Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Fugue ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ranma stared at the ruins of the dojo and sighed. How could Nabiki have let things get so far out of hand? Ok, granted, she couldn't have known Ukyou and Shampoo would go insane and start throwing exploding food around, but it was obvious something would happen with the people she 'invited'—and with that bunch, any trouble tended to end in mass destruction. He shook his head. He really didn't mind that he and Akane hadn't gotten married—they were still pretty young—but innocent people could have been hurt. And then there was the cost to rebuild the dojo—Nabiki must have taken in a lot of money, but would it be more than the extensive repairs would cost? Further musing was interrupted by the sound of approaching weeping.
“My beautiful dojo,” sobbed Soun, as he came to stand beside Ranma.
“It's all right, Mr. Tendou,” soothed Ranma, who was just glad the man next to him was no longer lamenting the failure of the wedding. “We'll rebuild it just as good as before.”
“Yes... I know. It just holds so many memories, and seeing it like this...” sighed Soun as he finally started to bring his weeping under control.
“Hey, don't worry—me an' pop will help out and we'll have it back together in no time.”
Soun looked at Ranma in surprise. “It's good of you to offer, son, but we should just call the construction company. They do good work, and with the punishment this place takes, I'd feel more comfortable with a professional job.”
“But won't that be awfully expensive?”
“Probably, but in a situation like this, money is no object,” replied Soun confidently. He noticed Ranma seemed rather uncomfortable. “What's wrong, Ranma? Is there a problem with hiring someone to—Ahh, I think I understand... Don't trouble yourself, son—we're quite well off monetarily. Your concern speaks well of you, though.”
“You are?” asked Ranma incredulously. “But you don't work or teach—” He broke off, blushing with embarrassment.
Soun smiled affectionately and shook his head. “My wife was a remarkable woman. When little Kasumi was on the way, she made some incredible investments that have paid out so well that our family will never have to worry about money.” His expression hardened somewhat. “Of course, we maintain a modest lifestyle—one just needs to look at the Kunous to see what a life of excess brings.”
Ranma just stared at the man. “I-Investments...” he repeated softly. Shaking himself, he said aloud, “I see... Excuse me, Mr Tendou, but I need to talk to someone.” Soun just nodded, lost in reminiscence of the woman he loved more than life itself.
*
Ranma glared at the girl lounging on the bed in front of him. He'd come into her room a few minutes ago and had been too angry to say anything to her. Maybe his furious stare would make Nabiki realize just how far she'd pushed him.
“You know, with all the fiancées you have, you really shouldn't start gazing at other girls. I am flattered, though, Saotome. Sort of.” Maybe not.
“I had a little talk with your father,” Ranma spat. “Care to guess what he said?”
“'Waah! My little girl will never get married and the schools won't be joined!'” Nabiki sobbed in an eerily accurate impression of her father.
“Uh, no...” said Ranma, somewhat taken aback by Nabiki's performance. “That was this morning after breakfast. No, just now he told me that you guys are rich!”
Nabiki arched an eyebrow. “Thanks for coming to me so quickly with that information, but I already knew. Is that all?”
“Damn it, Nabiki! You've been taking money from me for months to support your family, and now I find out they don't need it! That's low, even for you.”
“Is that so? Do you happen to remember just what I said the day you came into my room and accused my family of being a charity case?” Nabiki nodded as Ranma shifted uneasily. “That's right—I told you we were doing just fine. And then you threw money at me and basically called me a liar to my face. When you refused to take your money back I said I'd keep it, but it wouldn't be for household expenses.” She glared at Ranma, who now looked rather embarrassed. “So, what the hell are you complaining about?!”
Deciding a good offense was the best defense, Ranma fired back, “I don't know... could it be your taking advantage of me, your sister, me, everyone else in Nerima, and did I mention, me? It was one thing when I thought you needed to, but now that I know you're just doing it so you can live in the lap of...” Ranma waved his arm to indicate the luxury of the room and paused as he failed to find any. Puzzled, he opened the wardrobe and peered inside.
“Saotome...” growled Nabiki warningly.
Ranma scratched his head as he found only an unremarkable amount of clothing, none of it looking new or expensive. “Where else would she keep stuff?” he wondered. Inspiration struck him, causing him to turn and stick his head under the bed.
“Oh, hi, Akane,” Nabiki drawled.
“It's not what it looks like!” Ranma yelped as he tried to jump up and cracked the back of his head on the bed frame. Groaning, he pulled his head from beneath the bed and turned around. No Akane, and the door was still closed. He turned back to Nabiki, only to find her face an inch from his own. He noted that she didn't look happy.
“What do you think you're doing?” she demanded in a low voice, pausing between each word.
Ranma swallowed and backed up a little. “What do you do with all the money you make? If you don't spend it for your family or on yourself, where does it go?”
“That's personal and none of your business. Now, get the hell out of my room or you'll rue the day I was born.”
Ranma got.
*
Ranma jumped down from the fence he'd been walking along. “Hey, Akane, why's Nabiki so big on making money? I mean, she doesn't seem to ever spend any.”
Akane was surprised be the question for a moment but then decided it was understandable after the wedding. “I don't really know. About five years ago, she just suddenly seemed to become obsessed with making money. Whenever we asked her what she needed it for, she'd say it was personal.”
Ranma pondered the situation as he walked. Could it be drugs? Nah, he couldn't picture Nabiki doing that. Blackmail? He suddenly had a mental image of a nervous Nabiki handing a wad of yen to a yakuza thug. A moment later, that was replaced by the much more believable image of a nervous yakuza thug presenting Nabiki with a wad of yen. With a snort, he decided he'd just have to play detective and find out for herself. Herself? A look down confirmed that she was indeed female. She glanced around to see the little old lady with the ladle, obliviously splashing her walkway. She did her best to ignore the giggling Akane beside her.