Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Avatar ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: This is a parody inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and Nickelodeon. All characters (that I have not created or borrowed from other sources) belong to them . This is a fan fiction, and is
not intended to violate the rights of those who hold control over the Ranma 1/2 and Avatar:The Last Airbender series. I have no money for legal problems and would very much appreciate it if no one tries to sue me. Thank you very much.
 
A thanks to AYH for their help in editing some of the content of this and the last chapter.
 
Wild Avatar
By HVulpes
Chapter Eight
 
Ranma was looking at the small garden park that was placed on one of the mountain like towers of the city. He had been trying to hone the skill of finding people using their unique chi signatures as a sort of expanded danger sense which he had already developed with his training with his father. So that was why he had been playing this game of hide-and-seek with Shampoo.
 
Most of the trees and bushes that had been placed in their gated park were either there to provide food or to resemble a scenic view that looked like they came out of the wilderness. It did provide a lot of locations that were hidden out of direct view of those that were walking in the park, giving the bouncy young woman plenty of space to hide from those that would be seeking her.
 
'Which is why I am hunting her using the technique, cause if I can find her using only chi I should be able ta find anyone.' Ranma thought as he began to look again for the woman using the method that he had been practicing. It was not an easy technique as it required sensing chi when he wasn't in danger and being more selective about the chi that he was detecting.
 
'It's like finding one small thing in a room full of junk; ya have ta look closer so that ya can see it.' Ranma shifted his mind so that he could feel chi. The fact that he was in a garden that was full of plants and had people walking in and out of the section that they were in made it even harder to find one single source of life.
 
'I've gotta look at this in a different way, I have ta find a way to make Shampoo's chi different than the chi that is all around me. If I can do that, it should make it easier ta see that chi through the other chi in the park.' Ranma thought back to the chi that Shampoo had shown him before she took to hiding, to the image that it showed in his mind.
 
'It was a strong chi, likely the results of all of the martial arts training that she had gone through. It also makes me think of earth, like the mountains where she's from. It's also human, not plant or animal; female, not male.' Ranma was reminded of the basics of his training with Genma over danger sensing. One of the lowest level tricks was telling the difference between plants, animals of different kinds and the chi of people. Plus the fact that he changed sex so often allowed him to tell the difference between male and female chi, which was linked to the level and markings of yin and yang in the chi signature.
 
Shifting from the more general sense of chi to the more unique elements that made up the Amazon woman he began to sense his way through the small woods that hid her from his eyes. He started to pick up the chi that reminded Ranma of Shampoo, giving him an image of her so that he could track her. What he was noticing was that this same chi had been stationary before, but as he got closer it began to move away from the spot that it had collected.
 
'It makes sense since Shampoo knows this trick as well; she can tell where I am as I am chasing her.' Ranma was certain the moving chi mark was Shampoo trying to test his skills by moving away from him just as he was starting to follow her. Ranma needed to find a way for him to track her while figuring out a way for him to avoid her detecting him so that she could not run away from him.
 
'I wish I knew how ta hide my chi so that people couldn't find me using it, no way that Shampoo could run from me if she can't see me,' Ranma admitted to himself as he tried to come up with solutions to the problem that the young warrior girl was making him face. Adding to his thoughts, 'But I don't know how ta do that or how to start training ta do it, at least till I know this technique first. So my only other choice is ta out run and out think her.'
 
Reminding himself of the torture like training method that his father had force on him during their years together he remember the trick of avoiding being caught while running away from someone. Using those traits of running away he was able to come up a different plan of attack that would nullify those methods that would aid someone running away from him.
 
Ranma began to look at the directions that Shampoo was running in noticing that she was staying in the small grove of trees that was his hunting grounds. That told him that she just wanted to make it a little harder for him to catch her, not cause him to fail the test that they were going through. That gave him an advantage in finding her, if he could use the knowledge of terrain to aid in getting her into a position that he could finally catch her.
 
The young student of airbending was learning more about area that he was in, using the trees to his benefit as he knew that the young Amazon could not run through the trees on the ground. Taking the advantage of hopping from branch to branch using his skills in both the new art that he had learned from Aang and his traditional Anything Goes school. He found that he could gain more ground that way because of the speed training that he had learned under Genma, Cologne and Aang.
 
As he got closer he could feel more of the chi that he was tracking and was certain that it was Shampoo that he was following. It was like her chi brought to life the different senses of the woman that had been his sensei just a few minutes before. It was only a short period of time before the chi was very close to him, so close that he could taste it. Then he could see a flash of purple in the brush, a visual cue that he had been successful in his training.
 
Continuing using the chi method with the addition of his other senses, he began to track his Chinese 'fiancée' through the brush. He saw more and more of her as he got closer with the running through the branches, flashes of her bright hair, her new blue clothing that she had gained on Kyoshi Island, and the signs of disturbance in the woodlands. He caught sight of her and with one look back from her she knew that he was on her tail. But she continued to run from him leading him on this chase.
 
Ranma stepped up his pace as he tried to catch the warrior woman, moving ever closer and closer to her as he went. He tried to judge the distance that was between her and him self, trying to set up the final pounce that he would use to hold her. Bring in a breath of air so that he could get himself ready, tightening his muscles for his next attack. Then with a final burst of speed he leaped into action as he arms opened up so that he could hold on to her so that she could not escape.
 
He hit his target with an accuracy that seemed some how superhuman, his arms surrounding her as he brought her down to the ground with his momentum. They tumbled in the woods for a couple of feet before they stopped with Ranma taking the brunt of the force of the landing. Ranma was on his back with Shampoo lying on top of him, both of them trying to catch their breath from the running that they had been doing.
 
'It's strange but this kinda feels nice. It's at moments like this that I forget that she tried to kill me or that she tries to force me to love her.' With that last thought Ranma's mood darkened and he felt embarrassed. Shampoo started to turn in his arms so that she was facing him, a smile on her lips as she looked at him.
 
"You have learnt the technique and have increased your tracking skills as well. You are able to follow a moving target using only their chi to follow. You should be proud of yourself." Shampoo said as she got up out of Ranma's arms so that she was standing over him, which removed the awkwardness that he was feeling with her in his arms.
 
Ranma rose once Shampoo was not in his arms anymore, a mixture of sadness and gladness at being released from the closeness that they had with each other. He was also pleased that Shampoo had not kept herself glomped on to him instead choosing to release herself from him so that he could breath. He gave her back a real smile as he was glad that she was not as clingy to him as she had been before.
 
"Thank you, Shampoo. I'll try my best ta perfect this technique so that I can use it more, maybe even coming up with a version that I can use daily." Ranma said his eyes and face taking on a more thoughtful look as he started to come up with that version of the technique.
 
"So Ranma, perhaps it is time for a little friendly spar? See how advanced we have come with the training methods that we have used? Hero Woman style versus Anything Goes style." Shampoo asked as she moved to leave the woods, moving carefully over the roots and sticks that littered the ground.
 
"Alright, but do ya really want me going full force against ya with my martial arts? I can be rather rough when I go all out against an opponent." Ranma asked as he started to follow her again.
 
"Shampoo would not want it any other way. The only way to get stronger is to fight stronger opponents and improve your moves within the field of battle. Shampoo will try not to outclass Ranma with her moves, if he tries not to outclass Shampoo with his moves." Shampoo said, turning her head back to give Ranma a dirty look.
 
Ranma just nodded as he followed Shampoo to a part of the park that was more open field than woods.
 
Elsewhere in the city...
 
Cologne was following the older man that she had just met a few minutes earlier and was pleased with what she saw. He walked with the moves of a master martial artist, with each step a measure of the skills that he held.
 
As she watched the students train in the open area that was part of the school she could tell that they were dedicated to their arts with the work they placed into their moves. This made her glad that she had worked so hard to find this school rather than go with some of the lesser schools that she had passed on her way here.
 
"I am so glad to be able to visit your school Master Yi and to see the skills of the people of Omashu. The earthbenders of my village are not as skilled as those that you have here in the big city," Cologne told the older man that had been her guide.
 
"I believe that it is my duty to educate people, whether it be in the art of earthbending or with regard to respect the elder generation. I am sure that my students can show you the skills that they have learned and help you decide what to do with your granddaughter's education with her bending abilities," Master Yi said as he took the elder Amazon to the middle of the field and created a seat of stone for her to sit on.
 
He clapped his hands and his students stood at attention. He then spoke to them, "Students, we have a guess that is interested in see if her granddaughter would be interested in training at our school. So we are going to demonstrate some of our skills in sparring matches. When I call you will come forward and prepare to fight." Calling out two names his students appeared in the field while the others took the sidelines.
 
Cologne watched the practice fighting that the young earthbenders were doing, memorizing the moves and their effects in the same way that she did when she was a young martial artist. Watching the strong stomps to the earth that raised rocks from the ground then thrusting the stones through the air with harsh punches.
 
She saw the same stone turn to sand with a thrust of the hands, parting the rock turned sand like it was water, then having the sand reassemble into smaller sharper rocks that struck with the flick of a hand. A wall of stone rose with great speed as the students hands moved as if lifting something heavy, blocking the small stones which were deflected off of the wall with ease.
 
The opposing student sunk the wall into the earth with a hand movement pushing down, revealing that the other student had disappeared from behind the shelter. From behind the opposing student the earth shifted as the other student came up from the ground so that the first student was standing behind the second student. The first student tried to punch the second student only to have himself sink into the earth as the second student caused the earth that the first stood on to turn into something that looked like quicksand.
 
The first student tried to fight against the sinking that was occurring with the earth below but it seemed that the second was more skilled in their power over the most solid of the four elements. Soon, only the head of the second student was above the ground as the rest of their body was sunk in the now more firm earth. The second student stood over the first with her foot over his head in a threatening manner.
 
"Very good student Huang, you have shown that you have learned your lessons well. But beware false pride that would cause you to underestimate your opponents, as those that are weak today may be much stronger tomorrow. Student Qiao, you have show that you are skilled in your art but you still have much to learn. Take the lessons that you have seen in this match and meditate on them. See the weaknesses that you have found, train to become strong and find ways to turn those weaknesses into strengths," Master Yi told the two of them as the students nodded to him with true respect.
 
"I must say that the skill your students have with bending earth is something that I have never seen before. The people of my village have only a few tricks that they can use with the earth, as most of our fighting styles are not bending inclined," said the elder Amazon.
 
"I must say that I did notice that you had the moves of a warrior when you entered the school, you walked with the steps of someone who had trained themselves in the art of battle even if you do not seem to have the moves of someone that could bend," the master said as Cologne gained a new respect for him.
 
"Well, it is true that both sexes of my village train to protect it from dangers. But that was a long time in my past, it is now up to my grandchildren's generation to save the village from the troubles that have befallen the world," she answered him.
 
"Which is why you are seeking better training for your granddaughter so that she can learn to master the spiritual powers that she has within her," Yi said, taking a leap of logic about the elder's action.
 
"Spirituality is very important to a bender, is it not?" She asked him, trying to gain more information from him about some of the more general knowledge of this skill.
 
"Well it is true that there is a link with the physical body; the greater link seems to be with the spiritual aspect of humanity and the link to the lands that they live in. The Earth Kingdom is home to almost all of the earthbenders due to the identity of the people who live there," Yi told her as he began to speak of some of the basic knowledge of the art.
 
"I have, however, heard of both waterbenders and airbenders living on Earth Kingdom lands. But the basic ideas tend to hold true, as each land has its own bending style. Bending seems to be a mix of mind, body and spirit." The master added as he tried to explain the more intangible elements of the art.
 
"Earthbending's mental aspect is to think like a rock, to hold your ground until you decide whether to attack or defend yourself, which tends to make stubbornness a weakness of our style." Cologne nodded with the speech that Yi was giving her.
 
She answered him, "sounds like my Granddaughter, she is always one to stick with one idea unless she is shown a better way of doing something and even then it can be hard for her to change, unless it is something that she truly wants in her heart." The Elder's thoughts turned to Shampoo and her new actions in trying to reach out to Ranma.
 
"Perhaps you would like another example of earthbending?" Yi asked as he summoned his students for another lesson in their arts.
 
Later that day...
 
It was getting close to evening, the sun was slowly sinking in the sky when Cologne started to look for the other groups of people that she was currently traveling with in this strange and new world.
 
Not too long after starting her search for the others she could feel the chi signatures of both her great granddaughter and her son-in-law were heading her way.
 
However, the signature of the Avatar and his friends seemed to be focused on the top of the highest point of the city, the location of the palace if what she had learned from the citizens had been true.
 
It was as she was looking at the palace that stood over the city that the two young people had arrived up behind her. She heard the voice of her son-in-law, "So Aang is up there somewhere, any idea why he would be in the palace?"
 
"I'm not sure why he is there, but if we are going to continue to survive in this world we will have to find out what is happening to our new friends." Cologne said as she started to plan their actions for their next move.
 
"So we march up ta that palace and ask if there's old guy in a yellow outfit and two kids in parkas there?" Ranma asked as he stretched his muscles knowing that things were never that easy.
 
"I think that a more tactical plan is needed than just rushing in head-long into trouble. We don't know if they are being held by an enemy or not. I think that it would be best for us to sneak into the palace." The elder told them.
 
She then added, "Plus there is a thing or two that I want to show Shampoo that might be of use to us if we want to sneak into the palace undetected. If I have learned right almost all of the major doors in the city can only be opened by earthbending. So she might be the only one who could get into the fortress to see what is going on."
 
"Shampoo is willing to learn how to use earthbending to help out Katara and the others. Shampoo will try to learn quick how to use Shampoo's new skills, even if Shampoo is not as fast a learner as Ranma." Shampoo said with a determined look on her face.
 
Author's notes:
 
Well, another chapter done and it took sometime to make the arrangements for this chapter to be put out. But I think that the quality of the fic has come shining through all of the hard work on my part and the part of my beta-reader.
 
I have also posted the first early threads of Anime Avatar, the thread that this is based on, on the Maximum Addventure. It was thinking of posting it slowly there to see if other views that could aid me in writting. Plus it allows me to try out alterntive ideas with this thread, like non-Ranma crossover to changing the bending style of Ranma and Shampoo.
 
Thanks,
 
HVulpes