Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Secret Is Out ❯ Ami's Crisis ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Secret is Out

Chapter Four: Ami's Crisis


The Mizuno's residence:

Dr. Mizuno had been running late when the phone rang. She let out a sigh of frustration as she answered it, attempting to put on her stockings as she did.

"Hello Mizuno's residence how can I help you?" She asked as she looked through her purse making sure she had her keys.

"Hello is this Dr. Mizuno? Ami's Mother." The voice on the other side asked.

"Yes it is, can I help you?" she asked looking up at the clock. She hoped to be able to leave within the next few minutes.

"Oh good. I'm glad I caught you before you left for work. My name is Ikuko Tsukino, our daughters are friends." The voice identified herself as.

"I'm sorry but Ami is getting ready for school right now, but if you need to talk to her I can go get her for you." She said wondering how long this was going to take; she did not have time for her daughter's friends or their parents.

"The truth is Dr. Mizuno I am calling to speak with you." The friendly voice replied.

"Tsukino-San, I would love to stay and talk, but unless this an emergency I need to leave for work."

"Actually, It is very important I'm afraid. I am calling about your daughter, and I think you should take a few minutes to hear what I have to say. After all if you are already late, what are few more minutes?" Ikuko asked her tone changing from friendly to determine. She was not going to be put off from this talk.

"Very well Tsukino-San, I will give you five minutes." She sighed as she settled down, an eye on the clock.

"What do you know about the Sailor Senshi, Doctor?" Ikuko asked

It was the last thing she expected to be asked. `If this has to do with the incident last month---`

"What? Do you mean to tell me that your keeping from work to talk about those girls in short skirts? I thought you said you wanted to talk about Ami." She asked in a loud voice, upset at being kept from leaving.

"If you would just calm down and listen to me for just two seconds, I would tell you. In fact if you had paid more attention to your daughter, you would know what I'm talking about. So far it seems to me that your work is more important then her well being." Ikuko all but shouted into the phone, getting upset herself with this woman.

"Wait one minute. What does Ami have to do with the Sailor Senshi? She has never mentioned anything about them. And for your information I happen to love my daughter very much." She said, getting just as upset as the woman on the phone.

Ikuko put her head into her hands. `I need to work on my diplomatic skills. Baka. You have to earn this lady's trust back.'


"I'm sure you do, Mizuno-San. I didn't mean to imply that you don't. It's just sometimes we can be blind to the changes in our children's lives, thinking that it is just a natural part of growing up. Please be patient. I can explain everything. But it will be difficult." Ikuko soothed, not wanting to argue with her.

The gibe had hit her where she was most vulnerable. It was possible that she over reacted. She inhaled a calming breath and replied.

"All right, all right I'll listen. We both may have started off on the wrong foot. It's just been hard since her father passed away. I guess I haven't been the best of Mothers. I kind of threw myself into my work. But I never had to worry about Ami; she is so intelligent and levelheaded. She can take care of herself in most instances. And has my cell phone number if she needs to get in touch with me."

Miaka was confused as to why she had told a woman that she had never met so much about herself and family. There was something in the voice. That was calm and tranquil that drew her in, capturing her trust.

"I am so sorry Mizuno-San, I did not know about your husband. It must be difficult to raise a child on your own. Please, lets start over. And my name is Ikuko." She said.

"Thank you Ikuko, and please call me Miaka. Now please tell me what you needed to tell me about my daughter. I can't believe she has anything to do those girls."

Miaka frowned when she heard a giggle on the other end of the phone line.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but you see your daughter is one of the Senshi. Sailor Mercury."

"Excuse me?"

`Ok. This woman has lost it. Now how am I to handle this.'

"Ikuko---"

A slight laugh from the other end did nothing to convince her of the woman's sanity.

"I know this sounds absurd, but hear me out."

"My daughter looks nothing like Mercury. I have seen the girl. And the pictures."

"Miaka, please just answer some questions for me. What color is Mercury's hair?"

"Blue, but---"

"Like Ami's?"

"Well, yes."

"And how tall would you say she was?"

"About Ami's height. Four-Eleven."

"Eyes?"

"The same shade of blue as Ami's."

Her voice had reduced to a whisper; her head leaned back against the wall for support.

"When you saw Mercury, did she remind you of anyone?"

Miaka shook her head in denial. But she still remembered the tug on her heart as she glimpsed the girl.

"Kami. How could I have missed that?"

"Don't blame yourself Miaka. We only found out ourselves last week. And only because I caught her sneaking back into her room."

Anger flared in Miaka.

"And you're just now telling me?"

Ikuko tried to maintain her tempter. She knew that Miaka was still in shock, but that was uncalled for.

"No, we just found out last night that none of the families knew the truth. That's what this phone call is for. To set up a meeting today for all the families and girls to meet."

Flustered at her own rudeness, Miaka apologized.

"Gomen Ikuko. This is just a lot to take in, and I'm not handling it as well as I'd like."

The giggle was unexpected.

"Believe me, I know. The plan is to meet at my home at ten this morning."

She nodded her head as she answered.

"Yes. Yes we will both be there. And Ikuko. Thank you."

"My pleasure. I'll see you then. I have a few more calls to make."

Miaka hung up the phone, not envying Ikuko her task. She just sat there for fifteen minutes, trying to regain her composure.

`Ami is Sailor Mercury. It's still hard to believe. But the glimpse of her I caught when Jupiter had been brought in. The look Mercury had given me.'

She had been haunted by it ever since. Now she knew why.

She picked the phone up and dialed the hospital.

"Hi Hikaru, its Miaka I'm need you to let you know that I won't be coming in today or the rest of this week. No nothing is wrong I just have some personal matters to work out. Thanks Hikaru and can you let Reika know this and see if she can cover for me. If she can tell her I owe her one. Great let her know that she can call me if there is an emergency, ok? Thanks Hikaru. Bye."

Miaka then called the school to inform them that Ami would not be coming in for the next few days. The secretary seemed to go into shock at that.

As she looked at the clock, she noticed that her daughter was running well late. She would not have made it to school in time, even if she left right now. Senshi or not.

She made her way to her room and knocked on the door lightly. When she received no response, she let herself in.

There was her daughter asleep at her desk, her head resting on her schoolbooks. As she gazed at her, Miaka realized that she had been ignoring the one person she loved more than anything.

All the late nights at work saving peoples lives, and never knowing that her daughter was doing the same. She was grateful that Ikuko had called to tell her. If she had not called, she would never have known about the dangers.

Pushing the hair from her daughter's face Miaka wondered how many times she had come in hurt from a fight. She felt the tears enter into her eyes. She had lost her husband due to a drunk driver. Now she realized that she could have lost her little girl as well. And she would have been in the dark as to why.

All that was going to change, starting right now. She had too much to learn about her daughter, and she was going to make the time for her. Work was going to come second she vowed.

"Ami honey. Wake up dear." She said trying to wake her up. Ami stirred slightly, but did not really want to wake up.

"Come on baby, time to wake up." She said as she kissed her daughter's cheek. She smiled remembering that this was how she would wake her up for school when she was younger.

Ami opened her eyes and smiled as she saw her Mother standing before her. A quick glance at her clock horrified her as she realized how late it was. And that her Mother had yet to leave for work either.

"Mom, are you ok?" Ami asked not use to seeing her Mother still at home at this time. She wasn't sure what was going on, but she knew was about to have her first detention with Usagi.

"I'm fine Ami, but I think we need to have a long talk young lady." she said stood up and pulled Ami with her. Miaka led her daughter over to her bed and sat down with her.

"First of all Ami, I just wanted to say that I am sorry for not being here for you. You mean the world to me, and I have been so caught up in my own life I've neglected you." She said not able to look her daughter in the eye.

"Mom its ok, I know you love me. I also know that it's been hard since daddy died. I have never blamed you for anything." Ami said giving her mom a hug.

"Oh, Ami, I'm so sorry. I should have been there for you after he died. I know you must have been hurting. Instead I acted like I was the only one in pain, and I shut you out. I promise you though that will all change. Starting today. I'm taking a week off from work and you are taking the week off from school." Miaka laughed at her daughter's face from the last bit of information.

"B…b...b...but what about your job and I can't miss that much of school." Ami stuttered not knowing how to take her mom's sudden change.

"Ami from now on you come first. I mean Reika can take care of any problems that arise, and if the hospital can't deal with it, tough. I can always open my own practice. As for school, knowing you my little genius, I bet you are at least sixteen chapters ahead of the rest of your classmates."

Suddenly for the first time in years, Miaka felt free. The idea of getting to know her daughter again felt exciting. Where the thought of opening her own practice came from she didn't know, but it started her thinking that maybe that would be the best thing.

"Actually I'm twenty chapters ahead." Ami blushed, looking at her Mother and noticing the change in her. She did look happy and excited for the first time in a long time.

"There you see, a week off will do us both good." Miaka said as she hugged her daughter

"Mom are you really thinking about opening your own practice?"

"You know what, I am. That way I could make my own hours and have more time for you. Also once you become a doctor you could join me. We could work together. I think it could be fun."

Miaka saw her daughter light up with the delight. She sent a small thanks to Ikuko for opening her eyes and giving back her daughter. She was not about to loose her again.

"Now before I forget, I have something very important to discuss with you young lady. Can you please explain to me why you wear that short skirt to fight in?" Miaka teased.

Ami stared at her Mother, trying to understand what she was asking.

"Wh…what do you mean mom?"

"I mean Sailor Mercury, why do you wear those short skirts, and for that matter why didn't you tell me."

The only answer Miaka received was the 'thud' as her daughter fainted.

"Oh, dear." she said as bent down to tend to her daughter.