Ragnarok Fan Fiction ❯ MVP Anthology ❯ Doppelganger ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Here's the story of Doppelganger, the thing down in the bowels of Geffen's underground!

The young bard strums on his mandolin, his clear voice cutting through the mountain air, as the audience quiets to listen to yet another tale...

"It so happens that deep underground the streets of Geffen, there exists an ancient city, build by wizards and abandoned several hundred years ago. Now, the city is full to the brim with evil monsters, and ghosts and ghouls wander the broken streets...

"It also happens that there was one wizard who refused to abandon the city he loved. He had grown up in that city, lived and loved and lost, and he could not bear to part with it. He knew, however, that he would not be around forever, so he sought to create a companion who would also serve as the guardian of the city, and protect it from harm..."

"So, the wizard spent many months researching the forbidden arts of necromancy, and sought to return to life one of the greatest heroes to ever walk the planet, in order to harness his power for the guardian. So the wizard tried and tried to ressurect the hero's power, but failed in each attempt..."

"Finally, in the last years of his life, the wizard sought the Ninth Devil, Baphomet, and made a desperate bargain. Now, Baphomet loved bargains with mortals, especially when there was nothing for him to lose. The wizard pleaded with the goat-man to let him live forever, so that he could be with his beloved city for an eternity. Baphomet granted the poor wizard's wish, but made him a shapeless, whispy thing. So, the wizard was forced to wander the streets of his hometown, unable to interact with anything... And slowly, the city fell into ruin..."

"Eventually, the wizard grew bitter and forgot his passion for life and learning. He merely floated about the city, howling at any living thing he came accross, as he still clung to the notion that he could protect the city which had already been lost..."

"One day, as the wizard floated about, he noticed a proud young swordsman walking about his streets, peeking in windows and rifling through ancient books. The wizard was outraged!

"'How dare you come into MY city!!' shouted the wizard, as he took on a shape that was terrible and frightening. 'Leave at once, and let these ancient secrets lie!'

"The swordsman smiled lightly, and unstrapped a great golden sword from his belt. 'Sir,' he said, his voice full of kindness and serenity, 'I merely wish to learn form these ancient tomes. I will, however, protect myself.' With that, the ghoul-wizard flung himself at the swordsman, who in turn cleaved him in half with one powerful swipe of his great sword. The wizard wailed and screamed, as his essence was torn apart, his last bit of sanity leaving him... However, the deal he had made with the Ninth Devil still stood, and the wisps of demon were fused with the powerful swordsman, until the two were one..."

"Now, and for ever more, the posessed swordsman walks the city streets, driven by the ancient wizard's desire to fend off any and all intruders... Anyone daring enough to venture into the deepest levels of the labyrinth city can even hear the soft, pure voice of the young swordsman, whistling a war hymn as he goes to his perpetual defeat..."

The bard bows, and retires to his tent, preparing for the next tale...


Converting /tmp/phpFqi4GG to /dev/stdout