Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A Mind among Men ❯ Memories ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Mind among Men
A Ranma Fanfic
Written By : Noaki (Noaki@juno.com)

Disclaimer : I do not own in any way shape or form any
part of Ranma. I only use it's characters and some of its
storyline.

Conversation Key :
[" "]=Thoughts
" " =Speaking
* * =Telepathy
{" "}=Panda Signs
\" "/=Other Languages

Prolog
Memories

+-------------------------- --------------------------------+

What has happened (Time line):
This fanfic takes place a week after the failed wedding attempt.

+-------------------------------------------------------- --+

Ranma sat on top of the roof of the Tendo dojo. He stared up at the stars, thinking about his life. The events of the past week had piled up to become a great burden, one he knew he couldn't carry for long. Only seven days ago the wedding with Akane had been ruined. Shampoo and Ukyo bombing the place, as well as the Kunos going crazy (a common event), and finally Happosai drinking the last water from the spring of drown man made sure that the wedding plans had failed. To add to that his mother moved into a new house, and his only sorce of comfort and support was lost. These were not his biggest problems. No, the largest problem he faced at the moment was the challenge that Happosai made. Who would have thought that the old pervert was truly interested in joining the Saotome and Tendo families?

As he gazed towards the heavens he thought back.

_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Two days ago_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"Boy! Get in here, the master has something to say!" Genma shouted to Ranma, who had been practicing his chi manipulation by the koi pond.

"What is it Pops?" Ranma shouted back. He was upset because of the interruption in his meditation, and he was still upset over the wedding attempt a few nights ago.

"Ranma! Get in here before the master gets upset!" Genma shouted back.

With a sigh Ranma got up and walked into the dojo where his father was. Upon entering he saw the entire Tendo family gathered around Happosai. Happosai was sitting in lotus position in the middle of the group, his expression unreadable. "What is it old lecher?" Ranma asked.

Happosai opened one eye and stared at Ranma. "I have something to say about the engagement. After the failure at the wedding, I can no longer trust these two idiots to bring the families together." he said.

"It was partly YOUR fault that the wedding failed. And why should you care if me and Akane get married?" Ranma replied angrily.

"Can you blame an old man for quenching his thirst? Anyway, if you get married with a Tendo the schools will be united and I can retire." Happosai said.

"You mean you can devote even more time to stealing panties?" Ranma replied.

"Well... yes. And you won't interfere with Akane as a wife! That brings me to my point. I know you want to work out this fiancee thing yourself. So I'm issuing a challenge!" Happosai said happily.

"I can take you on anytime anywhere freak!" Ranma replied.

"You must take on me and any allies I can gather before the fight. If you win you may sort out your fiancee problem yourself and I won't interfere. If we win, then you will marry Akane no matter who interferes with the wedding." Happosai said gleefully as he hopped up to his feet.

"So you will leave me alone to solve my problems by myself when I win?" Ranma said, sensing a trap.

"Yes." Happosai replied.

"I accept then!" Ranma said, happiness shining in his eyes.

"You better win! I don't want to be married to a pervert like you!" Akane shouted.

"Wah! Ranma doesn't want to marry my daughter!" Soun said as he cried all over Genma and Ranma.

"Oh my!" Kasumi said as she pulled a mop out of nowhere.

Nabiki couldn't say anything, she was laughing to hard.

"I thought I told you to keep your family quiet!" Happosai shouted at Soun.

The Tendos got quiet quickly.

"The fight will be at the High School in two weeks." Happosai said.

"Fine by me." Ranma-chan replied, while wringing Soun's tears out of her hair.

"MASTER! I will assist you in battle!" Soun shouted as he stood and pulled samurai armor and a bo staff out of nowhere. "I will train for two weeks so I can defeat Ranma and join the families!"

{"I will fight too! Now where did I put the Umi-sen-ken and Yama-sen-ken scrolls..."} Genma-panda signed as he started searching the dojo.

"Very good, that is two allies for me!" Happosai said, while grinning a grin bigger than his head should of been able to hold.

["I'm in trouble... it's gonna be hard to take ALL of them on at once. And I KNOW the old freak will somehow get more allies in this..."] Ranma-chan thought as she watched Genma-panda start throwing vacuum blades and Soun whirl his bo staff around at incredible speeds. ["When did he learn that?"]
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Present_=-+-=_=-+-=_

["Somehow he got Pantyhose Taro to join him, must have promised to change his name after he won. Don't know why Ryoga decided to fight. Mousse wants me to lose so I can't marry Shampoo. Kuno wants me to release the pig tailed girl, never mind that if he wins he loses Akane. Not that he ever had her. I don't even want to know how many panties and bras he had to steal to be able to summon those three demons. All in two days. Looks like I better train hard for the next twelve. It's not that I don't want to marry Akane, I just want to know how they feel and how I feel. Now how am I going to deal with Pops using the forbidden techniques? I guess I could return to that scroll Mistress Kionai gave me. But do I really want to unlock those powers? Would it be so bad to lose and get married to Akane..."] Ranma thought, as once again he slipped into a memory.
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Last Night_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"You better not lose! I couldn't stand to be married to a pervert like you!" Akane shouted in Ranma's ear.

"You seemed ready to marry me at that last wedding. Why the sudden change?" Ranma asked.

"Because you like having all of those fiancees! I don't know why I ever thought I loved you!" Akane shouted back.

"... What?!? You loved me?" Ranma replied, going into the Soul of Ice so he wouldn't lose his nerve.

"Did I say that?" Akane said with a worried expression. When Ranma slowly nodded she got mad again. "What does it matter to you! You didn't seem ready to tie the knot with me! You just wanted that spring water! Probably would have left with one of those floozy you like so much right after the wedding. Knowing how big of a pervert you are, you'd probably wait until after the honeymoon!" Akane shouted back, cheeks getting slightly red at the thought of being on a honeymoon with Ranma. And what married couples do on their honeymoon.

"Why would you say something like that!" Ranma shouted, the attack on his honor spearing deep. Neither noticed the ice crystals forming on the grass all around.

"You didn't seem ready to stop those two when they bombed the wedding! You probably asked them to do it!" Akane shouted.

That is when Ranma noticed the mist in the air and the patch of ice, that stretched out six feet in all directions, he was sitting in the middle of. "Akane. Just leave me alone. I don't want to hear this and I refuse put up with it anymore." he said.

"You'll listen to whatever I want to say to you!" she shouted. With that said Ranma stood up and leapt away in one fluid motion. Akane started to follow, but slipped on the ice. Taking a quick look around she started to worry. ["What have I done?"]
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Present_=-+-=_=-+-=_

Ranma sighed softly. ["It took me three hours to drop the Soul of Ice after that. One good thing was any water that came within a foot of me was instantly frozen. Getting hit by the ice blocks wasn't any fun though. I wish I knew how I felt about my fiancees and how they felt about me. If I do use that scroll to unlock my training back then... I would know. Mistress Kionai told me to be careful about it though."] he thought as once more the stars blurred and became a memory.
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Years ago_=-+-=_=-+-=_

On a mountain somewhere in eastern China a seven-year-old boy with black hair and a pigtail sat facing a woman with brown hair. She appeared in her mid twenties and had soft eyes that seemed to know everything about you, and tell you everything was OK at the same time. She handed a tightly bound scroll to the boy and began to speak. "Ranma, I don't know how you managed to sneak away from your father enough, but I am glad you did. I was able to remove the Neko-ken's fear, but it caused a few side effects. One was causing you to behave more like a cat constantly. So I locked that away. You will still fear cats until it becomes unlocked. Unfortunately, locking the Neko-ken away as I did cause some problems too. I had to lower your mental capacities so you couldn't use the training I gave you. If you were to use the training, it would bring the cat back out. I'm very sorry about that and hope you can forgive me. This scroll contains the keywords to remove the block from your mind. Be careful though. If you aren't ready for it, it might send you permanently into the Neko-ken. I trust you to make the right choice when the time comes."

"Yes Mistress Kionai. I'll remember that." Ranma said.

"Good. You better get back to your father. He wants to leave tomorrow you know. Don't lose that scroll. And good luck." Kionai said as she turned and walked away from Ranma, a tear in her eye.

"Goodbye sensei." Ranma muttered before turning away and running back to camp. As he was packing the scroll into a hidden part of his backpack he dried his glistening eyes. ["Pops said real men don't cry."]
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Present_=-+-=_=-+-=_

["Pops is an idiot."] Ranma thought as a tear rolled down his cheek. ["Do I want to risk the Neko-ken? Is it worth it? I could just run. But then I'd be no better that Pops. I wish I could remember all of my time with Mistress Kionai. I know she taught me so much. Now I understand what she was saying back then. Her memory lock basically made me mentally weak. It would be so easy to fix now. But is it worth the risk? If I became permanently Neko-fied what would happen to me. If I was lucky they would accept it. Maybe I would be happier like that? Everyone always says my neko side is playful and happy."]

_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Months ago_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"You should have seen yourself! I'm getting a tape recorder so I can show you next time!" Nabiki said. "If only you could remember!"

"I really don't think it was that funny." Ranma-chan muttered.

"Oh? You chasing Happosai down while in the Neko-ken, getting a bra wrapped around your chest and panties stuck on your head by the old leach, then chasing after Akane like that until she malleted you into the koi pond isn't funny?"

"No it's not. The damn bra is to tight for my female form anyway." Ranma-chan said as she continued to struggle with the clasp on the underclothing.
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Present_=-+-=_=-+-=_

["I have to win this fight. Unlocking my memories is the only chance I have. I can see a few possible outcomes. One, I don't use the scroll and lose the fight, married to Akane forever, but still have to sort my fiancee problems out. Two, I don't use the scroll and get lucky and win. Three, I use the scroll and still lose, but would understand Akane's feelings better. Four, I use the scroll and win, then I could at least know how everyone feels. And Five, I use the scroll and lose my mind to the Neko-ken, but would be happy until I die, just not knowing it."] Ranma thought as his gaze to the stars was blocked by a dark cloud. A roll of thunder was heard before a light sheet of rain came down. Ranma's curse triggered and she sat there for a few minutes. "Not like I really have too much to lose." She said as she hopped off the roof and went to her room to dig through her backpack. A smile crossed her face when she got a scroll from a hidden pocket.

+--------------------------------------------------------- -+

Short? Yes.

Why? It's the prolog. And I wanted to end it with a bit of suspense. (Not that it is very suspenseful.)

What is the scroll? What memories and training will it unlock? If you read my original story, you probably have it figured out.

Why did I decide to scrap the original story and start over? The original was dead in my head (Damn... I hate when I make dumb rhymes like that.). I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. It was too different to follow the original storyline. And I don't have enough experience writing to think up a new storyline. (I could, but it would take too long and the chapters would be short and far between.) So I decided to start from the wedding attempt and just add in the training as something locked away.

What the hell have I been doing the past few months? Alot. I'm working on a web page to host my fics. And I refuse to post the site until I am happy with it and have more than one fic to host. I will be accepting fics to host, so email them to me and I'll look it over (I will review all the fics sent to me. I don't want junk on my page.) I am also working on a few other fics at the same time. I hope to have enough of them done soon that I can get the site up, but who knows?

REVISION: Nov 27, 2002
Added in Nodoka buying a new house to live in. Thanks to TerraEpon for pointing this out! Also fixed a few spelling errors and typos.

Noaki (Noaki@juno.com)