Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki - Dark Justice ❯ Bloody Dawn ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Nabiki-- Dark Justice

-----
Disclaimer: The rights to Ranma 1/2 belong to Rumiko Takahashi and any others that she has liscenced them to.
Black Hood is the property of Impact Comics
-----

Chapter 2

"Alright, Miss Tendo, let's go over this one last time. You and your boyfriend were attacked outside the auditorium, and then..."

Nabiki was acutely aware of the locker key in her pocket as she once again repeated her story to the police detective. The first thing she'd done upon arriving in Nerima was to stash the money in a rental locker at the station. Her story would be hard enough to swallow without several million Yen in drug money to complicate the issue.

"As I said before, officer, he insisted that we split up. He said he'd draw them off and then meet up with me here, in the Nerima station... I waited, but when he didn't show up... I just know something's happened to him, I just know it!" 'Careful, girl,' she warned herself, 'don't overdo it now.'

The detective took a few more notes before responding.

"Well, Miss Tendo, all I can do for now is notify the Tokyo Precinct of the situation and see if they've come across anything. The best thing you can do at the moment is go home and rest. With any luck he's on a later train and will call you when he gets in."

As the detective escorted her to the taxi that would take her home, Nabiki pondered the last couple of hours. Of everything that had happened, what troubled her the most were her reactions, or rather, her lack of them. Her friend Toshi was dead, shot in the head right in front of her... One would expect just a little more emotion than what she was currently feeling, right? And yet... All the really felt at the moment, was a grin satisfaction that his death had been avenged.

She cared... Didn't she? Yet, here she was, calm as could be, lying to the police, prepared to lie to her family as well. Then again, what else could she do? How could she explain her actions in the alley? No, better to keep quiet, let it blow over...

Then there was the hood. Why did she still have it? Why hadn't she tossed it immediately? That still troubled her... Time and time again, as she had waited for the proper time to call the police, she had been ready to toss it in the nearest trashcan, when something had stopped her. Why? It didn't take a genius to realize the hood was trouble, trouble she really didn't need in her life... Yet there it was, its' weight negligable, yet strangely reassuring in her purse.

Shaking her head to clear it, she thanked the officer escorting her and got into her cab. Now was most definitely NOT the time for an internal argument, no, now was the time for rational thought. When the cops found Toshi's body, as well as the thugs she'd killed, things were going to get messy.

Coincidentally, back in the alleyway where the whole mess started, someone agreed with her.

"What a fucking mess," mused Detective Takamoro.

Twelve Tong, two cops, one teenager, and an unidentified gaijin, all dead. Add to that five kilos of heroin, that up until yesterday morning had been sitting in a police evidence locker, and what you got was the mother of all migraine headaches. Having all of this dumped in his lap at what was fast becoming the ass-crack of dawn wasn't helping matters either.

Firing up a smoke, he made his way over to the mobile crime lab, hoping against hope that SOMEBODY had a fucking clue as to what had gone down here.

"Gimme some good news here, Yoshi."

The expression on the lab tech's face blew his hopes out of the water even before the man answered.

"No can do, lieutenant, no can do. The more evidence we gather, the less sense the whole scenario makes."

Takamoro could feel his day getting worse by the minute, not that it could get much worse than it already was. Well, nothing for it, might as well get started here.

"So... What DO you have for me?"

"Well, sir, try this for fun. You've got sixteen people, fifteen of them armed with various handguns, all of which were fired I might add, yet ten of the folks here did not die of gunshot wounds."

"Well, what the hell did they die of, then?"

"Best I can tell, they died from blows delivered in hand to hand combat, some, judging from the bruise size, were courtesy of the gaijin over there. Who, incidentally, died of many, many gunshot wounds, a good number of which, I am certain, were delivered post-mortem."

"Alright, then. That much makes a crazy kind of sense so far. We've got two crooked cops selling five kilos of heroin. For reasons unknown, we have a crazy gaijin vigilante show up outta nowhere, and start busting heads. He's outnumbered, gets plugged, then, they plug him some more out of sheer pissitivity. Then what? And where does the kid fit in?"

"Well, sir, that's where it gets weird. I'm guessing the kid was capped before the gaijin showed, which might have been the reason he jumped in, but... Well, I can't be completely sure without a full post-mortem in the lab, but the bruises on the majority of the corpses suggest that they were done in by a rather petite girl, or a man with extremely small hands and feet. Which is well nigh impossible when you take into account the sheer amount of damage each blow did. A man your size would literally need a bat to do the level of tissue and bone damage I'm seeing here."

Disbelief plain on his face, Takamoro let his gaze sweep the carnage of the alley before replying.

"There is no way that can be right... So what you're saying is that some girl or some punk kid wandered into a group of pissy trigger-happy hoodlums and wiped the floor with them? I dunno, Yoshi, that just seems kinda hard to swallow. Tell ya what, gimme a call when you get anything else, alright? I've got about a ton of paperwork to do, and that's BEFORE your full report filters through."

"Will do, sir."

Heading for the station, Takamoro was certain of one thing... It was gonna be a looong day.

Tbc