Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Hardships ❯ Chapter 1: The Gathering ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimers:

- Ranma belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

- This story is made for fun and is meant for the enjoyment of the fans.

- I have to thank Matthew Sicherman for preread this chapter. Thank you very much.

- I thank all kinds of comments and suggestions, as well as illustrations based on the history.

- Please R&R.

- If anybody wants be a pre reader and help me you only have to e-mail me. I would be happy to accept. Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Chapter 1: The Gathering

Soun finished reading the letter and, for a little moment, he remained thinking in silence.

The letter had reminded him of an old promise, a pact to unite his house with the Saotome’s. That had been during many years his greater illusion. Before he would have cried of happiness knowing that the Saotome came to their house, but no longer. The circumstances had changed.

Soun sighed and rose to tell the news to his daughters.

‘No. I can’t tell it to Akane.’ Soun pondered. ‘It will be better that I only tell the truth to Kasumi and Nabiki.’

After Soun made his decision he went to pick his daughters up. First he went to Nabiki’s room, but he stopped just in front of the door. His glance turned towards Akane’s room and he sighed, saddened. Afterwards he knocked softly Nabiki’s door, before opening it carefully so as not to make noise.

Nabiki was lying on the bed listening to music with earpieces, because of them she didn’t hear his father call. This one approached and touched her softly in her shoulder. Nabiki turned around and took off her earpieces on seeing her father.

“Nabiki, I would like to speak with you and Kasumi in the living-room. It is important.”
“Ok, dad. I will tell her right now.”

Soun smiled with gratitude, but just when he turned to leave Nabiki asked him.

“Must I tell it to Akane too?”

Soun answered with a shake of his head.

“No. This night she hasn’t been able to rest much; now that finally she has been able to fall asleep, we must let her rest.”
“Ok.”

Soun returned to the living room to await his daughters. He sat next to the table and stayed there observing the sky by the opened door of the garden.

Although the day had dawned sunny, little by little it had been covered with clouds and at this moment a light rain fell.

‘It seems so appropriate.’ Soun thought ‘I want to cry too.’

The noise of steps returned him to the reality. When he turned around he saw his two older daughters came in and sat down at the other side of the table facing him. During a second Soun observed them in silence.

Nabiki wore a t-shirt and jeans cut over the knee. Unlike her sister, Kasumi wore an elegant white dress.

‘It looks that she has a date with Tofu tonight.’ Soun thought proudly. ‘He is a good young man. Of course, otherwise I wouldn’t allow him date my daughter, and after that happened to Akane, who could reproach me?’

Nabiki’s rasp cut Soun’s train of thought.

‘How she's changed! Before she didn’t show openly her feelings, however now... And how much did I change?’

He left his thoughts and spoke to his daughters.

“An old friend is going to visit us with his son.”

This surprised Kasumi and Nabiki, but Soun continued before that they could make any comment.

“They will probably arrive this afternoon. The boy’s about your ages.”
“Father! I don’t think it is prudent…” Kasumi started, but seeing that Soun raised his hand, she shut up and let him continue.
“The reason of their visit is fulfil an old promise to join the schools; Therefore one of you is due to marry his son."

Soun hadn’t finished pronouncing those words when Nabiki and Kasumi began to protest simultaneously.

“How did it come to you?” “I didn’t think that it is a good idea.” “After everything that happened!” “Akane hasn’t recovered completely yet.” “It is a complete stupidity.”

Soun sighed resigned.

‘I knew that this was going to happen, but what could I do? If I hadn’t warned them, it would be worse.’

He raised his hand again, requesting silence; and waited for his daughters to finish expressing their indignation.

The silence returned to the room after a few minutes, but the atmosphere had changed. The annoyance and the disapproval of his daughters were easily visible for Soun. And although it hurt him see the rejection of his daughters, he knew that they had all the right to be upset.

‘I only wish that they will forgive me.’

He fixed his eyes on the table, unable to continue watching them to the eyes.

“I made that promise many years ago, when Kasumi was born. How could I know what was going to happen? If I had known…”

Soun, on the verge of tears, couldn’t continue. He took out a handkerchief and dried his eyes.

“I only ask you that you help me.” Soun told while he was doubling his handkerchief meticulously. “I don’t wish for Akane to find out. When my friend arrives I will talk with him. I know that he will understand the situation without problems. Will you help me?” Soun said almost begging.

His daughters’ attitude smoothed a little. Nabiki sighed.

“Ok father.” She said while she rubbed the bridge of her nose. “I hope that there aren’t more surprises of this type.”
“I promise you that there aren’t any more.” Soun said solemnly.

Then the bell of the house rang. Soun rose and said:

” Probably these are them. Go to receive them.”

And, without confirming that his daughters followed him, he left the living room. Kasumi rose and shook the dress off, before following her father. Nabiki remained alone with her thoughts.

‘I can’t believe it! How could you be so stupid, father?’ Nabiki breathed deeply trying to recover the calm. ‘Calm down! He couldn’t know what was going to happen. Now the important thing is receive them and explain the situation to them. I suppose that they will understand it, if no…’

Kasumi’s shout of surprise was listened by the entire house. Nabiki stood up with a jump, and left running at the top speed that their feet allowed her. When she arrived at the hall she found out an unreal scene.

A panda, so high that it hadn’t been able to pass through the front door without duck, was in the middle of the hall. The panda carried a young girl on one of its shoulders and held her with its claws. His father had adopted a defensive position in front of the panda to defend Kasumi, who was behind him, leaned against the wall not to impede the movements of her father.

Nabiki stopped, not knowing what do.

The young girl noted the commotion that their entrance had caused, turned on the shoulder of the Panda and shouted at it:

“Stupid! Can’t you see that you are scaring them? Lower me!”

The panda, obediently, took delicately the girl with its claws and deposited her in front of Soun, who, surprised, only managed to ask:

“Who are you?”

The girl averted her eyes shyly before answering.

“I am Ranma Saotome.”

Soun lowered his guard when heard the answer.

“Are you the son of Genma Saotome?”

Ranma agreed while she played with her pigtail.

“But it can't be” Soun exclaimed surprised. “Genma told me that Ranma was a boy and you are...”

The girl looked out of the corner of her eye to the panda, and sighed.

“I know that it is difficult to believe, but I can demonstrate that I say the truth. I only need a little hot water.”

Nabiki snorted incredulously.

“Ok. Wait a moment.” She said while went to the kitchen to fulfill the strange request.

A few minutes later, Nabiki returned with a glass of hot water, which she gave to the stranger girl. Without saying anything, she threw the water over her head. The result was immediate and surprising. The small, red-haired, girl transformed in a robust black haired young man.
The Tendos, witnesses of an impossible transformation, remained agape, while the panda remained calm in spite of the change of sex of its companion.

“As you can see, I am really a boy.” Ranma announced unnecessarily.

“How have you done it?” Kasumi asked curious.

Ranma sighed before answering.

“Long history.”

“And... and your father?” Soun asked uncertain, since he feared the answer.

By all answer Ranma threw the rest of the content of the glass to the panda that immediately transformed into a middle-aged man with glasses. He was barefoot, dressed with a gi and a bandana that hid his baldness.

“Soun! old friend! I am glad to see you.” The man greeted him at the moment that the transformation was completed.

Soun, who had begun to doubt of his eyes, asked incredulous:

“Genma!? But how is it possible?”

“It is an incredible history.” Genma explained. “During our trip to China we found the cursed springs of Jyusenkio, and discovered that the legend was right.”

“Because you didn't pay attention to the warnings of the guide.” Ranma reprobated him harshly.

“Oh! What an ungrateful son!!” Genma complained pained. “After all that I have done by him these years.”

Ranma trembled unable to contain his rage.

“That you have done!” He shouted to his father. “Must I remind you of any of the things that you have done?”

Kasumi interposed herself between father and son before the situation got worse, and addressed Ranma.

“In any case you return to being a boy with hot water, right?”

The sweet tone of Kasumi cooled the rage of Ranma that only could agree.

“Then you needn’t to worry.” She continued without giving him an opportunity to talk back. “You practice martial arts, right? Come, I will show you our dojo.”

Before Ranma could react Kasumi grabbed his hand and took him out. Genma smiled, feeling he was the winner by abandonment, when the door of the garden closed after them. Nabiki realized his attitude which didn't improve her first impression of Genma.
Soun cleared his throat to attract the attention of Genma.

“Well, now that we’ve met again, I think that it would be a good moment to celebrate it and speak.” Soun emphasized the last word, but Genma didn't realize it.

“Good! It is a long time since we went out to drink together.” Genma exclaimed with joy.

Genma left his backpack on the ground without any doubt, and turned towards Soun.

“I am ready.” Genma told him. “When you want, we can go out.”

Soun smiled at seeing that his old friend had not changed in all these years. He went towards Genma, passed an arm by his shoulders, and they left towards the nearest bar.
Remaining alone, Nabiki took the backpack that Genma had left very carefreely in the middle of the hall, and, with a big effort, dragged it into the kitchen. There she left the bag leaning against the kitchen's wall. Taking advantage of the fact she was already there, Nabiki went to the refrigerator to get a soft drink. While she drank it, she observed a sheet hung on the door of the refrigerator. That she saw didn't improve her state of mind.

“Shit! Why do I have such as bad luck?” Nabiki protested, but she didn't receive an answer from the empty kitchen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Akane descended the stairs with clumsy steps while passing her hand by her eyes. She had just awoke a short time ago, the necessary to take a change and leave his room quietly, and she still was half asleep.

When she arrived at the ground floor, she heard noises coming from the kitchen, so she leaned out there with curiosity.

The cause of the noise was her sister Nabiki who, on all fours and with half of her body inside a closet, tried to take out a great pot. Almost all the collection of frying pans and pots of the Tendo were around her.

“Nabiki! What are you doing?” Akane asked surprised.

Surprised Nabiki raised her head, striking herself with the ceiling of the closet.

“Damn!” Nabiki cursed while Akane put a hand over her mouth to disguise her smile.

Nabiki stood up slowly while caressing the sore part.

“What what am I doing? I am making the supper!” Nabiki explained bitterly. “And with my luck it is just my turn when guests arrive.”

“Guests?”

“They are an old friend of dad and his son.”

Akane's expression darkened at hearing this. Nabiki noticed the change of humor of her little sister and, trying to play down the news, she added:

“Don't worry! They are strange but inoffensive.”

A shy smile returned to Akane's face.

“Well! Don't worry! When I finish bathing, I will come to help you.” Akane offered.

“That would be a great aid, thanks.”

“Don't mention it.”

Akane continued her way towards the bath and Nabiki looked through the drawers of the kitchen.

"And now, where is the book of recipes?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

A few minutes later Kasumi entered by the door of the garden, while Nabiki was looking at an old recipe notebook. All the things needed to make the supper were ready around her. At seeing this Kasumi asked.

“Isn’t it too soon to prepare the supper?”

Nabiki looked up of the book of recipes surprised.

“Eh!?”

Kasumi smiled to catch her sister unaware and, repeated the question to her kindly.

“Isn’t it a little soon to make the supper?”

“I don’t know, I have never cooked for so many. What have I done to deserve this?” Nabiki complained while she closed the book.

“If you have a few hours I can tell you.” Kasumi joked.

Nabiki stuck her tongue out as her only answer, and began to prepare the supper. Kasumi smiled at Nabiki's buffoonery.

‘Look at her! That was so uncharacteristic of her before, that I can't believe it yet. The scheming Nabiki, so worried by the appearances and making money, that she didn't have interest in the housework.’ The smile of Kasumi vanished when she remembered the cause of all these changes. ‘Was so much suffering necessary?’ Kasumi shook her head to remove those thoughts from her mind.

“By the way Where is Ranma?” Nabiki asked while washed vegetables for the supper.

“After he showed me some of his techniques, he asked me if he could take a bath. I said that there wasn't any problem and...” Kasumi shut up at seeing Nabiki's reaction. She had stopped to prepare the supper and watched her surprised.

“Is Ranma in the bathroom?” Nabiki asked her with nervousness.

“Yes, Why?”
“Akane too.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Ranma left the washbasin on the floor of the furo, while the water dragged the rest of the soap of his body. After he finished washing, he went to the bathtub to relax in the hot water. A luxury that he hadn't been able to enjoy since a long time ago.
Slowly he entered in the bathtub and let the heat ascended by his tired muscles. He was going to submerge in the hot water when he heard as the door was opened and, unconsciously, turned around to watch.

A girl, near his age, was in the door of the furo. One of her hands leaned on the door, while the other, crossed in front of her chest, held a towel that covered her crotch. That was her only cloth. Her short black hair framed a beautiful face, where precious brown eyes stood out. She was smaller than Ranma, but her body was well proportionate. Her well-rounded breasts, proof that she wasn’t a girl any more, hung like forbidden fruits. The rest of her body was suggestive curves before which Ranma’s body reacted of a natural way.

Akane was too surprised to move. Her mind, a collection of confused thoughts, wasn’t able to react. Nevertheless their eyes began to descend by the manly body; and, while a mixture of morbid fascination and fear shook her body, detected her enemy. It was half asleep still, but in the presence of its prey, it stretched. Immediately it began to get its strength back until it straightened up ready, a promise of stole pleasure and pain.

Ranma couldn’t avoid blushing when he found out what the young girl was staring.

Akane gave one step back striking herself with the sink. She didn’t dare to turn around reason why she began to feel her way.
When she found out her error, it was too late. The towel had fallen to the ground and her treasure was visible. Her enemy also had seen it. Its viscous saliva suppurated by its poisonous mouth with desire.
Akane, terrified, tried to flee, stumbled and fell to the ground. She was able to crawl behind the toilet where she remained whimpering and curled up.

Ranma was paralyzed, too much surprised to make other thing that observe astonished.
The door was opened violently allowing a scared Kasumi enter the bath. She found Akane immediately and, crouching down at her side, she tried to calm her.
Nabiki came in afterwards and, seeing that Kasumi already took care of Akane, she went to the furo. Without crossing the door she looked at Ranma’s eyes and ordered him not to go out until she said so. Then she closed the door violently. For a few instants Ranma observed the closed door, blinked and submerged in the bathtub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Akane had a lost look and didn’t notice the presence of Kasumi at her side.

“Look at me, Akane.” Kasumi requested in an attempt to attract her attention.
At seeing that she didn’t react, Kasumi placed her fingers underneath Akane’s chin and, smoothly, helped her to turn the head. When their eyes met, Akane finally recognized her. Kasumi, without turning aside her gaze even a moment, began to speak her reassuring.

“Nobody is going to hurt you. Do you hear me, Akane? You haven’t to be scared because nobody is going to hurt you.”

Akane slowly stopped trembling and nodded. Nabiki leaned in the door of the furo and observed in silence as Kasumi was able to tranquilize Akane only with her voice and her words, without daring to take part by fear for breaking the reassuring influence of Kasumi. She smiled at seeing that her sister got over her catatonic condition, anyway she continued talking to Akane with the same tone of voice.

“It only has been an accident. Do you understand? It was only an accident. He is a friend and he isn’t going to hurt you.”
“It only has been an accident.” Akane repeated trying to convince herself.
“Exactly. Nobody goes to hurt you. Moreover we always will be here so that nothing happens to you."

Akane began to cry alleviated. The crisis already had passed. Kasumi hugged her and let her sister wash away her pain with her tears. Meanwhile Nabiki meditated about what happened.

‘This is exactly that I feared would happen! Damn your promises, father! They only bring us more pain. Although I can’t blame anybody, especially Ranma; surely now he is asking himself what has happened and blaming himself for that reason. Ok! As soon as he finishes bathing I will speak with him.’

At this moment began to hear a weeping coming from the upper floor.

“It seems that Shinji has awaked.” Kasumi commented.

Akane moved apart from her sister’s hug and dried her tears.

“He must be hungry.” Akane indicated while she began to dress.

Kasumi, still knelt, watched her sister and asked her worried.

“Are you sure that you are well?”

“Yes, I am ok.” Akane answered evasively because she knew that it wasn’t true.

Kasumi knew that Akane hadn’t been totally sincere but she didn’t say anything. Once dressed Akane washed her face to clean the rest of tears; and after she dried herself, turn towards her sisters.

“Thank you very much, and sorry to worry both of you.”

“What are older sisters for?” Nabiki commented, smiling at Akane.

“Do you want help me, Kasumi?” Akane offered to her older sister.

“It will be a pleasure.” Kasumi answered with a smile.

“Do you want to come, Nabiki?” Akane asked.

”No, I have to do other things.”

“Ok.”

Akane didn’t insist because she feared that the answer reopened still fresh wounds. After saying goodbye, Akane and Kasumi left the bath. Once alone, Nabiki turned her head and stayed observing the door that separated her of the furo.

“Ranma when you are ready you can come out. I will wait for you in the corridor, so don’t be long.”

After saying so, she left the bath and closed the door at her back.

Ranma left the furo quickly, since he understood that it wasn’t the moment to relax with a long hot bath.
His hands took his clothes absent-mindedly and put them on clumsily while his mind still tried to understand that had happened.

‘Who was that girl? The other sister whom Kasumi told me? Probably. But why was she so scared? I understand that she was surprised! Damn it! I was surprised too! And that wasn't the first time that I saw the body of a naked girl Perhaps she feared me because of the curse. Does she think that I am strange?’

These thoughts saddened Ranma's mood. He watched himself in the mirror trying to see the monster that had scared her, but there was only an adolescent of sad face. Knowing that he wasn't going to find any answers, Ranma went out to the corridor. Nabiki was waiting him there, leaned against the wall.

“At last!” Nabiki complained although Ranma hadn't be long. “Come with me to my room. I will explain everything to you there with tranquility.”

Nabiki began to walk, followed by a crestfallen Ranma. Something attracted the attention of Ranma when they passed besides the opened doors of the living room, who raised his head to watch.

Akane, calmer, was seated next to the table with a baby in her arms. Her blouse was opened and with her left hand she approached her breast so that he could feed. You could see the pride that she felt reflected in her face. At the other side of the table Kasumi observed the scene smiling. Upon the table there were countless articles that Ranma didn't know.
Before that Ranma could say anything, Nabiki grabbed his arm and whispered to his ear:

“Come on!”

Ranma nodded, looked at the scene one last time and followed Nabiki. For a few moments neither spoke but when they started to climb the stairs, Ranma asked with curiosity.

“Who is that boy?”
“He is Akane's son.” Nabiki answered with tired voice.
“Her son!! How can it be? But she is too young...” Ranma's surprise could be heard clearly in his voice.
‘Yes.’ Nabiki thought saddened. ‘She is too young. She mustn't be a mother yet.’

Ranma continued asking innocently without realizing the mood of Nabiki.

“And who is the father? Doesn't he live with you?”

Nabiki, who had arrived at her room, opened the door suddenly with so much force that it bounce against the wall.

“Ranma! Akane was raped a few more than a year ago.”

TBC...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Answer to the Reviews: