Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Insanity's End? ❯ Insanity... and other daily Happenings ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Monday morning, Akane awoke smiling. She felt good. She opened her eyes and looked at Ranma. He looks so peaceful. Akane sighed contentedly. My fian-- No, my HUSBAND! slightly. Though we wanted to get married, I don’t like it that they fooled us. I think some retaliation is in order. grinned evilly. Maybe I’ll talk to auntie about that. lazily turned to look at the clock...

OH NO!! The clock read “7:30”.

gRanma!” Akane shook her brand-new husband. “We need to stand up! We’ve got school today!”

gMfrgldmgb.” Ranma just turned over, pinning Akane to the floor.

g Eep! Come on, wake up, already! We don’t have time for this!” Since Ranma hadn’t woken up yet, Akane remained pinned down, unable to move. Oh, great! He’s snoring away, and I can’t even stand up… pondered shortly. , grinning evilly, she leaned up to Ranma’s face and kissed him passionately on the lips.

When Ranma started kissing her back, Akane laid a hand on his chest and said: “Sorry, Ranma, I’d really like to continue this, but we need to get ready for school.”

Ranma sighed disappointedly and rolled off Akane, who quickly scrambled to her feet and started for the door.

gDon’t want to be late, do you?”

Ranma just fell back onto his pillow. “Okay, okay.” he groaned. “What do we need school for, anyway?”

Akane smiled. “Anata baka.” Ranma growled lowly at that.



Insanity’s End?
A Ranma ½ FanFic by Ranma-kun



Legal Disclaimer:
The Ranma ½ cast are property of Takahashi Rumiko-sensei, Kitty, Shogakukan, Viz, and some other companies, and are used for entertainment purposes only. I’ll return them… Wonder if they’ll be upset if I keep Akane.
Marjoram, of course, is copyright by LeaCarter.


Note:
I recommend reading “Too Many Tears…” by LeaCarter/Mari-chan, first. The following scene is a what-if to that darkfic’s storyline.




Chapter 3: Insanity… and other daily Happenings



He appeared on their way to school.

Akane and Ranma were running together on top of the fence, when suddenly a figure jumped down from a roof and let loose a hail of lightning bolts toward Ranma. The two dodged down to the street.

gAkane!“ Ranma shot her a look, and saw she was already retreating several meters. When he was sure she was a save distance away, Ranma turned on his attacker and asked, “Yes? Can I help you?“ His opponent didn't mind giving an answer as he let loose another attack.

Ranma easily deflected the energy, while Akane just rolled her eyes. That just HAD to be happening; Two weeks of relative peace, that's a new record! she thought sarcastically.

gC'mon, Ranma! We're gonna be late again!“

Ranma gave her a wry grin: “Oh? Thanks for worryin'!“

Akane smiled back, “Sure I am worrying. So, hurry up, ok?“ She started. “Ranma!! Eyes straight!“

Ranma deflected the blast. “Hey! Could ya at least tell me WHY you wanna kill me!?“

gYOU have killed my son!“ cried the attacker, his voice full of hatred. “I am Marjoram, father to Saffron, king of the Phoenix people, and because of YOU I had to retake guardianship over him! Do you know how hard that is!!?“

Ranma opened his mouth wanting to retort, but Marjoram jumped up, somersaulted over Ranma’s head, landed behind the surprised Akane, and took her with him into the air. He brutally held her before himself, and touched one of his razor-sharp talons to her throat, letting a little blood trickle down the blade. Akane gasped. “Maybe it would be better to let you suffer instead of die...“

gNo!!“ Ranma charged toward them. “Akane!“

gRanma, do--“

gBe quiet, stupid girl!“ hissed Marjoram, and made a quick movement to the right...

...but slashed only air, since Akane had already freed herself. What th-- His thoughts were interrupted by a knee to the groin.

gAkane! Ki!“ called Ranma, already glowing like a bulb. When she was beside him, Akane turned in a flash, and built up her ki as well, forming a little sphere of fiery red between her open palms.

Ranma held his palms close to Akane's. His ki combining with hers formed a brilliant purple ball.

g NOOOOOO!!!!“ Feeling the tremendous power building, Marjoram did the only thing to maybe save him; sparks started leaping between his hands and a ball of lightning formed, rapidly growing in size.

gNow!“ Ranma and Akane both gave a push and released their control of the ki gathered between their outstretched palms. The blast flashed for a moment, racing toward the birdman in the next. Marjoram, desperate to block or deflect it, fired his lightning ball into it...

For but a second a sphere of brilliant white light expanded in absolute silence. The next, a tremendous explosion shook the sleepy suburb of Nerima. After seeing the huge pillar of light, however, most people went back to their business; this was Nerima, after all!

gOw.“ Akane was a little dazed. “That sure was more than intended, ne, Ranma? ...Ranma?“ Akane looked around.

She found Ranma behind her, unmoving. The wall he had hit was thoroughly shattered.

Shock immediately replaced daze. “Ranma!“

Akane knelt down beside him and cradled him in her arms, tears forming. “Oh, Ranma, you're so stupid! Why did you do that?! Come on, wake up! Please!!“ She buried her face in his hair.

Coughing, Ranma came to again, wondering where he was.

gOw. Heavy... explosion.“ he added, realizing where he was.

gBaka.“ Akane hugged Ranma.

gAkane!! L-loosen up! You're crushing me!“ Ranma was still very much dazed, but he wanted Akane to smile... “If your friends'd see you like this...“

gAnything but that.“ Wiping the tears away, Akane snickered. “They'd figure out I'm a girl.“

gAnd that, we don't want 'em to know.“ Ranma joked.

Their snickering turned to laughing, breaking the strain of battle, and loosening them up. Akane looked at her watch.

gKuso! We're gonna be late!”

gThen hurry up, slowpoke!” cried Ranma, already having gained 100 meters on her.

gHey, unfair!” Akane raced off after him.

~~~~~~

gStand in the hall.”

There they stood again, Ranma and Akane: in the hall, water buckets in hands. Not that this would have been a rare sight...

gDo you remember, Ranma?”

gHm?”

gThe day after we got to know each other and found out about the engagement, we had to stand here for the first time.”

gYeah, what a mess. First day in school, standing in the hall, and my only friend mad at me.”

gWell, I wasn't really mad at you, I just...” Akane was searching for the right words, “I just got upset with you.”

gWhy?”

gYou really wanna know, don't you?”

Misinterpreting the gleam in Akane's eyes, Ranma eagerly nodded. “Yeah, please.” The next instant he was drenched.

gNani sunde!?” asked the buxom red-head angrily.

gI was upset with at you for refusing to fight me, since I am just a weak girl. And so I threatened you with my bucket, asking if you'd fight me as a girl.”

gWell...” Ranma shrugged his shoulders. “Then, no. Now...” The petite girl charged forward, raining blow after blow down on her wife. Akane built up her defenses in an instant, and a silent dance started.

Fighting, the combatants lost all sense of time, just attacking and defending; until...

gRan-chan!”

Ranma looked to the side to see Ukyô standing in the door to the classroom. That little distraction lost him the fight, Akane embedding him into the far wall of the neighbour classroom.

gRanma. You ok?” Akane looked through the hole into the classroom. Seeing an angry teacher look back at her, she winced. “Oops... Sorry.”

~~~~~~

gSo, what's with you two?” Ukyô sat opposite Ranma and Akane on the school's roof, directly above the clock.

gUh, Ukyô... I... I mean, we...” started Akane.

gWhat's there to stutter, sugar!?” Initially, Ukyô sounded really mad, but she quickly got a hold of herself, visibly cooling down. “You two are... together now, aren't you?” It was an honest question, neither angry nor sad, both of which surprised Ranma.

gUh... Yes, Ukyô.” Akane felt sorry for her rival. Ranma aside, she was her friend.

Ukyô sighed, partly in resignation, partly in relief. “Thought so.” This made Akane blink.

Rolling onto her knees, and bowing deeply, Ukyô sighed again. “Saotome Ranma-san. Tendô Akane-san. I know that you can by no means forgive what I did; nonetheless I will ask you: will you consent to still be my friends?”

gUcchan, I... I...”

gI think, Ranma and I have already forgiven you, even if it may not seem this way.” Akane took Ukyô's shoulders and hauled her up into a sitting position, “But, you know, that's Saotome now.” she added with a slight grin.

gHai.” Ukyô smiled back at her. Then, realization struck. “Nani?!!”

gPsshhht!!” Akane clamped a hand over Ukyô's mouth. “Yes. But nobody needs to know that right now.”

gBut... But, how? When?”

gAs far as we know, some time two weeks ago. But we aren't too sure, we just found out ourselves yesterday.” Akane shrugged her shoulders.

The chef snorted, and then broke down into laughter. “WAA hahahahaha!! That's just hilarious! Instead of always trying, they did it for once! Wahahahahaha!” She collapsed, beating on the floor with one hand, holding her stomach with the other. Ranma and Akane were left to wonder.

gNow, Ukyô: You cannot tell anyone abou--” Akane was interrupted by somebody grabbing her collar from behind.

gYou're sooo coming with us, Missie!” said an angry Sayuri, dragging the protesting girl off the roof.

gUh, Ran-chan?” Ukyô looked at the amused-looking youth desperately. “Do you forgive me, too?”

Ranma turned to her, and for the fraction of a second his face seemed to be made of stone. It quickly softened, however, and he smiled at her. “Of course. Just...”

gAnything!” Ukyô was so happy.

gDon't blame Akane for it, please.” Ranma looked at her seriously. “She doesn't have anything to do with the unsettled things between the two of us.”

gWell...” Ukyô twiddled her fingers, “Thinking about it, the only thing between us was settled as soon as I found out you never really knew about me – I mean, about me being a girl.”

gThat's still no excuse.“ answered Ranma. “C'mon, tell me. There must be something for me to do to repay you; I mean, m'old man still took the yattai!“

gOkay, if you insist...“ Ukyô's eyes started gleaming mischievously, “I could use a waitress every other weekend!“

Ranma fell over backwards.

~~~~~~

gSo!“ Sayuri let go of Akane, making sure she and Yuka were between her and the only door to their classroom. “What's going on between you and Ranma?“

gUm, well...“

gC'mon, spit it out!!“ Yuka was starting to lose her nerve, too.

Akane's eyes flashed. “You really wanna know?“ With a wry grin, she took two steps backward, hunching her shoulders in what seemed to be a martial arts stance.

Sayuri crossed her arms, trying to look more confident than she felt. “Of course!“

gThen meet me after school ends, and we'll go to my place!“ With that, Akane somersaulted backwards out of the window.

gDid you... see that?“ asked Yuka, gaping.

gH-hai.“ Sayuri was far too perplexed to say anything more.

~~~~~~

gThank you, Ran-chan.“ Ukyô hugged her ex-fiancé. “Thank you for remaining my friend. I love you, but I know now you won't feel like that, ever. No, please let me finish.“ She raised a hand to stop Ranma's reply, then leaned forward and kissed him on the lips. Ranma froze.

Ukyô slowly rose to her feet. “Saotome Ranma, I hereby release you from the engagement made between us by consent of our fathers.“ A slight smile crossed her lips. “Best friends it is.“ With that she took her leave, closing her past life like she did the door to the stairway.

~~~~~~

gSo, she kissed you?” asked Akane, walking beside Ranma, who had his hands – still holding his school bag – behind his head. Yuka and Sayuri were keeping well clear of the couple; just for privacy, of course!

gUh, yeah. She did.” Ranma’s expression turned mischievous. “Why? Jealous?” The five followers quickly fell back a few more paces.

gMaybe.” Akane matched Ranma’s pose, “But, really, why should I care?”

gEh?!” Ranma stopped dead in his tracks. “What do ya wanna say!?” he demanded. Akane just laughed him in the face, then waved him off with one hand.

gCome on, I meant that I don't care because I trust you. Don't be mad, ok?” She batted her eyelashes, looking beyond cute.

The sound of loud laughter ruined the moment.

Looking back, Ranma and Akane saw Yuka and Sayuri, collapsed and in riots of laughter. Ukyô, for her part, hung head-down from a tree, having tripped in laughter. Embarrassedly, the pair turned back around and stiffly walked away.

~~~~~~

gTadaima!” After announcing themselves and leading Yuka and Sayuri upstairs, Akane turned to Ranma: “You go read a manga or something. We've got some girl-stuff to talk about.”

gHey, isn't Ranma half-girl?” Sayuri jotted in, earning herself a death-glare.

gWell, yes...” Akane poked him in the rips, “but you don't count here, buster!” Chuckling, she lead her friends to her room and opened the door...

gSpartan equipment.” commented Yuka, looking over the shocked girl's shoulder into a room void of everything but the bed.

Sayuri inspected the door, only a light spot telling of the white duck once hanging there. “Burglars are kinda quick nowadays.”

gYep. Even the furniture's gone. I'd call this a good piece of work.” agreed Yuka.

Giving her two friends the evil eye, Akane turned to see Ranma staring at the door to his room. “Ranma? Dôka shita nô?” She went back to look after him.

Ranma just pointed at the door. Surprisingly enough, it was a door, not the fusuma Akane clearly remembered from this morning.

gEh?” Akane squinted her eyes at the sign; a wooden yin-yang bearing the inscription “Ranma & Akane”. Her throat tightening, she grabbed the door handle, and pushed it down...

gNANI?!!” In the middle of the room there stood a big four-poster bed and Akane's desk was standing to the side of the room. Akane's personal items looked a little out of place, lying on the desk and chair. What's going on here?! Wh--

A gasp interrupted her train of thought, and she turned just in time to catch the fainting Ranma.

gThis is new.“ A flash of light followed the statement.

gOnê-chan, what's with that?“ demanded Akane, unceremoniously dragging the comatose youth into the room and dropping him onto the bed. “This is your doing, isn't it!?“

Ranma opened his eyes and stood up, holding his head and confusedly looking around.

gWell...“ Nabiki crossed her arms, a smile playing about her lips. “I just thought that since you two are married...“ She shrugged her shoulders.

Ranma fainted again, this time hitting the floor with a loud “bonk“.

gMô! Baka.“ Akane quickly returned her attention back to her sister. Doing so, she saw her friends staring at her wide-eyed, and she winced. Whoops!

gAnd, since you two are sleeping together, anyway...“ Definitely grinning now, Nabiki held up both her hands in a “don't know“ gesture.

gNANI?!!“ Yuka and Sayuri, already beyond wonder, couldn't stop blinking at their friend.

gOh! Hehe...“ Akane coffed nervously, trying to decide where to look.

gSee it as a kind of wedding present.“ Her elder sister smirked at Akane's obvious discomfort.

Akane gritted her teeth.

gOh man.“ a moan came from the floor. “What a dream...“ Ranma sat up, suddenly looking into two wide pairs of eyes. Seeing Yuka and Sayuri examine him up and down, he moaned again. “God, it wasn't a dream. And they really know!“ He let himself fall back onto the futon.

gYuka! Sayuri!“ snapped an angry Akane.

gYes, ma'am!“ The called-upons shot up, standing straight.

A tiny hint of a smile crossed Akane's lips. “Let's go to my...“ She frowned. “My old room... before I brain my sister!“ Growling, she stomped off.

~~~~~~

More or less reading the manga he was looking into, Ranma balanced upside down on his head, thinking about things...

It's difficult to realize we're married now. What with no ceremony and all. Anyway, it makes things so much more complicated... He looked up, baffled. ...or maybe not! Truth be told, where's the difference to before? He smirked. 'cept in where we sleep, o' course!

Do I really want to be with Akane? Definitely! Do I want to marry her? No choice here, but, yes! I do. Would I-- Sayuri storming into the room disrupted his chain of thought. “Huh?“ He let himself fall to the side.

gNani?!“ The girl quickly backed the taller boy into a corner, her fierce expression totally betraying her wet eyes.

gSaotome Ranma!“ she started. Then, taking a deep breath, Sayuri bowed to him. “Please, do always take good care of your wife... our friend, Akane.“ With that she turned and fled the room, and down the stairs. Ranma heard her and Yuka say their goodbyes, and then they were gone.

gWhat was that all about?“ he asked himself aloud.

gRanma?“ Akane stood in the doorway, looking thoroughly winded. “Mind a little spar? I've got to get my head clear.“

gUh, sure.“ Ranma shoved his thoughts aside, following his wife downstairs to the dôjô.

~~~~~~

gNightmare?“

gUh-humm.“ Akane nodded her head, and then gulped down a little water.

gWhat about?“ Ranma sat down beside her on the engawa outside the dôjô.

gJusendô. In my dreams I am back there. Drowning, saving you, being drained and shrinking... and dying.“

Ranma gasped. A long silence followed.

gDying?“ Ranma's throat was dry. “In your dream?“

Akane shook her head. “Not only there.“

gYou... were...“ Ranma licked his lips, feeling more than just unwell, “...dead?“

Akane nodded once. “More than that. I stood there beside you, as you held my body in your arms. I called your name, cried it even; but you...“ She swallowed hard. “...wouldn't hear me.“ Akane looked down, not wanting Ranma to see her tears.

gShhh.“ Ranma took her in his arms, kissing her head. “But you came back, so it's okay. Right?“

Akane closed her eyes, calming down. “Hai. It is.“

Somewhere, a camera clicked, and a shadow disappeared.

~~~~~~

Akane sat at her desk, that for the first time in her life was standing in another room. Hers and Ranma’s.

Why is everything so complicated? Our parents, our friends, the fiancées... *sigh* Why can't it just be “I love you, and you love me“?

She started to tear at her hair. Aw, kuso, why can't all those people stay out of our life!? The answer was easy: Because they just can't. Akane sighed again. At least we're married now; that handles the fiancées! But our fathers will still be trying to control our life. They won't back down before I am pregnant, I'm sure of that...

Akane tore at her hair again. AH, what use is all this thinking, if I don't have any ideas to change our luck!? She stood up, sighing. Maybe a bath would help.

~~~~~~

Ranma was doing some slow kata in the garden, thinking about his new life:

Akane died. What if she had never woken up again? What would I do? I don't know.

Hell, I don't even know what happened after I saw Akane disappear! The next thing I remember was that guide guy taking her clothes from my hands...
His vision started to blur, ...and loss. He sniffed quietly in mid-kata. God, what would I do? I could never live with that – being responsible for her death – and yet I couldn't die! It would only make her sad.

I rea-- Ranma tripped and fell. A bare second later, he emerged from the pond, female, wet and grumbling.

Great! Just great!! I think about that clumsy tomboy, and I fall into the pond! A slight smile darted across his lips. So uncute!

gRanma! Daijobu ka?“ Kasumi was standing on the porch. Ranma stumbling into the pond rarely happened when he was alone. That left her worried.

gNah. Just been thinkin' too much. Gotta do that somewhere other than trainin'!“

gOh? Then I guess you should take a bath. This might help with your thinking problem, too.“

Ranma gawked. Sarcasm? Kasumi?! He looked a little closer. Naaah.

gThanks, Kasumi. I think I'll take you up on that offer. Tata.“ With that, the red-head went into the house.

gI am happy that I could help.“ answered the eldest Tendô quietly.

~~~~~~

This really is some mess I got us into! Akane was sitting on one of the stools, silently scrubbing herself. How can I repair the damage I did? Can I ever repair it? And how little of it is really other people's fault? She sighed. To tell the truth, hadn't I agreed to the wedding, none of this might have happened... I just don't know if this is a good or a bad thing!

Pondering, she turned to washing her hair. Well, it definitely is a good thing we finally did it. A tiny smile crept across Akane's lips. As for the rest... Ranma training me sure is a nice change of things, and to know about... Her smile vanished, ...Ryôga! How could he!!? Why did he do this to me!? Why didn't I ever notice!? Akane was getting angry with herself.

So absorbed into her thoughts, she missed somebody closing the changing room's door.

~~~~~~

Really! Onna-Ranma turned around, stripped down and, without a single glance at the hamper, discarded her clothes. I should know better'n think about my problems in training! Oh, well... He turned to the fusuma, ...now I got the time ta think about it. ...and opened it.

His mind froze.

~~~~~~

Akane rinsed herself off, doing so twice to get all the soap out of her hair. I really wonder how I managed that in the past. Being done, she stood up, took the stool and turned around in order to put it into it's place... and looked across the room right into Ranma's eyes! She froze.

First thing she thought: Ranma no hentai! I am in the bath and he-- When she crushed the stool, Akane mind unfroze. Stop!! Think! If he had done so on purpose, wouldn't he do something?! In shock, she dropped the remains of the stool. Oh my god, what was I thinking again?!! Then she took her first real look at Ranma...

The redhead was standing there in the doorway, neither able to unlock her eyes from Akane's, nor able to speak. Akane smiled.

Oh well... She made a deliberate step forward. That same instant, Ranma took one step backwards. Okay – his brain's still out of order, it seems. Akane vanished.

Ranma's brain was still busy rebooting, so he couldn't really react. After only two more backward steps, he was being thrown into the furo.

g Wah!“ Ranma emerged from the waters, male and gasping for air. Seeing Akane approach him, he short-circuited: “Wait, I can explain, I--“ Akane kissing him on the lips stopped him short.

gRanma. What do you think you're doing?“ Akane was speaking indifferently, letting no emotion resonate in her voice.

gUh, I... Kasumi...“ The pigtailed youth was totally helpless.

This is starting to unsettle me... Everything that happens between the two of us, seems to somehow be connected to dear eldest sister. “Don't worry, Ranma. I won't hit you.“

That got her his full attention. “Huh?“ Is she gonna finish me instead?

gNo. And do you know, why?“ Ranma shook his head. “Because we're married, you dummy! It doesn't matter anymore!“ Akane laughed out loud at Ranma's brainless look. “Oh, come on! Get used to it, it's likely to happen a lot more often in the future, since Kasumi will no longer watch for it.“

gUh, it's just that...“ Ranma poked the tips of his index fingers together. “It's hard to get used to.“ he whispered.

gDon't tell me!“ laughed Akane. Then she sobered. “Got some room for me in there?“

gHuh? Oh!“ Ranma turned a little pink, and moved closer to the other edge of the tub.

gSo...“ said Akane, leaning against Ranma, “Why were you a girl?“

gI, uh... tripped into the pond.“ he admitted. “Too busy thinkin' ta notice.“

gUm, sensei? Didn't you tell me to think as little as possible when I train or fight?“ Akane asked with a mischievous grin.

gAw, c'mon, it's your fault I couldn't concentrate!“ Ranma was miffed.

gOh!? Why d--“ Akane stopped, taking her time to calm down. “Ranma, what do you mean?“ she asked finally. Ranma winced.

gSorry, didn't mean to insult ya. I... I was thinkin' 'bout us – how life turned out to be for us. You an' me bein' – y'know.“

gWell...“ Akane nodded her head, “I can understand that. I was thinking about the same things just before you came in.“ She turned a slight shade of pink.

gOh?“ Ranma smiled a little.

Akane embraced her husband, and the pair sat there in silence for a little while, soaking in the furo.

A flash of light ended the romantic feelings, and Akane's head snapped upward. “Nabiki!“ To her surprise, she couldn't see anybody in the bathroom, except herself and Ranma.

~~~~~~

gHappôsai, you will pay for what you have done to me.“ A youth in chinese outfits stopped just outside of Nerima. “This time I will get you!“

Hearing the boy's insane laughter, people quickly left the scene.

~~~~~~

gWhile I am happy for the two of you...“ Nodoka frowned at Akane, “I will have a word with that husband of mine.“ Her face hardened, but then quickly softened. “Why did you summon me, my dear?“

gActually, Saotome no okâ-sama...“ began Akane, “What you just mentioned is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about. While Ranma and I are content with being married, we would have preferred it to have been of our own decision, not our fathers'.

Nodoka's frown returned and deepened, and she nodded slowly. “I understand, Akane-chan. You want to exact revenge, but in a fashion as to never let them forget.“ Her eyes started burning with a holy fire.

gYes.“ Akane could tell Nodoka was being earnest. “That's exactly what I meant.“

gDon't worry, my dear, we will come up with the right plan when the time is nigh.“ The aristocratic woman sipped her tea. “Oh, I almost forgot...“ She reached into her kimono, pulling out a scroll. Handing Akane the scroll, she said: “There is something else that needs to be taken care of.“

Akane blinked, and took the scroll. Unrolling it, her eyes widened shortly, then quickly narrowed.

gOkâ-sama...“ she began with great restraint, “What do you suppose I should do with this?“

gWhy, hold Ranma to his oath, tha--“

gOkâ-sama!“ The edge in Akane's voice was now unmistakable. Nodoka cringed seeing Akane's wild expression. “Do you really think I would... that I COULD hold Ranma – the man I love – to a contract he signed as a toddler!?“

Akane's harsh words hitting a sore spot, Nodoka lowered her head and stared down into her lap.

Akane's anger shot forth, bursting into flames around her. “How you are able to even THINK of doing such harm to your only child, is beyond me! I , for my part, definitely won't do something like that to him.

Tears of hurt standing in her eyes, Akane continued. “However, I will take the scroll, if for no other reason than to keep anyone from hurting my man.“ She stood up, and started for the door.

Stopping halfway through the doorway, the girl half-turned her head: “I am sorry for yelling at you, Okâ-sama, but I will stop at NOTHING to ensure my Ranma's safety.“ She then left the main room.

Nodoka looked after her, showing the tears in her eyes. “I am so proud of you, my son.“ she whispered. “...and I am sorry.“

~~~~~~

Opening the door to their room, Akane puzzled as to why Ranma cringed away from her. She winced upon realizing that she must have been sporting a VERY grim expression, and calmed herself, letting her aura dissipate.

gI'm sorry, Ranma.“ she said softly. “I'm not angry at you. I am angry at...“ her voice tightened a little, “your mother.“

gUm, ah...“ stuttered Ranma, not really being less nervous, “Why?“

gBecause of this!“ Akane held up the scroll she was still clenching her fist around.

gUh, what is that?“ asked the pig-tailed youth curiously.

Akane wordlessly unrolled the scroll for her husband to read. When Ranma turned pale as a ghost, she rolled it up again.

gI...“ croaked Ranma, then cleared his throat. “I intend ta keep to this oath, if that's what ya mean.“

gDon't you DARE!“ Akane was furious with him for even thinking such a thing. A decision having been made, she held the scroll up in her open palm. It was taken afloat in a fiery sphere, and then incinerated. The sphere flickered out of existence and Akane dropped her hand to her side.

gRanma...“ she started softly, “How many times do I have to tell you? You're Ranma, the man I gave my heart. Nothing in the world could make me think you're unmanly. I like you just the way you are.“

gThank you.“ Ranma stood up and embraced Akane tightly, a tear escaping his eyes. “Thank you so much...“

~~~~~~

g Where has that old geezer vanished to!?“ The young chinese man was furious. He had now searched almost every spot in this damn town, and still could not find Happôsai. “Maybe he knows.“ He jumped into the canal.

~~~~~~

gRanma no baka!“ Akane gave her husband a slap that embedded him into the wall fence over the street, and stormed out of the dôjô.

Ranma wheezed “Kawaiikunai...“ and fell face-forward into the neighbours' garden.

~~~~~~

Angrily plopping down onto her chair, Akane repeated the word “baka“ over and over.

gMô! Why does he keep teasing me?“ She deflated a little. “Because he doesn't think, before he talks. Still...“ A single tear made its way down her cheek, “It hurts so damn much, hearing him say those things.“

Still seething there five minutes later, Akane suddenly heard a roar, followed by a loud crash. “Ranma!“ Before she had even thought about it, she was already on the roof.

In the courtyard by the pond stood Beast-Tarô, holding Ranma in one of his monstrous pranks and roaring something.

gOi, pansuto-yarô!“ Angered by this insult, the minotaur-looking creature turned just in time to sniff up a ki blast. Reeling from the blow, he dropped Ranma, who quickly ran up to Akane.

gStay out of this, 'kane.“ Ranma turned to confront the chinese Monstrosity.

Akane embedding his face into the ground came totally unexpected.

gBaka yarô! How can you be so- so... aochh!“ The girl screamed out her frustration.

gOW!“ Pulling his head out of the earth, Ranma retorted: “That's my fight! It's none of yer business!!“

gOh, now I'm just a millstone around mister's neck, huh!? Who was it that saved your sorry behind just a moment ago!?“

Being a little perplexed, Pansuto-Tarô let out an asking grunt. Seeing that they were still bickering away and ignoring him, he asked a little louder.

gWhat!?“ demanded Ranma and Akane simultaneously.

Tarô roared something that sounded rather like 'Happôsai'.

gDunno. Panty-raid, I guess. Now buzz off!“ Fire shot forth from Ranma and Akane's hands, sending the man-turned-beast flying on a steep trajectory.

Turning his attention back to his wife, Ranma looked rather sheepish. “I'm sorry, 'kane. I didn't mean to insult ya. I--“ A finger poked him into the chest, effectively shoving him into the pond. “Hey!“

Akane laughed, her anger blowing away. “Baka.“ She leaned down to try and pull Ranma out, but Ranma had other intentions, pulling her into the pond. “Uaaahh!“ She splashed down noisily.

gAkane, I'm really sorry 'bout everything I said.“ Ranma let his head hang.

g's alright, Ranma.“ Akane grinned him right into the face. “Just...“ She turned a little serious, “It really hurts, when you call me names.“

gI'm so sorry, Akane.“ The boy-turned-girl cuddled her to him, and continued: “I'll make it up to you, I swear.“ He sweatdropped at seeing his wife grin.

gOh, I am sure you will.“ The girl grabbed her currently female husband's behind firmly.

The redhead gasped, then pushed Akane away by her shoulders. „I'm sorry, but--!“ Ranma trailed off.

?Ranma, what is it?“

?I... It's just... Akane, you keep callin' me a perv, and now yer grabbin' my ass? I--“ The buxom girl broke off again, looking frightened and ready to bolt.

?Ranma...“ Akane started to lead her husband into the house and up to their room, „I wasn't trying to hit on you as a girl. I just... you're Ranma, nobody else.“ She sighed, sitting down on the bed's edge, and guiding him down beside her. „Look, I love you, and even when you look like this, you're still you.“

?B-But I'm a GIRL!“ Ranma screeched.

?Shh.“ Akane was suddenly glad Nabiki had had the room soundproofed. „Ranma, what does it take for you to believe me?“

Onna-Ranma remained silent, finding her lap very interesting at the moment.

I'm not sure this is the right moment, but here goes... Akane took a deep breath.

?I want to make love to you.“

?What?“ Ranma looked up. „Oh.“ He looked down again. „Be right back.“ The red-head started to get up...

...but was stopped by her wife's hand on her forearm. „Huh?“

?No, Ranma.“ The raven-haired girl shook her head. „I want to make love to you like this.“

?Yo... bu... NO!!“ Ranma tried to come free, starting to wail. „NO, you shouldn't have ta do that!“ Finally struggling free, he fled to the corner of the room, cowering and shaking. „N-nobody should be forced ta do that...“

? Ranma...“ Akane knelt down beside him, cradling the crying girl in her lap. She was shocked at how suddenly her husband had broken apart. All I wanted was to make love to him, and now I'm suggesting doing it girl to girl... Her mind was racing to grasp everything that had happened. Finally, however...

?I'm sorry, Ranma.“ A tear fell onto Ranma's face, making him blink. „I-I didn't mean that stuff I said about you being a hentai. I j-just took it out on you that I feel a-attracted to you even when you're a girl.“ She too started sobbing. „Plea-hease don't hate me, Ranma!“ She buried her face in the other girl's bangs.

A small grin tucked one corner of Ranma's mouth slightly up. „Heh. We're both idiots.“

Akane snorted into his bangs, and then giggled. „You could say that.“ She got up, leading Ranma back to the bed and sitting down on it. „A matching pair, if you ask me.“

?Um, Akane...“ Ranma twiddled his fingers.

?It's okay, Ranma. I'm sorry I pushed you.“ Akane smiled a warm smile, making his heart stop for a moment.

?Uh, actually...“ Turning beet-red in the face, the red-headed girl inspected her own hands. „I wouldn't mind finding out – if you want, that is.“

Akane's smile threatened to challenge the sun when she answered: „I don't mind.“ She blushed herself. „I've been curious since I fell in love with you.“ Sigh! „I'm really nervous, though.“

?Me too.“

Slowly leaning toward each other, Ranma and Akane touched their lips together. Very self-conscious at first, but quickly growing passionate in their doing, they roamed each other's backs...

~~~~~~

The next day.

Where the hell am I now? Ryôga was lost like always. Grabbing a passer-by, he asked: “Where am I?“

gSay, Ryôga...“ Daisuke looked at him flat-eyed, “How come you always pick ME out of the crowd?“

gUh... Daisuke?“ Realization dawning on him, Ryôga let go of the scholar. “So I guess this is Fûrinkan-kôkô?“

gYup, right. An' you're standing in the baseball lot.“ When Daisuke went off, the lost boy heard him say something about sprinklers...

gDais-kun, your change!“ Ukyô stopped right before the water fountains. “Oh, great.“ Looking down in dismay, she saw a black piglet. “How did you get here, P-chan?“ Being held close to the girls chest, Ryôga missed her saying: “Let's go find Akane. She'll be glad ta have ya back.“ Instead, he snuggled up, enjoying the ride.

~~~~~~

gReally?“ Akane playfully poked her husband in the ribs. “Then how come she tried to kill you, in the first place, hm?“

gI, uh...“ Ranma didn't quite know how to answer this one.

g'kane-kun!“ Ukyô entered the classroom, and Ranma spit his drink in Hiroshi's face.

Akane turned around. When she saw what her friend was holding, the homeroom suddenly went dark, her aura sucking up all light. “Ry-ô-ga.“

Hearing the low, yet thundering, expression of his name, the man-turned-pig turned around in terror. Wriggling out of Ukyô's grasp, he ran as fast as his hoofs would take him, Akane following closely behind.

gWhat's with her?“ Ukyô pointed at the shroud of black light quickly fading out of sight.

gUm, uh... Dunno.“ Ranma scratched the back of his head nervously.

~~~~~~

gSorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...“ Ryôga knelt before Akane, sporting at least two dozen lumps.

gTell me one good cause not to finish you off!“ Standing over the eternally lost boy, the angel of vengeance had taken the form of Akane, her eyes glowing with fiery anger.

gI-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... to...“ Ryôga's mind shut down.

Seeing the boy before her stare at her in pure terror, Akane powered down. Oh my god, I'm doing it again! Her face was locked in disgust at herself. “Stand up, Ryôga. I won't hurt you.“ Seeing as he didn't react, she grabbed both of his shoulders and shook him wildly.

Ryôga's head lolled back.

gJust great.“ She dropped the lifeless body and stomped off.

When he came to ten minutes later, Ryôga wrote a letter and then wandered off in search of a mailbox.

~~~~~~

Evening. Tendô-ke.

gSo, what did ya want ta tell me that you couldn't at school?“ Ukyô sat in the main room, Ranma and Akane sitting opposite her, near the engawa.

gWell, you see...“ started Akane. A splash in the pond and squealing noises interrupted her. “Ranma, would you kindly take care of him?“ Laying two fingers to her forehead, she hooked a thumb at the black piglet. “And bring him with you, afterwards.“

gI'm sorry, but...“ Ukyô was cut off by Akane raising her hand.

gSo am I, but seeing as our main subject accidentally joined us, we'll have to wait a little.“ The girl motioned for her friend to take a cookie. “Don't sweat it, I didn't make them.“ She smilingly shrugged at Ukyô's sheepish grin.

Shortly thereafter, Ranma came in with a wet Ryôga.

gI don't understand. Ranma, where's P-chan?“ Seeing Ryôga look down and Akane bury her face in her hand, Ukyô asked: “What?“

Akane turned to face Ryôga: “Do you want to tell her, or should I?“

The lost boy solemnly shook his head and knelt down. Bowing to Ukyô, he said: “I am sorry, but I am P-chan.“

After a while of blankly staring into the room, Ukyô jumped up, screamed “HENTAI!“, and whacked Ryôga over the head with her spatula.

gHey, look who's talking!“ Ryôga jumped up and knocked her spatula out of her hand.

gOh yeah!? Well, at least I don't sleep in other peoples' beds!“

While those two were quarreling, Ranma and Akane threw each other knowing glances. Somehow, these arguments were looking much too familiar.

Meanwhile, Ukyô had jumped Ryôga, and they were effectively continuing their fight in the yard.

gShould we separate them?“ Akane looked at her husband. He looked back at her.

gNah.“

Laughing, they just sat and watched.

~~~~~~

Later that evening. Tendô-dôjô.

Onna-Ranma was angrily breaking bricks row by row.

gRanma?“ Akane came in and stared at her husbands back. I've never seen him do that, before.

gDaijobu ka?“

gI'm fine.“ answered Ranma through gritted teeth, all-the-while breaking more bricks.

Why is he so angry all of a sudden? Akane went around the female boy and looked at him. “Are you sure you're alright?“

gI said I'm fine!“ Ranma's head snapped upward. “Don't you get that!?“

gWell, excuse me for caring!“ Akane stamped her foot. “And now tell me what's bugging you!“

gFine!! I'm having my period, okay!? Now leave me alone!“ Ranma went back to smashing bricks.

gUh...“ Akane couldn't stop blinking. Recovering a minute later, she smiled at her husband, clasping her hands behind her back: “I'm sorry. Wanna spar?“

Ranma looked up, and his face softened. “Yeah, thanks.“ With that he went to the middle of the dôjô.

Akane followed. While bowing, she said: “But don't think I'll go easy on you just because you're not feeling well.“ She then charged in.

gI was hoping you'd say that, but I doubt it.“ the red-head said under her breath.

~~~~~~

gSo, why don't you change back, then?“ Akane sat beside Ranma, using the towel around her neck to wipe her face. “After all, you have the choice.“

Ranma grinned wistfully, wiping at his cheeks. “You woudln't know, would you?“ He then turned to face his wife: “Ya see, as long as I'm havin' my period, I can't change back.“

gYou mean, your curse locks up?“

gYeah, that's how ya could put it.“ Smirkingly, he added: “Maybe I shoulda changed back after Ryôga splashed me.“ He then laughed a hollow laugh.

gYeah, I guess so.“ Akane cuddled the buxom red-head. After a while, she stood up. “Come on, let's go to bed.“

Ranma didn't move an inch. “You go ahead.“

Akane stopped. “Oh no, you don't!“ She stomped back to her husband and hauled him up by his pigtail. “And now let's go.“

Ranma looked down. “But... But I--“ A slap silenced him, and he looked at his wife, perplexed.

gAnyone home up there?“ Akane started to smile, again. “Come on, we've slept together as girls even before we were married. “Hell, we...“ She whispered into Ranma's ear, “did even worse than that.“ Seeing steam coming from his ears, she grinned impishly. “Now that's my Ranma.“

Akane then dragged him off to the bathroom. “Come on, let's get cleaned up, first.“

Ranma blushed.

~~~~~~

gOhohohohohoho!! So Ranma-sama has married that girl?“ Kunô Kodachi read the report Sasuke had handed her.

gYes, mistress. What will you be going to do with that information, if I may kindly ask?“ The ninja bowed before her.

gWell, have my fun, of course.“ The young woman stood up. “I cannot NOT express them my condolences.“ Letting out a sinister laugh, she entered her laboratory.

~~~~~~

gCome on, Ranma, we're gonna be late.“ Akane raced out of the gate. Onna-Ranma followed closely behind, a slice of bread hanging from her mouth.

Catching up, he asked: “Why? It's not like we overslept or sumthin'.“

gWith you around, there's bound to be trouble.“ Smirking at her husband's pout, she continued: “Or would you say you're NO trouble-magnet?“ With that, she jumped onto the fence.

Ranma faltered. “Well, no. I just figured it wouldn't happen before lunch.“ Saying so, he jumped up, too, racing his wife to school.

~~~~~~

Making her breakfast-okonomiyaki, Ukyô hummed a happy tune.

Suddenly, both of her spatulas snapped in two.

gA bad omen.“ she whispered under her breath.

~~~~~~

Ryôga stood before his tent, looking at the kettle that had just exploded into his face. This can't be good.

~~~~~~

Somewhere in Nerima's shopping district, a bicycle bell rang.


-----------------------
Author’s notes:
Yeah, I know – but I couldn't resist the cliffhanger. :P

I'm not really good at this corny stuff, but Ranma's self-consciousness concerning his curse needed to be dealt with. The psychological background isn't a problem, it's letting the characters react to it is what makes me feel queasy. Well, just felt like tellin' ya.

I haven't had any pre-readers for this chapter, so please show mercy.

As always, please send C&C to . Please don't send me flames – I've got central heating!

No chapter announcement this time – half of it is still outlined on solid paper. ^^°

Ja ne,
Ranma-sensei