Project A-Ko Fan Fiction ❯ Project A-Ko: New Adventures of Supergirl! ❯ Fortress Breakout! One ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Project A-ko: DC Universe 2045

The Fortress Breakout: One

The alarm rang through the Watchtower, Oracle's voice ringing out as she reported, "There has been a breakout at the Fortress, repeat, there has been a breakout at the Fortress."

The members of the Justice League began to gather in the meeting room in seconds, lead by a red and gold streak. "I thought that it was escape proof?" Flash asked, the slim young woman frowning as she moved restlessly.

"There is no such thing as escape proof," Martian Manhunter replied dryly, the green skinned figure slipping through the floor to enter the chamber.

"If you're someone like Mister Miracle maybe," Supergirl strode in, red hair flowing around her head, "but I thought that all of the dampers built into the Fortress were supposed to keep the criminals there under control."

Steel and Kestrel strode in together as they both pulled on their uniforms. "You're timing stinks," Steel muttered, her long blue hair flowing down her back.

Kestrel scowled as she pulled her purple gloves on, "So who else is up here?"

D-ko entered after them, the little blonde still dressed in her maid's uniform. "Firestorm is attending to personal business," she noted, "but Green Lantern should be here."

There was a flash of green from an outside window and Green Lantern appeared, the young woman settling down beside them. "Sorry," she said sheepishly, "I was just doing some exterior maintenance on the 'Tower."

"So what are we dealing with?" Supergirl asked.

In the middle of the meeting room's table appeared the holographic image of a young woman sitting in a wheelchair. "Eyewitness reports are sketchy," she said seriously, "but it appears that the Fortress has been destroyed by an unknown power."

There was a moment of shocked silence. "You can't be serious," Flash managed.

Supergirl closed her eyes for a moment then she took on a determined expression. "Use the old JLA membership cards and signaling devices," she opened her eyes and ordered crisply, "we need to get anyone available mobilized. There are hundreds of criminals that were in there, far too many for us to try and contain alone."

Oracle's hologram flickered slightly as she went to work, diverting processing power to other functions. "Should I inform the non-aligned teams like the Outsiders?" she asked as the team moved to the teleporters.

"Pass the information on," Kestrel offered, "if they act on it is their choice." With that the team entered the chambers, there was a flare of light and they were gone.

In the American midwest, near a small country town a group of supervillains gazed around in fear and confusion. The animals circled the group, domestic pets, farm animals and wild creatures growled dangerously, pinning them down.

"What the hell is this?" Calendar Man blurted, the number printed cape swirling around him.

"You picked the wrong town to hit," the blonde haired man commented. He leaned up against the tree chewing an apple, his hair mostly gray, a ragged beard covering his chin.

"And who are you?" Sportsmaster asked, using her golf club to fend off a cat.

"My name is Buddy Baker," he shrugged casually, "but I used to be called Animal Man." Under his breath he added, "I knew I should have gotten rid of my old JL Europe ID card."

** Up in the Watchtower Oracle smiled to herself. 'I never expected so many to respond, honestly.' She frowned slightly, calling up information. The Outsiders were handling crisises in Opal City, a rough assemblage of Titans were dealing with New York, but there were still major trouble spots. **

BOOM!

The sonic boom rattled people's teeth as Supergirl raced across the country, her teeth grit with determination. "They're attacking where in Metropolis?" she demanded.

Maggie Sawyer's voice was related by Oracle, "Lexcorp corporate headquarters, there's a large group of costumed criminals of all sorts, led by the General."

"The General?" Supergirl repeated.

Oracle's voice came on-line with the information, "The General was an adversary of Batman's years ago, a tactical genius in his preteens. He opposed both Robin and other heroes before apparently going straight. In reality he moved into corporate crime but was busted a few years ago."

"Entering Metropolis," Supergirl swept by the Daily Planet globe, "signing off."

The Lexcorp Tower had smoke billowing up on the lower levels, someone having done serious damage to the exterior security systems. The black haired man directed the others, his replica military uniform marking him as the General.

"I've taken out the exterior cannons," the armored man said with a sneer, massive cannons mounted on each arm.

"Well done Barrage," General answered. He looked up, "Did Killer Moth survive his encounter with the lasers?"

"Cut him to ribbons," the girl in a bathing suit and goggles shrugged, "but you can count on Phantom Lady. My black light powers have blinded the security systems on the lower levels."

Supergirl dropped down in front of them, deciding that being sneaky was going to be a waste of time. "You know who I am," she said to them crisply, "you know what I can do, so why not just surrender now?"

"Metallo?" General snapped his fingers.

"Woah!" Supergirl cried as metal cables exploded from the ground to wrap around her, glowing with deadly green kryptonite radiation.

"I took your daddy on," the robotic figure emerged from the ground, his body bulky, trying to look muscular somehow, "you're small change, kid."

Supergirl bit back nausea and pain, drawing on her amazon heritage for strength. With a groan she tore from the cables, turning around quickly to pick the cyborg up with one hand. She grabbed the startled figure by the head and tore it free.

"Hey!" Metallo squealed as she hurled the head one way and the body another.

"Next," Supergirl looked at the General, the man's own expression calculating.

"No," the General held up his hand to stop Barrage and Phantom Lady from acting, "I was counting on you still being preoccupied by all the other Fortress escapees. Tactically it makes no sense to carry on fighting."

The battle field was encased in pure darkness, one that even Supergirl's eyes couldn't pierce. Just a moment later it completely dissipated, the General and Phantom Lady both gone and a startled Barrage left standing there.

"That son of a b..." Barrage cursed and kept on cursing when the Metropolis PD eventually came by to pick him up.

** 'Star Labs in Pittsburgh is under attack,' Oracle calmly noted, 'but thankfully we already have someone on scene.' She smiled slightly, 'More than one someone, in fact.' **

The Ray cut across the battlefield, his body merely a black shadow within his powerful golden energy field. He lashed out with energy bolts and solid light constructs, struggling valiantly to keep his purple skinned enemy at bay as he called, "Firestorm, you all right? I can't hold the Parasite back for much longer."

"Just need to catch my breath," the flaming haired hero called back. Firestorm leaned on a brown haired woman who looked at him in concern.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Louise Lincon asked softly.

"I'll live," Firestorm smiled wryly. He pushed himself to stand up straight, "We've got to make Parasite burn up his energy before he tries something really destructive."

"I love this power," the Parasite laughed as the misshapen man lashed out with the powers he had stolen from firestorm, transforming the road into liquid tar and engulfing running spectators.

"No!" Louise ran forward, the temperature dropping all around her. Her clothes shattered, then her skin went snow white as she transformed, sealing the startled Parasite in ice.

"Killer Frost?" Ray gaped at her in shock.

"Just Frost," she answered as Parasite broke free violently.

"Hey," Parasite looked at her in surprise, "I thought we were on the same side?"

"Not any more," Frost engulfed him in ice as she yelled to Firestorm, "Now!"

Ice shifted to iron under Firestorm's blast but Parasite broke free. Again and again they entombed him, until finally the powers that he had absorbed faded enough that he couldn't break free.

In the aftermath Frost shifted to human form even as sirens wailed in the distance. "If you don't mind," Louise pulled a Firestorm created garment on, "I'd rather not stick around for the police."

"Thanks," Ray waved as she left.

To be continued...