Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Freedom In Exile ❯ Strangers In A Strange Land ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I didn’t get many votes, and all the ones I got were the same…..Homophobes beware! If you don’t like the idea of two guys being together, you can blame yourself for not voting. {I’m not trying to be mean, or rude, but it’s the truth} I hope everyone enjoys this chapter….I try do what the reviewers ask for, and I tried to make this chapter a little longer than the rest to make up for my slow updating speed. ;P I reeeeaaaaaly apologize for that. I was hoping the chapter would pretty much clear up a lot of the character’s past…Now, let’s get this fic going….Oh, yeah! There’s a contest at the end of the chapter. Check it out!!




“You’ll never know how it feels to be
Who’s left behind
You’ll never know the day, the nights,
The tears, the tears I’ve cried
But now my time has come
And time, time is not on your side”

~~~~~Golden Eyes, Tina Turner


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Freedom In Exile Chapter 6
Strangers In A Strange Land


No matter what fort they were in, they always got dirty, hateful looks. In Avernum, it wasn’t often that people of different races and ranks and class agreed on things. But no one likes a traitor.

The soldiers of the Empire were considered traitors. Working for the common enemy, they helped the evil Emperor in his dirty deeds. It was a soldiers job to destroy villages, execute heavy criminals, and most importantly, capture those who were to become exiles. You couldn’t blame people for hating them on the surface or in Avernum, they were know for having ruined peoples lives.

~~Heero Ashiym

Name: Ashiym, Heero

D.O.B: Reign of The Empire 182

Age: 17

Birthplace: Krisan

Class: Type A Soldier

Notes: A Great Renown and a Elite Warrior. Banished to Avernum in 198 for disobeying orders.
~~~~

Heero Ashiym had been one of the highest ranking soldiers of his time. He was the best of the best. In a year or two he would have become the Emperor’s right-hand ma. They called him the “Perfect Soldier,” and that was exactly what he was. Cold and emotion less, thought to be incapable of love or any kind of feeling, the only person who he even spoke to was his long tie partner, Squall Leonhart.


~~Squall Leonhart

Name: Leonhart, Squall

D.O.B: Reign of The Empire 182

Age: 17

Birthplace: Krisan

Class: Type A Soldier

Notes: A Great Renown and a Elite Warrior. Banished to Avernum in 198 for disobeying orders.

Squall Leonhart , like his partner, was a high ranking soldier who was surpassed by very few. He may not have been as cold as his partner, Heero, but he was pretty close. He was known as the soldier with no past. Never seen without his trusty, one of a kind weapon, a gun blade, for every act of violence and destruction that was caused by his partner, he was there.

They had shown up in Avernum, looking severely beaten. Questions and rumors had arose, why would such high ranking officers be in exile? Even without their army uniforms, or great weapons, or high ranking badges, they would always be seen as soldiers of the Empire.

~~~~~~~~At The Inn~~~~~~


“Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!”

Ranma knocked the back of his head repeatedly against the wall behind the bed. He’d come back to the inn about an hour after the bar incident, expecting Usagi to be there, but she wasn’t. In fact, a long time had passed and she still hadn’t come back.

He’d gone back to the tavern, checked all the shops he could thing of, and asked anyone he could if they’d seen her. The few people who even bothered to answer all said he had jus missed her I f something had happened to her…..It would be all his fault!!

Ranma sighed and laid down on the bed, his head starting to throb. He let his eyes slide shut. He knew he could be a a little….foolish at time, but he just couldn’t help it. He had a habit for sticking his foot in his mouth and then some. He did a lot of thing hat often got him I trouble. In fact, that was how he first met Usagi…

{Ranma’s Flashback}

“You pervert!”

“Get away from us?”

“Yeah! Don’t make me call my boy friend!”

Ranma barely ducked the ladies swing and stumbled away from them.

“H-Hey! I didn’t mean it like that!”

The ladies obviously didn’t hear him [or didn’t care] because they kept on swinging. Ranma dodged a few more blows before bending his knees and jumping over the girls and onto the high brick wall behind them. They shouted more thing at him [not very lady like things] and stalked off. Ranma sighed in relief and jumped to the ground on the other side of the wall…..and right on top of a innocent passerby.

“Uffff!! So mak!!”{1}

“Oh, crap!!”

Ranma jumped off his victim. “Sorry, mom! I didn’t see y--” He sopped mid-sentence and his eyes grew wide.

The girl he had crached on top of hadn’t gotten up yet. In fact, she was clutching her leg in pain, tears leaking down her pale, dirty face. From beneath the worn out robes she wore there was a small puddle of blood visible. Ranma sucked in a deep breathe. “A-Are you o.k?” He knelt down besde the girl.

“E-Ed rindc! Ufff! Sygaed cutup!” The girl finished her sentence with a wail, fresh tears springing out her, now that Ranma looked, beautiful e blue eyes.

Ranma bit his lip. He may not have been able to understand her langueage, but pain was a universal communication. “Don’t worry. I’ll get you help.”
For just a momen the girls eyes, which ahd been clenched shut, glanced at him. In a painful whisper she asked, “N-Nyammo>“
Unsure of what she had said, he only smiled worriedly and replied,” And I’ll get that nice robe of yours fixed up too.” As gently and slowly as he could, he slid his arms under the girl and picked her up princess style. She let out cries of pain the whole way to the nearest healer, and she muffled her sobs in Ranma’s chest.

{End Ranma’s flashback}

IF Ranma remembered correctly, the weight of him landing on top of her had broken her leg. Sent on of her gone right though her knee. For weeks after that accident her had taken it upon himself to take care of her, and help her with her English. It hadn’t even the best start for a relationship, but it had been a start.

{With Usagi and Sakura}











Sakura too blushed, and she glanced down at the tablecloth beneath her. Her fingers traced the strange patterns on it. “Usagi-san?…..”

Usagi tilted her head to the side.: Yeah?”

Sakura leaned forward on the table again,” What were you doing all the way in that old part of the fort?’ The sad look in Usagi’s eyes made her regret asking. “I mean, you don’t have to tell me, if you don’t want to…”
Usagi shook her head,” Don’t be so shy, Saku-chan! You can ask whatever you want! It was stupid anyway…..” She sighed,” I had an little dispute with Ranma, it wasn’t even a full out argument…..But we’ve been having a lot lately…Even back on the surface….Like we’re falling apart…”
Sakura reached and took Usagi’s hand in her own,” Don’t worry, Usagi-san. I’m sure everything will be fine. “
Usagi nodded,” You’re probably right, Saku-chan. I’m sure I’m just worry over nothing….Teenage hormones, right?” She got a grin in response. “But…What were you doing out there?”
Sakura drew back. “Oh, me?…..I was….,” her eyes got a far away look, like an old woman’s did when she recalled her past,” Looking for someone.”
Despite the large population in Avernum, most people did not survive. Many were sent down, and killed the second they stepped out of the Fort. Some were killed in the Fort. Some didn’t survive the transportation, while some just couldn’t handle being sent down, and committed suicide. The chance of actually finding some who was sent down before you was very, very slim.
There was silence at the table. What could you say to someone who was living off false hopes? Reassuring them would be like lying, and anything else would shatter their dreams.
Usagi fidgeted, and felt guilty. It had been stupid of her to ask. Unlike Sakura, she didn’t know anyone in Avernum. Everyone she knew was dead. In the back of her mind she wondered who was luckier, her or Sakura.
“He was one of my partners.” Usagi glanced up. Sakura was staring down at her hand, which were clutching the tablecloth.
“We were the infamous “Terrible Trio”. Me, Sasuke, and Naruto….”Were” being the keyword”
The atmosphere at the table had been happy at first, but Usagi could already tell this would end in tears. She’d heard enough sad stories in her life to know how they began. Part of her wanted to yell and Sakura to stop, to shut the hell up before she said to much, but another part of her knew that if you kept things bottled up, they only led to messes.
“Sasuke was our unofficial leader, and I have to admit, I really, really liked. He was the whole reason I joined the rebel group,” Usagi’s ears perked up,” But after a while a didn’t just do it for him, I did it for the people who didn’t have homes because of the Empire, or families, or food, or anybody to love.”
Rebels were those who had enough courage to actually make a living going against the Empire. Setting traps and attacking small portions of the army was what they lived for . They did what everyone on the surfaced wanted to do but wasn’t brave enough. They were “The Resistance”. Hard to imagine a small girl like Sakura was one of them.
“And Naruto…He’d been cheated out of happiness by the Empire since the day he was born. They killed his family, his friends, his entire VILLAGE, just because he had a power they didn’t want around.” Sakura’s hands began to shake in anger and sorrow for her teammate. “ Just because he was a little different, they murdered his dreams…..He and Sasuke had been together long before I came along. They both wanted nothing more than to make sure noone else had to go through what they went through.”
Sakura’s eyes had brimmed with tears, but when Usagi reached for her, she shook her head,” No. I want to tell their story.”
“We had been together for 2 years, since I was 11. It was supposed to be a easy mission, easier than normal. We should have known something was going on, ”Sakura sniffed sadly,” They were waiting for us. At least a hundred of them. They didn’t even give us time to react.”
Usagi bowed her head. She’d heard many stories with this situation….They had all ended tragically.
“Sasuke had always been so strong…..I thought, if we were ever going to be taken down, he would be the last. I never would have imagined he’d be the first to go.,” She looked out the café window, and into the distant darkness that was exile,” Right his chest, where his heart would have been. It was instant.”

There was silence for a moment, and Usagi almost thought that was the end, but Sakura continued,” We had never lost a battle before, and we had never ran away before….If Sasuke had been alive, he would have been ashamed to see what cowards his teammates had become…..But we had no choice.”, her voice was bitter,” I made it. I got away. But I was alone. They had gotten Naruto, captured him and taken him away from me! It wasn’t fair, but I knew they would send him down here….So I after a few months, I let them catch me to.”
Usagi glanced at her. It was foolish and stupid, coming down willing. But there’s not much you can do, when you’re the one left behind.
“I should have let them take me on that same day…..But I wasn’t thinking. I wanted Sasuke-kun to have a proper burial, next to his family. I wanted everybody to know that Naruto had been sent to exile because he cared for them! I wanted them to be recognized….”
And that was the end. She was looking her teammate, her only teammate left. Once again, Usagi was at a loss for words. She couldn’t tell Sakura that Naruto was writhing reach, because the odds were against her. She couldn’t tell Sakura that everything would be alright, because they probably wouldn’t be. So, she let Sakura cry. She knew from experience that sometimes crying was the only thing you could do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Heero and Squall~~~~~~

“……………..”

“…………….”

The waitress nervously glanced between the two men. She’d asked them their order, and what did they do? Just stare at her. She really didn’t get paid enough for this.

“Excuse me, sirs, I don’t mean to be rude…But there are other costumers I need to attend to.”

“You have good language skills for a exile.”

She blinked,” Ummm….Thanks?”

“You were a school teacher. Grade 5.”

She stared at the brunette with the icy blue eyes. How the hell did he know that? The other brunette, with the dark, Persian eyes, just watched them.

“I….Uh….”

“And your name’s Bridget. Bridget Valentine.”{2}

Bridget’s mouth fell open, and then she snapped it shut. Now she recognized them. Soldiers, the same ones who got her sent down. Her eyes narrowed in a glare.

“Well, Ms.Valentine, we’d like a mug of Holly ale and a platter of lizard hunches.”

For a second she didn’t move. Then slowly she turned to go give the order to the chef. She might not like them, but she wasn’t going to lose her job for them. After all, they’d already taken enough for her.
After she had walked away, Heero glanced at his partner and asked in a low voice,” Why do you do that? She might now have even recognized us.”
Squall sighed, “ We deserve to be hated. We deserve to be despised for all the pain we caused. There shouldn’t be an escape for us.”

Heero shook his head and looked down again. Squall was so self-hating, and he refused to let go of the past. Heero had tried to tell him that they couldn’t change what they had done, that it had already been done. But Squall was a stubborn one.
They sat in silence, as they usually did, until the “Ms.Valentine” came back. She practically slammed the mug and platter down before stalking off. Was she even going to charge them?
Heero reached for the ale, and Squall grabbed a lizard hunch. Fort Arys had the best food in exile, which was why they had stopped here. They had planned on going back to Fort Avernum for awhile, but they figured a little rest never hurt anyone. Besides, it wasn’t like they had anywhere else to go.


They munched silence, until it happened. They both reached for the plate at the same time. Instantly, the both withdrew. Normally, they would have just ignored it….But lately, things had gotten awkward. Squall had made it obvious he liked Heero in a love kind of way. Heero though, hadn’t been so clear with his feelings.
They looked at each other for a moment, and then Squall nodded. Heero reached and got a lizard hunch. Once he had withdrew, Squall reached for one as well. This couldn’t go on, they both knew, but now just wasn’t the time for that type of conversation. After one last longing glance in Heero’s direction, Squall looked back down at the map in front of him. He’d get Heero one of these days…..He knew it.


~~~~~At The Inn~~~~~~

“WHAT?!!!”

Ranma’s furious glare forced Usagi a step beck.

“I was here worrying the crap out of myself, and you were at a café with HER?!!”

Usagi scowled at him,” Shut up, Ranma! You don’t even know what happened!”

Ranma glanced at the small girl next to Usagi. In truth, he wasn’t really mad. He was jealous. There she was, having just met Usagi, and she was already wearing Usagi’s most treasured possession. And Usagi had spent most of the day with her, while he was stuck alone. It just wasn’t right.

“Whatever. Look, we’re not taking her with us. We don’t need….extra baggage.”

Usagi’s eyes narrowed. She looked back at Sakura. Her head was bowed and her hand clasped in front of her. There was no way she was just going to leave her behind.

“Either she goes with us, or I’ll go with her alone.”

Ranma’s eyes widened, and Sakura’s head snapped up. “U-Usagi-san….---” Usagi shook her head. “No Saku-chan, I’m not leaving you behind.” She turned back to Ranma.

“So, what’ll it be?”

It was a hard blow. Ranma had known her since they were 10 years old. That was five years. Five years of friendship, and pain, and sorrow, and joy…..And she was giving away for one girl?

“Fine. She can go. But she better now get in my way.”

Usagi nodded and turned. She smiled at Sakura,” Come on, Saku-chan! We’ll get you my old clothes so you don’t have to wear my dirty, old robe!”

They disappeared into the small dressing room in the corner of the room. Ranma stared at the spot Usagi had been.
Tears prickled at his eyes and he blinked them away. She must have been joking…..She wouldn’t really have left, right?…..Ranma had to mean more to her than that, didn’t he?……

~~~~~~~In The Dressing Room~~~~~~~

“Mmmmm….Lets see….”

Sakura stood against the wall in the small cramped dressing room. Usagi was fishing though a small bag, looking through the supplies for her old clothes. She wasn’t sure what was going on, but after the incident in the other room, she felt like she was intruding.
“Usagi-san?”

“Usagi-CHAN. Call me Usagi-chan.”

‘Right. Umm, Usagi-chan, why did you do that.”

“Do what?”, Usagi glanced up from the bag.

“Back in there. Why did you do that?”

Usagi pulled out her old clothes and sighed.” You don’t understand, Saku-chan. I wouldn’t have really left you know, and I know he wouldn’t have let me. He always does that kind of thing to me. Act like a child and say he’ll leave. I just gave him a piece of his own medicine….He’ll figure it out. “, she grinned,” Besides, I think he looked a little jealous, didn’t you?”

Sakura shook her head, “I didn’t notice.”

“I know what he looks like when he’s jealous, and that’s what he looked like in there. But forget that, put this on so I can make sure it fits/” She handed Sakura the outfit and turned around.

It was difficult to change in such a small space, but it was doe eventually. Usagi looked Sakura over.
The blue skirt went just a past Sakura’s knees, and the white collared shirt was just a little to loose. Usagi reached into the inside of the robe she had gotten back and unhooked some safety pins. Sakura tensed a little as Usagi pinned the shirt, but then relaxed. There was a moment of silence as Usagi continued to look at Sakura’s new get-up.

“Do I look o.k.?”

Usagi laughed, ”O.k.? You look great! Come on, we better go talk with Ranma, we’re heading out tomorrow.”

“Out? Where are we going?”

“Fort Arys. They have good food. We might also complete a few….missions along the way.”

Sakura didn’t hear the last part. She was mumbling to herself,” He always was a pig….”

Usagi gave her a sympathetic look.

~~~~~~~~~The next day~~~~~~~

Ranma grumbled under his breathe. His back hurt from sleeping on the floor, he knew he wasn’t going to get breakfast, and the girls were taking FOREVER.
Ranma snorted,” How long can it take them? They only have one set of clothes!”
“You’re just jealous, Ran-kun, cause you could never be as pretty as us!”
Giggling followed.

Ranma whirled around and glared at the girls in front of him. They looked….Exactly the same. Usagi wore the same long skirt and shirt, and Sakura wore Usagi’s old outfit just like yesterday. He could feel his eye twitch.

“Are you o.k.? You’re twitching…”

Ranma focused his glare on Sakura,” I’m fine! Mind your own damn business. Lets go!” He turned and began walking away.

Usagi and Sakura exchanged looks. “Don’t let it upset you, Saku-chan. I told you he was just jealous.” Sakura nodded.

They began walking a few feet behind Ranma when Usagi shifted her bag, ”Hey Saku-chan.”
Sakura looked up at her.
Usagi grinned,” Last one to the exit’s a rotten Moo-Moo egg.”

And they were off, leaving a disgruntled Ranma laying on the floor where he had been knocked down.

~~~~~~~~~Somewhere~~~~

“You wish them defeated, Master?”

“Yeesssss…..My ssssisssster has sssseeen them in her mirror….Ssssshhheee thinkssss I do not know…..I will get them before her…..”

The general nodded and turned to his minions, “You heard the boss, GO!!”

At least 50 deformed minions of evil scattered and headed out to find their prey. This doesn’t look good, does it?

~~~~~~Somewhere Else~~~~

His pale hands set the cards carefully in front of him.
~~~
Ace of Sword.

The Hierophant.

The Magician . He was surprised to have flipped his own card.

The High Priestess

The Star

Three of Swords

Seven of Vessels

Nine of Staves

Page of Swords~~~

His hands stopped. Noting was making sense…..It was like the cards were telling of more than one person….

“Landlord!!”

He winced at the yell that resounded in his head. “Yes, yami?”

“We need to go, now Hikari.”

He gathered his cards.” Of course, Yami.”

Ryou stood and dusted his clothes off. His robe was filthy, and in desperate need of a cleaning…

“At the next fort, Hikari. You can clean it at Fort Arys.”

And he responded as usual. “Whatever you say, Yami.”

And he walked on, ignoring the his yam’s sighs ringing through his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{1} If anyone can guess what language she speaks, I’ll write a fanfic for you of whatever you want.

{2} I named her after my friend Bridget..

In the next chapter, they all meet!! I hope that was longer than usual….Was it?
Also, what should I be writing this on? WordPad, Notepad, Microsoft Word?
And just to let you know, my tarot cards aren’t very good. And since I could only remember some of the meaning for the cards, I just picked a few random names….But some of the cards kinda match the characters. Take The Hierophant card for example: I’m pretty sure it basically means seeking social approval. {shrug}
And I introduced another new character…..Ryou Bakura, from Yu-Gi-Oh, as well as his Yami Bakura. I’m not making Bakura all evil and stuff though….He’s gonna be in the middle.
Thank you, all my wonderful reviewers!!! Would you like posters?

Sere~~~I don’t really like Sakura all that much either, but I can’t do Hinata’s character at ALL. She’s to shy. And I have Shonen Jump to, all fourteen issues out so far. I also have volume one of the DVDs and two and three are on their way. And I hated that part on the bridge too, it made me and my friend pissed. And just for you, I changed the plot so Naruto would fit in. {Hands Sere Naruto posters}

Yu~~~Thankies!!! I’m glad you enjoy it!! {Hands Yu posters of her favorite anime}

Himeno Midori~~~ I’m glad you liked it!! I think I’m going with your idea for one of them being in denial. It was a good idea!! Thanks for reviewing, Midi-chan!! It means lots! {gives Midi-chan a bunch of posters for whatever she wants}

Please review!! And keep in mind, I need beta reader desperately!