Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Prayer ❯ Numb ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dark Prayer Chapter 4- Numb

By:XZero

Disclaimer:Ranma 1/2 belongs to Rumiko Takahashi, not me, same thing can be said for the song Numb which is the creation of Linkin Park.

Great thanx to Paul, who without, I'd not have been able to give to you my best.

Only a week had passed since the fateful day that Ranma had been given his second "gift". The pendant seemed ancient, the ambient ki the martial artist felt from it was strangely familiar, almost scarily so. It felt so close to the energy he remembered using against Saffron. He could feel it twirling around in his passive aura, floating within it, connecting and building in it.

Today found him training in the Tendo dojo, a kata forming in his movements, echoing his thoughts closely. As he went the pattern began to get erratic, short bursts of angry red escaping and sending him through a blur of motion, ending quickly as he resumed less provoking thoughts. He pondered that battle with the Pheonix King for seemingly the millionth time, the situation striking him as familiar. Something about the power he felt, about the situation itself, facing unimaginable odds, and emerging victorious through sheer determination and skill. He shrugged that feeling off, pushing it back as he re-examined the battle. Best to let that train of thought reveal itself in time, he figured.

Saffron had pushed him to his limits and beyond, and had almost broken him. But Saffron had made a fatal mistake. The pigtailed fighter could only smile sourly every time he remembered that detail of the combat.
"Fatal, yeah, great one Re... Ranma," he grumbled, not catching the slip. Saffron had toyed with him initially, even Ranma remembered that clearly, and there in was his mistake. Playing with an opponent would give them time to prepare for you, they'd get a chance to adapt. It was a lesson Ranma now understood, and realize that continuing to do so against his opponents would cause him to fall similarly.

Newer, more intense training had become necessary, his katas were maintained at top speed, forcing him to learn greater accuracy and increase his endurance. Weighting his clothing until it could bear no more weight to increase his strength and endurance even further, having the side effect of greater speed. His training was brutal, and throughout it the only one to realize it were the few who could sew or watched the books. He struggled for his increasing strengths, his focus had relied on his skill, until realizing that every major battle he'd fought included some special aspect, Saffron had his flames and regenerative capabilities, while Herb had his immense ki stores. Kirin had incredible speed and accuracy, Ryoga, his long lasting rival had endurance and strength to rival the kami. Mousse could produce and use any weapon he found, and improvised ones as well. When he had realized that he began devising these methods, and now his bracers weighed almost as much as Ryoga's umbrella, something not even Akane with her guerilla strength could wield, even with two hands. He fought constantly to maintain the intensity he'd reached. To keep others from noticing, he'd increase his weightload and strain to keep him fast enough to dodge Ryoga's blows which would leave him just about where the other's would assume he was. He snapped back to reality as he misjudged a rebound due to lack of concentration, his reminiscing ended by a harsh trip to the floor. He sood wearily from this, pulling power back into himself, feeling his energies return as he gathered his energy and began again. He'd master this, fear of losing control driving him forward with his patented determination. He went on despite his pain because pain was a friend that Ranma was used too. Since receiving his first gift he had stepped up his training, increasing the weight and strain on his ki, hoping to control this new power growing within, or rather, opening to his awareness, as if it had always been there, but only recently available. Only a few days had passed, but Ranma felt himself begin to reign in the amazing power that he'd foun in the music. It was a slow process nonetheless, but he would not fail. The small part of his mind left to wonder about such things tried to figure out where his amazing new abilities were coming from. He shuddered as one possibility popped to mind. Surely it wasn't the excess power that was caused by the neko-ken. He quickly discarded that dark thought.

He felt that this power was older, and looking back, he could remember using it, even before the Saffron incident, as far back as when he was a child, though not many memories remained of that time. A good deal of his past had been locked away, part of the dark legacy of the cat fist.

He stopped at the end of a particularly difficult kata and sat down, dripping sweat from his long workout. He began to sift through the past, images of fighting, running, and anger. He could see all the things that he'd done 'in the name of the art' and he felt sick at what he saw. He needed to end this, and it would end soon, he swore it to himself silently. Feeling the thought process come to a close he lifted his eyelids and noticed the brilliant silver glow surrounding him. He wanted to feel the sun, to let his muscles enjoy it’s warmth instead of the strain he had been placing them under. Hefting his incredibly heavy shirt over his shoulder, he headed towards the door.

The sun had just begun its blazing journey across this day's sky and with it, the eldest Tendo girl had risen stepping out into the cool air of the morning. He found himself paralyzed watching the eldest daughter with a strange look in his eye. <Kasumi, why haven’t I noticed before,> She was such a pure and simple seeming woman, and indeed she was a woman, disguised as it was by her modest clothing and tidy apron. He could do nothing but marvel at something he had previously overlooked, maybe it was an epiphany, maybe he'd grown up a little, he didn't know, and neither does the author.

Kasumi was by nature an early riser, she had trained herself to be. She needed to be, for if she was to do all the chores around the house, except for those that Ranma had undertaken some months ago, than she would need very greatly the time and quiet of the morning to get the majority of the housework done, to give her ample time to construct dinner. Currently she was hanging the wash that she'd done the night before, particularly a load of sheets. The breeze was getting steadily stronger, and the hazy fog that clung to the ground was not a good indicator for it clearing up any time soon. A sudden and strong gust of wind pulled the ribbon she used to tie her ponytail free, tearing the sheet in her hands away from her as she instinctively raised her hands to grasp at the string. She immediately began to chase after the sheet, hoping to keep it from getting dirty again. The fog was detrimental to this cause, however, and just as soon as she was chasing the sheet, she wished dearly that she'd not. The eldest Tendo daughter felt her foot collide with something, and than felt herself tumble forward, she prepared herself for the assuredly painful collision with the ground, screwing her eyes shut.

The pain never came; instead she felt the warmth of someone else's body. Not opening her eyes she reached up toward her savior and felt around for their face. Her hands danced across a flat chest that was bare, <Male, well defined...> her hands went upward, <...light amounts of hair on the chin and face> She screamed out as she felt the rush of air and the lack of gravity momentarily, still in the arms of her rescuer. Finally her hands found what she had been looking for, <...a pigtail?> Her mind whirled and ground to a halt as she opened her eyes quickly as she looked into the soulful blue-greys of her handsome hero, "Ranma?" She questioned softly, eyes widening as she made the connection, and felt gravity reapply.

Ranma hadn't realized what he was doing until he had reached the edge of the koi pond and had Kasumi lifted into his arms, she'd been about to hit her head *really* hard, but he'd fixed that, sliding beneath her fall with more speed than even he realized he bounded upward, halting his forward momentum with flair only the heir to the Anything Goes could manage. He had felt her hand roaming over his chest and to his face, but at the end he looked down into Kasumi's opening eyes and smiled, knowing he'd done well. "Ranma?" He nodded slightly as they neared the ground, and with ease born of practice, concentrated his energy and slowed as he was touching down, that's when he heard the other scream, and it was indeed one that pissed him off.

Akane had risen this early for her mornig jog, something she'd done for the last several years. Each morning she'd dress in some sweat clothes and go out, jogging for 2 miles and return. She'd just finished dressing and was closing her bedroom door when she heard her eldest sister scream out in fear, abandoning reason, which she seemed to be infamous for doing, she dashed for the door, leaping down the stairs, and skidding to a halt at the door to the backyard when she stopped and saw something horrifying, Ranma was up in the air, holding Kasumi to him, her hair loose and flapping in the cool wind. Rage built within her, that pervert must have grabbed Kasumi! Akane's strange mindset allowed her to come to the odd conclusion that he had grabbed Kasumi in an attempt to take advantage of her and in her struggles her hair came undone, she must have screamed because she wanted her sister to save her, because she knew that her younger sister was the best martial artist around. "Ranma no Baka!" She yelled as she hefted a war hammer and charged the young fighter, heedless of the fact that Kasumi was cradled in his arms. She brought the hammer to bear and started with the down stroke, this would teach the baka hentai.

"Shikyo Hana!!!" Ranma flared in a blue corona of power that encased him and his passenger. Akane’s mallet construct had only exploded back at her from her attempt to brain the Saotome heir, protected by his defensive aura. His features twisted into a snarl that seemed so unlike him in Kasumi's opinion as she felt herself being set down from the comfort of his solid warm embrace.

"Fool!" Ranma raged, setting Kasumi gently down, making sure she could stand on her own before returning his attention to the tomboy. Ranma's eyes narrowed, a snarl indicating the rage which was becoming visible on his features. "You disgusting whelp, you'd put your own sister in danger to wrongfully attack me?" Everyone peered out their windows, awakened by the explosion and nightmarish feeling emanating from the enraged Ranma. Their fears were solidified as a corona of blue fire radiated from a shadowed form whom even Nabiki, untrained as she was, could tell to be Ranma standing on the lawn. They could hear the crackle of the energy racing all around him, arcing off of him to strike the ground as lightning, not at all like his usual spread aura. This aura bloomed upward like a bonfire, swirling in deadly beauty which threatening to engulf them all. For a minute Nabiki considered grabbing a fire extinguisher, but noticed the blue ki-flames didn't seem to be consuming him, rather that it was him. Soun and Genma stared out, both afraid to do anything and afraid to not do something. They decided, in a moment only to be described as an epiphany, to let it play out as it would. After all, how would two aging martial artists who hid from a gnome stand against a walking bonfire of ki-flame.

"If you wish a fight with someone worthy of your skill, go pick a fight with kitten." He smirked and turned away from Ms. Martial Artist, to Kasumi, who had lost her footing on the slick grass as she backed away from what she thought would be another fight. "Are you okay?" He asked softly, the fire around him receding into his form. Kasumi could only nod dumbly as he helped her up, knowing that once again this young man had managed to break her mask with his displays of skill.

Akane twitched in anger, her rage had built immensely, not only was the jerk showing off, but he had done the unspeakable. He'd ignored her, treated her as if she weren't worth his time, and was flirting with her sister, paying attention to someone else.

<I'll show that jerk not to take me lightly.> She swore internally as she growled and charged him again, hefting a similar war hammer to the one before. She aimed her weapon to strike toward Ranma's head, since when had he been able to dodge her before anyways? She mused, as the judgment of heaven was brought downward.

The pigtailed fighter felt the energy buildup, the blue fire sprung to life once more. He turned his head so that he was facing her. ”If you feel you wish to die, than prepare yourself for hell." His aura suddenly pulled back into his form. With a neutral expression, he called out, "Munashii Zenkai".

The human eye can only track so fast. No one noticed him move, no one was strong enough to follow him. Akane's blind charge continued until she suddenly stopped just inches from striking Kasumi with her two-handed swing. Ranma appeared near the house, his back turned to the situation, his undershirt reduced to small strips of cloth and his pants in tatters, barely letting him retain his modesty, and managing to leave only his necklace unscathed.

"Three...two...one." The Anything Goes heir stated calmly. Upon the count of one Akane flew backward, and stopped in the air, her body contorting in odd positions as she was pummeled by what seemed to be a ghost. Just as quickly as the brutal phantom started its assault, the entire thing ended with Akane lying in a heap of ruined clothing, and a humiliating number of bruises that spelled out a large variety of embarrassing things about the youngest Tendo.

The idiot's two were about to start on their rants but couldn't find the words, they couldn't muster themselves to argue against the obvious, even they could learn, and today they indeed learned that Ranma could no longer be manipulated.

Nabiki learned this same lessen and to herself thought <Thank goodness Ranma, I never thought you'd grow up enough and get over those silly ideas your father put into you.> She knew that she'd alienated the pigtailed man, but even more she knew that she'd done something that she'd be proud of, she helped Ranma to escape his prison of false honor, she'd shone him the realities of the world and now he'd deal with it in his own way.

Kasumi stared at the sight before, She'd known of Akane's violent tendencies, just never thought that she'd let her anger allow her to be so blinded that she'd hurt her family or an innocent bystander. She was ashamed that she'd allowed this to go on, and horrendously angry at her father who'd never done a thing as Akane's sensei to correct this mistake. <What about Ranma finally fighting back? No one here is used to a warrior, who has sworn to protect. Compared to a Martial Artist who learns only to improve themself.> She thought solemnly to herself as she watched the goings on.

The martial artist who was known as 'god slayer' to the Amazons, Musk, and Phoenix people alike stood tall, his angry expression visible and plain. He looked around letting himself relax, redoubling the grasp of his internal energies after that instant, before turning to Kasumi.

"Kasumi, go get my mother, and take Nabiki with you, things are about to get messy." He stated simply as he adjusted the belt her wore, and removed his undershirt entirely,not that pulling the ribbons of fabric off of him was any mean feat. Next he tossed the heavy tunic toward the compound wall, a small crater forming in the dirt from its landing. He just turned around calmly, and waited for the expected disaster, not giving any indication of what he'd meant.

Kasumi, nodded simply, trusting enough in the pigtailed guardian to follow his instructions without question. She and ran into the house, amazingly quickly despite her lack of training. "Nabiki, please come with me, we need to go get Aunty." She called out as she put on her shoes and removed her apron. Nabiki was downstairs quickly, moving with a speed she'd never displayed before. The two sisters rushed out of the house and out of the gate, quickly heading toward the house in Nerima that Nodoka had bought, afraid that wasting any time would cause something bad to happen.

Nodoka Saotome had always found joy in gardening, and spent at least an hour in her garden every day in the mornings, before she headed out to do whatever it was she needed to do. She was currently pulling the weeds that had sprouted in her roses (Not sure if anyone can really afford to let these grow in Japan considering the cost of land) at least until she heard the front gate opening. She stood and brushed the dirt from her work pants, kimonos weren't suited for the labor involved with her gardening, finished with this she went around front to the front door, where she saw the two elder Tendo sisters knocking frantically.

“Can I help you dears?" she asked, wondering why they would come. Nabiki and Kasumi whirled around, and in short order came to tell Nodoka what was going on at the Tendo house. "No... It couldn't be, then, this changes things entirely, we must hurry. If he's used the Void Armageddon, then there is no time to spare." She said sagely, but the other two women could not understand what connection Ranma's mother had with his behavior as of late.Worry was desperately obvious in her features. Kasumi could not help but to sadly nod her head.

"Yes aunty, but what does this have to do with Ranma's warning, or that he is acting strangely?" Still wondering why this was going on.

Nodoka didn't answer; she just rushed into her home, and upstairs.

"What was that all about?" Nabiki wondered aloud, walking into the house to wait for the older woman to return. She looked around the living room area of the home, it was nicely, however sparse, furnished. Kasumi, in the meanwhile, was doing the same, noticing that several things in the room were odd, such as a pair of bracers and a katana that were displayed on a mantle above what appeared to be several musical instruments. Then something that she deemed as strange occurred to her, these instruments were not only mostly western, but they and the bracers and blade all shared a common feature, the same yang symbol on all of them could be found on Ranma's new necklace. But he'd said that he had found it, unconvincingly of course, but all the same that is what he'd said.

"Come on girls, we'd better go." She collected the bracers and sword from the wall, and ran out the door, followed by Nabiki, and then Kasumi, who closed the door behind her. <How could this be happening, grandfather couldn't have been right about Ranma, could he? No, it's just a legend and it has nothing to do with my son. But if it is true, will I be able to say goodbye to my little boy again?> But her thoughts were drowned out as they saw the Tendo Dojo in the distance, sounds of combat emanating from the property, and...


...then the explosion.

***Earlier***

Ranma watched as Kasumi and Nabiki left, and felt as the others were arriving, "Grand Finale" He spoke, and the music started up, this time with another song by the American band, Linkin Park. He felt let go of his restraints once more. Feeling the energy surround him, he looked towards the usual suspects as they approached?

"Saotome prepare to die!" <Pigboy and Duckboy>

"Airen, time to be proper groom." <Shampoo>

"Ranma, honey, you better start acting like a husband should." <Ucch...Ukyo>

"Time to go back to China Son-in-law." <The old ghoul>

"Ranma, m'boy, how about you comfort an old man?" <The old freak>

"Die foul sorcerer <Kuno>

"Ranma darling, it is time you got rid of these base court hussies and declared your love for me." <Psycho-bitch>

The two masters of the anything-goes disappeared from his senses, hiding most likely, Ranma thought, he knew they'd show up once they thought he was off guard, it was without doubt.

He was sure that this collection of freaks, weirdoes, and all around martial artists were the only ones needed for the final act.

"You have all long wanted me for your own devices, defeat me now and I'll grant your wish." Ranma looked each of them with years of emotions finally released. "This shall now be the final act, those who are defeated will never trouble me again, for I have no desire for any of your deaths, and that is assuredly the outcome of persisting in this fruitless endeavor." This was beginning to scare the fiancées, Ranma'd never hurt them, would he? No, he was just kidding about that part, right? They were unsure, but they would beat him, if it meant that'd make him theirs...

This entire scene was taken in by the cloaked woman, her only feature visible the broad smile on her lips, <Finally, he's done it, unlocked the final key. Soon Reiko, soon we'll be together again, and I won't be alone ever again.>

TBC...

Techniques Translation:
Shikyo Hana: While the name resembles the move by Iori Yagami from SNK's King of Fighters, this move is completely different, the user summons up their battle aura and focuses it into an attack, basically it is an aura flare, if you want a mental picture, think about the powerup effect dbz characters have on the ground, that's basically what it does, push things away very forcefully, it also has the effect that a ki blast has on other things charged with ki. Anywayz, it means Death Blossom

Munashii Zenkai: This move is basically the ulimate Amaguriken style move, while the amaguriken involves just punches, this floods the users body with ki, making them effectively move entirely at amaguriken speeds, of course, this increases in difficulty and speed the more energy one puts into it.

I'd like to pre-emptively address the marks left on Akane by Ranma, in the beginning of the series he does the same to Kuno with one touch, that Kuno never felt. So imagine a year after he faces off against and *kills a god,* it ain't hard to imagine him doing unholy amounts of damage, or instead leaving her unconscious with her body covered in insults with moderate damage.