Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Chu Wan Phat go Splat... ( Chapter 68 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

Chu Wan Phat, as his name would imply, was a very obese fellow, not stocky or heavyset but very rotund and overweight to a degree that even fat people would find excessive. He easily weighted in at over three hundred and fifty and stood (whenever he could manage to remain upright) just over five and a half feet tall, dressed immaculately in an expensive white tailored suit with matching black tie, his hair and mustache neatly groomed to give one the impression of a bowling ball made up to look like Charlie Chan.

Chalk it up to his early success in the criminal enterprises he now oversaw like a proverbial Kingpin. In his youth, Phat had been a more muscular figure, hard-edged and brutal with an intelligence that made his occasional bursts of violent temper that much more dangerous and unpredictable. He had a reputation for ruthlessness that was legend even among the seedier quarters of Hong Kong and everyone knew that it was very unwise to cross him in a business matter.

He presently was sitting down to a sumptuous dinner, surrounded by his minions in his personal mansion on the outskirts of town on an island fortress just off the coast of the mainland. At the moment he had only one real guest seated across from him at the table, a certain lady he had recently come into possession of, and whom he was attempting to entertain, very much like Sydney Greenstreet--his American Idol--would entertain Lauren Becal in the Maltese Falcon..

<"So, my dear,"> he said in amusement as he twirled fried noodles around his chopsticks, <"Soon you will be reacquainted with your daughter. Does this not excite you?">

The Japanese lady who sat meekly at the other end of the table barely lifted her eyes as she maintained a perfectly contrite position, pausing long enough to determine if she would be permitted to speak before replying in mildly accented Chinese, <"If, as you say, my Lord, then it will be as you wish it.">

Phat studied the woman who had been in his possession for over a week and marveled at the contrast between this Arigami Akiko and the girl-child whom--only a little over a year ago--had been his personal property. The mother knew how to be deferential in her responses, to betray no emotion in tone or expression, a perfectly porcelain China Doll to all appearances, so very unlike the wild-eyed, fiery redhead he well remembered. He was actually disappointed.

<"Madam Lao is sure to be here within the hour, if she keeps to her regular appointments,"> he remarked, not adding that he was slightly vexed that his agents had seen no trace of her ship since the incident with the Chinese Navy, <"She will bring the goods as promised and then you can all be together as a family, won't that be nice?">

He could tell that there was some thought going on beneath the woman's cool interior, but it was vexing how unreadable she could be. Her previous owner had been very thorough in conditioning her to her role as personal slave. Four years of learning obedience had certainly left their mark on the seemingly fragile Lady Akiko. She had learned to become the perfect concubine-wife for a man who liked soft, compliant women. He could almost admire such fine handiwork, except…

Except that he liked his women to have a bit more fire in their expressions, to show some life and more spirit, just a trace of resistance to the automatic compliance to his will that was expected from a woman in her position. The absence of that trace was faintly dissatisfying and made him wonder if indeed his people had located the right woman. He certainly hoped that he was not going to all this trouble just to bait a trap that did not have the right incentive to make the package that much sweeter.

He took a sip from his wonton stew, then frowned as he said, <"You are not eating enough. Dig in, you are much too thin as it is.">

<"If it pleases you, my lord,"> she replied automatically, then picked up her chopsticks and picked listlessly at her food, not actually taking a bite out of anything as her mood seemed altogether pensive.

Akiko knew that this man sitting across from the large table, who owned her, was expecting her to show some enthusiasm, but in truth she did not know what it was she actually felt as she had long since buried her feelings deep behind layers of time and bitter memory. Eons ago she would have been elated at the thought of seeing her child once again, but to meet Keiko now, and under these conditions…

She thought about the man who had been her owner, who had bought her from those pirates after she was half starved and half dead, who had taken pity on her and worked to cultivate the creature she had become, and who had abandoned her as she had always known he would when pressured by her new Owner, a man who truly lack the qualifications of a man if ever she had known one.

She had been a truly pitiable creature who by rights should have died at the hands of her tormentors, and in a very real sense had done so. What was left in her place was the salvaged remains of a woman who once felt confident of her destiny, who had no doubt of her own ability and integrity. Her family may have disowned her for having a child with a Gaijin out of wedlock but she had never entertained regrets for any of her past decisions. Even accepting that yachting trip with a business friend had seemed a perfectly natural choice, and who could have known that the consequences would be so devastating? Surely not Akiko, who had always thought the stories of Pirates on the High seas a part of the history books, not a going concern in the modern age of high tech navies.

The rape had been brutal, but more brutal was not knowing if the fate of her child was any worse than her own, for Akiko truly expected to die in those first few terrifying minutes. Her memory of those times was a blur now, thankfully dulled by time and distance, only her fears for her daughter had held stronger than her concerns for her own welfare. When it became plain that they were not going to kill her outright she had held out some hope for a rescue, a hope that in time grew fleeting as she grew to accept her new life, buoyed only by a sense that somehow her daughter was still alive. Surely she would have known if she were not, for they were that close as mother and daughter. For the sake of her daughter, Akiko had been determined to stay alive and so had endured her long ordeal when death would have been infinitely preferable.

But death was never an option given to her, for the man who liberated her from the Pirates had been another cut of rogue far removed from their crude lot. He had been a man in the truest sense, no common rapist, but a man who knew what he wanted and pursued it with relentless purpose.

Akiko had found herself treated very differently from what she had expected of her captivity. The man had been patient, had shown great art and refinement, bringing her slowly out of her shell until she was willing to respond to his attentions. It had not been an overnight thing, nor had she ever entertained the illusion of romance between herself and this other man, but she was grateful just the same that he had given her purpose and helped her through a terrible loneliness, teaching her how to endure one day at a time, even to find some form of pleasure in her existence, abandoning all pretence at independence.

And then he had given her over to this man, in so many ways his opposite, not really a man at all in her estimation, though she would do the things required of her without complaint. Her training was thorough and she would endure even his touch for one single fleeting glance of her lost Keiko-chan.

Her only real concern was what Keiko would think of her for living such an existence. How could she possibly explain to her long lost child her inner torment and the compromise she had made in order to continue living? Better far to die than let Keiko know how far her mother had fallen from the lady of her memories. This was why she could not feel either joy or elation at the thought of their possible reunion.

He wants something of us both, Akiko knew in a small compartment of her mind that was kept private from all others. This man is dangerous, a rapacious animal with no remorse nor conscience. He is after my Keiko and expects me to play some part in his grand scheme. I will wait and see what he has planned, and if he seeks to harm my child…

That part of herself, a part that had never given in nor had broken over four years of methodical survival gripped the chopsticks in her hand and considered their usage in a way that had also been a part of her training. Her nominal owner had many rolls of fat protecting his vital areas, but the fat around his neck was thin protection for the carotid artery, and the pieces of bamboo in her hands could--if properly applied--do considerable damage before the man was at all the wiser.

Her thoughts were disturbed by the approach of one of this man's underlings, who leaned over to whisper in the ear of his boss, who nodded with a grunt then wheezed, "Show them in at once. It seems Lao has been as timely as I dared hope, my dear. Prepare yourself for a tender reunion."

Akiko turned her head to see three women enter the chamber, two of them near-naked and clad in the gold chains of Pleasure Slaves as they followed the lead of the tallest of these women, who wore a kind of dominatrix attire with an odd tri-cornered hat set atop pale blue-green hair that hung about her waistline.

Akiko found her breath catch in her throat as she took in these newcomers with sudden interest. The girl with the short brown hair was a complete stranger, but the other one with the long red pigtail was her long lost Keiko beyond question. She must have made some manner of noise for the eyes of the two slaves turned to her, as did the blue haired lady. The lady's pink eyes narrowed before she turned and smiled at Chu Wan Phat, then in faintly accented Mandarin she said, <"Nihao, Phat. As I promised, I am here with the goods. This is, I take it, the lady you promised me in return for these pets?">

<"Indeed she is,"> Phat replied, his eyes on the two prizes in question as he introduced Akiko, <"And a finer slave of quality you could hardly dare to ask for. One of our local Tai Pans took a personal interest in her training and she has proven quite adept to his needs. I acquired her through careful and studious negotiations once I learned of her identity and relationship to one of the pair you have brought now with you.">

<"Well trained, you say?"> Lao replied, looking Akiko up and down again, <"I should think so if she has endured four years in the company of a Tai Pan. May I see proof of the goods before we finalize the transaction?">

<"But of course,"> Phat replied, turning his head slightly as his eyes sought out Akiko, <"My dear, would you please display your wares to your new purchaser? She means to buy you from me, and I wish to demonstrate the quality of the merchandise in question.">

Akiko had inwardly dreaded this moment, but her body obeyed the command before the thought was even half-formed as she stood up and moved slowly away from the table, then undid the sash around her waist and slipped out of her kimono, allowing it to fall about her ankles as she faced towards the blue haired lady, aware of the looks she was receiving from her child and the brown haired girl beside her.

<"Magnificent,"> Lao smiled as she stepped forward, drawing the two other girls behind her as she slowly approached the naked Akiko with a speculative look that somehow made Akiko's breath grow short and a slight shiver pass through her body, <"She is certainly excellent merchandise. I must say you do make a tempting offer in this package, my dear Phat. And so responsive to command, a sure sign of excellent conditioning.">

Phat made a motion with one hand and one of his goons stepped forward, strategically placing himself close to Akiko in such a way that Lao was forced to acknowledge his presence. The man then extended his hand and after a moment of pause Lao smiled and handed him the end of the two leashes. The man then stepped back, drawing the two girls with him and allowing Lao to resume a closer inspection.

In spite of everything that felt wrong about the situation Akiko could not stop trembling inside as the blue haired woman slowly circled her, pink eyes giving away a keen interest that made Akiko respond inwardly with the sense of long practice. Her new owner was certainly quite beautiful in an exotic way that she found most appealing, but still a part of her mind was drawn to the plight of her Keiko, who was staring at her with a round-eyed expression.

<"She will do indeed,"> Lao pivoted around, giving Phat a patented smile that betrayed none of her actual feelings in the matter, <"And I am most satisfied that there is not a mark upon her. I must confess I did have my fears that you would neglect to give her to me in a pristine condition.">

Now it was Phat's turn to smile, and his expression conveyed no warmth in spite of its evident humor, <"I know what appeals to your tastes, dear lady. I had a very good sense of it when I relieved you of your other property, this charming Catfighter who earned her keep in my gaming hall. I was most disappointed when she and this other charming Catfighter took their leave of me under such unfavorable conditions.">

<"I had heard something about that,"> Lao admitted, <"You had these two face off in your arena. As always you bet heavily on dear Keiko and yet you were quite upset when Tendo Nabiki was the victor. You sought to punish them and deprive Nabiki-san of her winnings, only they upset your plans somewhat and left you with egg-foo-yong on your face. You put a price on both of their heads after that, only I was given to understand that you later had a change of heart and retired to a monastic life. What made you suddenly change your opinion?">

<"The chance for revenge,"> Phat replied, snapping his fingers, <"Against you and these two hellions, now that you have obligingly delivered yourselves into my keeping.">

As he said this, his men produced an impressive array of weapons, which same they directed towards Lao, who did not have to feign her surprise as she looked around at the pistols and semi-automatic weapons pointing in her direction.

<"What is the meaning of this?"> Lao asked as she glared in his direction, <"I thought we had a business arrangement, Phat. Is this how you treat all of your partners?">

<"Partners?"> Phat uttered the word with contempt, <"I see no need for further dealings with you, Madam, especially since the Chinese government is paying such a handsome fee to rid this part of the world of the notorious Queen of the Pirates who has troubled these waters for close to a decade. There is a new order in this part of the world, in case you have not yet gotten with the program. Your time is past, your dealings are an embarrassment that must be eradicated so that honest merchants like me can go about the business as usual without radical elements such as you to complicate the picture.">

<"Nice speech,"> Lao smiled, <"Who wrote it for you?">

<"We'll see who has the last laugh this time, Madam,"> Phat nodded to his men, then forced himself out of his chair with great effort, using his walking cane to give his stubby legs an extra degree of balance, <"It so happens I have arranged for some live entertainment, which you have thoughtful provided. This way, Madam, I have something else I should like to show you.">

Lao laid one hand on Akiko's shoulder and said, <"You will at least allow the lady to go free, will you not? That was a key term of our agreement.">

The gunmen tensed their trigger fingers as Phat just swept her with an amused stare, <"You are in no position to dictate terms, Lady, but keep her with you if it amuses you. More incentive for the games that I have planned, if you will follow me this way.">

Lao swept a covert stare at Keiko and Nabiki, nodding by a fraction as she knelt down and replaced Akiko's kimono about her body, handing her the sash and tying it while Phat looked on impatiently, barely tolerating the insolence of this gesture. When Akiko was "decent" once more Phat angrily moved forward, waddling in such a way that the analogy to a Walrus was impossible not to make. Lao strode after the man, urging Akiko to remain close by her side while the man holding the leashes for Keiko and Nabiki followed at a more discrete distance, little aware of the angry glowers in the eyes of two very unhappy teenagers…

"Damn!" Guile looked up from his microphone and growled, "How did I let that woman talk me into this? All right, people, we do this the hard way, the way we should have done it in the first place…"

"Not to disagree with you, Colonel honey," Cammy said from close at his side, "But couldn't we hold off a bit to see what kind of diabolical fate he has planned for Lao before we go storming in there?"

Chun-Li gave Cammy a sour look but reluctantly conceded, "As much as I'm tempted to agree with you, we can't take any chances with the safety of the others. Let's do this like we planned and kick some Tong butt."

"And after that we can double-team Lao?" Cammy said hopefully, "I'm in for it, mates."

"All Units wait for my signal," Guile sighed, "Ken, you take the lead assault. Get charged up and let loose when I say go, over."

"Roger that," Ken replied as he nodded to his two companions, then moved from the concealment of the bushes to assume a fighting crouch, opening his mind to the power of Hadou as he visualized the energy flowing in through the Chakra centers of his body.

Guile turned to the blue haired woman beside him and nodded, "Tell your people to move out. We're going in hard and I want this by the numbers."

<"We understand,"> Blossom nodded, turning to Lotus and making a hand gesture that her friend could have no trouble interpreting as fifteen trained Marines fanned out to begin their assault up the rear wall pass leading to the island stronghold.

<"Here we are,"> Phat paused, indicating a five-meter wide circular platform that was suspended from a crane over an Olympic-sized fish tank in which could be seen dark objects swimming about, <"Kindly step out onto the arena and we may move this along to the next phase of the program.">

<"You must be joking,"> Lao snorted, <"What makes you think I would agree to do that? You obviously don't have my best interests at stake, so if you're going to kill me I really don't see that it would matter if I were in your cage or not.">

<"But I think it does matter a great deal,"> Phat smiled, <"There are rumors concerning you, Madam, that say you have a curse and because of it you avoid direct contact with water. I am willing to bet your curse makes you especially vulnerable to the sort of game I have planned here for you. As you can see this tank is full of an even more viscous array of predators than you are used to dealing with…">

<"Yes, I can see,"> Lao mused coolly as she stared into the waters, <"Makos, Lemon Sharks and the occasional Great White…hardly a very original ploy. I suppose you stole this one from Blowfeld.">

<"Another one of my role models,"> Phat smiled, <"Perhaps not original but very effective. Now, step onto the platform or your lady friend goes first. I believe she will make a tasty appetizer for the main course, and after her I will dispatch your two pets as the entrée. A pity should it come to that, however, I was so looking forward to renewing our acquaintance, especially with you, my dear Miss Tendo," he smiled benevolently at Nabiki, "I have very much been looking forward to this moment.">

<"You're just loving it, aren't you?"> Lao said coolly, <"Playing the villain like some movie melodrama.">

<"And why not?"> Phat smiled, <"I know you well enough, Madam. In spite of your cultivated reputation for ruthlessness, you fancy yourself the swashbuckling hero. I admit that part of the charm of this whole affair will be in seeing you meet an end that is heroically noble. Even you must admit that it is a fine end to a legendary career, going up against great odds in a battle against a larger and deadlier predator than yourself.">

<"Hmph,"> Lao said before she turned and stepped out onto the platform, which swayed a little under her weight. She balanced there as she considered the sharks in the water then turned back to Phat and said, <"Now what? You lower me in and watch your fish fight over my carcass?">

<"That would be too easy,"> Phat snapped his fingers again and a figure appeared from around the side of the building, a very tall, bald figure with broad shoulders and a surly expression, <"I would like you to meet my nephew, a rising star on the Mu Tai circuit, No Lo Phat, your opponent of the hour.">

<"Charmed,"> Lao said as she looked the big bruiser up and down, reckoning him to be at least two hundred fifty pounds of solid muscle, which put him squarely in Colonel Guile's weight class, <"I take it he isn't afraid of sharks?">

<"Why should he be?"> Phat asked, <"He's their personal trainer. Nephew, say hello to the lady.">

The burly man smiled, showing off teeth that were unusually pointed, then slammed his fists together, revealing them to be wrapped in heavy tape soaked in tar and rolled in broken glass. His feet were similarly treated, giving the effect that he was studded with diamonds.

<"I take it this is your idea of a fair fight?"> Lao asked as she moved around to the opposite edge as the big man stepped out onto the platform, causing it to sway more than she had.

<"My nephew asked for the privilege of taking you on for himself,"> Phat replied, <"You are a legendary fighter in your own right, so defeating you will help to build his career. I trust you appreciate the value of a good reputation.">

<"Of course,"> Lao replied as she assumed a fighting crouch, <"I usually have my own to think about, so I hope you don't expect me to make this terribly easy.">

<"I would not think of it,"> Phat smiled, when a loud noise rocked the air, causing him to react in dismay with a started, <"Sacred Ancestors…what was that?">

<"That,"> Lao smiled as she nodded towards Keiko and Nabiki, <"Is a little insurance of my own I've kept in reserve just for the occasion. I hope you don't mind party crashers.">

As she said this other sounds broke the tranquility of the early morning, even as Keiko and Nabiki threw off their chains and tackled the gunmen nearest to them, taking them out with brutal efficiency even before Phat had time to register the obvious fact that he had been deceived in a rather significant fashion…

Being a hired thug in the employ of a major Crime Lord is not exactly a thankless job, being one where a fellow of reasonably average intelligence and a penchant for violence can earn a respectable living with lots of attractive perks and only a moderate risk factor that came with doing violent work for violent people.

Of course there is that risk factor to worry about when your employer is suddenly targeted for a major comedown by highly skilled individuals with above-average resources. A case in point were the three guards who stood on duty by the front entryway to Phat's Island estate, who barely had time to register the fact that there was some strange glow off in the bushes before their whole world exploded all around them to the shattering cry of a fearsome avenger:

"SHO RYU KEN!!!"

The ki blast was so devastating that those not caught within its path were scattered like wheat chaff, and it was several moments before any nearby guards were able to orient on their defense, by which time a pair of towering figures plowed in to finish the task at closer range and with more personal impact.

<"Eat knuckles, sucka!"> Bison cheerfully hailed as he dispatched two men with as many punches while Honda made like the proverbial truck and charged his opponents, knocking them aside like a runaway rhino. The flat of his hands was enough to pick men up and plant them through the other side of a wall as the pair crashed through what remained of the front entrance and barreled on through like a two-man demolition squad creating maximum carnage in their wake. So fast did they move that not a single gunman had time to draw a bead before they were pounded into a coma.

<"Those two sure know how to have a good time,"> Ken mused aloud as he recovered from unleashing his Ki-blast. He spoke into his mike and said, <"This section's secured, Guile. How are things in your corner?">

<"Let you know in another minute,"> Guile hissed back as he nodded to his companions, then together they swung through the French windows through which they spied more of the gunmen, catching these fellows off guard as the three of them made very short work of yet more of the Chinese Tong soldiers. Cammy corkscrewed her body as Chun-Li made lightning kicks and punches while Guile unleashed his own unique Ki assault, between themselves accounting for a half a dozen fighters.

Another group of gunmen paused in the act of rushing to check out the commotion from the front and tried instead to direct their weapons towards this new assault, only to find themselves the subject of another ambush as a wall exploded from close nearby and Ryoga appeared to dole out his own brand of one-man vengeance. The lost boy had somehow found a place where he could be of assistance and vented days of pent of rage and frustration on the luckless fellows who just happened to be in his way, all the time shouting, "Akane, where are you?!"

Akane was, of course, keeping close company with her good friend Kodachi, who was herself treating the men who came at them to a flashing display of her ribbon technique, disarming and disabling them with ruthless efficiency while a team of lady Pirates more prudently used crossbows and other weapons to take out more distant targets and potential snipers. Meanwhile, other gunmen were fleeing in terror at the maniac pair flashing twin axes and an oversized spatula, making short work of any resistance from their corner.

Ranma was first to reach the side of Nabiki and Keiko, having spared no energy to carve a trail through any resistance he encountered. He had been on the move from the moment he had overheard the reference to a shark tank, which left open the potential of Lao reverting to a state that was likely to have an adverse affect on his iinazuke. He saw two men with guns taking aim at the unarmed women and did not hesitate to pound the thugs flat as he vaulted over them and landed in the space between Nabiki and an astonished Gang Lord.

<"Who are you?"> Phat instantly demanded, not realizing that the angry looking boy before him did not understand Chinese, not that it ultimately mattered as Ranma had a reasonable grasp of the meaning of the question.

"Trouble," Ranma replied as his hands became a blur, and suddenly Phat felt himself struck by more than a hundred blows, which knocked the huge man backwards and made him lose his grip on the remote-control device that he had been clutching in one hand.

Not, however, before the Tong lord had reflexively depressed a button that caused the crane holding the platform to begin unrolling into the water. Lao and her opponent were too busy trading blows to notice at first, but it did not take No Lo Phat very long to become aware that the water was beginning to pass over his ankles.

<"What's the matter, big boy?"> Lao smiled, <"Afraid of getting wet?"> and No Lo Phat could not quite believe what he was seeing because it actually seemed as though she were walking on the surface of the water. He saw her aim a kick his way and tried to raise his own leg to block, only to find the resistance of the water slowed him somewhat so that he could not quite move it in time. She, however, moved as though she were greased lighting and her kick, when it connected, hurt a LOT worse than he would have imagined. He went staggering back into the pool just as one of his "pets" sensed the movement and before he had time to scream he had a truly awful encounter with a dentist's worst nightmare.

His uncle was only mildly stunned as he landed, his fat cushioning his body against the worst of Ranma's attack, so he was able to catch the scream and turned in horror to see his nephew in the jaws of a Great White, while Madam Lao--to his horrified amazement--seemed to be uplifted by a jet of foam as she rode the wave to the side of the pool and alighted to the side dry as a bone, not even flecked by the roiling moisture.

<"Your nephew needs more practice,"> Lao informed the gaping Tong Lord, turning to the tank as though considering the point, <"Should I leave him like that, do you think? Those sharks do look hungry… but then again, that is what you would do, isn't it?">

She gestured with both hands, and suddenly the water rose up again in a second column that roiled as though at her command. A moment later, No Lo Phat was deposited on the pavement looking like something that had been chewed up and spat out with the marks of the shark's teeth clearly evident on his torso.

<"He needs medical attention,"> Lao noted as she folded her arms in satisfaction, then took notice of the puzzled looks she was receiving from the others and said, "Don't act so surprised. I didn't do it for him, I just didn't want these poor fish to suffer acute indigestion."

That was when Blossom and Lotus burst into the clearing, brandishing their weapons: a Chinese spear and a three-sectioned staff, frozen in defensive poses as they took in the scene slowly, then relaxed as they found that the battle was over.

<"My lady?"> Blossom gasped, seeing the bleeding Mu Tai boxer virtually at her feet and saying, <"What happened to him?">

<"Never mind that,"> Lao folded her arms over her chest and said, <"Lotus, bind his wounds. Blossom, report on our status.">

<"We have secured the compound, my lady,"> Blossom replied as Lotus put away her tri-staff and knelt down to try and staunch the bleeding of the boxer, <"All resistance has been met and dealt with, and we have suffered no casualties. They were not very good fighters, it seems, and we had them badly outnumbered.">

<"Not really,"> Guile said as he appeared with the rest of his team falling in behind him, <"We just had the element of surprise on our side. Your people are good, Lao, but against automatic weapons…">

<"Let's just be content that we are the victors, Colonel," Lao regarded Phat with a level expression, <"Now, the only question is what are we to do with him? It's not like we can turn him into the local authorities since he has money and influence enough to buy his freedom.">

<"Leave that up to me,"> Cologne said as she hopped into view on her staff, coming to stand only a short distance from the now quite-pale Tong Lord as she said levelly, "We two have unfinished business to discuss over a little matter I spoke with you about the last time we met, is that not right, my dear fellow.">

<"So it was you who got him to call off the bounty on me and Keiko,"> Nabiki said as she came up to stand beside Ranma, <"The rumors I heard said that you were the Baba Yaga.">

<"Baba Yaga,"> Cologne snorted, <"That amateur? So much for the accuracy of rumor…">

<"You?"> Phat was trembling now, staring at Cologne as though the rest of the world had ceased to have meaning. He forced himself to roll with great effort into a kneeling posture, but a single thrust from Cologne's staff paralyzed him from the neck down. He sat there trembling with large open eyes, mouth working like a fish as he saw the level gaze of the Amazon elder.

<"I told you that Tendo Nabiki and Arigami Keiko were off limits to you,"> Cologne said coldly, <"It seems your pride got the better of your judgement, as the greed that made you what you are today prompted you to forget my warning of what would happen should you disobey me. We Amazons know many forms of pain that can be inflicted with a single touch. Should I leave you like this for the remainder of your worthless life? Should I give you to these pets you are so fond of? Should I take you with us to be tried in an international court of law where your past misdeeds will come back to haunt you…or perhaps use what influence I have with the Chinese authorities in Beijing to have them revoke your privileges here so that your own enemies will be able to strike without the protection you now enjoy?">

Cologne turned a glance to one side and said, <"What would you recommend I do, Daughter-in-law? He is your enemy, and it was against you that he first transgressed?">

Nabiki smiled at that, <"You list some interesting choices, Elder, but I believe Colonel Guile here will be happy to see justice rendered in the international courts. Since we're already on an island we only need to borrow one of his boats to take him out into international waters…">

"What do you think, father?" Keiko asked as she turned to look at Guile, reverting back to Japanese, "Do we let the courts decide his fate or turn him over to the authorities here?"

"Hard to say," Guile stroked his chin, turning to look once again at Akiko, "Why don't we ask the lady for her opinion? I'd say she has an even better stake than any of us."

During all this time Akiko had been silent, watching what transpired around her with the hypnotized fascination of someone witnessing a live stage performance being conducted by a troop of trained performers. It all had such an unreal quality about it that she had only been able to stare from one group of strangers to the other. Only Keiko had seemed incredibly real to her, and when her daughter had thrown off her chains it was like watching a part of herself come back to life after a long, silent dormancy. Now the man who once had been so much more than a friend to her was asking her opinion and she had to take stock of her actual feelings on the matter. It was not an easy thing to do, not after years of training herself to hide all feelings in a deep, dark corner of her heart where others could not see them.

"I…" Akiko found the act of answering a question about the state of her feelings more difficult than she would have imagined. Once it had been so easy to say what she thought and felt aloud…surely the habit would come back to her now that the threat of reprisal had at last been lifted?

Phat made a soft noise, like a kind of grunt, then to everyone's surprise he began to move, his hand slipping into his coat as Cologne turned a fraction too slow, having only just caught the movement. Under normal conditions she would have struck like a cobra, but the very fact that the ganglord could move at all surprised her so greatly that it took a bit longer than usual to accept what she was seeing, and even longer to attempt a counter.

Fortunately Nabiki did catch the motion and cried, "Look out!"

Before anyone else had time to move she vaulted from Ranma's side and knocked the small pistol out of the gang lord's hand before he could finish aiming or pulling the trigger. Keiko was just a fraction of a second behind, having thrown herself in front of her mother as Nabiki's second kick spun the huge man around so that Phat rotated like a giant top spinning around in a half circle before collapsing at the feet of Keiko and her mother.

"Incredible," Cologne remarked, "He should not be able to move at all, let alone draw a weapon."

"Perhaps your age is showing, Great Grandmother," Lao remarked, "Though more likely I think the layers of fat surrounding his body must have deflected your nerve-thrust. The effect was evidently only temporary."

Keiko looked down at Phat and did not smile as she said, <"I made a promise that if I ever met you again I'd rearrange your insides, Mister. I'm tempted to do that now, but first I want to know why you were trying to shoot my mother.">

<"A very good question,"> Lao agreed as she, too, gave Phat a most unfriendly look, <"Even for you such a move is petty.">

<"I wonder,"> Nabiki frowned, <"You said you got her from a Tai Pan? What would one of the financial Overlords who run the markets of Hong Kong be doing with my friend's mother as his personal slave?">

Phat's fear appeared to melt at this point as the man took on a look of cunning, realizing that he was not in peril of immediate death, <"I don't need to answer to you, Catfighter, but if you must know this one had special training, which makes her very valuable to him. He left very specific instructions on what to do should I no longer have need of her services. I suggest you take it up with him if you wish to know of his reasons.">

<"No,"> said Guile as he moved forward and seized hold of the crime lord's silk robe, hauling the huge man up as though he were much lighter than could be imagined so that Phat dangled almost at eye level, <"You're going to tell me, or I'm going to do something I may not regret later on, not that you'll be in any condition to worry about it.">

There was no doubting his seriousness as the expression on Guile's face made plain the pent up storm of angry emotions that he had been holding down for several days, now ready to explode. Phat reckoned his chances, saw the looks on the faces of the other people and saw that not a single one of them was prepared to lift a finger to prevent the big man from having his vengeance. Everyone was waiting to see what he would do, and that was when Phat finally made a decision. His life might not be worth much at the moment, but cooperation held out the possibility of extended life, so he opened his mouth to speak…and suddenly felt his own blood in his mouth.

To say that Phat was surprised would have been a huge understatement. Guile was no less stunned than anyone else present was when the words his prisoner had been about to utter came out in a cough, followed by a gurgle. It was only a few seconds later when Phat felt the sharp pain in his back and began to reason that this might have something to do with his current condition, but by this time he was feeling incredibly heavy, and he began to sink to the ground like a proverbial sack of potatoes as Guile belatedly released him.

Everyone turned with stunned expressions to see Akiko step back from the body where she had just rammed one of the chopsticks that she had been hiding up her sleeve into the dying man's back. Akiko's expression was strangely focused as a light that had not been there before shown in her expression as she looked coldly down at her nominal "owner."

<"That was for my daughter,"> Akiko said coldly before the focus slid from her eyes and she suddenly looked very surprised at her hands as if unable to comprehend her own actions.

<"Oh lordy,"> Bison murmured to Honda in English, <"Something tells me there's more to the little lady than we read in the program.">

<"No fooling,"> the Sumo wrestler replied, wearing just as surprised an expression.

Cologne came over to inspect the body, then looked up at Akiko and said, "An expert thrust, very precise and at just the right angle. A pity, he did not suffer."

"Mother?" Keiko whispered as she came to stand before the dark haired woman who had given her life, and now took away the life of a man while no one had even seen it coming.

Akiko looked from her hands to Keiko, looked at Guile, then at her hands again, then her eyes rolled up and she finally fainted…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Fraternal Brotherhood of Ranmaniacs: Shadowmane@msn.com