Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A Big Help ❯ Ranma's Amazon Pusuer ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Big Help
A Ranma one half/Sailor Moon crossover fanfic
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Mykon and Jora are my original creations so I request that nobody uses them without permission. The rest of these characters are the property of their creators, publishers, anime production companies, etc. I write this for fun and make no profit off it.
 
Chapter 7
Ranma's Amazon Pursuer
 
Akane and Ranma had cut their usual morning training short so they could leave for school early. It was not a love of learning that motivated them this time, but the desire to help out a friend.
 
Ryoga stood with them just outside of the gate of the Tendo dojo. He looked at the piece of paper in his hand. On this was written a turn-by-turn set of directions on how to get from the Tendo home to Furinkan High School. He'd tried something like this before and it hadn't worked then, and didn't expect it to work this time either.
 
He voiced his protest and Ranma explained, “Besides trying the directions we want to watch you. I'll walk ahead of you and Akane will walk behind.”
 
As they started Ryoga glanced to the side. Ranma was ahead but on the other side of the street so it was harder to follow him. Besides that wasn't the purpose of today's exercise. He was to try to get to the school using only the written directions. He wished it was Akane who was walking ahead. She was nicer to look at that Ranma.
 
He suddenly felt jarred when he heard Ranma call his name. The pigtailed boy asked, “Where are you going? The section of the route we are on is straight. Why were you turning?”
 
Ryoga looked around and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. “I don't know, my mind wandered.”
 
Ranma nodded as if this was something he had expected. He pointed, “See that blue house there where the street divides?”
 
Ryoga nodded. He was told, “Orient on that house. Go toward it until you reach it and that is where we turn next.”
 
They started out again and this time Ryoga tried to stay oriented on the blue house. Tried and failed. Again his mind wandered and again his feet began to veer off course.
 
Ranma called a halt and explained, “I was afraid it would be something like this. With most people once they have been to a place they can go there again with no problem. They can chat with friends, review homework in their heads or do other stuff while they walk. Their sense of direction keeps them going the right way.”
 
“I think that Ryoga either doesn't have a sense of direction or else has a bad one. When your mind wanders, so do you. I have an idea.”
 
Ranma stood in front of the boy with the bandanna. “Since you are a martial artist I'm pretty sure you know how to focus. I want to focus your mind like you would getting ready for a life or death battle. The difference is that this time the streets are your enemy. If you fail to get to your destination the streets win.”
 
On the face of it that sounded silly. But maybe it was worth a try. He stood with fists clenched at his sides and closed his eyes. He steadied his breathing and found his center. With that effort he was able to achieve the kind of focus he normally only found in a serious fight.
 
He opened his eyes and oriented on the blue house. He kept his gaze on that one structure while remaining alert for possible attacks or cars. When he reached the blue house the elation he felt threatened to break his focus. He clamped down on it fiercely.
 
Still staying focused, Ryoga looked down at the paper in his hand and saw he was to turn right and go on for two blocks before turning to the left. He continued on with Ranma and Akane following. Their early start helped to insure they avoided the ladle lady.
 
When they reached the gates of the school Ryoga stopped and just stared. He was startled out of his intense focus when Ranma clapped him on the back. “You did it, buddy!”
 
He was stunned. “I did do it, didn't I?” He did a little dance that had some other students looking at him funny.
 
“Well, now that we know it's possible to do once it means you can do it again. Come on, let's get you registered.” Ranma had an expression of satisfaction on his face.
 
“Register?”
 
“Of course. You've missed a lot of school wandering around all over the place. You'll have a lot of make-up work to do.”
 
“Uh. I guess that's a good idea.” He didn't sound too sure.
 
Ranma went on in a businesslike tone. “We're here early so Kuno hasn't arrived yet. He's this crazy upperclassman who's infatuated with Akane and my girl side. Since your girl side is pretty, there's a good chance he'll go after you too if he finds out. The guy is crazy in that he refuses believe my girl side and I are the same person. He thinks my guy side uses magic to enslave my girl side.”
 
“Has he seen you change?”
 
“Oh, yeah. He said I'm using evil magic”
 
“Ok, I'll watch out for him.”
 
“I had trouble with a pervert named Yamada in gym class. He hit me with ice-cold water from a water gun when I was in the locker room after gym. I smacked him down pretty good, so I don't think he'll try that with me again, but maybe he'll think he'd have better luck with you.”
 
“Ok, I'll watch out for him too.”
 
“Just in general there's this bunch of perverted guys who want to get a wet T-shirt view of a girl's chest. They throw water balloons. I'll never understand why think it's Ok to do that to me but they won't try it on any of the full-time girls.” He thought to himself, “Maybe the other girls would gang up on them.”
 
“Got it.”
 
“After school I'll lead you to your house. Now we know a way you can get where you need to you don't have to stay with the Tendos anymore.
 
A day later, in an ice cream shop near to Furinkan high three girls sat enjoying their treats. One of the girls wore a Furinkan uniform while both of the other girls wore more unisex looking outfits. One of them had hair a flaming shade of red while the other had black hair and wore a bandanna of yellow with black spots.
 
Ranma-chan was digging into a huge sundae she had gotten at a discount but wasn't just wolfing it down. She would act like a human vacuum cleaner for a while but would occasionally stop and just let the frozen treat melt in her mouth along with the toppings. The expression on her face was one of almost pure bliss.
 
Ryoga-chan was not much different. She was eating in a more businesslike fashion but gave every indication of savoring every mouthful.
 
Akane commented, “To look at the two of you one would think you've never eaten ice cream before.”
 
Ranma-chan explained, “I've had it before, but not often. Pops hardly ever wanted to spend money on it. I think I've had ice cream no more than twice a year before coming to stay with your family. For sure it was at your house that I first saw that you could actually take ice cream home and keep it there.”
 
Ryoga told Akane, “I've had ice cream more often than that but not much more. When I got lost I often had to depend on charity to get a meal as I didn't often have money to buy treats.”
 
The youngest Tendo sister nodded. “Ok, I get that part. What I don't understand is why you had to be girls to eat ice cream.”
 
Ranma-chan grinned widely. “If I'm going to be cursed to change into a cute girl, I'm going get some benefit out of it”
 
Akane frowned. “What kind of benefit?”
 
“You didn't notice? A cute pose, a big smile and a few words in a cute tone of voice and the server will often be willing to let me have my food for free or at a discount.”
 
Ryoga chimed in, “I've watched her work. She's shameless. I have to confess I've tried it myself and it does work. I don't seem to do as well as she does but she has the act down better than I do. I think being short and redheaded also increases the whole cuteness factor.”
 
Ranma shrugged, “I guess people think a cute little girl is more adorable than a cute bigger girl. I'm not making people think that way, I'm just taking advantage of it.”
 
Akane rolled her eyes. “No real girl with any self respect would resort to tactics like that.”
 
Ranma and Ryoga exchanged a look. Ranma asked, “What's your point?”
 
Akane scoffed. Then she looked at Ranma again and noticed she seemed to be looking off to the side and listening to something.
 
Ryoga also noticed and commented, “She's gone again.”
 
“She promised to explain someday what she's listening to,” pointed out Akane.
 
Ranma suddenly stood up and said, “I gotta go! It's not safe for me to be here right now.” She looked frantically around then her eyes settled on the wall opposite the booth where she had been sitting with her friends.
 
“Oh, no! No time.” Suddenly she vanished before the startled eyes of her companions.
 
At nearly the same moment the wall Ranma had been looking at exploded inward sending bits of debris flying. Both Akane and Ryoga were annoyed when some of the debris landed in their sundaes.
 
In the hole created by the explosion stood a teenaged girl in some kind of Chinese silk pant-suit in a pale lavender color. The color of the outfit went well with the girl's hair which was a darker shade of purple. The girl had ornaments in her hair and the style of the hair included odango on either side.
 
In her hands the girl was holding some kind of weapons. They looked like colorful balls about the size of beach balls on wooden handles. There seemed to be ribbons tied to the handles at the point where they attached to the ball-like weapons. In truth the weapons looked ludicrous but, since the girl had just used them to destroy a piece of the wall, they were likely formidable weapons even if they didn't look like it.
 
“Aiyah! Girl Ranma, I kill!” The girl shouted. She continued to stand there in a dramatic pose until she noticed that nothing was happening other than people staring at her.
 
The purple haired girl stepped through the hole in the wall and looked around. There was no sign of a red haired girl and that color of hair was hard to miss.
 
She spotted two black haired girls in a booth opposite where she had crashed through the wall. The purpled haired girl stomped up to the table and thickly accented Japanese said, “You girls see red haired girl this big?” She held out one of her weapons so that the bottom of the ball was about the same height as Ranma.
 
Akane and Ryoga exchanged a look. Akane said, “She was just here but she left.”
 
“Aghh! Again she get away. How she always do that?”
 
In frustration the Chinese girl slammed one of her weapons down on a vacant table, reducing it to crumbled fragments. With that she stalked out the hole she had created.
 
Akane waited until the girl was out of sight and called, “She's gone now.”
 
The youngest Tendo let out a small “eep” as Ranma appeared. She looked she had been clinging to the ceiling and just dropped back to the floor.
 
Ranma looked at her sundae with bits of plaster in it and said, “I've lost my appetite. Let's go home.”
 
Before they could go more than two steps the owner of the ice cream shop stormed out of the back and grabbed Ranma sleeve, demanding, “Was that girl a friend of yours? Somebody's going to have to pay for the damage.”
 
Yanking her arm free of the shop owners grasp, Ranma shouted, “Weren't you listening? That girl is trying to kill me. She's no friend of mine and I'm not paying for nothin' but the ice cream!” Ranma's battle aura flared to life.
 
Living in Nerima, the shop owner had heard of battle auras but had never seen one before. He backed away. “Ok, you don't have to pay. Just please, leave my shop.”
 
Grumbling as she went, Ranma and her friends left. As they walked, Akane asked, “So are you going to tell us the story about the purple haired girl?”
 
“I was hoping never to see her again. I had thought Pops and I had gotten away from her. Obviously she found me again.”
 
Ranma turned to Ryoga, “I take it you avoided the Amazons?”
 
“Not exactly.”
 
“What happened to you?”
 
The lost boy/girl said, “I only have a girl named Pomade trying to marry me. As far as I know nobody is trying to kill me.” 
 
“The invisibility is a ninja stealth trick. You don't hear of it often because it takes a lot of ki, so not many can do it. I can't maintain it for long. Luckily I don't often have to keep it up for long. As you probably noticed, Shampoo is not the most patient girl.”
 
Akane just nodded. The really weird thing was just how easily she accepted that. “Are you going to tell us the story of how she came to be chasing you?”
 
“I'll tell you.”
 
FLASHBACK
 
The newly transformed Panda and girl had calmed down. They went to the guide's hut and were told about how the curse could be temporarily reversed with hot water. They were less happy to hear the bad news. There was no known cure for the curses. A second curse would mix with the first so a dip in the Spring of Drowned Man would only make things worse.
 
The travelers were thoroughly depressed by this news and resolved they would head back to civilization the following day. However they were low on supplies and didn't relish living off the land while they traveled. The guide, being a basically helpful person, told them there was a village of Amazon Women only half a day's walk from Jusenkyo Valley.
 
The guide explained that the Amazons were not the most hospitable to travelers, but they would likely be willing to re-supply the two in exchange for a little labor. Ranma bitterly reflected on the fact that if they had to work for their food, it would be him doing the work and not his lazy father.
 
Strictly speaking, the guide wasn't supposed to leave the valley unattended, but his daughter, Plum was still there and, though young, was still capable enough to handle most visitors. Besides that few visitors ever came to the valley, so it was unlikely to be a problem.
 
The guide walked with the boy and his father because he was enjoying chatting with the boy. He found that the boy was intelligent and surprisingly well educated on many subjects. He found himself telling the boy much of the history of the valley and what he knew of the Amazons whose village they were going to. Also surprising was the fact that the boy could speak Mandarin like a native.
 
In view of the boy's language skills the guide was curious as to why they had even come to visit the valley.
 
The boy explained, “I read the brochure and all of the warnings. The panda over there wouldn't listen to them. He said it was all legends and colorful stories to impress the tourists.”
 
In Mandarin the guide said, “Please forgive me if I offend, but your father is an idiot.”
 
Ranma laughed and answered in the same language, “I'm not offended. I've known he was an idiot for a long time. I'm just sorry I wasn't more insistent. If I had refused to go into your valley or if I'd refused to jump around on the poles I wouldn't have the girl curse now. Now there's irony for you.”
 
What do you mean, young guest?”
 
When my father is trying to insult me or motivate me for training he says that I'm acting like or turning into a weak, stupid, silly girl. It is one of his worst insults he uses on me. So to avoid him calling me a girl, I get a curse that makes me turn into one.”
 
Yes, young sir, very ironic.”
 
At that point they were caught in a brief rain shower, changing Ranma into a girl. She looked up and sighed. “Some kami up there has got to be laughing his ass off right now.”
 
In Heaven the goddess who was charged with seeing to it that Ranma's destiny was fulfilled suppressed a snicker. Then in a kinder tone even though she knew Ranma couldn't hear her, “Sorry, kid. Destiny can be a real drag sometimes.”
 
Ranma directed a glare off to one side then nodded and shrugged.
 
In the distance there was a sound like cheering. As they continued Ranma thought she could detect the sounds of drums and other music.
 
The guide nodded and said, “I had hoped I remembered the day right. Amazon women are having a big tournament to find out who is the strongest of the tribe.”
 
Tournament,” thought Ranma. “This could be interesting.”
 
They were met on the path by sentries and the guide explained that the travelers were hoping simply to get supplies for their journey. Since the tournament was now taking place they would like to witness that while there.
 
One of the sentries, a blue haired woman, looked toward the village. It was clear she was annoyed at having to be on sentry duty instead of participating in the tournament. “The tournament has been going on all day. There should be a winner soon. You've missed most of it.”
 
They proceeded to the challenge area, which appeared to be a cleared space off to one side of the village. It was a bowl shaped depression with a flat space at the bottom. Ranma wasn't sure if that was naturally shaped that way or if the “arena” had been excavated. Maybe it was a little of both.
 
Two massive logs were buried partway into the dirt of the arena leaving their upper parts as pillars. Around the top of each pillar was an iron collar. To each of those collars was attached two chains which in turn were attached to a log that was suspended between the two pillars. The arrangement was such that suspended log was allowed to swing freely.
 
The sides of the bowl were covered with sparsely scattered assortment of people. The majority seemed to be women. At the rim of the bowl there was a stand for what looked like the people who were running the tournament. There was a table that was heavily laden with food and a sign was attached to the front that said, “First Prize.”
 
The sight of all that food made Ranma's stomach grumble, but she resisted the urge to go to the table and dig in. If that was the first prize it was a good bet that the winner of the tournament would object to random travelers sampling her prize without permission.
 
On the Challenge Log there was a fight taking place. Two women were fighting. One was tall with a muscular build. She had breasts to prove that she was a woman but looked very mannish otherwise. Her opponent was smaller and pretty. This was a well-built girl with purple hair. The big woman was fighting with some kind of pole arm while the purple haired girl was using two brightly colored balls on sticks.
 
While watching the fight Ranma commented to the guide, “That girl's got some serious strength.”
 
When she looked away from the fight on the log she suddenly noticed that the panda was no longer beside her. She looked around and finally spotted her father at the winner's table chowing down on the food there.
 
Ranma rushed up to the table and grabbed a handful of fur on her father's neck and pulled back. She hoped it hurt. “Pop, stop stuffing your face. You're going to get us in trouble.”
 
A female voice called out in Mandarin, “You there with the red hair, is that animal yours?”
 
It took Ranma a moment. “Oh right, she means me. I have red hair when I'm a girl.”
 
Ranma turned and bowed to the purple haired girl. “Honored champion, I apologize for my pet. I was watching your match and didn't see him go to the winner's table. Is there anything I can do to make up for the food he has taken uninvited?
 
You should not travel with the creature if you can't control him.”
 
Again, I am sorry. He will be punished for this transgression.”
 
She's polite, at least,” thought Xian Pu. The girl was flushed from her victory and probably not thinking all that clearly. Having won the final challenge of the tournament, the girl felt invincible.
 
The champion smirked and said, “You can fight me, Outsider girl.”
 
Ranma glanced down to the Challenge Log and back to the girl. Still trying to talk her way out of a fight she said, “That would hardly be fair to you. You have just fought through a tournament and are doubtless tired. Perhaps we could fight after you have rested.
 
Xian Pu was getting angry. “Are you a coward that you fear to face me?”
 
There was a stir among the spectators. Ranma's eyes narrowed. Her head cocked to the side for a moment then she asked, “What are the terms of this battle?”
 
Terms?
 
Yes, what do I get if I win?”
 
If you win?” From the contemptuous expression on the girl's face it was clear she didn't think the strange outsider girl had any chance of winning.
 
Finally she nodded her head. “If you defeat me, the tournament champion, you can take your pick of the foods on the champion's table just as if you were champion. Your pet can also eat all he can from the table. Does that satisfy you?”
 
And what if you win?”
 
You will stay here with the tribe and work until you have replaced the food your pet has eaten. Do you agree to these terms?”
 
Ranma bowed to the purple haired girl. Then she turned to the people gathered in the bowl and added ki to her voice, “People of the Joketsuzoku Amazon Tribe I ask that you bear witness. Champion of the tournament…” She paused until someone urgently stage whispered the name, “Xian Pu has challenged Saotome Ranma of the Anything Goes School of Martial arts to fight with the food on the winners table as the prize. If I win I am to choose foods from the table as if I had won the tournament. If I lose I am to work to replace the food my panda ate.”
 
The people gathered looked at each other. They weren't sure they understood why the outsider girl was making such a big deal about being so formal on the terms of the challenge. Surely it would mean she would be all that much more humiliated when she lost. Still if she wanted it this way, they would agree. All stood and bowed toward the red haired girl to signify their agreement.
 
An elderly woman stepped forward and declared, “A formal challenge match is agreed to according the terms just stated by the outsider, Saotome Ranma. I elder, Po Shun, stand as witness.
 
“'Shampoo, Potion', they have a weird way of naming people in this village,” Thought Ranma. From the general conversation she had heard around her there had been mention that Xian Pu was the great granddaughter of Kho Lon (Cologne?), the Matriarch of the tribe. (Did that mean chief elder?)
 
Ranma walked down into the bowl and stood beside the Challenge Log. When Xian Pu stood next to the log as well, Ranma bowed to her. The girl just said, “Humph,” and jumped onto the log. “Maybe she just doesn't like redheads or maybe she's rude to anyone from outside the tribe.”
 
She hopped up on the log and stood as easily as if standing on solid ground. She looked up to the reviewing stand where Po Shun stood with upraised arm. Suddenly she brought her arm down and said, “Begin!”
 
Xian Pu charged forward in a simple brute force attack, obviously intended to overpower Ranma and end the fight quickly. Ranma simply leapt completely over her opponent's head and in passing delivered the classic “boot to the head.”
 
Xian Pu was driven forward but was able to keep her balance. She quickly turned and took a moment to study her opponent. Obviously she had underestimated the outsider girl.
 
Ranma on the other hand had a pretty good idea of how strong an opponent she was facing and wasn't worried. Ending the fight quickly seemed a good idea. Ranma ignited her battle aura and with its ki to boost her speed, she blurred forward, pushed a bonborri aside and struck the purple haired girl with a powerful uppercut.
 
Xian Pu went flying off the log to land in a heap next to one of the posts the log was suspended from. At first Ranma was afraid she'd hit too hard until she saw the other girl stirring. She jumped down from the log and walked over to her fallen foe.
 
Ranma held out her hand to help the other girl to her feet. She was surprised when the Amazon girl slapped her hand aside and struggled to her feet without help. Ranma shrugged. She'd made the offer, if the other was such a poor sport to refuse it then she wouldn't care.
 
Ranma turned to the reviewing stand and looked as Po Shun shook herself out of her amazement. “Saotome Ranma of the Anything Goes School Of Martial Arts is the winner.
 
Ranma's attention was diverted when she felt a gentle hand on her chin. She turned eyes to Xian Pu who brought her face up to Ranma's and planted a kiss on her cheek. There was a buzz of conversation among the spectators and the red haired girl got the distinct impression that this action was not approved of by the members of the tribe.
 
Akane interrupted, “So you just kissed her?”
 
They had stopped at a park along the way and were sitting on a bench.
 
Ranma frowned. “I didn't kiss her. She grabbed my chin and planted a kiss on my cheek. She kissed me.”
 
Ryoga ventured, “I get the feeling there is more to it than that.”
 
“Oh there is.'
 
FLASHBACK RESUMED
 
The next thing Ranma was aware of was the Jusenkyo Guide by her side yelling. “Ahhh. When Amazon woman kiss on cheek is promise to chase to the ends of the earth and KILL! RUN!”
 
The guide grabbed Ranma's hand and began dragging her away. The panda was also running and the whole scene devolved into chaos.
 
Back in the park Ranma said, “And we did run. We ran through most of the back country of China with Shampoo following. She attacked with Bonborri or a sword or all sorts of other weapons. She was always trying to kill me.”
 
Ranma sighed. “For this one I blame the guide for panicking.”
 
“What was that whole business of the kiss anyway,” asked Akane.
 
“I'm guessing Ryoga knows at least part of this. When we were walking to the village the guide told me about the Outsider laws. They have these laws about what happens when one of their warriors fights with someone from outside the tribe. If the warrior loses to an outsider female she must give the Kiss of Death which I just told you about. If the outsider is a male they give him the Kiss of Marriage and the warrior must marry the guy and bring him into the tribe.”
 
“Why do you think I was so insistent on having the terms of the challenge spelled out in such detail and witnessed by the tribe? If we had stayed I'm pretty sure I could have talked my way out of it.”
 
“Talk your way out of it?”
 
Ranma nodded. “Think about it. I didn't attack or challenge her; she challenged me. In front of witnesses, including one of the tribal elders, she agreed to the terms of the challenge. By giving me the Kiss of Death she was breaking her word. In effect she was demonstrating that she was without honor. I could have argued to get the Kiss of Death nullified.”
 
Curious, Ryoga asked, “What would they have done if they had found out you're really a guy?”
 
Ranma gave a slight shudder. “They would probably have given me the Kiss of Marriage instead and kept me there to be the father of strong new warriors and probably the mother of a few as well. That's probably the fate you have in store for you if that girl you mentioned ever catches up with you.”
 
“Mother?” Ryoga looked ill.
 
“Probably. That seems to be the way they think.”
 
They got up from their bench and started back to the Tendo dojo. They stopped at a yattai on the way and got some hot water to change Ranma and Ryoga back to male. While they walked Ranma described some of the attempts that Shampoo had made to end his life. About the only reason Ranma was still alive was because Shampoo's code of honor wouldn't let her just sneak in to slit Ranma's throat while she slept. That code stated that the victim must see the face of her killer so that she might know why she was dying.
 
They got a surprise when they got back to the dojo. In the living room Genma in panda form was under the table and trying unsuccessfully to hide his bulk. At the same table sipping tea that the ever-gracious hostess Kasumi had served, sat Shampoo.
 
The eldest Tendo daughter explained, “It seems this young lady followed uncle Saotome home. She says she's looking for Ranma. Is she a friend of yours?”
 
The purple haired girl got up and looked Ranma over closely. There was a sort of family resemblance in the face but the hair was the wrong color even if the pigtail was the same. The eyes were blue but more grayish then the clear crystalline blue she was looking for. Plus…
 
The Chinese girl placed her hand flat on Ranma's chest. There were no breasts, just a muscular, manly chest. “Man?” The girl asked.
 
“Uh, yeah…” agreed Ranma. “What were you expecting?”
 
“But Ranma is girl,” insisted the Amazon.
 
“Well, my name is Ranma and I'm a guy.”
 
“Aiyahh! There are two Ranmas? One is girl and one is boy?”
 
Ranma shook his head. “I don't know about that.”
 
Shampoo was angry again. She pointed at Akane. “Shampoo see black hair girl in shop where girl type Ranma went before. You told Shampoo that girl type Ranma just left. Shampoo think you hide her then. Maybe you hide her now.”
 
Indignantly Akane protested, “I'm not hiding anyone! What makes you even think she would be here?”
 
“Girl type Ranma travel with panda. Shampoo follow panda to this house to see if maybe she here.”
 
In a fierce whisper Ranma demanded of the panda, “Way to go, Dad. What the hell were you thinking?”
 
The panda produced a sign that said, “I didn't know she was following.”
 
Shampoo demanded, “You tell Shampoo where you hide girl-type Ranma.” She produced her bonborri weapons and brandished them threateningly.
 
Akane replied, “I told you before I am not hiding this `girl-type Ranma'.”
 
Shampoo swung one of her weapons. “Tell!” she ordered. Akane ducked and the ball of the weapon struck the wall, gouging a shallow groove.
 
This was going too far. “We're not hiding her!” shouted Ranma as he kicked at one of the weapons. He had not expected that his kick was forceful enough to break the ball from its handle and send it flying. The Amazon girl had not expected to face resistance and froze for the time it took the ball from her bonborri to fly up into the air then come crashing down on the top of her head, knocking her out.
 
Ranma looked down at the fallen form of the Amazon girl and said, “Oh, crap! I'm in trouble now.”
 
Akane asked, “Does this mean she'd going to want to marry you now. I mean that's what you were saying about the Amazon laws.”
 
The pigtailed boy shuddered. “I don't care what her laws say. I'm not marrying someone who's been trying to kill me.”
 
It seemed that the girl was not severely injured as she began to stir. She looked around and asked, “What happen?”
 
With an angry expression, Ranma explained in Mandarin, “You attacked Akane and I defended her. You were knocked out by your own weapon.”
 
“You defeated me?”
 
I never touched you. I kicked your weapon and it broke. The ball flew off the handle and hit you on the head. Like I said, you were knocked out by your own weapon. I was not trying to fight you, just disarm you.”
 
Now in a firm tone the girl said, “You defeated me. I love you, you are my husband.”
 
She got up from the floor and started to move toward Ranma in preparation to give him the Kiss of Marriage. She was shocked when Ranma held up his open hand and commended, “Stop! I am not your husband. You don't love me. You have only just met me and don't even know me. Even if I had defeated you in battle, it takes more than that to fall in love with someone. What happened was an accident.”
 
The girl sounded uncertain now. “But you did defeat me. I must marry you.”
 
What, because Amazon law says you must marry an Outsider male who defeats you in battle? You are missing an important point here. You are not in your village, your region or even in your country. You are the Outsider here and Amazon laws don't apply. If you had caught that girl and killed her, in the eyes of Japanese law you would be guilty of the crime of murder.”
 
Now defiant the girl told him, “I take my laws with me wherever I go. I must obey them. You have defeated me in battle and I must marry you.”
 
Ranma looked grim. “I am in my homeland and protected by its laws. Even if I did fight you and win I did so to defend my home and my friends. I am under no obligation to you and would be within my rights to have you arrested and put into jail.”
 
He paused a moment then went on. “Even if I don't call the police I can't go back to your village with you as husband or anything else. I have been told by people I trust that I have a destiny to fulfill here in Japan. So powerful is that destiny that anything that you might do to try to take me with you will fail. I am staying here.”
 
Destiny? What are you talking about?”
 
I don't know the details but it involves big events that could have an effect on everyone on the earth. I have to stay here. It is here that my destiny waits for me.”
 
The purple haired girl stood uncertainly. “I… don't know what to do. I need to go and think about this.”

Shampoo turned away and started to walk out the door. Looking on, Ryoga spotted a glass of water near him and had an evil thought. Maybe it would be possible to get a few laughs out of this situation. The girl was certainly no match for Ranma so it wouldn't be putting him/her in any real danger.
 
He snatched up the glass and flung the contents on the pigtailed boy who instantly became the pigtailed girl. The girl cried out in surprise. The cry caught the attention of the departing Amazon who turned and shouted, “Girl type Ranma, I KILL!”
 
As Ranma was running out of the room, Soun came into the living room and demanded, “What is the meaning of this?”
 
Kasumi hesitantly offered, “I'm not sure, father. The girl with the purple hair came looking for Ranma. She followed uncle Saotome home. She seemed to expect Ranma to be a girl. Then she tried to attack Akane to get her to tell where girl Ranma was hiding and then Ranma kicked her weapon and broke it and knocked her out. When she woke up they spoke in Chinese and I don't know what they were saying. The girl started to leave when Ryoga splashed Ranma and turned him into a girl. The purple haired girl said she was going to kill `girl-type' Ranma and started chasing her.”
 
Soun fell to his knees in front of the table and began weeping over the damage to his home. He did manage to comment that at least with Genma and his son living at the dojo life was never dull.
 
The chase had gone to the top of the wall with Ranma running and Shampoo pursuing. She saw what she believed to be an opportunity and jumped down to the ground near a corner of the house. She charged around the corner just a little ahead of the Amazon but was out of her view long enough.
 
As soon as Ranma was out of the Amazon's line of sight, she engaged the ninja stealth trick she had used before. When Shampoo got around the corner she found she had lost sight of red haired girl. She looked all around and to the roof of the house but there was no sign of the other girl.
 
“Agh! She did it again. How she always get away from me?”
 
She leapt over the wall and was gone.
 
Ranma released her stealth cloak and went inside. She told everyone, “She's gone for now. Oh, thank you Kasumi.” The eldest Tendo Daughter handed her a kettle. Ranma poured a little on herself to change then poured some on his father.
 
Genma crawled out from under the table and said, “I didn't know she was following me.”
 
“It's Ok, Pop. I know how sneaky she can be. It's just that my problem with her just got worse. She wants to kill my girl side and marry my boy side.”
 
“So that's what all the talk in Chinese was about?”
 
“Yep. Since I beat her in a fight when I was male, she thinks she has to marry me now because of those stupid Amazon laws. It's a wonder anyone ever visits their village.”
 
Genma nodded. “If I'd known how much trouble we'd have from it I would have just have lived on what we could forage until we got to the next village. The possibility of fresh supplies was not worth the grief we got from that stop.”
 
The elder Saotome thought for a moment. “What did you finally tell her that got her to leave?”
 
“I told her about my destiny that requires me to stay in Japan. I'm not sure she completely bought it.”
 
The older martial artist shook his head, “Not that destiny garbage again. Surely you can't believe that.”
 
“Whether I believe it or not doesn't really matter. It was enough to get her to back off for a while. I'm betting she'll be back once she decides she doesn't believe in destiny.”
 
Akane asked, “What will you do then?”
 
“I don't know. I'll just have to deal with it when it happens.”
 
“Can't you just tell her about the curse?” Akane wanted to know.
 
“Do you mean she might stop trying to kill my girl side if she knows that it's the same person she wants to marry?”
 
“Something like that.”
 
“And what if she decided that means that she should kill me in either form. It was what she originally intended to do. I'm going to hold off revealing the curse to her for now. There may come a time when I'll need it.”
 
Ranma then turned to the boy with the bandanna. “I owe you a dousing. Are you trying to get me killed?”
 
“Oh please, Ranma. I could see the girl was no serious threat to you. I thought it would be good for a few laughs.”
 
“And what if you'd guessed wrong about her skill level? Besides that, fighting her would only reinforce the idea that she wants to kill me. I certainly don't want to kill her.”
 
“Ok, I'm sorry.”
 
The next day at school was fairly uneventful up until the last class before lunch. Because of the placement tests he had taken, Ranma was now in the same class as Nabiki. Scholastically he was ahead of Akane. She was in a classroom down the hall.
 
There was the sound of a crash in the distance. There was a buzz of conversation that came as a result. Had cars collided out in the street? No, that sounded like it had come from inside the building. Then another crash came and this one sounded closer.
 
Inwardly Ranma cringed. He hoped that sound wasn't what he thought it was. When the next crash sounded from then end of the hall, he closed his eyes and hung his head. Finally with the loudest crash of all, the wall that separated the classroom from the hall exploded inward and a perky Chinese girl called, “Nihao, Ranma!”
 
In one hand the girl was holding a bonborri weapon and the other she carried a large covered platter or tray. The girl called out, “Shampoo bring airen too, too delicious lunch.”
 
Students from all up and down the hall were now standing in the hall, trying to get a look at what was going on. Akane was one of them and looked on as the Amazon girl stepped through the hole she had made in the wall.
 
“Shampoo think maybe if Airen see what good cook she is, he will want to come back to village with her.” She carried the carried tray into the classroom until she was standing at the desk just in front of Ranma's. To the student sitting there she just ordered, “Move!”
 
With one arm she swept the book, notepad and other study materials off the desk and placed the tray upon it. With a flourish she removed the lid to reveal a tastefully arranged assortment of Chinese delicacies to tempt the most jaded appetite.
 
Ranma looked on with a stony expression on his face. “Shampoo, I think it's nice that you put the effort into making this, but I'm not eating any of it.”
 
“What? Why not?”
 
“First, I am not your `airen.' Second, I already have a bento made by Tendo Kasumi. I am not tossing that aside to eat from the food you brought.
 
The other students could easily understand that. On the few occasions that Ranma or the Tendo sisters had shared their lunches, they knew that Kasumi's food was not something to be missed. How could Chinese food, even free Chinese food, measure up to that standard?
 
Ranma wasn't finished. “Third is the fact that you might take my eating your food as some sign of approval of your `claim' on me. I want to be completely clear on this. Your defeat was an accident and you haven't even given me the Kiss of Marriage yet, nor will I stand still to receive said Kiss.”
 
He took a deep breath. “Fourth, I don't love you. You attacked my friends only moments after I just met you as I am. You are too violent and I am not marrying you even if you do manage to give me the Kiss of Marriage.”
 
“Finally, I am too young to be married. The laws of this country do not allow someone my age to get married without the permission of my parents. I want to experience more of life before being tied down to the responsibilities of raising a family.”
 
The Chinese girl protested, “But, Shampoo love you.”
 
“No, you don't. If you think you do, you are fooling yourself. You only just met me as I am and then in an emotionally charged situation. If anything you should feel resentful over your defeat instead of in love with your opponent.”
 
“But…”
 
Interrupting, Akane said, “Just give it up and maybe try back in a few years. He doesn't want to get married to anyone right now, not even me.”
 
“What girl mean, `not even me'?”
 
Oh no, now I've stuck my foot in it,” thought Akane. Out loud she explained, “Before we were born our fathers decided that if they had children of the opposite sex they would marry to join the two Martial Arts schools. Ranma is my fiancé.”
 
“What is fiance?” The Chinese girl was unfamiliar with the term.
 
Betrothed,” Ranma supplied in Mandarin.
 
Leveling an angry glare at Akane, the Amazon exclaimed, “You is obstacle. Obstacle is for killing.”
 
Since intruding on the conversation, Akane had known there was a chance the purple haired girl would attack. She would not be caught unprepared. Using some of her reserves of ki, Akane blurred forward and, brushing aside a bonborri, delivered a punishing blow to the other girl's abdomen.
 
Since this was the girl that her airen had been protecting back at the house, Shampoo was not expecting any resistance. The sudden pain in her abdomen doubled her over and she dropped her weapon as she fell to her knees. The pain left her struggling to draw a breath.
 
Not wanting to humiliate the girl any more than necessary, Akane still couldn't resist giving Ranma a look that clearly said, “Was she supposed to be good?”
 
Ranma just shrugged. At that point the bell for lunch rang. The teacher called out the assignment for the next day and beat a hasty retreat. He didn't want to have to deal with the disruption in his classroom.
 
Thus distracted, Akane didn't notice the Amazon girl getting up from the floor. She felt the gentle hand on her chin just as Ranma shouted, “Akane! Turn your head!”
 
Having gotten used to following instructions from her martial arts sensei, Akane did as bid and felt lips pressed against her own in a kiss. The Amazon pulled back with an expression of horror on her face.
 
Realizing what was going on, Akane decided to play it up. “You gave me the Kiss of Marriage, you pervert! Just because you can't get Ranma to marry you, doesn't mean I'll marry you instead.”
 
The Amazon girl was shaking her head violently. “No, NO! That not what Shampoo mean. Is supposed to kill you.”
 
“Shampoo not know what to do,” she said, putting her hands over her face.
 
Ranma's voice came, “The situation is more complicated than you realize. You gave the wrong kiss to `girl-type' Ranma back in your village. That wasn't a girl who defeated you, it was a man with a Jusenkyo Spring of Drowned Girl curse.”
 
While he was speaking he had pulled out a thermos with a blue sticker on the cap. Ranma opened this and poured some of the cold water on his face. She said, “The man you want to marry is the girl you have been chasing all over trying to kill.”
 
The Amazon shook her head again then turned and fled. She left behind her weapons and her tray of food. Akane asked, “Do you think that is the last we will see of her?”
 
Ranma shook her head. “I think what is likely that she will either go away and think for a time or go back to her village to get advice from someone older and wiser. Once she figures out what to do (or an Elder tells her what to do) she will come back.
 
After getting a splash from her hot water thermos, to rest of the students in the class he said, “Since Shampoo didn't take her tray of food with her, you're all welcome to split it between you. Like I said, I'm not going to eat it for all the reasons I stated.”
 
“Crime Stoppers” Interlude #3
 
Ranma had been roof hopping home after going out to buy a new manga. He stopped when he heard sounds that it took him a moment to identify as gunshots. With a little thought he realized that the building he was on was a bank.
 
A man in casual clothing was hunkered down behind a car and looking out into the street. He was holding a big pistol and it was this that the boy had heard. In the street Ranma could see a police car stopped at an angle to the street and behind it was officer Takata. The officer had his pistol drawn and was looking toward the man just below Ranma.
 
The pigtailed martial artist guessed the man below robbed (or tried to rob) the bank whose roof Ranma now crouched on. He looked back to the policeman just as the officer looked up and spotted the martial artist. As their eyes met the policeman's eyes got wide and he shook head sharply and while gesturing violently, trying to wave the boy off.
 
The criminal thought this was strange behavior in the middle of a gunfight and turned to look behind him. Ranma ducked back to avoid being seen. While he was hiding he heard another gunshot and returned to looking down on the street. It looked like Takata had tried to take advantage of the criminal's distraction to rush forward. The crook had turned back too soon and fired a shot that grazed the officer on the shoulder, actually ripping a small tear in his uniform.
 
That was enough for Ranma. He leapt from the roof of the four story building and shot out a ki blast as he went. The ball of ki he threw was small, but enough to knock the gun from the robber's hand. Before the man had time to recover his weapon Ranma landed behind him.
 
The robber had just began to turn to face the new menace when Ranma hit him with a quick two punch combination that stunned the man. That let the teenager get close enough to hit his shiatsu sleep spot and render him unconscious.
 
As officer Takata rushed up, Ranma asked, “Are you Ok?”
 
The policeman glanced at his shoulder and said, “It's just a scratch, probably won't even need a bandage. You do know that what you did was incredibly dangerous?”
 
With a sheepish expression the boy said, “I guess I wasn't thinking about how I could get shot. I just couldn't stand by and let you get hurt.”
 
The policeman shook his head. “While I appreciate the thought, we can't have civilians putting themselves in harm's way. I know you are a martial artist and sworn to protect people, but what you did was extremely foolish. No amount of martial arts can stop a bullet.”
 
Ranma realized that if the crook hadn't been busy shooting at the policeman he could have turned and shot at Ranma while he was in the air. He would have had no way to dodge and could have ended up dead. “Sorry,” he mumbled.
 
While they were talking three more police cars pulled up and their drivers stepped out. Takata pulled a pair of handcuffs from their belt holster and used them to secure the prisoner. He told the other officers, “You missed the excitement. Young Saotome here was on the roof and rendered an assist. He subdued the suspect.”
 
One of the other officers said, “This kid?” in a disbelieving tone of voice.
 
Another policeman said, “This is the `kid' who took out those four rapists.”
 
The first officer who has spoken looked confused, “I thought that was a girl.”
 
Takata said, shaking his head, “You really should read the briefings. One of you help me get this guy to the car. I'm going take him to the station to book him. I'm also taking Saotome along so he can make a statement.”
 
The cop who had told of Ranma's previous accomplishment said, “We'll secure the scene and start interviewing witnesses.”
 
Ranma went to stand beside Takata's car. He noticed a fresh new bullet hole in a front fender and shuddered as he imagined that bullet hitting him instead of the car. The policeman probably could have handled things without him. What had possessed him to play hero?
 
A little further thought and he knew. The criminal had hurt officer Takata, a man Ranma had come to consider a friend. Ranma protected his friends.
 
 
Author's Note: I always thought that Shampoo acted like a spoiled brat who was used to getting her way. I just tried to emphasize that a bit.