Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Choose Me ❯ Choose me ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN: This is a re-write of a story by an author who's name I don't remember. I liked the song, the storyline was cute, but it was pretty badly written, and not very in "Ranma style", so I took it upon myself to re-write it! I'm thinking of doing a Ranma part to this… gimme some feedback!

:| Choose Me |:

: I have nothing to offer

nothing worth to give

But you're the only one

that makes me wanna live :

A midnight blue girl sat upon the roof of her dojo, thinking. One can do this often when your life is full of insane events, such as your fiancée being chased by his other three power-hungry fiancées.

...If you can even count the 'Black Rose' as engaged to him.

Now that Akane thought of it, they were all crazy in their own little ways. Was she crazy?

I sure am.

But sometimes… I just wish I stood out from them.

Twirling a small strand of hair, she sighed half-heartedly.

What is the point anyways? If I want to be around him it means I would have to become his friend… but… but if he chose some one else… She shuddered, and tried to block the image of Kodachi in a wedding dress from her mind.

Akane would honor any woman who lived through it with their head held high.

Oh, damn it all.

: I could write you a letter

I could write you a song

I could write you a poem

but they'll be crappy

cus' I wrote them :

Looking up to the sinking sun, she shivered, her eyes cast downwards at the scene below. She could smell the oden Kasumi was cooking, hear the murmur of Nabiki's television program, see a thin line of smoke come up from where her father and Genma were playing that inevitable game of Shogi. She sat, soothed by the sounds of her family, when a small noise caught her attention and brought her back to her train of thought. A newlywed couple walked on the road in front of the wooden gates of the Tendo dojo, laughing and holding hands.

Akane almost wished she was married, then maybe all the madness would stop.

But I know it wouldn't. Even if we were *married*

Sure, she did want to show her interest in guys, but there was always a thought at the back of her mind, telling her that she'd only end up alone and with a broken heart.

Guys.

In truth there was only one boy on her mind, but he seemed to show near to zero interest in her. But what did she care?

Who am I kidding... Ranma will never think of me as his friend… let alone fiancée…

But she remembered Togenkyo, Sanzenin…

"Akane is my fiancée! You touch her and I'll kill you!"

Maybe he did mean it… Nah, that's just Ranma. He'll say and do anything to win a fight.

But he fought for you, a voice at the back of her head said. She shook herself and laughed bitterly.

Yeah right. Even if we were *friends*…

Showing how she felt was the toughest part, so tough that not even her stubborn heart could hold out for long.

That jerk! He's always confusing me… mixing me up… my feelings for him…

She abruptly stopped. Feelings?

Ranma was her fiancée. She did want to be his friend in the beginning.

Friend. That special someone you could tell secrets to, laugh with, joke around with.

Friends.

But it was fate that brought the past to the present, linked to a chain of unfortunate events. Some not so unfortunate.

So she never got the chance to be good friends with him. Not that she cared, actually. After a while she learned to understand him, the way he was… he didn't trust. But even as she did understand him more and more, there was always one thing holding her back.

The fighting never stopped.

Sometimes, it was for plain-as-day fun, which later was turned into rage by one comment or another. The rage friends would share, but yet at the same time.... wouldn't.

It was jealousy, damn jealousy, and she knew it all too well.

What is the way to his heart? Am I the only one who doesn't know? I should ask Ucchan about it, at least she and Ranma are friends. She laughed bitterly.

Hai, friends.

What could she do to be friends with Ranma? She wanted at least to try, even if at the end, he wouldn't choose her. She knew that.

: What do I say

to make you want me?

what do I do

to make you care?

How do I go about

to make me stand out?

so you'll pick me

cus' I want you :

She drove her fist into a loose shingle. It shattered, the dust blowing in the summer breeze.

And what am I? The uncute, tomboy fiancée. If I can say it, fiancée.

There was always Shampoo. The feisty Amazon with a rough exterior and her frisky feline-like determinations. Just like a wild cat, always protective and feminine but angered if rubbed the wrong way. She could cook full course meals, come in handy in a battle, dazzle men with her smooth looks, and make the perfect housewife.

Or pet, whatever.

Shampoo would be an ideal choice as a wife for Ranma.

And he would choose her, if it wasn't for…

Her curse. Akane suppressed a fit of laughter.

If married she married him, then hell would break loose! Ranma would always be in the Neko-ken. And I'm the only one who gets him out of that. She paused, contemplating that.

At least I'd get to see him often enough.

Which would take up a lot of time out of their marriage.

There was also Ucchan. The cute, attractive young woman with many likenesses to Shampoo. She could also cook, be instantly ready for power-filled fights, and charm boys with her cute affections and flirtatious looks.

How could Ukyo be pretty and yet still be a tomboy at the same time?

What does Ukyo have that I don't? She thought stubbornly.

She's way feminine, she's a great cook, she's strong, AND she and Ranma are FRIENDS. the voice at the back of her head said.

Hai, but only friends, and even if he calls her "cute", cute's a word for little girls and puppies. As Ranma had told her repeatedly.

Ukyo had been disguised as a boy for her whole childhood. Yet now she dressed like a woman and got no taunting remarks.

So what's wrong with me? I'm a girl. But he doesn't give one damn about me.

Is that really true? The voice said again.

"Uncute! Tomboy!" the words rang around in her head. She put her hands over her ears, trying to shut him out.

: You say you have nothing to offer

nothing worth to give

You don't think that I can go on

without you and continue to live :

So what can I do to be on his good side?

Help him study? She knew he needed help in school, maybe she could help him work. But before even trying it, Akane knew that it would result in a fight saying he was too stupid to learn. And it would be turned into a challenge, and just as they would be about to spar Shampoo would walk in and glomp on Ranma, and then Ryoga would start yelling death threats at him, and then...

The vicious circle repeats itself.

I just wanna help, I know he suffers for all of that madness...

Maybe some candy? After all, they say that the way to get to a man's heart is through his taste. Akane flinched noticeably at the memory of the Valentine's Day that nearly made her cry when he said he wouldn't accept anything from her. In the end, it turned out OK. That small candy did him well, but his words she kept to herself.

I was just trying to be NICE...

A poem? Yeah right, now I sound like Kuno. Letter? What am I talking about, my words are wasted on him. A proposal of truce or recognition?

Wait, now it sounded like she wanted him to be forced into friendship. Akane didn't want that. She shook her head violently. No, she didn't want that.

Maybe she should stop thinking about him. Nothing would work. She knew better than that.

What do I care?! I'm just a fat un-cute macho tomboy who can't fight!

But she was only trying to be a calm part in his chaotic life...

: You don't want my letter

You don't want my song

You don't want my freaking' poem

You just want to be left alone :

Akane's short hair blew gracefully in the heat of the summer night. Summer had just started three days before, and she thought that for a change, she could make it a beautiful one.

The stars twinkled brighter then they had in a long time, and she didn't grow tired of gazing at every single one. She loved the stars.

But… I wish I wasn't alone.

And she wasn't.

: What do I say

to make you want me?

what do I do

to make you care?

How do I go about

to make me stand out?

so you'll pick me

cus' I want you :

It's only too painfully obvious I want him to be here.

But she didn't want to show it.

Oh, Nabiki was right. I should just tell him how I feel and get it over with.

But are things ever that easy?

And he's nearly DIED who knows how many times. I could lose him. LOSE HIM!

She shuddered.

She'd heard about the women who cried to a stone marking their love's final resting place, knowing there wasn't going to be a tomorrow.

Her father knew how it felt.

She did too.

And the dangers Ranma went through almost everyday....

She could lose him, she knew it too well.

I don't want to visit his grave twice a year.

Thinking about that, friendship almost crossed the line. Would she have the courage to have faith in him no matter what danger he was facing? Or would she leave him to his death, taking him for granted? Faith. Faith was the token for the slot machine of happiness.

Akane used hers when she met Ranma.

It seems I already took that one way ticket.

: What do I say?

what do I do?

How do I go about? :

Idiot. Jerk! Damn baka… but the only guy who gets me to feel… that way. What the heck am I supposed to do about it? I didn't choose to fall in love with him! Ugh, I HATE my life!

Placing her pale face on her frail hands, she cried.

It was all wrong! She did want to be with Ranma! It was just that situation that always tightened that same ole' knot in her heart.

She didn't want to be alone in the end.

Of course, who does?

Akane knew she wasn't a candle lit to his other fiancée's. She never would be. All that she knew was that Akane felt right with Ranma. Embracing him, holding him, even smacking him felt right!

He wouldn't dare pick a wretch like me.... would he?

: What do I say

to make you want me?

what do I do

to make you care?

How do I go about

to make me stand out?

so you'll pick me (please?)

cus' I want you :

It was then Akane felt the presence of another....holding her.

Huh?

His grip tightened, and Akane knew.

She didn't have to turn around to know that the man she loved was the one giving her those particular feelings. She didn't even have to open her eyes, to know, that the man she wanted to be with for eternity was the one who felt the same exact way, for her.

: who?

you.

yeah.

cus' I want you. :

:| : | :