both Ranma and Nabiki said together, each trying to comprehend the physical significance of what the Amazon was suggesting.

"Or maybe Spatula girl like try Airen?" Shampoo further insinuated with a leer, "Shampoo like watch that, maybe Perfume-cousin no mind sharing too? Is good way pass time, and can be considered part of training."

Now everyone--including Perfume--was beat red at the playful suggestiveness of Shampoo's sensuous tones while Nabiki--having the most vivid imagination of all those present--tried furiously not to picture what the outcome would be of such an all out five-way orgy. She was rather mindful of the half-glance Ukyo paid her at the suggestion that she do it with Nabiki's male form and knew from the guilty start Ukyo turned towards Perfume that she was not the only one envisioning such a picture.

"Sham-chan," Nabiki found her voice a bit more hoarse than she would have liked, "That's a very…interesting suggestion, but I hardly think Cologne intends to give us that much time off. What say we postpone your idea for later?"

"Yeah," Ukyo agreed before murmuring in soft undertone, "Like when Hell freezes over…"

Perfume looked at her and had a sudden mischievous impulse that prompted her to lean even closer to Ukyo and murmur, "Perfume think Airen protest too much. I think you make nice bed-mate for Shampoo-cousin."

"What?" Ukyo blurted out without thinking, "Are you kidding? I haven't even done it with Ran…ah…" she eyed Ranma with a nervous expression.

"Don't mind me," Ranma said as he pretended an indifference he could not possibly be feeling, "I thought we all agreed to wait until after graduation before we consummated anything. Besides, you've got Perfume and Nab-chan's got Shampoo and, well…" he shrugged in an exaggerated manner.

"Don't tell me you've never thought about sleeping with one of us, Ranchan," Nabiki playfully needled, almost immediately rewarded with a guilty start as his face reddened once again.

"What kind of a guy do you think I am?" he helplessly protested, "I'm not trying to rush anybody, and I think it's great you've both got somebody who can keep you busy until we all get married."

"Boy think he wait that long?" Shampoo grinned wickedly, "You think we not know you spy on us in dojo?"

"Hey!" Ranma immediately went on the defensive, "I'm just seeing to it nobody tries intruding on you guys or nothing. You never know when the little freak or that Gosunkugi guy might show up to take pictures!"

"Ah hah," Ukyo said skeptically, "And that's why I've also caught you hanging around the restaurant after hours?"

Nabiki watched as Ranma tried to squirm out of this latest attempt to corner him on the engagement issue when a voice called out from the dining room area, "Tendo Nabiki! I know you're here, delinquent! Come out and face me!"

"Mou," Nabiki winced as she glanced back towards the restaurant, "That's all I need, another encounter with Miss Hinako-Sensei."

"You want to duck out the back door while we cover for you, Nab-chan?" Ukyo asked in concern.

"No," Nabiki heaved a heartfelt sigh as she turned around, "I may as well face the music now instead of waiting until class tomorrow."

As she came out of the kitchen into the main dining area, however, her resolve nearly crumbled when she caught sight of Hinako Ninomiya's expression. The seemingly young girl was gazing at Nabiki crossly as if implying every manner of vice and evil that could conceivably be imagined. It had been like that since the first day their paths had crossed, when Nabiki had learned first-hand what Hinako-Sensei was capable of doing. The battle lines had been drawn instantly between the Homeroom teacher and the student who allegedly ran Furinkan high school with a velvet glove. Though there had been no immediate victor in their subsequent encounters it was clear that Hinako regarded Nabiki as a challenge to be brought into line with school policy, no matter who had to suffer as a consequence.

For Nabiki's part she nodded affably to the diminutive teacher, knowing full well that Hinako could draw a coin and change herself at any moment. Effecting an ease that she did not really feel she smiled at the juvenile teacher and said, "Greetings, Sensei. How can I be of service?"

"You were supposed to meet with me in counseling today, Tendo-san," Miss Hinako declared without smiling, "You never showed up."

"That was today?" Nabiki affected a look of surprise, "Oh, I'm very sorry, I got distracted by other concerns of a personal nature. Should we reschedule it for next week?"

"This would make it the third such time you asked to reschedule," Hinako said without smiling, and Nabiki saw that she was clutching her trademark coin in her tiny little hand, a sure sign that she was mere instants from calling up her infamous ki-draining battle aura attack.

"Well, it hasn't been my intention to avoid you, Sensei," Nabiki replied in her most insinuative tone of congenial contrition, "I know it's very important for teachers and their students to communicate, even though--technically speaking--I'm not a part of your homeroom."

"That does not figure into this," Hinako said with more dignity than her childlike bearing would normally convey, "You are still a student of Furinkan and I am a teacher called upon by the faculty to keep truants and delinquents in line…"

"But you're not seriously suggesting that I'm a delinquent and a truant?" Nabiki asked innocently.

"You have been absent from class an unprecedented number of times," Hinako replied, "And there is talk that you engage in gambling and extortion from other students. I would call that very delinquent."

"Rumors are not the same thing as fact, Sensei," Nabiki said reasonably, "As for my absences, I have had a perfectly good reason for each and every time that I've been forced to miss class."

"You may have perfected the art of the alibi, but that does not convince me that you have had justification for so many absences," Hinako said with a sour look, "As for the rumors, some come from very reliable sources, both faculty and several of our most prominent students."

"I see," Nabiki replied, thinking privately that she would need to call a senior staff meeting in the very near future, "Well in that case perhaps you can tell me what it is I'm supposed to have done that would label me a delinquent?"

"Try a betting pool over which teacher would come to school with a hangover after the Fall Harvest party that was held just last week," Hinako said with narrowed eyes and a tight expression.

"Ah," Nabiki responded with a sheepish expression.

"And the pictures you had commissioned showing the Assistant Vice Principal wearing a futu astride a donkey that you used for blackmail purposes," Hinako continued, "To convince him to squash the last investigation."

"Blackmail is such a harsh term…" Nabiki winced slightly.

"And the love notes that got published in the school newspaper," Hinako was glaring, "Between two members of the faculty who have since had to apologize for lewd and lascivious behavior…and then there is that disgusting gnome you claim for your founder…"

"Hey!" Nabiki protested, "He's your sensei too, in case you've forgotten…"

"Perhaps at one time," Hinako said, "But I don't remember much beyond that time, and at any rate it can have no bearing on the present."

"I couldn't agree with you more," Nabiki said with a sage and benevolent smile, "Why don't we discuss this over a nice dish of ice cream?"

"Ice cream?" Hinako brightened, momentarily distracted by the appeal to her juvenile instincts before her more adult sensibilities kicked in and she glowered, "Bribery will not buy your way out of this one, Tendo-san. You are going to have to face up to your actions and make an account for your conduct to the school board or there will be consequences."

The coin in her hand seemed to catch the light in such a way that telegraphed her meaning, and suddenly those patrons in Ucchan's Café reacted by getting up out of their seats and clearing a space around the impending combatants.

Nabiki silently cursed her situation as she sought for an outing. Although she had no doubt of her ability to lunge swiftly and disarm Hinako before the teacher could invoke her spell of attack, she knew that--short of taking Hinako down and risking immediate expulsion--she could not prevent Hinako from drawing a second coin to attack with. Nabiki knew the means by which Hinako's aura-drawing ability could be countered, but using it had its own form of risk involvement, not least of which because she had to lay a precise hold over Hinako's nerve centers, one of which was directly over the left breast.

Not that Nabiki would have any trouble laying such a grip before Hinako could bat an eyelash, but with the sort of reputation she already had around campus such a gesture was likely to be…misconstrued. Another student might not have such a problem, but Nabiki's interest in both sexes was well noted around Nerima and could lead to certain misassumption regarding her handling of the young-seeming teacher. Hardly the sort of thing she needed to add to the list of charges laid against her.

But Nabiki was never one to let a situation such as this go completely beyond her control, and rather than assume a defensive or offensive stance she instead adopted a casual air and replied, "Whatever you think is best, Sensei, for the good of Furinkan, but it hardly seems fair for you to charge me with such crimes in an informal setting. Think of the reputation you'll be giving our fair campus."

That stopped Hinako in mid-gesture. Rather than enact her Good Girl Five-Yen Attack, or Happo-Ken-Satsu she glanced around and took notice of the way people were staring at them from all corners. Time seemed to hesitate itself as she slowly drew the necessary conclusion, which Nabiki had known she would conclude, that doing this in public would hardly bolster the image of their high school.

"Very well," Hinako desisted, saving face by making it sound more like a compromise than a retreat, "But if you avoid one more meeting then I will hunt you down at the Tendo dojo and there will be an accounting this time, young lady. Be sure the old pervert knows this as well or I will hold you both responsible for any more raids on the lingerie of our students."

With that she turned about and left the restaurant, leaving a somewhat shaken Nabiki, who nonetheless maintained an air of non-concern as she watched the teacher exit.

Without needing to turn around she felt Ukyo and Ranma ease up beside her, Shampoo and Perfume hovering just beyond so as not to crowd these others. In humbled tones Ukyo murmured in her ear, "Wow...she sure was serious this time. You think maybe she's starting to lose patience with your little innocence act? I don't know about you, but I'm trembling just from the sidelines."

"I know," Nabiki replied tightly, "I'm going to have to work something out with her and soon, either that or get Master Happosai to take responsibility for his wayward student."

"Fat chance there," Ranma snorted, "Remember how he tried to get you to do that for him?"

"Yes," Nabiki replied, thinking of the incident in question where she had used the counter-attack on Hinako after a lengthy battle which left many students drained of energy for the following hour, "And I've no intention of repeating that disaster. All well and good to know how to cancel out Hinako-sensei's powers for twenty-four hours, but going through that every single day for the month it would require to make it permanent is well out of the question. The problem is…I can't help but respect her position."

"She does mean well," Ukyo agreed, "The problem is that she doesn't want to compromise, and you're a darn sight better than the thugs who used to rule Furinkan, or so everybody tells me."

"If only I knew enough about her to work out a bargaining position," Nabiki turned away, allowing some of her nervousness to show as she drank in Shampoo's silent support with a glance, then noticed the way that Cologne was regarding her from the sidelines, "You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for me, Elder?"

"I might be able to suggest something that could help," Cologne nodded sagely, "But I must say that, in all honestly, I was enjoying your little performance. It wasn't so much that she could see right through you that held her at bay, it was the way in which you managed to turn the situation around that made her back down in the end. Perhaps you should consider this the next time that you do join her in counseling."

"Counseling or therapy," Nabiki sniffed when she heard a familiar voice call out, "SEMPEI!"

She turned to see her junior assistant, Ryonami, make her appearance at Ukyo's restaurant still wearing her school uniform, which was odd since the brown haired girl normally changed into something more fashionable as soon as she got home from classes. Nabiki turned with a smile and said, "What is it, Ryo-chan?"

Ryonami came to a halt, slightly out of breath as though she had been running hard, "I've been looking all over for you! I was at your place when I heard that Hinako-Sensei was on the warpath and vowing to hunt you down…"

"Old news," Nabiki nodded, "You just missed her by one minute."

"Oh," Ryonami responded with a slightly crestfallen look, but she at once rallied to say, "That's not all…you've got a guest visiting your house and guess what? He claims to be the father of your friend, Keiko!"

"Keiko's father?" now Nabiki reacted to the news with astonishment, "After all this time he shows up? What does he want?"

"I didn't get too many details," Ryonami replied, "But I overheard him saying something about having information on the whereabouts of Keiko's mother."

"That is serious," Nabiki nodded, "I think I'd better have a look at this guy. It could be a scam, and I won't have anybody taking advantage of Keiko-chan's feelings like that."

"That's just it," Ryonami's tone and expression became oddly dreamy, "He's got a build like you wouldn't believe, and muscles the size of watermelons. He's an American but he speaks perfect Japanese, and he claims to be with one of their Special Force branches, a Pilot or something…"

"Tell me more on the way," Nabiki looked over her shoulder at her companions, "Ranchan, Sham-chan, care to back me up on this…provided Elder Cologne can do without your services for a bit?" she gave the old woman a meaningful look.

Cologne waved the point away, "Go do what you have to. I will tend things here, just in case my Daughter in law wishes to accompany you as well," she gave Ukyo a meaningful glance.

"Keiko's my friend too," Ukyo replied, squaring her shoulders, "And I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Per-chan?"

"I go where you go," Perfume declared solemnly, "Besides, I want to see if Red's father is type of man who abandon mate with no honor. Never could understand how Red great fighter if mother no lose fight to man who is father."

"I don't think that sort of combat was required in that situation," Nabiki said dryly as she headed for the door, following Ryonami's urging, "But I'd like to know more about this guy myself. Seems to me he dishonored Keiko's mother and then abandoned her for ten years. He might have had a good reason, but…"

She let the sentence go unfinished. She hardly need express her feelings on this matter in any event because her five companions all shared a similar gamut of emotions. Their tight-knit band would rally around a friend in need regardless of the circumstances…or the consequences of such actions…

Arriving at the Tendo dojo a short time later, Nabiki and her group proceeded into the common room, whereupon they found the man claiming to be Keiko's father. Nodoka, Kasumi, Keiko herself along with Akane, Ryoga and Kodachi were sitting opposite from him sharing tea with some snacks. They looked up at the party's arrival with curious interest as the blond-haired man swept their group with a neutral expression.

Nabiki halted in her tracks as she took quick measure of a fellow who looked like a brick wall sitting down, and when he stood to bow in proper greeting had a closer resemblance to a blond, flat-topped Yeti. At private estimate she place his weight at just over a hundred kilos easy with arms as thick around as one of her thighs, yet somehow looking compact and lean in spite of his dimensions. The sense of his powerful aura permeated the room, yet there was no sense of immediate threat to him, just an honest curiosity and wariness that sized her up as though to catalogue her quality as a fighter.

Nabiki recovered from her initial surprise by assuming a formal tone of her own as she returned the man's bow before declaring, "So you are the honored William Guile that we have heard so much about. What a pleasure it is to finally make your acquaintance."

"The honor is mine," the man said in perfect Japanese, "I only regret that I did not make this journey sooner, but other business detained me. Keiko has been filling me in on a few of the details. She says that you are her very good friend who got her out of a very tight situation in Hong Kong."

"Actually it was a mutually beneficial arrangement," Nabiki said as she sat down across from the fellow after having introduced Ranma as her iinazuke and made a general reference to Shampoo as the wife of her cousin, Kaneda. She similarly introduced Ukyo and Perfume without making reference to them as anything more than friends, then adopted a less formal tone as she studied the other man and said, "Forgive my bluntness, but I am curious to know where you have been for the past decade?"

"Nabiki-chan," Nodoka chided, surprised at her future daughter-in-law's manners.

"It's all right, and I can't say that I blame you," Guile replied as he nodded to Nabiki before turning to his daughter, "The details are classified, suffice to say I've been pretty busy doing private work for my government. I was briefly with the UN during a peacekeeping mission that went sour, and after that I've pretty much been from one end of the globe to the other. Haven't bothered to keep track of things here because I frankly didn't want anybody involved who might get caught up in one of my private vendettas. I've made quite a few enemies in my time and the last thing I needed was to provide them with a likely target."

"I suppose I can accept that," Nabiki replied with a shrug, ignoring the warning look Keiko passed her way at the implied skepticism, "So why are you here now?"

Keiko answered first, "Daddy says that he knows where my mother is, Nab-chan," Keiko replied, her face and expression showing her amazement as she added, "My mother is alive…after all this time I can hardly believe it…"

"Let's not get our hopes up too soon, Keiko-chan," Guile cautioned before giving Nabiki a respectful nod, then he added, "I don't blame you for having your doubts, Miss Tendo. Keiko tells me that you're a shrewd one, so I'll trust you to understand that the information I've recently obtained comes from highly classified sources. Arigami Akiko has turned up alive and well…the problem is that she's rumored to be in the custody of one Madam Lao Kung, a notorious White slaver and pirate."

"Lao Kung?" Nabiki arched both eyebrows and glanced at Keiko, who nodded confirmation.

"My former Mistress," Keiko said without preamble, "The same woman who owned me for almost three years now has possession of my mother."

Keiko's tone was guarded and neutral, but from the shadow in her eyes it was plain that she was deeply worried about the implications. Nabiki nodded in understanding then turned back to Guile and said, "What do you propose to do about it?"

The man's craggy face was set with a look of determination, "Get her back of course, one way or another."

"A splendid idea, " Kodachi suddenly spoke up, "When do we get started?"

"We?" Guile turned a look towards the lovely gymnast as if to voice the question of why she considered it her business.

"Kodachi?" Nodoka asked, giving the girl a very curious appraisal.

"She means all of us, Auntie," Akane said with equal determination, "Keiko's our friend, we can't just let her go off without offering our assistance."

"I'm afraid that's impossible," Guile shook his head, "This mission isn't for amateurs. From what I hear this Madam Lao is a dangerous customer, the type I'm used to dealing with…"

"That very unlikely," said Shampoo, speaking up for the first time since leaving the restaurant, "If Lao is who we think she is, is Amazon warrior you be facing. She very dangerous, know much that make her formidable fighter."

Guile gave the faint hint of a smile as he said, "I'm pretty dangerous too, if somebody gets on my bad side. Don't worry about me, I've faced much worse in my time."

"No likely," Perfume said as she folded her arms over her chest, "Lao is great warrior, best of her generation. Great Grandmother train her well, she learn much since leaving Amazon village. You no face Amazon before if think you her equal."

"Her real name is Lao Kane," Nabiki said simply, "I've had to worm the details from Elder Cologne, and all I know is just the general stuff, but coupled with what Kei-chan has said about her from first-hand experience, I'd say going solo against her is not a good option. Besides which, she has lots of pirates working for her, and most of these are accomplished martial artists."

"I know something about the martial arts myself, Miss Tendo," Guile assured her, "I'm not here seeking recruits and the issue is not open to discussion. I have my own team of specialists, but unfortunately this isn't an official investigation, so I'm going to have to go in with just a few close friends. Make no mistake, we will find Akiko and liberate her. I just wanted to assure Keiko-chan that everything that can possibly be done to free her mother will be done by my teammates and me. You kids have done enough just looking after her in my absence…"

"That may be so, Colonel-san," Kodachi once more noted, "But we are more than simple children when it comes to practicing the art. Do not underestimate us according to our tender years, we are quite formidable and can manage well enough to carry our weight in a crisis."

"I'm not doubting that," Guile said as he slowly rose to his feet, "In fact you remind me an awful lot of some kids I knew who used to be your ages. They turned out to be all right, but I'm not about to relive that part of my personal history all over. You've got your lives ahead of you and time enough to learn to play the heroes. Me, I'm just a tired old war-dog, but I've still got some kick in my moves and I'm not afraid to go toe-to-toe with the best that's out there…"

"Then maybe you'd like to show us what you know," said Ryoga quite unexpectedly as he also rose to his feet with a look of challenge, "If you think you're so good, then why don't you prove it with a little sparring match in the dojo?"

"Kid," Guile snorted, "I'm sure you're a real hotshot around here, but I fight in the big leagues and I'm not about to beat on somebody who's less than half my age…"

"I thought you'd say that," Ryoga nodded, and all of a sudden he drew back and came at Guile with such speed that even Nabiki had trouble following his movement.

The big man had obviously been prepared to meet an attack, but the force and speed Ryoga displayed took him by surprise and before he knew it he was sailing out through the door into the garden.

"Ryoga!" Keiko spun on him in shock.

"Oh my," Kasumi exclaimed in mild dismay.

"Don't worry, Kei-chan," Ryoga assured her as he sprang into the garden, "I'll go easy with him, after I make my point by sparring."

Guile had recovered from both his surprise and landing and was already getting back to his feet as Ryoga came hurtling towards him. Guile rubbed his chin and smiled, this time bracing for the impact with arms raised defensively, so Ryoga just bounced off him without doing more than to stagger him a little.

Guile assumed a fighting posture and smiled, "Kid, you just made one hell of a mistake, but I'm the one who'll take it easy on you."

"I don't think so," Ryoga replied as he squared off against the other man, his posture flawless as his expression seemed totally relaxed and focused without a trace of emotion. He waited only a moment before coming at Colonel Guile with a series of kicks and punches that the bigger man easily blocked, then Ryoga ducked down under Guile's counterattack and seized the opening to take an uppercut that actually picked Guile off his heels and knocked him back five meters.

"What's Ryoga trying to do?" Ukyo asked as she studied the movements of the two fighters.

"I believe I know," Nabiki said quietly as she also watched from the sidelines, aware that Ranma was tensing beside her.

"Not bad," Guile said as he recovered yer again, this time actually sounding impressed, "You've got good moves for your age, but you're no Street Fighter."

"That's what you think," Ryoga responded as he waited for the big man to make the next move, then flowed around Guile's attack and effortlessly threw the big man off balance.

Guile landed on his back but caught himself immediately and flipped to his feet before launching an all-out assault that actually connected this time, sending Ryoga sailing back across the koi pond to the opposite bank. Guile vaulted the pond and came upon Ryoga before the younger man had time to recover, but when he tried to press the advantage he found Ryoga once more bent with the flow of his punch and came around behind him, almost managing to nail Guile from behind.

It was incredible how fast the larger man could move, and the flow of his muscles made him seem like a bronzed statue come to life as he and Ryoga traded the next few punches, then Guile connected with a solid backhand that staggered the lost boy back several paces. Guile followed this up with an amazing leap that turned into a Razor Kick, flipping all the way over as he sent Ryoga flying towards the far wall of the garden. Ryoga made quite an impact where he hit, but he was only mildly staggered and was able to look up in time to see Guile charge for the clincher.

"Oh my," Kasumi murmured as she was studying Guile's body in a way that caused both of her sisters to eye her strangely.

That was when Ryoga at last smiled as though sensing triumph, then without warning stabbed a finger at the ground directly ahead of the America, shouting, "Bakusai Tenketsu!"

At once the ground beneath Colonel Guile erupted as though he had stepped upon a land mine. The big man was hurled back almost half the length of the garden before landing in a heap, somewhat stunned and bruised by the unexpected force of the maneuver.

"What the…?" Nabiki gasped.

"Hey!" Ukyo shared her surprise, "Where'd Ryoga learn to…Perfume?"

"It was no me," Perfume waved her hands in protest, "Ask Great Grandmother…she train both boys in Amazon secrets!"

"Yeah," Ranma chuckled softly, "I was wondering when the blockhead would get around to using that maneuver. He's been practicing it for the past two weeks, against me mostly."

"You?" Nabiki looked at Ranma in surprise, "What else has she been teaching you?"

Ranma was spared an answer as Guile slowly got back to his feet, Keiko having rushed to his side to check on his condition. She gave an angry glare in Ryoga's direction but was surprised when she heard her father chuckle in obvious amusement.

"Kid," Guile said as he looked down at Ryoga, "You're all right. That was a pretty sneaky maneuver, and I never even saw it coming."

"Now do you see what we mean?" Ryoga asked, "It took me most of a month to learn to do that, and Madam Lao had her entire life to master Amazon techniques even more powerful than this one."

"I won't say doesn't give me pause to consider that," Guile replied with a confident look that proved he was not so badly shaken, "But I think it fair that you should know that I'm not without my own brand of surprises."

So saying he turned away from the others and took a Martial stance, then with a sudden sharp move with both hands he cried out, "SONIC BOOM!!!" and instantly let loose with a blast that struck the far wall where Ryoga had fractured it, shattering it completely.

Guile turned around and said, "You don't live as long as I have without picking up a few tricks in my travels."

"Not bad," Keiko sounded impressed, then smiled as she looked up at Guile and said, "Care to see some of the tricks I've learned in the last few years, Daddy?"

"Maybe," he smiled down at her with obvious amusement, "You showed a lot of promise when I last set eyes on you, kid. Maybe now that I'm warmed up it might be a good time to see a little demonstration. Nothing too rough, though…" he nodded to the gaping hole in the wall, "I can pay for the damages, but I'd rather not abuse the hospitality here any more than we have."

"Why don't you test the rest of us while you're at it?" Nabiki suddenly volunteered with a smile, "Ryoga's skills are formidable, but so are mine and Ranma's, while Perfume and Shampoo know a lot about Amazon fighting skills, and Ukyo is also full of many talents."

"Thanks," Ukyo snorted, "I think."

"Nabiki-chan?" Nodoka finally said with a questioning look.

"It's all right, Auntie," Nabiki replied, "We'll take it easy on our guest. After all, we don't want property rates to decline any more than they have in Nerima."

"Awfully confident of yourselves," Guile said as he took the group in with a more cautious appraisal, "Well, I may be impressed…a little…but that doesn't change my basic decision that this is a case for the experts. Still it wouldn't hurt to see what you guys are made of…provided you do it one at a time. I'm getting on in years, and an all-out brawl is bound to be painful for somebody."

"Fine," Nabiki replied, "As long as you can agree not to dismiss us out of hand until you have seen what we are made of. At the very least it ought to give you some idea of what you could be going up against when you face Lao Kane in person."

"Fair enough," Guile said before reaching out to ruffle Keiko's hair affectionately with one of his huge hands, "But first I think I'm entitled to a little quality time with my daughter. Okay, kid…let's see what you remember."

"Sure thing, Daddy," Keiko smiled before assuming a fighting stance with a tell-tale smirk that those who knew her well had learned to take as fair warning.

"Why do I get the feeling he's going to regret this?" Ranma whispered in Nabiki's ear.

"Maybe you're getting prophetic, Ranchan," Nabiki smiled without glancing back, folding her arms confidently as she prepared to watch father and daughter go at it in earnest…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Colgate Commercial Insertions: Shadowmane@msn.com