Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ On the Road Again... ( Chapter 90 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Again!" snapped Assistant Instructor Tendo Natsume as she conducted the afternoon class in the regimen of advanced katas, "Step into your punches, don't hold back on your power! Stay focused and balanced and do not overcommit. Now, from the top, BEGIN!"

The class of fifteen advanced students all moved forward as one body, punching as their right feet slapped the floor together, making a sound that was a combination "stomp" with the punctuated slap of their martial arts gis as their fists thrust out at shoulder level. All fists were perfectly formed in the classic "holding a roll of quarters" style that had the first two knuckles aimed at the imaginary impact points directly before them, no one daring to hold their hands or arms improperly, nor to have their extended legs incorrectly bent, nor their rear legs bending as they were held rigid in a standard triangular pattern. As one, the class turned, rotating on their extended legs as they moved their bodies around in a 270 degree turn with their rear fists slashing down in a blocking motion, then they moved forward again and punched as one at yet another series of imaginary targets, their martial arts gis snapping in the air with almost perfect synchronization.

Tendo Kurume sat on the sidelines with the less advanced students watching her older sister conducting the demonstration of basic forms with her students performing like a precision drill team. She unconsciously shifted the focus of her attention away from Natsume and their students to mark how the junior class was observing the show being put on by their more advanced counterparts. It was for their benefit (as much as for their guests) that this display was being conducted, and considering how hard and awkward some members of the less advanced class could be with their katas, she rather hoped the example being set today would impress on them the benefits of more intensive study.

Of course, a stray thought brought her attention around to the handsome young man sitting beside their adopted father, Tendo Soun, which caused Kurume to scowl all the more intensely, her natural distrust and dislike of her sister's boyfriend making it difficult for her to enjoy the normal routine of their classes. Kuno Tatewaki was observing both the class and Natsume with an equal measure of approval, both for the near-perfection of their students and for the woman who was their assistant sensei. It was clear that he was deeply impressed with how well their senior class was progressing, even if Kurume suspected that his regard of her older sister was not of an entirely professional nature.

She forced herself to look away, shifting her attention to the three men wearing formal gis who were sitting in attendance as dispassionate observers. They were from a professional ratings board who could give their official stamp of approval to the Tendo dojo so that these students might be recognized in official competitions, such as in the tournament being held in the summer. Tatewaki had brought them here so that they could sanction the members of the Tendo Ryu in the qualifying matches that were being held a few weeks hence, and if their students put on a good enough show, then some could gain recognition for their skills and maybe even win some trophies (and perhaps even some prize money) for the dojo. The honor and prestige of their school was on trial here, and Kurume knew that their adopted father was relying on them to bring honor to the dojo.

By rights, of course, the one putting on this display should have been their cousin (now step-sister) Nabiki, but the official heir to their Ryu was away on a family outing-slash-training mission. Nabiki had told Natsume and Kurume that they could have the honor of representing their school, that she trusted them and knew that they could be relied upon, fine words of praise that had left Natsume glowing in her pride for days, though Kurume privately felt as though they had been fobbed off onto an assignment in which Nabiki herself wanted little involvement. Their sister had rather emphatically made clear that she did not want to concern herself with the minutiae of details involved with a directly hands-on running of the dojo, having other concerns that divided her attention (not least of which was a newly born baby), and so she was willing to delegate those assignments onto someone who relished the chance to prove herself as a trainer. Natsume was an all-too-willing junior partner in this endeavor, Kurume only a little less so, the dojo giving them both a place of stability in their home life in which to train and earn a comfortably honest living.

In point of fact, Kurume thought it was-overall-a very good arrangement, far preferable to their years as wandering mendicants, getting odd jobs where they could and never being able to settle in one place for longer than a fortnight. They ate regular meals, bathed often and wore clean clothing for a change, and they got to cook in the kitchen (which-next to the dojo-was Kurume's favorite part of the house, the room she shared with Akane notwithstanding). They had a "father" whom they now loved and adored as though he truly were their father (and not just their uncle) and a family to take care of…so what if the Tendo house itself sometimes felt a little crowded?

Besides, Kurume thought sourly, from the way her sister spent more and more time around the Kuno estate, it was more than likely that she would be moving there permanently before too much longer…

She forced her attention back to the class itself, which was now performing their third consecutive kata with the same speed and coordination that they had demonstrated during their first. Having moved from simple maneuvers to more complex ones would put their students through more and more increasingly regimented paces, which was intended to impress on the Masters how well conditioned they were in the regulation of their collective internal power. At the end of the third kata, Natsume called a halt to this phase of their demonstration and allowed these students to stand at ease and regain their breaths, thus showing off the other aspect of their conditioning in the resilient way these students stood about as though prepared at any minute to leap back into formal attention.

Kurumi caught the gleam of pride in the eyes of their father as he nodded almost imperceptibly, clearly pleased at the way Natsume was conducting herself as an assistant instructor. The Martial Arts Masters seemed no less approving in the way they exchanged looks and nodded their own heads with approval. Tatewaki did not even bother to hide the way he glowed with approval, his eyes shining with unalloyed adoration directed towards the woman who had come to mean to much to him in the brief time that they had been together.

Kurume did not entirely approve of the handsome rich boy's infatuation with her sister. This Kuno was, after all, a recovering drug addict, a rich snob and the son of the crazed principal of their local High School. Though presently "clean and sober," (due in no small part to an intensive detoxification program) there was no absolute guarantee that he would not relapse, even if his sister stayed true to her pledge to never again feed him any of those Black Rose extracts that had been causing him to act so crazy (and looking at the long term effects of what they had effected on the elder Kuno was far from encouraging in that regard). The fact that Natsume seemed no less fascinated with him in no way reassured Kurume that this "change for the better" was a permanent condition.

Of course thoughts of this "reformed bad-boy" caused her to have another stray thought, one far less likely relegated to an easily defined status. There was that OTHER "bad boy" who kept coming around to annoy her other sisters, who had managed to draw her interest of late, sometimes even causing her to be distracted away from paying much attention to the questionable affairs of her sister. She was not even sure what it was about this other boy that had drawn her attention, Kurume only knew that "messing" with this other party had become her new hobby, almost like an obsession.

She brought her mind back around to the demonstration as Natsume began them up again, this time jumping to the more advanced katas that were distinctive to the Anything Goes school. Fifteen well-coordinated bodies flowed from one motion to the other, three rows of five students (both male and female) leaping off the floor as one to assume the "Flying Eagle" aerial stance was peculiar to the Saotome branch of their school, and as fifteen bodies of varying sizes, mass and distribution touched down there was a most impressive "THUMP"-ing noise that impressed the visiting instructors no less than the attack itself, which they collectively recognized to be a devastating offensive.

Among those advanced students was a young girl named Tenou Ryonami, a close friend and understudy to Nabiki, who was doing her level best not to perspire as she matched her movements to those of her fellow classmates. Privately, Ryonami thought Natsume was once again playing the role of the "slave driver" to the hilt, but then again, the adopted sister to her much-beloved Nabiki had always possessed a streak of the martinet in her instructions. Demanding a high level of performance from those whom she instructed in the martial arts left Natsume with little tolerance or patience with any student whom she regarded as a "slacker." The girl was unquestionably good, almost (but not quite) the equal to Nabiki, but Natsume still had a long way to come before Ryonami would give her high marks as a fair and equitable trainer.

Tatewaki felt like composing poetry as he watched the woman he adored conduct herself with the regal bearing of one born to noble ancestry, rather than the scion of mere "peasants." At one time he would have labeled her his "Mahogany-tressed Siren" or "Goddess of Bountiful Desires," apt words to describe his feelings towards a girl who had shown him great kindness in his hour of need, and who actually seemed to favor him with approval far more infinite than that ever extended towards him by her adopted younger sister, Akane.

Natsume was magnificence personified, a woman of infinite poise and ladylike bearing, composed and dignified as the heir to a long and illustrious line of Samurai ancestors, and surely a credit to any clan that would claim her. Her beauty was like a gaping wound in his chest that ached for remediation, and he adored every square centimeter of her magnificently sculpted body, wishing to make a more "thorough and detailed" observation should he ever be graced with the extraordinary good fortune of claiming her for his "woman."

And the fact that she was the first young girl his own age that he knew who did not turn off to him or run away at the first sign of his affection certainly did not hurt either as Natsume was the one woman he calmly knew would never abuse nor reject him. There was a trust that had built up between them, one where they respected each other as though they were true equals, and social status be damned as Kuno felt more as if he were the one unworthy of her attention.

Soun casually noted the way the young man at his side was gazing at Natsume in a manner that spoke volumes and brought a faint smile to Soun's lips. Young Kuno had done much in recent memory to redeem himself in Soun's eyes for past missteps and rude behavior. Tatewaki was trying to make a good go at sobriety and was turning into the sort of young man that any proud father might consider worthy of one of his daughters (the fact that Natsume was actually the daughter of Mariko, Soun's long-lost younger sister, was only a "trifling" detail as Natsume had come to mean as much to Soun as any one of his true beloved daughters). Given time, if the relationship continued to progress, it might even be possible that Tatewaki would work up the courage to ask Soun for the formal hand of Natsume, at which point Soun would be happy to give his blessings and to welcome the young Lord Kuno into his family as a son, thus further insuring the success of the Tendo legacy.

Of more immediate concern, however, Soun was equally pleased to note that the three instructors sitting on his other side appeared to have made a favorable decision in regard to their dojo and the effectiveness in their training of their students. He knew these men to be reputable Masters of distinction in their respective schools of Kempo, Shotokan Karate and Aikido, schools all equally represented in the Anything Goes Ryu. It was good to have recognition of their humble dojo after so many years when their school had suffered under the disreputable reputation of being a "dishonorable" system, a reputation in no small part being owed to…the Master!

"Wonderful performance, Tendo-san," said Itabashi Himura in a low murmur at his side, "And such a lovely instructor you have in your daughter. You are indeed a lucky man."

"Thank you," Soun swelled up with pride, as though Natsume truly was his daughter.

"And your younger girl is quite the quick and agile sort indeed," mused Rumigo Takare, "I am a bit confused, though, why the other student instructors of your school are not here to present their own demonstration."

"Again I apologize for that," Soun replied, "When Kuno-san brought up the subject of your visit, it caused something of a conflict with other plans that had already been in motion. It was an understandable confusion, and I know it was not intentional on the part of my primary heir, Nabiki. Perhaps another time she and our other senior students will be on hand to give a demonstration of the more advanced arts of the Anything Goes Ryu."

"If you wish to see a sample of what this school is capable of yielding in its students," Tatewaki spoke up, "You have only to watch Natsume-san and her sister in motion. They are worthy heirs of the Anything Goes Ryu, and Tendo-san has good reason to be proud of their contributions to these classes."

"We can well believe this, Kuno-san," said the bearded and stately Natsura Ikari, "But still, it would be nice to see a demonstration given by your schools premier students. We would gladly witness any show you care to put on as we expect good things from your school in the upcoming tournaments."

"Then you approve of Tendo-san's Ryu being recognized and permitted into the competitions?" Tatewaki asked.

"At present we see no reason that we would not wish to see this school represented in the summer competitions," Takare replied, "Especially in light of the great strides you've made in overcoming this dojo's somewhat notorious reputation, created in no small part because of…"

"HOOOWWWZZZAAAA!!!" a voice called out as a chipper little man came bounding into the dojo, a sack of unmentionables slung over his diminutive shoulder, "I'm back, kiddies! Did you miss me?"

There were several shrieks from the female student, Ryonami among them, though in retrospect she admitted to herself that things had been going too well all day long, which meant that they were overdue for something bad like this to happen.

Soun could not withhold a whimper. And they had almost gotten away with it, too! Telling the Master that the girl's soccer team would be facing an out-of-town competition while Nabiki was off on a training mission had seemed like such a simple and effective plan of getting him out of the way for the entire afternoon…

"Master Happosai?" Natsura reacted with such alarm that his eyebrows seemed to be standing on edge.

"The founder of the school is still alive?" Itabashi all but squeaked the words.

"No one told us that he was still hanging around in your dojo!" Takare said with equal alarm, "This is most unacceptable! It changes the whole equation!"

"Eh?" Happosai turned to see the trio of incongruous male instructors and said, "You guys? What are you doing here? I'd have thought you fossils would have retired a long time ago!"

"Look who's talking," Tatewaki murmured under his breath, his glare sufficient to speak volumes of his displeasure.

"I can't believe any of you would even have the nerve to show your faces in this dojo…" Happosai started to say, when all at once a ribbon wrapped around him as Kurume leaped into the act, followed in short order by Natsume, wielding her trademark rug-beater as she moved to corner the old man in the center of the dojo.

"Grandfather Happosai-stop!" Kurume pleaded.

"You are disrupting a class session, and I find that…intolerable," Natsume scolded as she brandished her chosen weapon.

"Let me go!" Happosai demanded, "I didn't do anything! This is some way to treat your own Master!"

"You were our Master when we were young and innocent children," Natsume replied, "But we are far from innocent now that we can see you for the Master of perversion that you are, Grandfather."

"Please understand," Kurume pleaded, "We are trying to make something of this school, and that means we have to uphold certain standards that you put in jeopardy, Grandfather."

"And that means insisting that dojo protocols are observed, even for our father's alleged Grand Master," Natsume said as she drew back in an exaggerated wind-up that resulted in her making a grand slam that created a new hole in the roof as Happosai went sailing into the skyline.

There was a slight pause before anyone reacted, and then one of the three Masters began clapping his hands, followed by the other two, all three joining in with encouraging approval as even the students turned approving glances towards their normally demanding instructors, including Ryonami.

"Excellent," Takare applauded, "Excellent form and technique!"

"An outstanding performance," Itabashi agreed, "Stupendous delivery, I give it a 9.6 for swing and a perfect ten for execution!"

"About time someone did that to the old goat," Natsura enthused, "To think these old eyes have lasted long enough to see that hentai put in his place…and by a woman no less!"

Soun felt that he could have fainted from relief, certain that disaster had been about to befall him and his dojo. If not for the swift action and resourcefulness of his nieces (er, adopted daughters) it could have gone very badly, and with the reputation of the dojo at stake…

Tatewaki also released the tension that he had felt upon seeing the old man intrude on the Tendo performance. It was too much like reliving those times when his own father had rudely interrupted something personal, bringing shame and humiliation to the (formerly) honored name of Kuno. If the old man had managed to bring further dishonor to the TRULY honorable name of Tendo, he would have forced Tatewaki to take action (even if his skills were admittedly no where near sufficient to give the ancient pervert the thrashing he so desperately needed!).

Kurume herself was not so very thrilled about having to once again "punish" the old man for his unreasonable excesses. Unlike Natsume, she was at least sympathetic to her great-grandfather's peculiar obsessions, even if she did not herself understand quite why he had such an interest in women's lingerie. She knew the man could not really help himself, that deep down he was addicted to filling a need left within him by his lonely isolation from the very object of his obsession. Women shunned the diminutive old martial artist and denied him their affections, so he had fallen into the pattern of taking what would not be freely given. It was a sad way of life for such an otherwise indomitable fighter, and it really tugged on Kurume's heartstrings to know that the founder of their school was a "dirty old man" with a very bad reputation.

What made it truly sad was that she and Natsume owed so much to their "Grandfather Happy," an obligation that Natsume might prefer to ignore, but Kurume-in all good consciousness-could not. They owed their very martial arts skills (to say nothing of their lives) to a certain old man who took pity on a pair of orphans and raised them to a level beyond their wildest dreams and fantasies. If not for "Grandfather Happosai," they probably would not even exist, let alone have found a home life and a wonderful dojo to give their lives much-needed focus.

Not that it excused his behavior, or made Kurume want to drop her guard when she was around him…

That thought was interrupted in mid-formation as something else suddenly drew the focus of her attention. A slight movement, barely discerned out of the corner of one eye, caused her to turn her head in time to catch an incongruous shadow hanging from the edge of the roof just outside the sliding doors. She did not even need to ask who it might be, she knew instinctively who it was that could scamper around like an ape, and so with a barely murmured, "Excuse me, Oneechan," she turned and exited the dojo out the side-door, moving so fast that that she was barely a blur even in the eyes of the assembled Masters, who-like Natsume herself and their "father"-were left wondering at the cause of her sudden behavior.

One man did not wonder at Kurume's sudden actions, he knew instinctively the cause and softly cursed under his voice, realizing that he had hung about too long and that he needed to make haste if he was to avoid a confrontation. No sooner did he think this, however, but then he sensed the presence of a swift-moving Kurume just seconds before he heard the slight impact of her weight on the dojo roof tiles. He barely had time to turn around as he found her confronting him, and as always he was amazed that any human being could be either so fast or so agile.

Kurume was both, and thensome, a girl barely tall enough to reach his breastbone, but when she faced him there was something almost intimidating in her expression, neither hostile nor entirely friendly.

"Mousse-san," she said, "What are you doing here, spying on us?"

"I'm not spying on you," Mousse reacted defensively, "I'm just…just…"

"Just looking for Perfume, huh?" Kurume sniffed, "She's not here…she's off with her wife on a training mission with the others. It's just my Oneechan and me this time, but if you want to try us…"

"I'm not looking for any trouble, all right?" Mousse said, "I just…need to talk to Perfume. Is that so hard to understand?"

"As a matter of fact, yes," Kurume replied, "You know she doesn't want to see you, in fact she's told you plenty of times to leave her alone, but you never seem to listen. Why is that anyway? You honestly think she's going to change her mind if you keep asking or something?"

"But don't you see?" Mousse flared, "I'm the only one who can understand and look out for her interests. Kuonji roped her into this false marriage then got with child to further trap her! Perfume doesn't know what she's doing…"

"Oh come on!" Kurume snapped, "You're not that stupid, and even you must know how pathetic that sounds. Is wishful thinking and denial the only things you're good at?"

"I'll show you what else I'm good at!" Mousse declared, throwing both hands forward as he sent a hail of chains reflexively at the slender girl, only to stare in amazement as Kurume's hands blurred and she effortlessly tied his chains into a series of bow-ribbons.

"Care to try that one again?" she said cheerfully as she kicked the knotted chains off the roof, which then proceeded to drag Mousse with them over the edge and into the Tendo garden. He landed in a heap, hands held in a classic "thumb and pinky extended" position, arms and legs bent akimbo, a stupefied expression plain upon his features.

"Geez," Kurume remarked as she gazed down from the rooftop, "Talk about pathetic…"

"Indeed," her sister said from directly behind her, "And you dare to question my preferences in boyfriends."

"Ah-Oneechan," Kurume turned about to see her older sister standing there close at hand, a slightly smug expression on her normally aloof features, "What do you mean? I was just…"

"Just putting that boy in his place," Natsume noted in some amusement, "I have been watching for some time now, you know…ever since the hospital, when you were left in charge of a certain prisoner, and he somehow managed to elude you."

"Ah…well…we kinda left him hanging around, and in the excitement of the baby…" Kurume started to explain.

"Don't bother," Natsume waved the point away, "It's obvious to me, as your sister, that you have taken an interest in this poor fool, in which case you are risking more than I ever would with Tachi-chan, who took much less effort to bring around than I think you are bargaining on."

"Hey, it's not like that!" Kurume protested, "I just wanted to know if I could talk this guy into leaving Ukyo alone. Perfume's a pretty nice girl, after all, practically a relative, and this…this jerk…keeps coming around to bother her all the time. It's disgusting…"

"No argument there," Natsume agreed, "It most certainly is a disgusting affront to the honor and integrity of this school, but sister dearest, you'd more convincing in your denials if you were not blushing that interesting shade of crimson when you say that."

"Eep!" Kurume reacted, covering her cheeks with her hands as if to belatedly conceal such a reaction, "What are you talking about? I-I'm not…"

"Ah, my mistake," Natsume said, "Perhaps it's just the rosy bloom of the setting sun that is painting your cheeks such an interesting color. Maybe I am reading too much into the way things appear to stand between you and this Chinese Ape-boy, or perhaps you are not being as honest with yourself as you seem to think you are. But I think you underrate the strength of his obsession, or your own ability to be persuasive in the face of his blind infatuation."

"I tell you, it's not like…" Kurume started to say when she chanced to glance down, at which point she cried, "HEY! Where'd he go?"

"Looks like he recovered and made his escape while we were talking, Sister-dear," Natsume said with some amusement.

"What that…the nerve of that guy!" Kurume balled a fist, "If he thinks he can get away form me that easy, he has another think coming!"

With that declaration, the fleet-footed younger girl vaulted from the dojo roof and took off at blinding run, leaping over the wall and vanishing into the distance.

"Guess that settles the question of how interested she is in the fool," Natsume mused as she glanced off towards where Kurume had vanished, "On the other hand, it is nice to see her taking an interest in a boy close to her own age for a change. Ah…Nabiki, my sister, you don't know what fun you're missing being away on your training mission. Hurry back soon…it can be deadly quiet without you here to train against. You are the goal I set myself against when I seek to achieve greatness, and some day I will improve enough to impress you, my warrior sister. But…until then, other duties call," she smiled to herself as she went in search of a boy named Tatewaki…

"ACHOO!" Nabiki sneezed, rubbing her nose as she muttered something about hayfever.

"Airen?" Shampoo asked with a puzzled expression, "You no coming down with something? You in very bad way…maybe Shampoo make you remedy? After all, no want give cold or flu to baby."

"Ah…it's nothing like that, Honey," Nabiki apologized, "It's just…I had the weirdest sense that somebody was talking about me. Heh, I mean…what are the odds, right?"

Shampoo inclined her head and studied Nabiki with a curious expression, "Is true? Then why you look like you gamble and lose all money? Is it because Ranma go on training mission without you?"

"Ranma," Nabiki's expression darkened, "The nerve of that guy…what can he be thinking, leave me to go off with his stupid father and Ryoga…"

The purple haired Amazon looked away as she paused before answering, "Maybe him think he need work hard to train since father make challenge to have Ranma defeat you like proper Amazon husband…"

"Now don't you start on that too," Nabiki pleaded.

"Is true, though," Shampoo turned back to study her wife's expression, "Ranma has been in very bad mood because he think he not so much man as you when you male, Airen. Shampoo think him lose pride…very bad for warrior who lose face like that to one he promise to marry."

"And what the heck does that mean?" Nabiki asked, "I don't want to marry Ranma because he can beat me up like some stupid male jock…"

"But Ranma no can defeat you as is," Shampoo calmly pointed out, "So you no have anything to worry about, unlike Shampoo when she lose to handsome boy who come to village…"

"Hey, that's got nothing to…" Nabiki started to protest, then saw the look the Amazon gave her and realized that she had just stepped blindly into her wife's cunning word trap. Shampoo's smile was all the confirmation Nabiki needed to affirm her deeply held conviction that purple haired girls were not a commodity to be taken lightly.

After all, Shampoo was a great many things, but (appearances aside) NEVER a bimbo!

"Shampoo think she very lucky she find strong man who can understand her," Shampoo mused, "No mind that Nabiki is stronger fighter, even when girl. But Ranma no like Shampoo…he much, much too proud to be thought weak and clumsy because he only second best when it come to fighting."

"He's not second-best to me!" Nabiki snapped, then faltered as she glanced down and continued, "He's…just such a sensitive guy…too sensitive for his own sake. I don't know what I could have done that would make him feel this way…it's just not fair I tell you!"

Shampoo looked away and heaved a sigh as she stared at her sleeping baby, curled up on her lap like innocence personified, "Shampoo think she know why Ranma feel so neglected. Is partly Shampoo fault…take up so much of Nabiki's time that Ranma no feel like he very important. Is same with Ukyo and Perfume-cousin…"

"Say what again?" Nabiki looked up, "What have they got to do with this?"

"Shampoo thought you already know, Airen," her purple haired bride responded, "Ukyo growing heavy with child, already like halfway through term, even though it no be all that long since Perfume get her pregnant. Ukyo need much help doing things she used to take for granted, she no can accept that she is less able to fend for self with baby. Perfume do many things to help, and so has Ranma. Ranma very strong and supportive, but when he get anything back beside a thank you? He work to make life better for family, like proper Amazon male…"

"But Ranma isn't an Amazon!" Nabiki protested.

"He one by adoption," Shampoo replied, "But you right…he no raised like Amazon. He raised like Japanese boy, taught how to be man by mother who think a man is one who likes many women. Shampoo no think Ranma train very hard to change diapers…"

"Huh?" Nabiki blinked, "You mean…the four o'clock feedings and stuff have been getting to him?"

"Is hard to say," Shampoo replied, "But Ranma look very tired after long day taking turn with baby. He happy to be father…but Shampoo wonder how happy he be that baby no is his save by marriage?"

"Then why the hell doesn't the jerk just come right out and say it?" Nabiki fumed in frustration.

Shampoo eyed Nabiki sidelong and asked, "What you say to him if he do say this?"

"That he shouldn't make such a big deal out of…oh…" Nabiki blinked her eyes, suddenly having a faint inkling of the point her wife was making.

"That what Shampoo mean," the Amazon said with deceptive simplicity in her tone, "That Airen tell Ranma no worry about his feelings…make it seem that feelings no important to Nabiki. Is wonder Ranma last this long feeling like no one listen to him or think how he must feel being step-father to other womans' baby.."

"You think he really does mind that we had this kid without him?" Nabiki asked.

Shampoo shook her head negatively, "Ranma no mind that Nabiki have baby with Shampoo…Ranma mind very much that Ranma no have baby with Nabiki. Then maybe Airen think more of him when holding Lylac in arms. Maybe Ranma have baby with Shampoo it make him happy, but only happy if he think he special and appreciate…is that right word? Appreciate for him efforts."

Nabiki thought about that for a moment then said, "And what about Kuonji?"

"Ranma want have baby with her, yes," Shampoo agreed, "But Cousin beat to punch, and maybe Perfume no bother hide how proud she is to have baby with Airen."

"Geez…" Nabiki murmured, "I…I think I'm starting to get a hint here about why Ranchan…why Ranma thinks he's being neglected…"

"Airen," Shampoo said, "You love Ranma very much, yes?"

"Urk!" Nabiki reacted, caught off guard by this very simple question.

"Is okay," Shampoo smiled as she eyed Nabiki sidelong, "No have to say you love Ranma for Shampoo to know it. Shampoo see how he make you feel warm and cared for inside. Is much like how Shampoo feel when she with Nabiki."

"But…what about Ranma and you?" Nabiki asked, "Do you…like him?"

"Is there something Shampoo no like?" the Amazon asked coyly, "Maybe him no Airen, but Ranma very strong and important man. Great fighter, yes, but also good man who care about Airen."

"If he cares so much, then why is he abandoning me to go on this stupid training mission?" Nabiki grit her teeth in frustration.

"Maybe him panda father have good point," Shampoo mused, "Ranma need train to build up confidence, make Ranma know he important after all. If Ranma train and face Nabiki with full effort, it prove to him that he is strong male fighter, even if he lose, at least he show what he made of."

"But I don't want to have to fight Ranma on these terms," Nabiki vented, "I don't need to prove anything to know that I lo-uh…that I care for him lots…"

"Airen," Shampoo sighed, "Japanese way very hard…you no learn how to live with you emotions. You think always you be in control, that show feelings make you weak before others. Ranma exact same way, him no know how to say he love Airen, just as Airen no say she love Ranma with no stutter."

"Ah…" Nabiki glanced away, embarrassed by what remained a major stumbling block in her relationship with Ranma. Her memory still bright with the inexplicable and unexpected kiss Ranma had given her, she found herself unable to prevent a serious case of spontaneous blushing from turning her cheeks crimson.

Shampoo sighed as she glanced down at her sleeping infant, "Let's hope you no pick up bad habit of you father, little one. Shampoo want see you grow up always smiling and relaxed. Girl get wrinkles she always serious and no want to share feelings with others…"

"Hey, I'm not like that," Nabiki protested, then paused before adding, "Am I?"

"No with Shampoo," the Amazon turned a smile on her that was pure mischief, "Shampoo take time and learn to understand you, Airen, read you like book when you no think she can. Nabiki always try be mysterious with others, but you relax with family and show side you hide from others."

"I guess maybe I do seem a little…" Nabiki paused as she looked up with a frown, "Something I can do for you, Ucchan?"

"We need to talk, Sugar," Ukyo said with a scowl, not glancing at Perfume, who hovered just behind her wife with a look of hesitation.

"What a coincidence," Nabiki narrowed her eyes, "I was just going to propose the same thing. You've heard about Ranma?"

"Take a guess," Ukyo replied, "He took off just a little while ago, but not before I gave him a good piece of my mind…or started to anyway when his mom came up and…well…I got kind of distracted."

"Yeah, I can imagine," Nabiki nodded, recalling how their prospective mother-in-law could be when she had a mind to intercede in a domestic matter, "So…what did Ranchan say to you anyway?"

"That he was going off to train with his old man," Ukyo replied, "Or something like that, but I could tell he was pretty bothered about something, and I was hoping maybe you might clue me in a little over what could upset him like that."

"Welcome to the club," Nabiki sniffed, "I've been asking myself the same thing, like…what could either of us have done to make him think that we were taking him for granted?"

Ukyo's shoulders slumped as she looked down, "You want the short list? I guess maybe I've been leaning on him a little too much…but it's not exactly like it's my fault that I feel like a pregnant hippo!"

"What coincidence," Shampoo said in obvious amusement, "Shampoo feel same way no too long ago. Great grandmother think it take many weeks for Shampoo to work herself back into proper fighting trim, but you get used to feeling like swollen melon left out in sun. At least you walk now, but in time you find no can do as often."

"Terrific," Ukyo sniffed, "More fun stuff that I've got to look to forward to. You sure know how to cheer a girl up, Shampoo…"

"Look on bright side," the Amazon said sweetly, "Is Jusenkyo pregnancy…take less time than normal time to have baby. Six month and baby full form, like Lylac. You only pregnant one half that time, get much-much heavy get nearer to have baby."

"Look, can we get back to the subject of Ranma?" Nabiki asked, "Does he really think that we've been taking his feelings for granted?"

"Gee, let me see about that," Ukyo replied, "Could his running away from us possibly be a sign that he feels a little crowded?"

"What, in the dojo?" Nabiki asked.

"Don't play stupid," Ukyo replied, "I know you're way too smart for that, Nab-chan. You know very well how crowded everything in the dojo is most days, it's a wonder that people can even hear themselves thinking, what with the classes and the baby and all the challenge letters that have had to be answered lately. It's not much better at our restaurant, and with me feeling extremely limited and all, and Ranchan being such a gentleman in wanting to help out…"

"Okay, I think I get the picture," Nabiki murmured softly.

"You know," Ukyo added, "There are times when I think Ranchan gets loads more support from his friends, Ryoga and Kuno, than he gets from us, the women he's supposed to marry. I think we both have started to take it for granted that everything was all right with him…just because we haven't really asked about his feelings…"

"I…never really thought of it like that," Nabiki looked down at her feet and silently curled her toes as she recalled an **unfortunate** number of incidents when she had missed the opportunity to tell Ranma directly how much she had appreciated his reasonableness and understanding. She had always found it hard to put into words the complex feelings that he inspired in her and had just assumed that he could naturally understand those feelings since they seemed to be mirrored in himself…in retrospect a rather dangerous and ill-thought assumption.

"Seems neither of us has been doing much thinking when it comes to him of late," Ukyo remarked, also looking down instead of at her childhood playmate and companion, "We just sort-of fell into the pattern of assuming that Ranma was going to be reasonable and supportive forever. I guess we hurt the guy's pride, though of all of us it seems Per-chan here was the only one to see it coming."

"Perfume?" Nabiki looked up, and then her eyes narrowed slightly, "What exactly would you know about Ranchan's state of mind anyway…and why didn't you inform either one of us about this sooner?"

"Huh?" Perfume blinked her eyes, "Hey, now wait a minute! I only just figured it our myself a short while ago, when I…ah…talked with Saotome in private…"

"Do go on," Nabiki murmured with a level expression, "Just what did you two talk about?"

"Ah…" Perfume tried to look impassive, knowing full well that Nabiki was an excellent reader of facial expressions and body language, and that her own training as an Amazon had left her poorly equipped to either conceal or deceive on that level.

"Hey, don't blame this on Per-chan, all right?" Ukyo at once came to the defense of her Amazon wife, "We're the ones who should have been watching out for our mutual iinazuke's well being. Don't try to pass that blame off onto others…"

"I wasn't going to," Nabiki remained level, "I just wanted to know what Ranma was willing to say to Perfume that he wouldn't say to us directly."

"Actually…I sort of did most of the talking," Perfume glanced away, almost willing herself to be elsewhere, "…I think I'm the one he holds most to blame for the way things have been going lately, but when I challenged him on his resolution…well…he showed me that he still has a lot of spunk and fire, and that's a pretty good basis for hoping we can still make a go at this wedding."

"What exactly did you tell him, Sugar?" Ukyo looked critically at her wife, "All Ranchan seemed willing to admit to was that you kissed him."

"On the cheek, okay?" Perfume said almost defensively, "Look…it shouldn't be any secret that-of the five of us-the bonds between the two of us are the weakest. I don't even like guys, though I'd admit for an outsider male…he can be pretty decent."

"Cousin," Shampoo spoke up, "You no let Ranma think you rival for Airen?"

"As a matter of fact," Perfume sighed, "That's exactly what I thought Ranma viewed me as being, so I went in there intending to reassure him that I'm not, and instead I…kind of got angry and challenged him to see which of us would make the better mate for Ucchan."

"You WHAT?" Ukyo reacted.

"It didn't come out the way I meant it to, all right?" Perfume looked down, "I just further wounded his pride and alienated him by questioning how strong his commitment was to the marriage. I was wrong and I let myself get carried away, okay? I know it was stupid of me, but when I thought he was blaming me for getting you pregnant…"

"I see," Nabiki glanced down again, "Then you're not really to blame for Ranma leaving, but…but I wish you'd come to me first instead of trying to solve this on your own, okay? Ranma listens to me…but I guess I'm the one who should have been listening to him, huh?"

"You could put it that way," Perfume sighed, "But you don't need to yell at me, I feel bad enough about myself as it is. I guess the trouble is…all my life I've been taught to despise weakness in others, and being a weak girl myself, I've had to work hard at overcoming limitations that other people hardly even think about. It…kind of leaves me a bit short-sighted when it comes to the sorts of doubts that have been eating up Saotome."

"Shampoo understand," Shampoo sighed, "Great grandmother teaching no work best when it come to letting boy be boy who less than totally perfect. Is what she never like in Mousse, him being weak in head when chasing Perfume cousin."

"Hey, that guy can't even hold a candle next to Ranchan," Ukyo insisted.

"No argument there," Perfume said, "But the problem with Mousse is that he can't take no for an answer and insists on having his way in spite of my wishes on the subject. Saotome isn't like that…in fact, he's more the kind of guy who would never put pressure on a girl or try and force her to do a thing that was against her nature. I…respect him for this."

"Is true," Shampoo nodded softly, "Sometime Shampoo wonder what it be like if she meet Ranma instead of Nabiki that day in village. Would she be as happy call him Airen if he defeat her in battle? Him very strong, proud and manly, and Shampoo also think he Hottie."

"You do?" Nabiki arched an eyebrow at hearing such an unfamiliar expression flowing unexpectedly from her wife.

"You think Shampoo never notice he have nice butt?" Shampoo smirked at her, "No tell Shampoo you jealous?"

"Of Ranchan?" Nabiki found the whole idea absurdly funny, but in spite of this all she could manage was a slight smile that hardly upset her otherwise moody state of mind, nor did it do that much for Ukyo's either.

"Well, face it, Girlfriends," Ukyo sighed, "We all lucked out with having him be the middle hub in this whole crazy group arrangement. But…that's just the point, don't you see? Without Ranchan being in the center, the four of us are likely to just drift apart into same-sex married couples."

"That's certainly true," Perfume looked at one hand and flexed her fingers, "I was pretty much resolved to living a solitary life before I met you, Airen, but finding out you had a promised husband of your own did make me…a wee bit jealous in the beginning. It was actually quite reassuring when he beat me and Shampoo during our double challenge…it meant we had a strong man who could defend our status in the tribe, and protect us from outside challenges, like the ones Mousse keeps issuing…or any of the Elders on the council back home. I sometimes wonder what my grandmother would say about this if she were here…no doubt she'd give her approval, she always was a funny one, even by the standards of most Elders."

"Your grandmother, Per-chan?" Ukyo asked.

"The Elder Siren," Perfume replied as she turned to study her wife, "Only she'd probably chew me out if I called her that within her presence. I was named for a different Elder, my great-grandmother on my father's side of the family tree, but it's my grandmother I most respect, probably because she's the only one of her generation to refuse a seat on the council."

"Sounds like quite a character," Nabiki murmured.

"She is," Shampoo nodded slowly, "Siren very, very powerful Amazon Mage, even great-grandmother no wish tangle with her. She most powerful Elder, even more powerful than great-grandmother and senior Lore Master, Lotion the Elder."

"Yet, in spite of it all, Grandmother just likes to have fun," Perfume sighed, "She doesn't take life as seriously as I do, she just likes to live life to the hilt and never ties herself down with too many commitments."

"I think this is taking us well beyond the original subject," Nabiki pointed out, "Ranma said he was coming back in a couple of weeks, so what are we going to tell him when we see him next?"

"That we love the baka and never want him to leave our sides ever again," Ukyo replied with a slight smirk, "And if he doesn't get that the first time, I'll pound it into him with my peel."

"No forget, Airen," Shampoo smiled, "He also challenge you to Marriage Battle. Him father say he train to defeat you so that you marry him in Amazon wedding."

"Ah…" Nabiki blinked her eyes, "Him…defeat me? Ah…no offense, guys, but that doesn't sound too likely."

"You ought to have more faith in Ranchan than that, Sugar," Ukyo smirked, "He's got a knack, just like you, of pulling off miracles when you least expect it."

"And don't forget," Perfume quickly pointed out, "If he does defeat and marry you, then that removes the single biggest obstacle he has to feeling like he's genuinely a part of this marriage."

"Huh?" Nabiki blinked again, "What do you mean?"

"Airen," Shampoo said patiently, as if explaining the obvious to a very small child, "You no forget why he say he not ready to share bed with you and Ukyo?"

It was Ukyo's turn to blink her eyes as she said, "Hey, that's right! Ranchan said he was waiting until we were all formally married before he…Oh my!"

"Before he…oh," Nabiki formed a very round "O" with her mouth as she finally got it.

"Just think of it as a consolation prize for the possibility of losing," Perfume pointed out with a slight smirk, "You become his wives, then he has an obligation to consummate the union by sharing a bed with each one of you in turn, claiming you formally as his wives…and-potentially-the mothers of his future offspring."

"But Cousin," Shampoo pointed out, "It also mean he have to make nicey-nice bed games with you too since you part of marriage."

"Ah…well…I think I might…somehow manage to struggle along with that," Perfume hoped that the forest canopy overhead would conceal a certain bloom that painted her cheeks with rosy tincture.

"Ah…look," Nabiki pointed out, "I'm flattered you're all so worried about the state of my…ah…'virginity' and all that…but in case you're forgetting something, Ranma still has to actually beat me, unless I deliberately choose to throw the fight, and I just don't think that would be a very fair thing to do if I want to impress Ranma."

"Airen," Shampoo said softly, "You forget something else? Ranma train with father, who teach you to be great fighter."

"Yeah…so?" Nabiki replied.

"So what makes you think that Ranchan won't improve that much when he gets back here?" Ukyo asked her.

"Hey, I trained for ten years under Pops Saotome," Nabiki said, "How is two weeks going to make that much of an improvement for Ranma? I know all the Old Man's tricks by heart…"

"All of his tricks and tactics?" Perfume asked, "Doesn't seem very likely."

"Huh?" Nabiki turned to the brown haired Enforcer, "What do you mean by that?"

"Is simple," Shampoo replied, "Elder never teach student all she know until time she graduate as full War Master. Great-grandmother never show Shampoo all she know, or Perfume either."

"That's right," Ukyo said, "My grandfather and aunt always said that they were saving the best tricks in their arsenal for the day when I proved to them that I was ready to receive their knowledge."

"And just imagine what part of his arsenal Genma would save to pass on to his own flesh and blood when Ranma proves himself ready," Perfume added, "If there's one thing I've learned from watching that guy, it's that he never shows everything in his hands, and he's always got a few pieces tucked away for a game of Shogi."

"You mean…he might have a few techniques left that he never taught me?" Nabiki seemed stunned at the idea, then suddenly she lurched to her feet, balling her fists and she cried out, "POPS, IF I FIND OUT YOU'VE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON ME-!"

"Why no wait and see, Airen," Shampoo pointed out.

"Yeah," Ukyo said, "If you wait long enough, then you can learn the new techniques from Ranma."

"Mind you," Perfume added, "They would have to be pretty formidable in order to make up for the gap that separates you from Ranma, but…I'm just saying it's possible, okay? I mean…the Old Man looked as though he thought he had something up his sleeve that could do the trick."

"Yeah," Ukyo agreed, "He sure looked confident about that…even I'm starting to wonder what it might be."

"We find out when Ranma return to us," Shampoo mused, "In mean time, you train hard and be ready, eh Airen?"

"Oh yeah," Nabiki grit her teeth, "You can count on that…Sugar."

As she said those words, however, Nabiki felt a slight chill in the air and wondered at its source, or why she felt a peculiar anxiety fill her bosom with dread, as if something dangerous were about to befall her wayward iinazuke…

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Campfire Stories for Young Martial Artists: Shadowmane@msn.com