Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A Big Help ❯ Look Out, Duck! ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Big Help
A Ranma one half/Sailor Moon crossover fanfic
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Mykon and Jora are my original creations so I request that nobody uses them without permission. The rest of these characters are the property of their creators, publishers, anime production companies, etc. I write this for fun and make no profit off it.
 
 
Chapter 10
Look Out, Duck!
 
Akane was walking home with her sister, Kasumi. They had been out shopping together and stopped at a lottery booth in the shopping street. Akane had been lucky enough to win a stuffed toy pig that she had been wanting.
 
Akane was in an extremely good mood. Not only had she just won a prize, but the night before was her first date with Ryoga. They had gone to dinner and a movie and the fang toothed boy had been a perfect gentleman. She knew the boy had really doted on her and had been able to finally overcome his shyness. It had been fun evening even if at one point when he held her hand he had squeezed it hard enough to hurt.
 
Akane didn't know that before the date Ranma had a confrontation with the bandana wearing boy. It was a reiteration of the warning he had given before. If Ryoga hurt Akane, Ranma's friend, he would regret it.
 
Any kind of dating that either Ranma or Akane might do with anyone other than each other had to be kept secret from their fathers. Although they had jointly decided they were not going to let those old men dictate who they would love or date, they were hoping to avoid the argument about family honor that was sure to follow if they let those men know they really weren't interested in dating each other.
 
Suddenly the sound of laughter could be heard and the words, “Tendo Akane, betrothed of Saotome Ranma, you will now be my hostage.”
 
Akane was instantly alert and called out, “Whose there?”
 
There was no answer but seemingly out of nowhere there came a barrage of weapons on the ends of chains. Akane leapt to push Kasumi aside to protect her.
 
A man appeared. He was wearing a white robe over black pants and he had a mask on his face. He had snagged the stuffed pig and pulled it into his grasp. He didn't seem to notice the artificial voice box in the stuffed animal made an “oink” sound. He sounded quite pleased with himself as he said, “Now I've got you.”
 
Akane demanded, “Just who are you?”
 
Kasumi remarked, “What a strange man.”
 
The man threw a small piece of cardboard at Akane. With her trained reflexes she easily caught it. The man said, “Tell Saotome Ranma that if he wants to get Tendo Akane back he is to come to the place shown on that ticket.” Akane was fuming at the idea that the man had apparently mistaken a stuffed toy for her.
 
The man left, riding on a unicycle. Akane shouted, “Hey, wait a minute!” but the man ignored her.
 
Kasumi seemed bemused. “Akane, he thought that piggy was you.”
 
Akane nodded. While still angry, she was exercising the control that she had been learning from Ranma. She said, “He will pay for that. There was something familiar about him. I'm going to talk to Ranma.”
 
When they got back to the dojo Akane described their attacker. He thought for a moment. “The height, the build and the clothes, along with the chains sound like Mousse. My guess he is trying to pull the same thing he did before.”
 
He sighed. “Obviously the guy isn't just half-blind, but he's an idiot as well. Anyone who would mistake a stuffed animal for a live person can't be playing with a full deck. He probably is doing this to make me leave his `darling Xian-pu' alone. He still doesn't get the idea that she's the one who needs to leave me alone.”
 
Akane plaintively asked, “Is everyone from that village crazy?”
 
Ranma shrugged. “I didn't meet everybody. I suspect sane people are a minority, though.”
 
“You realize that meeting is a trap”
 
The boy acknowledged, “Of course it's a trap. Even if this was an ultimatum addressed to me you were the one he tried to take hostage. I think it is time that Mousse learns that you can't be treated like a `damsel in distress' anymore.”
 
“Ranma? You think I'm ready?”
 
“You are advanced enough in your training you should be able to handle this guy no problem.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
That evening they made their appearance at the Chinese Acrobat Circus. Ranma was in girl form and both girls were dressed in pretty kimonos. From off to one side there came the call, “Nihao, Ranma. You come take Shampoo on date?”
 
“Oh, hi Xian-pu. I can't date you tonight. Akane and I are walking into a trap.”
 
“Trap?”
 
“Yeah, a man we think is Mousse jumped Akane and tried to kidnap her. What he got was a stuffed toy pig instead of her. He gave Akane a ticket to this circus and told her that if I wanted to rescue her I had to come here tonight.”
 
Ranma showed the purple haired girl the ticket. She asked, “You say Mousse give you ticket?”
 
Akane said, “I'm pretty sure it was him. He had the same height, build and was wearing the same clothes. He was wearing a mask so his voice was muffled a little, but he sounded the same too.”
 
“Strange. Shampoo get ticket too.”
 
Ranma nodded. “At a guess, he probably wants to do something to me or Akane (or both) and wants you to see it.”
 
“Humph. Mousse all the time big idiot.”
 
Ranma got a shocked expression on her face. “Wow, you finally said something I can agree with.”
 
Just then they heard a voice, “It's been a long time, Ranma. Tonight's show should be very entertaining.”
 
If Mousse had been looking for shock, he was disappointed. Ranma casually said, “Hello Mousse. Thanks for the ticket to the circus.”
 
“Saotome Ranma. Until I win back Shampoo from you I shall keep Tendo Akane hostage.”
 
In a low, dangerous tone Akane directed, “Put your glasses on, you idiot.”
 
With a frown he did as instructed. He looked at his “hostage” and exclaimed, “When did this happen?”
 
As the three girls headed toward the entrance to the circus tent, Ranma said, “You really need to do something about your vanity.”
 
“Vanity!”
 
“Not that I'm a good judge of such things, but the other girls tell me that you are really quite handsome. I guess you don't want to mess up your good looks by wearing the glasses. If you don't get over that, stuff like this is going to keep happening to you all the time. You might want to look into getting contact lenses or laser surgery.” She turned and rushed to catch up with Akane and Shampoo.
 
The circus was fun. The acrobats were amazing with the feats they performed and the degree of showman ship was superb. Ranma reflected that she could probably do almost anything the acrobats could do, but wasn't sure she could be as entertaining in the performance. She'd have to develop more showmanship before doing that. Probably would be more trouble than it would be worth.
 
They came to a part of the show where the master of ceremonies called for a volunteer from the audience. He offered the very same stuffed pig as a prize to whoever stepped forward.
 
Ranma and Akane exchanged a glance then Ranma held up a fist. Akane nodded and they did a quick rock-paper-scissors. Ranma won so she leaped from the audience and went out to be the volunteer. She found herself fastened down to the rotating disk for a knife throwing act.
 
A cart was wheeled out on which was a huge platter with a domed lid covering it. The ringmaster lifted the lid off the platter and from under that dome there flashed several Chinese throwing knives. These struck the disk where Ranma was confined, barely missing the cursed martial artist. One of those knifes actually struck the end of her pigtail.
 
The ringmaster announced, “Is now the entrance of our big star. Welcome Mou Mou Chan the Duck, and what a duck.” The bird seemed to be holding a throwing knife in its bill.
 
Ranma looked at the duck's ki signature and was not surprised to find that this was Mousse with a Jusenkyo curse. The fact that the duck was wearing bottle-bottom glasses was also something of a clue.
 
More knives went flying and this time they were not aimed to miss. These knives went directly at Ranma head. Fortunately, Ranma was able to catch the knives in her teeth. The crowd murmured in amazement at the great skill and speed this demonstrated.
 
The duck flung some small balls, which exploded into smoke. When that smoke cleared, both the duck and the girl on the target had vanished.
 
Outside both Ranma and Mousse used kettles of hot water to return to their birth forms. Mousse asked, “How did you know the duck was me?”
 
“Your ki signature and the glasses.”
 
“Bah! The knives were just a greeting. The circus from hell is just beginning. Prepare yourself, Saotome Ranma.”
 
Ranma sighed sadly, “I suppose it wouldn't do any good if I tell you I don't want Xian-Pu and you're welcome to her. I've tried to tell her this and she doesn't listen to me. I'm not trying to get out of a fight, but I have to tell you that win, lose or draw, it's not going to make a difference. Xian-Pu's the one you should be working on, not me.”
 
“If I prove I'm the better warrior, she will lose interest in you.”
 
Ranma felt like he had to make one final appeal. “Xian-pu is very stubborn. I don't love her; I don't even like her. She refuses to believe me. About the only thing I could say to her that might get her to leave me alone is that I hate her, but I can't hurt her feelings like that. Fighting me isn't going to change her mind. It's her you need to work on.”
 
Mousse wasn't buying it. He produced a bucket and asked Ranma, “Do you know what this is?”
 
“Water?”
 
The nearsighted martial artist explained , “This is no ordinary water. It is the fruit of my labors.”
 
There followed a brief recounting of how Mousse had gone to Jusenkyo to train. By the simple expedient of taking his glasses off he had walked right into the pool of drowned duck and received his curse because he was too blind to see where he was going.
 
Standing in a dramatic pose and pointing his finger, the Chinese boy said, “Hear me, Saotome! The moment I fell in that spring I devised my plan to defeat you.” Some of the drama of this pronouncement was lost by the fact that Mousse was facing a monkey from the circus and Ranma was off to the side.
 
The monkey took exception to having a finger thrust into his face and bit said finger. Angry at being bitten the boy started to try and punch the small creature while Ranma from his spot on the side just said, “Get real, would you?”
 
The Amazon boy finally put his glasses on and saw the monkey that began to swipe at him. Ranma picked up the bucket and balanced it on the tip of a finger, spinning it. “So this must be…”
 
As he threw the water toward Mousse the boy leapt out of the way. “That was quite a leap. That must mean that this is…”

“Yes, that water is from the spring of Drowned Duck.” He held out his arms and from them was hanging several water balloons. He began throwing them at Ranma. If he had just been throwing the balloons it would have been easy to dodge them but Mousse was also throwing knives that were bursting the balloons. The sprays of water were much harder to dodge than the balloons.
 
At that moment water from a hose splashed the Amazon boy, turning him into a duck. Ranma looked to see Shampoo turning off the hose. She said, “Stupid Mousse. Shampoo no let you hurt Ranma.”
 
The duck still had his glasses but they were now too large for the duck's face. They lay on the bird's chest. He then produced from stuff space a smaller pair of glasses that were the right size for his smaller body. Then from stuff space again he produced a bouquet of flowers that he presented to the purple haired girl.
 
Shampoo scowled and slapped the duck upside the head. “Shampoo have no intention of dating with you.”
 
In spite of what he knew of the boy's plans, Ranma couldn't help feel sorry Mousse. The duck's head drooped in dejection. This only lasted for a moment as he turned and directed an angry glare at Ranma.
 
Ranma had to jump away when more of the throwing knives came at him. Although it would be relatively easy to take out the duck, he worried the most of his techniques would seriously injure the small waterfowl or even kill him. Ranma ran to get some room to maneuver. His run took him to the area for sideshows and games.
 
The pigtailed martial artist felt a moment of panic. This was not a good place for a fight. Innocent bystanders could be hurt. As if in response to that thought, Mousse threw more of the water balloons. Angrily Ranma grabbed up children who could have been splashed and carried them out of the way. Most of the water landed in an aquarium tank for the “catch a fish” game and changed the goldfish into ducks.
 
Putting the kids down Ranma grabbed the closest things he could find to use as weapons. This happened to be pinwheels. He threw them like darts so they pinned the duck to the side of a box. “I'm tired of your grudge.” He got down close to the duck. “If you weren't such a fool I wouldn't have Shampoo bothering me all the time.”
 
Shampoo used another fish tank to bop Ranma in the head. “Shampoo was worried about you. But now Shampoo mad.” The purple haired girl dumped the water of the fish tank over herself. Once she got free of her clothing Shampoo cat took off after Ranma to chase him giving every indication that she intended to claw him to shreds.
 
In another part of the circus Akane had lost track of everybody. At that point there came the sound of sinister laughter. Suddenly a face appeared in front of her hanging from the tree above. Akane had been on edge and now attacked. It took a moment before she realized that this was not some monster, but a person.

“Oh Mousse, It's just you.”
 
The cursed Chinese martial artist produced a rose and held it in front of Akane's face. After having had a bouquet of Kodachi's black roses spray paralysis gas in her face, Akane didn't respond well to having any kind of roses shoved in her face. In her opinion, roses should sit in a vase on a table and look pretty, nothing else.
 
Using ki to enhance her speed, Akane slapped the flower aside then shouted, “Kachutenshin Amaguriken,” as she rained dozens of blows on the Chinese boy. He had not been expecting it so he had been unable to put up any kind of defense. He fell from the tree to land in a heap on the ground. Akane looked at the crumpled form and said, “I am not some damsel in distress that needs to rescued.”
 
Akane was startled by the sound of hands clapping. She whirled to see Ranma. “Well done, student. I caught the end of that fight.”
 
Akane blushed slightly. “Thank you, sensei.”
 
Ranma looked at the boy and mused, “What are we going to do with him?”

What they ended up doing was looking up the owner of the circus and giving him a thorough explanation of the private agenda the Amazon boy had following. The circus owner was upset, not as what the boy had been doing, but that he had been using him.
 
As it turned out, Mousse had no passport or visa so it wasn't too much of a problem to get him deported back to China. Ranma commented, “That will get him out our hair for a while, but if he could get in illegally once, he can do it again. He's not likely to give up on Shampoo that easily.”
 
Akane growled. “I hope he never gets back. He was going to turn me into a duck.”
 
“He didn't succeed.”
 
“The stuff he had written said he was going to turn me into a duck regardless of what you did in response to taking me hostage. Any sympathy I might have felt for him over his curse or Shampoo's rejection is gone.”
 
“Yeah, I have to admit it's hard to feel sorry for him after finding out what he was planning.”
 
On a Wednesday evening Ranma was in her room alone. She was having a rare quiet moment without her father harassing her and school was out for the day. There were no enemies or rivals currently wanting to challenge her. Her father was downstairs playing shogi with Soun.
 
The pigtailed girl had finished all of her homework and was considering what to do for the rest of her evening. She had almost decided to go out on one of her patrols for Neighborhood Watch when she turned his head to the side and listened to something only she could hear. The young martial artist's eyes got wide.
 
Thus it was that Ranma went down the stairs and to the kitchen to talk to Kasumi.
 
“Hello, Ranma.”
 
“Hi, Kasumi.” The eldest Tendo daughter was cleaning up after dinner. Ranma liked her as if she were his own sister. He told her, “Something important has come up and I have an announcement to make. I'd like for everyone to meet in the dojo on Saturday right after school. Not much of my announcement will concern you directly, but it will have an effect on the family so I think you will want to be there.”
 
“If… if you think so.”
 
Ranma smiled and nodded. “Is Master Happosai home?”
 
“No, he's not. I think he went out on another of his expeditions to `liberate his silky darlings'.”
 
Ranma sighed. “You'd think he'd get tired of this game. He steals them, I take them from his room and drop them off with the police then the women he steals them from reclaim them. I know for a fact that he no longer needs to drain ki from them. Well, I hope he's gotten whatever it is he needs from them by the time I take them from him.”
 
Kasumi agreed, “I hope so too.”
 
Shaking her head, Ranma asked, “Please pass along the message to him when he gets back. There will be stuff announced that will concern him and the future of the Anything Goes School. I think he will want to hear it. I'm pretty sure he would not want to hear about it later.”
 
“I'll tell him.”
 
Akane and Nabiki were in the living room. Ranma walked up beside the couch and waited to be noticed. Nabiki saw her and noticed, “You look serious, Saotome. What's up?”
 
“Something's come up and I have an important announcement to make. This will affect everyone in the family and I'd like you to be in the dojo after school on Saturday.”
 
“Big announcement?” Nabiki was intrigued. “Any hints what it's about?”
 
“Only that it affects everyone in the family. I think it would be better if I tell everyone about it all at the same time. I've already asked Kasumi to tell Happi about it. I'm going to go visit Ucchan's and the Nekohanten to let them know about it too.”
 
“You're inviting the Amazons?”
 
The pigtailed martial artist confirmed, “Yes. The announcement will concern them too. I would also consider it a personal favor (and remember that you do owe me a couple favors) if the Kuno's don't hear about this. When it comes time to tell them what parts of this relate to them I would rather do it later and in private.”
 
Nabiki looked skeptical. “Are you sure that's wise?”
 
“Yes. Could you at least promise to wait until after the announcement before you tell either of the Kunos anything?”
 
The mercenary girl seemed to consider it. Ranma offered, “Think about it this way, then. If you tell them now all you can tell them is that I'm going to make an announcement which may or may not concern them. If you wait until after, you can (if you chose) tell them what the announcement was. I'm sure you can ask a higher price for that.”
 
“Good point,” conceded Nabiki.
 
Akane just gave Ranma a “We'll talk more about this later” look.
 
Ranma found the two older men just finishing up a game. She considered it fortunate that she didn't have to interrupt a game as her father could get quite grumpy when that happened.
 
Soun won the game and Ranma had to wonder how much he had to cheat to do so. Both men cheated but Ranma had to confess that when they played with neither man cheating, her father did have a slight edge over his old friend when it came to playing Shogi. If they played Go, Soun had the advantage.
 
For a wonder Genma was taking his defeat with good grace for a change. He said, “Well played, Tendo. What did you want, boy?”
 
Ranma internally winced at the designation of “boy.” She was a girl right now and she had tried to get her father to use her name more often. Those efforts had come to nothing. Well, it was likely that would change on Saturday.
 
“Pop, Mr. Tendo, something has come up and I have an important announcement to make. I'd like for both of you to meet with everyone in the dojo after school on Saturday. I'm asking everyone to meet there as well, including the Master.”
 
“What's this about, boy?”
 
“I only want to tell this once when everyone is there. And when I say everyone I also include the Amazons and Ucchan. I'm not inviting the Kunos and I've talked Nabiki into waiting until after the announcement to tell them.”
 
Soun mused, “Sounds big. Are you sure you won't say anything more before Saturday?”
 
“No, I've said all I'm going to for now. I've got to get going so I can tell Ucchan and the Amazons. I wanted to make sure to tell everyone far enough in advance so you'll all be there on Saturday.”
 
He left and headed directly to the restaurant of his friend and fiancé, Kuonji Ukyo. By the time he got there the dinner rush had ended and he was able to talk to her. “Hey Ranchan, what up?”
 
Ranma gave her the invitation. She looked doubtful. “I don't know. It sounds like it could cut into my lunch business. Saturdays are usually pretty busy for lunch.”
 
The martial artists nodded, understanding. “I don't want to hurt your business. I'll tell you something I haven't told anyone else so far. You know how I sometimes seem to zone out and listen to someone who no one else can see or hear?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“That is going to be explained. Not just who I listen to but who are the `friends' I talk about when I tell people about who taught me the things my father didn't.”
 
The chef considered this then asked, “Do you mean we are actually going to meet these mysterious friends of yours?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I guess I can miss one Saturday's Lunch business.”
 
“Thanks Ucchan.”
 
At the Nekohanten a purple haired girl rushed forward to glomp and Ranma held up a hand and shouted, “Shampoo, stop! I am not here to ask you on a date (have I ever asked you on a date?) I need to talk to Kho Lon.”
 
The sound of “thump, thump” could be heard as the Amazon elder bounced out from the back on her stick. “Hello, son-in-law. What brings you to our humble establishment this evening?” She refrained from comment on the boy's treatment of Shampoo.
 
The boy gave a formal bow. “Elder and matriarch of the Joketsuzoku, Kho Lon, I have to ask you to come to the Tendo Dojo this Saturday after school. I ask that you bring Xian Pu and Mou Tsu when you come. I realize that this will interfere with your lunch business that day but I have an important announcement to make and I am hoping that all parties who have an interest in my life will be there.”
 
“Truly? What sort of announcement would that be?”
 
“I don't want to repeat it now. It will be told to everyone at the same time. I can tell you that issues will be resolved and secrets will be revealed. I say not as a threat but as a prediction that you would regret missing it.”
 
“Sonny boy, you intrigue me. We will be there.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
After he left the old woman commented, “This must be serious. He didn't even wait around long enough for the offer of free ramen.”
 
In a Chinese government building a small elderly woman knocked on the door of an office. The woman was Lo Shun, an elder from the Joketsuzoku Amazon tribe. The office belonged to an official of the government of the People's Republic of China. He was also the official liaison to the tribe.
 
At an acknowledgement from inside the old woman went into the office. After formal polite greetings the elder seated herself and the government official said, “Thank you for coming on such short notice. A matter has come to my attention that I think you and your Council of Elders should know about.”
 
To herself the Amazon Elder thought, “Please don't be what I think it is.” Although inwardly worried, no trace of her concern showed on the Elder's serene countenance. Out loud she asked, “What matter would that be?”
 
“A young man has made a complaint to the Japanese government. The complaint is against members of your tribe. Were you aware that there are members of your tribe currently in Japan?”
 
Lo Shun kept her expression under tight control. “I had heard that. Do you have the names of these Jokestsuzoku?”
 
The man was also using his best poker face. “One of them is a warrior by the name of Xian Pu, another is an elder named Kho Lon. I believe she is the Matriarch of your tribe, is she not?”
 
“Yes, she is.” Under breath Lo Shun muttered, “That may change.”
 
After a pause she asked, “What was the nature of the young man's complaint?”
 
“Warrior Xian Pu was chasing a woman to whom she had given the Kiss of Death. Believing that her target had taken refuge in the young man's home, she invaded that household and threatened violence to the residents if they didn't not reveal where the woman was hidden. The young man, one Saotome Ranma by name, defended his family and defeated your warrior.”
 
The Amazon Elder rested her forehead on her hand. “I would guess that Xian Pu gave the young man the Kiss of Marriage.”
 
The government official shook his head. “It would seem the boy was cognizant of your laws. He fended off the Kiss and informed your warrior he was not interested in getting married. He correctly pointed out that in Japan your warrior was the Outsider and the Kiss would have no validity anyway.”
 
Lo Shun nodded. “If it had ended there you wouldn't have contacted me. May I assume that she continued to press her `claim'?”
 
“She did. That didn't work out and she went back to your village. When she returned to Japan it was in the company of Matriarch Kho Lon. Since their arrival they have used blackmail, coercion, drugs and all sorts of other means to try and force the boy to marry Xian Pu and go back to the village.”
 
With a sigh Lo Shun said, “I suppose there is no accounting for taste. Warrior Xian Pu is a very beautiful young woman who many men would be pleased to wed.”
 
The government official gave a snort. “Perhaps she `came on too strong' and scared the young man off. The government of the People's Republic does not like to become involved in such personal matters. Normally it is something that should be settled between the individuals involved. However, with the tactics used so far, the boy fears that Kho Lon may resort to kidnapping and asked for protection from his government.”
 
He sighed. “Naturally the Japanese government contacted the People's Republic and just as naturally they called me. Even if Kho Lon is the Matriarch, she is subject to the will of the Council. She must be ordered to cease and desist with the actions she is taking toward the Saotome boy. If warrior Xian Pu wishes to marry the boy, she will have to do it like most of the civilized world does and date him.”
 
The Elder shook her head. “Xian Pu had no business being in Japan anyway. The combat she lost was a formal challenge match where she promised a prize to the other girl if she was beaten. By giving the Kiss of Death to her foe, she broke her word and violated Amazon law. We've been sending Kho Lon letters to try and get her to return, but she has been ignoring them.”
 
The government man told her, “If she will not respond to your letters, then you must send someone to talk to her. I would like to keep relations with your people cordial, but Kho Lon may force us to take a more aggressive stance toward your people.”
 
Feeling very uncomfortable the elder asked, “What do you mean?”
 
The man frowned before saying, “Within the government of the Peoples' Republic there are factions regarding your people and the region you inhabit.”
 
He pursed his lips in silent contemplation then went on, “China is an ancient land and there are those who honor the old traditions. They like the reputation our nation has as a land of ancient wisdom.”
 
“However, there are those who are concerned on how our nation is viewed in the international community. They want China to be seen as a modern nation that embraces the arts and sciences. If our government were to officially acknowledge the existence of magic there those who fear that other nations would look at us as primitive and superstitious. They feel that if that were to happen the quality of respect that we receive from other nations would change. Instead of being respected as world power that would change to the kind of respect one gives to a schoolyard bully - feared for his strength but secretly derided for his lack of intelligence.”
 
Continuing on, “Because of this concern, the government refuses to officially acknowledge the existence of magic.”
 
The elder was intrigued. “The way you say that leads me to wonder if the government has some `unofficial' knowledge of magic.”
 
“One of the men sent to `disprove” Jusenkyo came back cursed to change into a yak.”
 
“I see.”
 
The man looked pensive. “While your people, the Musk and the Phoenix stayed in your own area of the back country and kept your conflicts confined to your region, the government was content to look the other way. Now, they may not be able to do that. Elder Kho Lon is one of the most magically knowledgeable of her tribe. Xian Pu has the Jusenkyo Curse of Drowned Cat. Although we don't have absolute confirmation, there is evidence that the Saotome boy has the Curse of Drowned Girl.”
 
The elder asked, “What does this all mean?”
 
“It would be in everyone's best interest if the young Amazon warrior were to withdraw her `claim' and for both her and her great grandmother to return to your village. Hopefully that would prevent the young man from pressing his complaint and the whole affair could just blow over.”
 
The government official steepled his fingers. “I don't like to put things on this kind of basis. There are those in the government who would prefer not to have to deal with the issue at all. They are suggesting the army stage some `combat exercises' in your region. They argue that if your village as well as those of the others are wiped from the map it would go a long way to nullifying the whole magic question.”
 
“That's barbaric! To say nothing of the fact that it wouldn't eliminate the springs that are the main source of the magic in the area.”
 
The man behind the desk sighed, “Among those same people who advocate the course of action I described there are some who believe they have a solution to that as well. Some well-placed explosives should destroy the main spring at Jusendo and cause the springs in the valley to dry up. That would end the magic, possibly forever.”
 
The elder was appalled. “You… wouldn't do that. You couldn't. The magic wouldn't let you.”
 
“My dear Elder Lo Shun, I do not advocate such a course. I have argued against it, but I am a low-level functionary with no power. They will listen to what I say and likely ignore it.”
 
Meekly she said, “I will go to Japan myself. I will tell Kho Lon to leave the boy alone and to return to the village. If she refuses I will get the council to order her.”
 
The man handed her a plastic object. It looked like a cellular phone, but larger. “What is this?”
 
“It is a satellite phone. One of these is being delivered to the Council of Elders. With it you will be able to talk to your village from nearly anywhere in the world. I have arranged for a flight to get you to Japan. It should leave in two hours. During that time you can speak the council to get their final word for Matriarch Kho Lon.”
 
The elder was old enough not to be shocked. She said, “You move fast when you decide to move.”
 
“Elder Lo Shun, I have no desire to see your people exterminated. I will give you what help I can to prevent such a thing from happening.”
 
The elder bowed her head. “Thank you.”
 
 
 
Author's Note: Oddly enough the next two chapters are actually the first ones I wrote. This and all of the previous chapters were intended to be set-up for those chapters. Like Ranma said, “Issues resolved and secrets revealed.” Stay tuned…