Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny of the Magi ❯ Everybody likes Kung-Fu fighting! ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ranma sat in the middle a meadow in the middle of the forest, cross-legged.

<To attain a high level of mastery in the art, you must be attuned to your own body, your own mind, and your own soul.>

Ranma breathed out slowly as he continued to meditate.

<After you have reached a state of total balance, you will understand your movements so you may master the art.>

"Mind, body, and soul... All are ONE!" Ranma's eyes snapped open and like the air, he flows into an explosion of movements.

"HA! HIYA!"

<Boy! You don't do a Kata like a set of movements! You must live it! FEEL IT! Now, DO IT!>

Ranma stumbled. "Dad was right... I'm trying too hard. I always do."

The teen sighed and stared up. "Maybe I can ask Soun to help me with this. It's not Anything goes, but Soun IS a master of an art, he should be able to help me with a kata."

"RANMA! BREAKFAST!"

"COMING!"

"Winds of truth, reveal the light."

The meadow and the forest surrounding Ranma flickered and slowly faded to reveal the living room.

"I don't get it, why do you insist on practicing Martial arts? You should just concentrate on one art and keep to it." Kikori said shaking her head while holding to two plates of pancakes.

Ranma grinned, "I'm the best, that's why"

"Just like you to be Egotistical."

The pig-tailed boy frowned, "I am NOT Egotistical ya prissy girl!" Ranma used his fork to fork up a whole pancake and shoved it in his mouth, "I love the pancakes ya make."

Kikori kept a neutral expression, "I'll let that prissy girl comment slide this time, just because you said my pancakes are good."

"Just speakin' the truth." Ranma said as he finished off the last pancake, "Hey I want to go to the Tendo's house today, wanna come?"

Kikori shook her head no, "We're getting some stuff from the mage tower for our shop."

"I wonder what junk they're sending this time." Ranma said sipping on a glass of orange juice.

"I heard they're sending in some teleportation markers and teleportation wands so we can sell them in a set."

Ranma just shook his head in wonder, "They still can't figure out why that long distance talking spell doesn't work?"

"Nope."

"Great... still need to pay for the cell phone."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Act 1: Chapter 3

Everybody likes Kung-fu fighting!

Ranma yawned as he over saw the renovation of their to be magic shop in process.

"Man, just when ya think school is boring."

"Oh great the end of the world is near." Kikori said in her plain voice.

"Love ya sarcasm Kikori," Ranma yawned again, "but the world is better off wit out it."

Kikori rolled her eyes, "School is in session you know, maybe you should head over the Tendo's for that martial arts training."

Ranma grinned, "have I ever told you that I love ya Kikori?"

"No, and I don't want to know." Kikori turned away from the pig-tailed mage and walked away.

Ranma continued to grin and shook his head, "Prissy as always."

"I HEARD THAT!"

************************************************************** *********

Knock Knock Knock

Kasumi blinked as she heard few knocks from the front door

<Are we expecting someone?>

KNOCK KNOCK

"COMING!" the eldest Tendo sister rushed to the front door and opened it to find Ranma with his cloak standing in front of her.

"Hi, umm, Tendo Kasumi right?"

Kasumi smiled and nodded, "What can I do for you?"

"Well, I was wondering if your father is available right now?"

"Oh my." Kasumi blinked, "Wait one moment please."

"FATHER!"

Soun walked lazily towards the front door, "What is it Kasumi?"

"Ahem" Ranma cleared his throat.

"Ah young man, what can I do for you?"

"Mr.Tendo, I... I wish... umm... I want you to help me with this set of Katas I've been working on." Ranma stuttered.

Soun frowned, "I thought you are a mage?"

Ranma frowned, "I also said I am a martial artist when we first met."

"Ah, true." Soun said thoughtfully. "Ah where are my manners, come in please."

Ranma nodded politely and followed Soun into the living room. "About the help I want."

"Yes, hmm." Soun paused in consideration for a while, "I haven't taught in a long while but I think I can help you in correcting your mistakes but that is as much as I can do until I start working out again."

Ranma smiled, "That's all I want."

************************************************************** *********

"Ranma, if you are to get this Kata right, you mustn't think!" Soun said firmly, "This is one of the Katas that Anything goes is based on, I am extremely familiar with it. No practicer of Anything goes doesn't know it."

Ranma licked his dry lips and looked up to Soun, "But this is from Shao Lin all the way in China..."

Soun chuckled, "Yes, I know. This set of Katas are one of the many forms that created the original Anything goes that was created by my master." Soun shivered as he said the last word, "We just added to it making it seemingly it's own unique school not based on anything."

Ranma breathed out slowly, "Ok, let's try this again."

<I'm going ta get it right THIS time!>

Soun shook his head, "You're still trying too hard."

"But I haven't even started yet..."

Soun frowned, "That is not what matters, it's your state of mind." The Elder man walked towards Ranma and gestured for him to sit, "To practice ANY form of art, you must not think in order to perform to your potential, you must learn the movements then move with your feeling."

"But-"

"No Ranma, go to the living room and have some tea, we'll stop for now."

Ranma sighed disappointingly and walked of.

<So much like his Mother, never give up, never stop until it's perfect. Along with that the same passion for the art as his Father, if not more. It's a pity that he doesn't practice the Art in it's truest form.>

Soun sighed, "WAAAAHHHHHHHH WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO LIKE THAT MY OLD FRIEND! WHY! WAAAAAHHHHHHHH."

"Oh my, I need to mop up the dojo again." Kasumi said and grabbed a mop from out of nowhere as Ranma sweatdropped hearing the older man bawling his eyes out.

<And I thought he's supposed to be mature, at least more mature than me...>

************************************************************** *********

"I'm HOME!"

"Welcome back Akane," Kasumi greeted her younger sister warmly, "Is Nabiki with you today?"

Akane shook her head tiredly, "Nope, she's doing something in school."

"That's nice." Kasumi said with her ever-present smile and continued to sweep the sidewalk.

"-did you become a mage?"

"Me? I'm not too sure actually, it just happened I guess."

<Huh? That voice... THE MAGE!>

Akane dashed towards the living room to see her father and the mage sitting on either side of the table drinking tea.

"Well, I guess I became one just like all the others, the tower saw me and sense potential and then signed me up or somethin' ya know."

"Was your-"

"My father was dead when I got picked up."

"I see... I was wondering why you even got into the tower in the first place." Soun took a sip of his tea.

<... how long has he been a mage?>

"Dad?"

Akane's father turned his head and nodded to greet his daughter.

"Ah, Akane, I see you've return from school."

"Umm, yeah."

Akane cast a glance towards the boy, "Um, I'm going to put my stuff back in my room."

"Why don't you join us afterwards."

"Sure..."

************************************************************** *********

Ranma took another sip of his tea. <This is the first time I've actually ever mentioned my family to anyone, well except for Kikori where I let slip a few times...>

"I have an idea, why don't you spar with my daughter!" Soun exclaimed.

"Huh?"

Soun smiled, "I want to see what level you are at in the Arts."

Ranma reached back and pulled at his pigtail, "Umm, that would be quite impossible..."

Soun frowned, "Why's that?"

The young mage tugged at his pigtail a bit harder and bit his lips, "Well-"

"So you think I'm not good enough for you?" Akane suddenly burst in from the stairs.

"NONONO!!! It's not that!"

"Then what is it!"

"It's just that ya can't really tell what skill I'm at `cause if I use my style to the fullest, I'll be using magic too!"

"Well who told you to use magic!"

Ranma smirked, "I've incorporated Martial Arts into my casting of spells, and I guess you can say that if ya really want me ta spar with my full skill I would have ta use magic too since a lot of my skill does come from magic."

Soun frowned deepened, "But if you use magic, isn't that no longer sparring?"

"How do ya suppose we practice magic?" Ranma asked innocently.

"Well would you demonstrate what you can do then?" Soun asked curiously.

"Sure... why don't we go to that empty lot a few houses down."

Ranma said as he stood up.

"Ahh.. A mage in action, I've always wanted to see one." Soun smiled.

"It's not as impressive as you think." Ranma said matter-of-factly.

************************************************************** *********

Akane stood as she listened to Ranma, <Incorporated Martial arts... not the other way around... he isn't a martial artist is he. But he knows it; doesn't that mean that he is one? But he isn't. So am I one?> Akane scoffed at the last thought, <Of course I am! I beat Kuno everyday, I bet I can beat him too!>

"I want to watch too!" Akane said with a hint of excitement in her voice.

"Hope I'm not starting a show with this." Ranma said outloud.

<Egotistical jerk!> Akane sniffed as she followed Ranma to where the empty lot is.

"Stay out of the lot, watch from the street ok?" Ranma warned.

"..."

Then it began. It started innocently, basic Anything goes form that Akane has learned even when she was six years old, but as she watched more closely, she noticed that not only was Ranma going through this basic kata, he was murmuring something.

<Spells, he's casting spells as he does his kata.> Ranma jumped backwards with his left palm open behind him. <Wait! That isn't part of the Ka->

WHOOSH

A near invisible crescent shaped magical blade appeared as Ranma `chopped' upwards with his hand which he quickly brought beside his chest with fingers pointing downwards.

<Now what?>

The pig-tailed boy did a roundhouse kick and few quick jabs with right fist and then thrusts his left palm out creating a green ball that shoots forward from his palm.

<His doing all the chanting while he's jumping around and kicking and punching!> Akane watched fascinated.

"Interesting, casting spells while doing a modified version of the basic Anything goes Kata." Soun observed.

Akane ignored her father's comments as she continue to watch the boy in the empty lot continue to move around it. Green blades and balls flew everywhere during the kata demolishing the ground and creating holes and cuts in it.

"andisummonthe WINDS OF DEATH!" Ranma shouted and finishes his kata with an uppercut. For a mere moment, nothing happened, but suddenly winds gather towards Ranma's fist creating a whirlwind around his whole arm. "AAAHHHHHH!" Ranma thrust his hand out towards the cement tubes on the side of the lot throwing the wind around his arm towards it.

<He, he can do that with the most basic kata...> Akane frowned, <How can I match with that?>

"Very impressive young man!" Soun congratulated Ranma, "And you did this all by yourself?"

Ranma chuckled and scratched the back of his neck nervously, "Not really, I had help from some people."

"Still very impressive, I wonder what you can do with the more advanced Katas?" Soun wondered.

Ranma shook his head, "The only spells I can cast while doing the advanced Katas are for some reason the more advanced wind spells. I guess it's because of less hand gestures and more words and concentration."

"I see, you ever tried?"


"Yes I have actually, but not advanced anything goes though so I wouldn't know." Ranma turned towards Akane, "Now do you see why we can't spar? We practice something completely different, while you practice the art completely; I do half-and-half. So if I we're to really spar, you'd get hurt, but if I limit myself to just martial arts moves, then I'd probably lose to you in less then twenty seconds."

Akane smiled a little, <He's got me beating him in less than twenty seconds right!>

"All right."

"Great!" Ranma smile, "After all I don't want to send you to the hospital after we really spar now would we."

Akane glared at Ranma, "you IDIOT!"

"OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

************************************************************** *********

"That voice... RANMA!" the figure grinned, "Now where is he..."

************************************************************** *********

"You big baby, just one more scratch." Kikori smiled inwardly as she tended to Ranma's wounds from Akane's assault, "You should really watch what you say you know."

"It's not MY fault she can't take what I say." Ranma winced as disinfectant was applied to his wounds, "Can't you just use magic or something!"

Kikori huffed and placed her hands on her hips, "Are you saying I'm no good at this!"

Ranma gulped, "No no! You're an excellent medic! And even if ya not a priestess you'd turn into a beautiful and talented doctor!"

Kikori smiled slightly, "Just because you said I'm beautiful."

"I never said ya beautiful, I just said you'd turn beautiful if you're a doctor but now ya just gonna turn inta one of those wrinkly old priestess over at the China mage tower." Ranma said with a smirk.

Kikori growled and pressed the cotton ball harder against his scratches, "You REALLY need to learn what to say and what not to."

"Heh, with the way ya growling, I'm sure you'll turn wrinkly!" Ranma commented before Kikori hit Ranma's head.

"Shush you."

Ranma just grinned, "You know I'm getting that weird feeling again."

Kikori frowned, "You mean the one when..."

"Yep."

The green haired girl sighed, "I better get more medical supplies for later."

"You do that." Ranma said with a sigh. <Sometimes, I think Kikori knows me too well, maybe...>

************************************************************** *********

"Yes, we'll be stopping school... yes I know, you just have to check Ranma and my own school records... ^Sigh^ yes yes, I know..." Kikori starts to lose control but Ranma quickly grabs the phone.

"Look, I'm from the mage tower I'm thinkin that ya know that right? Look I have the mage tower supportin me and Kikori is wit me ok? Good enough for you?" Ranma rolled his eyes, "NO I would not reconsider! YES IT IS KUNO! WHATEVER YOU WANT! JUST LET ME OUT OF THE SCHOOL!"

Kikori stared at Ranma as he slammed the phone down on its stand, "Wow that was intense."

Ranma panted and turned to Kikori with a cocky grin, "That's the way ya do it."

The green haired girl giggled, "Idiot."

"Hey!" Ranma huffed, "Well, do ya want to be the cashier this time?"

Kikori thought for a moment, "No thanks, I've had enough people hitting on me the last time we did this."

Ranma grinned and said in a deep voice, "Oh why don't you cast a love spell on me and we can go to my place and you know."

Kikori blushed and replied in a shrilly voice, "Oh you can use those unbreakable rope on me anytime."

"Maybe we should stop." Ranma said turning the TV on.

Kikori nodded and sat on the couch by Ranma, "Have you ever thought that we've been together for too long?"

Ranma turned his head and shrug, "I dunno, the old men upstairs doesn't disagree."

"Don't talk about the elders like that."

"Hey, I'm just tellin' the truth." Ranma slumped down, "Ya know, come to think about it, all the other mages switch partners from time to time, we're the only ones that haven't been switched for over five years. That's not counting the years in the tower we trained together and the odd ball third partner that we get once in a while."

Kikori eye's widen, "Your right... I wonder why?

Kikori sat in silence, <Ranma's right... why hasn't the Council gave me and Ranma another partner?>

"Hey Ranma."

"Shhhh! I'm trying to watch the show." Ranma waved his hand at Kikori's face as he continues to watch the television.

Kikori sighed, <I'll ask another time.>

"Stupid commercials, is there a TV god Kikori?" Ranma asked, "If there is, is there any chance if ya can be convertin'?"

Kikori glared at Ranma, "Are you sure you want that Ranma? I mean who would heal you every time you get into trouble?"

Ranma whimpered under the Kikori glare of fury.

"That's what I thought." Kikori grabbed the control and switched to a show she likes.

"HEY! I was watching that!" Ranma reached for the remote.

"RANMA! I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!"

Ranma froze.

Kikori froze.

"Didja hear what I heard?"

Kikori nodded.

"That's what I thought." Ranma turned his head slowly towards the window.

"RANMA! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!"

"Well here goes." Ranma shrugged and headed towards the front door.

Kikori took a first aid kit and looked through it's content, "Looks like another day of using magic, goddess, forgive me for using your power like this."

************************************************************** *********

"RANMAAAAAA!"

"RYOGAAAAAA!"

The two boys grinned from ear to ear before shouting together, "PREPARE TO GET BEATEN TO OBLIVION!" before jumping towards each other.

******* Half an hour later *******

"I don't get why you two have to beat each other senseless each time you see." Kikori sighed as she prepared to cast another spell.

Ryoga, who is sitting beside a bruised up Ranma was preparing to be healed by Priestess, winced as Kikori checked over his cuts for infection, "We just do it because it's fun and I need to show Ranma who's the best!"

Ranma snorted, "Yeah right, then how come every time I beat you?"

Ryoga just grinned, "That's `cause you have her!"

Ranma frowned, "I'm going to get a drink."

"You're not going anywhere before I heal you Ranma!" Kikori said, "Now stay quiet so I can call my goddess for help."

"Fine."

************************************************************** *********

"So I guess your going to challenge me to a duel?" Ranma said matter of factly as he and Ryoga sat on the roof of the house.

"Yep."

"Why don't ya stay around, you can help around in the shop."

Ryoga thought for a moment, "Really? Thanks."

Ranma smiled, "Great!"

"Well I'm going to sleep and we'll open the shop tomorrow."

Ranma snickered, "In case ya haven't noticed, the shop won't be opened until three days later, it's still under renovation."

Ryoga blushed, "Well, I didn't noticed."

Ranma watched as Ryoga jumped from the roof and entered the house, <I'll beat him this time... without her!>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Well and that is chapter three and the appearance of Ryoga! What kinda mage is he going to be? Well you can find out next chapter. For those of you who are wondering about why Ranma and Ryoga are friendly with one another, you'll find out soon enough. And finally! Who is this `her' that Ryoga said that helped Ranma in his fights so much! Well you won't find out till later.

Anyway enough of story promoting, this chapter I'm going for a lighter tone and I'm also revealing Ranma's competitive side and his stubborn side just to keep him Ranma and not some author enhanced Ranma that knows how to handle all situations. But unlike the canon Ranma, he does know how to compliment people even if he doesn't really like them, but only if it's true. Of course Kikori is a special cast because he's been with her for quite a while and you can say there are closer than normal friends are... (Well after few life-threatening episodes with a person, even if they hate the other person, they'll at least trust each other.)

As for Akane, I really don't know how to portrait her. In the Manga, she's always extremely competitive and if a person insults her even slightly, even if it's someone that she doesn't know well, she'll still go in an angry blaze. But she's not a complete violent maniac... I'm just confused about her, so if you have comments on her behavior I'll be glad to accept even if it's a flame saying I have Akane all wrong

-,-

Then of course there's Ryoga. Personally, I have NO idea what he would be like if he were nice to Ranma. Sure there are fics out there where Ryoga and Ranma is all buddy buddy, but I don't want to copy them. I want this Ryoga to be unique so I'm changing Ranma and Ryoga's relationship a bit. I hope it's a unique change (well with all the Ranma fics out there, I seriously doubt that...) but you'll see their relationship in the next few chapters.

Hopefully I'm doing a good job keeping Ranma Ranma. I just hate to change a character for no reason at all. Unless I really don't like them and want to bash them =p Back to my point, any comments? Suggestion? (No pairing suggestion please, I have pairings in mind already so please, don't make my life hard and all and beg for R/A or R/S or R/U or R/K (take that `K' as whoever you want) or whatever!) Or Flames? Please e-mail me or put them on the review!

Final thing, I'd like to thank the people that has given me suggestions on my writing! THANK YOU! Please keep reading and reviewing if you like it and I'll keep writing even if no one reads it ^^